Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marshawn Powell

Started by -Blu, January 08, 2012, 08:45:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

I was just curious will this count as a redshirt year for Powell?  Would be nice if we could have this guy healthy for 2 more years.

DoubleJ

Yeah, he should qualify for a medical redshirt.

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: DoubleJ on January 08, 2012, 08:46:48 am
Yeah, he should qualify for a medical redshirt.
If he didn't play this year he can take a regular redshirt.

Dogtown Donkey

He easily qualifies for a medical redshirt. I've seen kids play like 6 games and still get a medical redshirt.

marc lee

What does his recovery schedule look like?

idochog

I love Jesus!

TNhawgfan

two games should definitely count for medical redshirt
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Academic

Quote from: Hog Fan from Camden on January 08, 2012, 11:34:11 am
If he didn't play this year he can take a regular redshirt.

What do you mean IF he didn't play??

jamie72921

Yes, this will be a redshirt year for him.

A medical hardship is only applied for if they have already burned their 5 years up.
Bless your heart

Hogifianakis

Quote from: jamie72921 on January 09, 2012, 12:04:12 am

A medical hardship is only applied for if they have already burned their 5 years up.

I think even if you play in one game you cannot redshirt.  Powell played in at least a couple games this year.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hogifianakis on January 09, 2012, 11:34:58 am
I think even if you play in one game you cannot redshirt.  Powell played in at least a couple games this year.

Wrong.

"The NCAA states that a basketball player can only be eligible for a medical redshirt (otherwise known as "medical hardship waiver") only if he/she has participated in less than 20 percent of his/her school's games. This includes preseason games and non-conference games. Therefore, if a player is injured in the last non-conference game (most schools play more than 10 such games before their conference season begins), she would not be eligible for a medical redshirt."
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hogifianakis

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 09, 2012, 11:43:12 am
Wrong.

"The NCAA states that a basketball player can only be eligible for a medical redshirt (otherwise known as "medical hardship waiver") only if he/she has participated in less than 20 percent of his/her school's games. This includes preseason games and non-conference games. Therefore, if a player is injured in the last non-conference game (most schools play more than 10 such games before their conference season begins), she would not be eligible for a medical redshirt."

I was talking about a regular redshirt.  Of course he can get a medical redshirt.

You are so smart!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hogifianakis on January 09, 2012, 04:54:06 pm
I was talking about a regular redshirt.  Of course he can get a medical redshirt.

You are so smart!

Why in the world would you assume we're talking about regular redshirts in this thread about Marshawn?

When you said "Powell played in at least a couple games this year," you honestly thought Powell couldn't redshirt.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Academic

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 09, 2012, 04:59:35 pm
Why in the world would you assume we're talking about regular redshirts in this thread about Marshawn?

When you said "Powell played in at least a couple games this year," you honestly thought Powell couldn't redshirt.

Read the posts above. There are obviously some people here who thought that Powell didn't play in a single game this year.

Chill out, dude.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Academic on January 10, 2012, 07:34:47 am
Read the posts above. There are obviously some people here who thought that Powell didn't play in a single game this year.

Chill out, dude.

LOL "chill?"....on a message board? Please. It's digital text...any emotion you derive from it is of your own making.

And looking at the posts above, there is no one I see who thinks Powell hasn't already played a game. Someone gave a scenario ("if he didn't play this year") that you misunderstood.

Powell CAN redshirt, and he DID play in two games.

Hogifianakis

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 09, 2012, 04:59:35 pm

CHILL - if you had actually read the posts above instead of jumping on your high horse you would have seen I was responding to someone who thought he could just redshirt without a medical waiver. 

Apology accepted.

99toLife

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 10, 2012, 08:09:32 am
LOL "chill?"....on a message board? Please. It's digital text...any emotion you derive from it is of your own making.

Awesome...I may have to steal that and use in the future!

HawgAdvocate

January 10, 2012, 09:59:43 am #17 Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:06:45 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: Hogifianakis on January 10, 2012, 09:50:37 am
CHILL - if you had actually read the posts above instead of jumping on your high horse you would have seen I was responding to someone who thought he could just redshirt without a medical waiver. 

Apology accepted.

LOL...why should I apologize when you and Jamie are both wrong?

Jamie said hardships only come after five years. That's not true. Hardships come into play anytime a kid plays in less than 20% of the team's games from early on in the season, and an injury ends the kid's season. They can be applied for before a regular "redshirt" is ever used, thus the five year period doesn't have to be met.

You were wrong about Powell's redshirt qualifications. You can play in more than "one game" and still redshirt.

Don't get your panties in a wad for being corrected. You got 'smart' with your previous response, so don't act like you've done nothing wrong.

Hogifianakis

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 10, 2012, 09:59:43 am
LOL...why should I apologize when you and Jamie are both wrong?

Jamie said hardships only come after five years. That's not true. Hardships come into play anytime a kid plays in less than 20% of the team's games from early on in the season, and an injury ends the kid's season. They can be applied for before a regular "redshirt" is ever used, thus the five year period doesn't have to be met.

You were wrong about Powell's redshirt qualifications. You can play in more than "one game" and still redshirt.

Don't get your panties in a wad for being corrected. You got 'smart' with your previous response, so don't act like you've done nothing wrong.

Powell can't redshirt.  He needs a medical waiver.  He played this season.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hogifianakis on January 10, 2012, 10:24:08 am
Powell can't redshirt.  He needs a medical waiver.  He played this season.

Hogifianakis

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 10, 2012, 10:29:06 am

Dude just chill out and admit that you jumped on your high horse before reading the thread, it's clear I was responding to someone who thought Powell hadn't played and could straight up redshirt.  You immediately got your NCAA rule book off the shelf and proudly quoted it, saying "Wrong" he can redshirt with a medical waiver.  No shiite muslim sherlock.  Of course he played in less than 20% of his games.  I was not wrong in responding that he could not redshirt without a medical waiver.  I can't believe i'm in an argument with the Fonz.  I think Jump Ball just jumped the shark.  Later.

HawgAdvocate

January 10, 2012, 10:56:19 am #21 Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:59:45 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: Hogifianakis on January 10, 2012, 10:49:40 am
Dude just chill out and admit that you jumped on your high horse before reading the thread, it's clear I was responding to someone who thought Powell hadn't played and could straight up redshirt.  You immediately got your NCAA rule book off the shelf and proudly quoted it, saying "Wrong" he can redshirt with a medical waiver.  No shiite muslim sherlock.  Of course he played in less than 20% of his games.  I was not wrong in responding that he could not redshirt without a medical waiver.  I can't believe i'm in an argument with the Fonz.  I think Jump Ball just jumped the shark.  Later.

"Medical waiver" = "medical redshirt"

That's what you continue to miss. In your original post that I quoted, you were responding to Jamie, who said "this will be a redshirt year for him."

That was factually accurate. This IS a redshirt year for Marshawn. It's a "medical redshirt" year for him.

In your quoted response to Jamie, you THEN said Marshawn couldn't "redshirt," even after playing a single game. You were wrong. I corrected you. You got 'smart.'

This terminology has you all twisted, and your smart-mouth responses have only made this a bigger deal than it had to be. 

Hogifianakis

No I understand it perfectly. There is a difference between a regular redshirt and a medical redshirt.  You were just so eager to show everyone how smart you are that you didn't read the thread.  People were saying maybe he could have a regular redshirt and would not need a medical redshirt.  I was just pointing out that he had played this year.  And then this hilarity ensued.  I bet you're fun to hang out with.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hogifianakis on January 10, 2012, 10:59:15 am
People were saying maybe he could have a regular redshirt and would not need a medical redshirt.

False. There is no post above that says this.

Hogifianakis

Hogifianakis

Hogifianakis

Quote from: jamie72921 on January 09, 2012, 12:04:12 am

HawgAdvocate

January 10, 2012, 11:03:16 am #27 Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:06:07 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: Hogifianakis on January 10, 2012, 11:01:43 am
You STILL haven't read the thread FONZ

Yeah, I have. I even mentioned it above.

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 10, 2012, 08:09:32 am
And looking at the posts above, there is no one I see who thinks Powell hasn't already played a game. Someone gave a scenario ("if he didn't play this year") that you misunderstood.

Reading is fundamental.

In all actuality, you were the one who was "too eager" to say something that was unwarranted. This is a medical redshirt situation. Jamie was wrong about the 5 year qualification, but he was right about Powell redshirting this year. He just didn't go that extra mile in typing out "medical" for the anal retentive.

Hogifianakis

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 10, 2012, 11:03:16 am
Yeah, I have. I even mentioned it above.

Reading is fundamental.

In all actuality, you were the one who was "too eager" to say something that was unwarranted. This is a medical redshirt situation. Jamie was wrong about the 5 year qualification, but he was right about Powell redshirting this year. He just didn't go that extra mile in typing out "medical" for the anal retentive.

I just pointed out that he had played, in response to the talk about redshirt vs. medical redshirt.  You were excited to use your new 2012 NCAA rule book that you got for christmas!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hogifianakis on January 10, 2012, 11:10:28 am
I just pointed out that he had played..

And it was that observation (amongst others... "You are so smart"), Captain Obvious, that really wasn't needed.

Even then, he could still redshirt after playing a game. Hence, you were still wrong (according to my oh-so-trusty 2012 NCAA rule book). ;)

Hogifianakis

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 10, 2012, 11:15:49 am
And it was that observation (amongst others... "You are so smart"), Captain Obvious, that really wasn't needed.

Even then, he could still redshirt after playing a game. Hence, you were still wrong (according to my oh-so-trusty 2012 NCAA rule book). ;)

Ok, but you really know what I meant when I said that, you are just saying that TECHNICALLY I was wrong when I said he couldn't redshirt, when it's obvious it was in response to regular vs. medical.

You can't admit you didn't read the thread, and jumped on your high horse. I gotta go, it's been fun.

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: Academic on January 08, 2012, 06:56:03 pm
What do you mean IF he didn't play??
I forgot he played this year.  Thought he was injured before the season started.

Athog