Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Report: CFP leaders discussing 14-team model with multiple automatic qualifiers

Started by jbcarol, February 28, 2024, 06:49:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Report: CFP leaders discussing 14-team model with multiple automatic qualifiers for Big Ten, SEC, Big 12, ACC

by:
Nick Schultz

QuoteCollege Football Playoff leaders have discussed a new 14-team model with multiple automatic qualifiers for power conferences, Yahoo! Sports' Ross Dellenger reported. The Big Ten, SEC, ACC and Big 12 would each receive multiple automatic bids under the new-look format.

The Big Ten and SEC would both get three automatic bids under the proposed model while the ACC and Big 12 would each receive two bids. To round out the field, the Group of 5 would get one automatic qualifier and three teams would receive at-larges.

The proposal is "nowhere near finalized" nor is it the only option
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Sweet Feet

I hate that proposal. No conference should get multiple autobids when other conferences dont have a definitive one. Thats BS. I dont care how deep the SEC is. If they still decide to go that route, they should expand to 16 and have 3 autobids from the 4 power conferences each, 2 G5 Champs, and 2 atlarges.  Personally i say if you want multiple autobids for some conferences, then expand to 24 teams like the FCS so you can get 4 autobids from all 4 power conferences, an autobid for each G5 champ, and 3 atlarges.

Someone will figure out an Antitrust lawsuit sooner or later.

Mike_e

Quote from: Sweet Feet on February 28, 2024, 06:56:22 pmI hate that proposal. No conference should get multiple autobids when other conferences dont have a definitive one. Thats BS. I dont care how deep the SEC is. If they still decide to go that route, they should expand to 16 and have 3 autobids from the 4 power conferences each, 2 G5 Champs, and 2 atlarges.  Personally i say if you want multiple autobids for some conferences, then expand to 24 teams like the FCS so you can get 4 autobids from all 4 power conferences, an autobid for each G5 champ, and 3 atlarges.

If the rest of them raise too big of a fuss then the big 2 will most likely go to 24 teams and find a new place to live.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

jbcarol

College Football Playoff likely to expand again to 14 in 2026, reports say

By Creg Stephenson |

Expansion imminent, "3-3-2-2-1″ format in the forefront

Quote12-team College Football Playoff format could be short-lived if discussions among the CFP Management Committee continue to develop.

There is "momentum" and optimism for a 14-team format beginning in 2026, according to a report Wednesday by ESPN. The playoff moves from four teams to 12 beginning this fall, but the CFP's current television deal expires after the 2025 season.

What a 14-team playoff would look like is still being hammered out. Yahoo Sports reported Wednesday that there is a push for a "3-3-2-2-1″ format, that is, three automatic bids each from the SEC and Big Ten, two each from the Big 12 and ACC, one for the highest-rated Group of 5 conference champion and three at-large spots.

Any final decision on further playoff expansion would likely come by mid-March, according to multiple reports. It was widely reported earlier this month that ESPN had reached a six-year, $6.7 billion deal to televise the playoff through 2031, though there has been pushback on those reports from various conference commissioners.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

AHiD

It should realistically be no less than 16, and my preference is 24 and to include all conference champions with the rest of the spots filled in by at large bids
My name...is Jerruh

go hogues

Quote from: Mike_e on February 28, 2024, 07:46:12 pmIf the rest of them raise too big of a fuss then the big 2 will most likely go to 24 teams and find a new place to live.
Its so obviously going that way anyway, they're just waiting for the ACC to implode.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

RebelliousHog

The only reason they want 14 rather than 16 (much more sensible) is to give the top 2 seeds a BYE therefore an easier road to the final game.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

jbcarol

Quote from: RebelliousHog on February 29, 2024, 07:23:49 amThe only reason they want 14 rather than 16 (much more sensible) is to give the top 2 seeds a BYE therefore an easier road to the final game.

TheTM Ohio State University clause

liljo

I think there should be no playoffs. And they shouldn't keep score. Just give everyone trophies!  ;)
After all, by using that strategy will fix all of society's woes!  ;D  ;D  :D  :)  ???  :-\
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: jbcarol on February 29, 2024, 07:25:13 amTheTM Ohio State University clause

Pretty much, although any of the consistent top 5 would apply. Ga, Michy, THE OSU, Bama, Tejas.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

hogsanity

Quote from: Mike_e on February 28, 2024, 07:46:12 pmIf the rest of them raise too big of a fuss then the big 2 will most likely go to 24 teams and find a new place to live.

This is a move to force just that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bennyl08

Quote from: Sweet Feet on February 28, 2024, 06:56:22 pmI hate that proposal. No conference should get multiple autobids when other conferences dont have a definitive one. Thats BS. I dont care how deep the SEC is. If they still decide to go that route, they should expand to 16 and have 3 autobids from the 4 power conferences each, 2 G5 Champs, and 2 atlarges.  Personally i say if you want multiple autobids for some conferences, then expand to 24 teams like the FCS so you can get 4 autobids from all 4 power conferences, an autobid for each G5 champ, and 3 atlarges.

Who's the power 4? There are only 2 full power conferences. ACC is arguably half a power conference if Clemson can get back on track. The Big 12? What is 'power' about that conference right now?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

SquidBilly

The ACC has three schools, Clemson, Miami, and Florida State (for now) that could at some point compete for a playoff spot.  Not sure who in the Big12 is worthy of that.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: Sweet Feet on February 28, 2024, 06:56:22 pmSomeone will figure out an Antitrust lawsuit sooner or later.

It was also reported this week that Presidents and Chancellors in the SEC and B1G are now having serious conversations about whether to continue their NCAA membership. No NCAA then no TV agreement and we start over. The source in the room said these people feel very strongly about pulling away.

The SEC and B1G are strong-arming college football as we speak. The Playoff byes are just a part of SuperConferences taking control. And it feels like things are changing at the speed of light.

hogsanity

Quote from: TUSKtimes on March 01, 2024, 04:36:07 amIt was also reported this week that Presidents and Chancellors in the SEC and B1G are now having serious conversations about whether to continue their NCAA membership. No NCAA then no TV agreement and we start over. The source in the room said these people feel very strongly about pulling away.

The SEC and B1G are strong-arming college football as we speak. The Playoff byes are just a part of SuperConferences taking control. And it feels like things are changing at the speed of light.

Are you sure it would negate the tv deals? The current deals are with the individual leagues for football. The NCAA's big tv deal is for the ncaat in basketball.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Mike_e

Quote from: liljo on February 29, 2024, 08:25:27 amI think there should be no playoffs. And they shouldn't keep score. Just give everyone trophies!  ;)
After all, by using that strategy will fix all of society's woes!  ;D  ;D  :D  :)  ???  :-\

If everybody was six you mean?

Mike_e

Quote from: SquidBilly on February 29, 2024, 04:08:43 pmThe ACC has three schools, Clemson, Miami, and Florida State (for now) that could at some point compete for a playoff spot.  Not sure who in the Big12 is worthy of that.

Utah?

Salty spork

Under that model, we should join the big 12.

The chances of arkansas finishing top 2 in the big 12 are far better than top 3 in the sec.

Salty spork

Quote from: AHiD on February 29, 2024, 07:11:54 amIt should realistically be no less than 16, and my preference is 24 and to include all conference champions with the rest of the spots filled in by at large bids
I like this becasue its an ideal way to break up the sec and big 10.

Also, this won't be it because its an ideal way to break up the sec and big 10.

Mike_e

Quote from: Salty spork on March 01, 2024, 11:26:30 amUnder that model, we should join the big 12.

The chances of arkansas finishing top 2 in the big 12 are far better than top 3 in the sec.

Considering that we'd still have to play the best of the SEC I'd call it no more than a push.

Salty spork

Quote from: Mike_e on March 01, 2024, 11:41:07 amConsidering that we'd still have to play the best of the SEC I'd call it no more than a push.
We have to play top teams anyhow. Once you get to the playoff its 3 hard teams in a row no matter what.

I would rather see Arkansas be a regular playoff team than a bottom middle of the pack SEC team.

I have not been for ditching the SEC. But if the big 12 gets 2 auto bids, I am going to be the conductor on the get out train.

Smithian

I liked the 4 team playoff. Wanted them to do the 8 team. Quietly accepted 12 as better than 4.

14 just seems like a basic conversation before 16 is settled on.

I just hope in my lifetime it doesn't go back 16. I think 8 would be perfect, 12 is fine, past that you get to the point that you'll have some teams logically considering sitting starters in their final games.

bennyl08

Quote from: Smithian on March 01, 2024, 02:10:53 pmI liked the 4 team playoff. Wanted them to do the 8 team. Quietly accepted 12 as better than 4.

14 just seems like a basic conversation before 16 is settled on.

I just hope in my lifetime it doesn't go back 16. I think 8 would be perfect, 12 is fine, past that you get to the point that you'll have some teams logically considering sitting starters in their final games.

I hate the 4 team system as we can see what effect on college football it had. Predictably, it narrowed the teams at the top and increased the gap b/w the have and have nots.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

SMB Hogfan

Quote from: SquidBilly on February 29, 2024, 04:08:43 pmThe ACC has three schools, Clemson, Miami, and Florida State (for now) that could at some point compete for a playoff spot.  Not sure who in the Big12 is worthy of that.

El Zippo. None. Nobody.

They are really just a high end G5 conference. The best of what they were left with, after Texas and OU left; would be hard pressed to get to .500 in the SEC or B1G. Their commissioner has been making noise about them being a basketball conference. So, I guess they've given up on football.
Fender Stratocaster
Icom 2200H w/ D-Star
M2 Mac Mini 🍎

jbcarol

First and 10: If the Head Ball Coach is concerned about Billy Napier, you probably should be, too
Matt Hayes | 21 minutes ago

Quote4. Changing course
For nearly 2 years, SEC commissioner Greg Sankey has publicly said the SEC prefers all at-large selections as the format for the new Playoff contract that begins in 2026.

Now it appears the league is backing off that stance in format negotiations — because the SEC doesn't trust the Playoff selection committee to get it right.

But the SEC switched its stance, in part, because of the unknown with the selection committee. Would the committee value the road to the Playoff taken by the SEC (and the Big Ten) over Notre Dame, the Big 12, ACC and Group of 5 conferences?

Would there be value in 9-3 LSU or 9-3 USC, over 11-1 Oklahoma State or 11-1 NC State?

Industry sources told SDS that the SEC and Big Ten initially floated 4 automatic qualifying spots each among the 14-team Playoff, but have since moved to 3 — and the guarantee that the 2 first-round byes in the tournament will annually be reserved for the SEC and Big Ten champions. No matter the records.

jbcarol

Casagrande: They've gone too far this time

QuoteESPN headline: Sources: 14-team College Football Playoff has 'momentum' would've been more of a shock to the system if not for the already disorienting recent drumbeat of proposed changes.

And yet we've sat here a week getting crop dusted by this back pasture of a plan. It's a reminder of the mess they've created of this wildly unregulated marketplace. Make no mistake about it, we're having this conversation because there's no real adult in a room that -- even structurally --

Before even launching the inaugural 12-team playoff season, they are peddling a plan to supersede the original expansion that took years to ram through. Now, it should be 14?

Of course, they are the SEC and Big Ten it feels like the precursor to the nuclear option.

Seriously. They're negotiating not just in the boardroom but in public with the leaked plans clearly designed to put pressure on the surviving top conferences.

This is nothing short of an attempted hostile takeover -- a test of just how powerful the SEC and Big Ten are in 2024. Fully stocked with their expanded rosters, the Power 2 are reportedly demanding three automatic bids for each, tossing two apiece for the Big 12 and ACC while letting the Group of 5 to wrestle over the others.

There's more. The SEC and Big Ten would get automatic byes. Like contractual free passes.

All that comes with the threat of -- get this -- secession from the rest of college sports.

hogsanity

What I find amazing is that anyone ever actually believed a playoff, of any kind, was actually going to be good for all of fbs, or even half of it.

Anyone with access to google, and 5 minutes, could see that a playoff was going to be populated 90% of the time from the same small pool of teams that had populated the top 15 for the last 6 decades.

The thought that a playoff was going to help g5 teams or teams like Vandy/Texas Tech/Colorado/Az St and others like them is just comical.

A playoff was always going to favor the top, just likes playoffs always do. With fbs having 130+schools, the divide was just going to be more apparent.

In pro sports, the Yankees need the Royals. The Chiefs need the Cardinals. In major college football Georgia doesn't need Northern Illinois. Ohio State doesn't need middle tn state.

bennyl08

Quote from: hogsanity on March 07, 2024, 02:49:05 pmWhat I find amazing is that anyone ever actually believed a playoff, of any kind, was actually going to be good for all of fbs, or even half of it.

Anyone with access to google, and 5 minutes, could see that a playoff was going to be populated 90% of the time from the same small pool of teams that had populated the top 15 for the last 6 decades.

The thought that a playoff was going to help g5 teams or teams like Vandy/Texas Tech/Colorado/Az St and others like them is just comical.

A playoff was always going to favor the top, just likes playoffs always do. With fbs having 130+schools, the divide was just going to be more apparent.

In pro sports, the Yankees need the Royals. The Chiefs need the Cardinals. In major college football Georgia doesn't need Northern Illinois. Ohio State doesn't need middle tn state.

It was obvious that the 4 team playoff would do that, yes.

However, look back at the BCS era. There was vastly more parity even during the 8 team BCS era than today. Further, I've objectively quantified an INCREASE in parity simply from expanding the BCS from 8 to 10 teams.

So yes, the 14 team playoff will almost unquestionably undo a lot of the bottlenecking of talent created by the 4 team playoff. Does that mean that schools like Bama and Ohio State and so on won't still regularly make deep runs in the playoff? Of course they will. Pure parity won't, and I'd argue shouldn't, be achieved. But you need those top teams to be on a reasonably climbable hill, not a nigh impassible cliff.

jbcarol

Report: College Football Playoff weighing new revenue model that would favor Big Ten, SEC

by:
Andrew Graham

QuoteB1G and SEC are continuing to push to elevate themselves above the rest...

The latest turn, according to Yahoo Sports' Ross Dellenger, is a push to get a bigger stake in the revenue.

The Big Ten and SEC are reportedly seeking to split 58% of the base revenue, while the Big 12 and ACC would be given 32% to share. That leaves 10% left for Notre Dame and the rest...

jbcarol

Hogkiller

Quote from: Salty spork on March 01, 2024, 11:28:33 amI like this becasue its an ideal way to break up the sec and big 10.

Also, this won't be it because its an ideal way to break up the sec and big 10.

I hate the all Conference Champion agenda.  Most of the Conference Champions would not have 5 wins in the SEC or Big 10.  They would be boring 63-3 games wasting TV air time.  That is just giving big Bowl games for Participation.  No one wants to watch Georgia Destrory A Garner Webb team come on.

jbcarol

Latest CFP revenue distribution proposal

Will it be necessary to keep the SEC and B1G involved :hmmm:
Paul Harvey | 

QuoteAccording to a Friday story from Ross Dellenger with Yahoo Sports, the latest revenue model proposals point out a certainty that any future model will drive a further gap between the SEC and Big Ten and the rest | Dellenger says the money aspect is currently a bigger piece of the future of the CFP than any format for the Playoff field.

Follow Ross Dellenger@RossDellenger
·

CFP is headed for a revenue model that draws a formal line between Power 2 & Other 2, with an annual $300M gap, sources tell @YahooSports.

Negotiations continue. A deadline looms. An industry is on edge.

"Would the Power 2 really leave if we say 'No'?"

jbcarol

Commissioner Sankey explains 'frustration' over College Football Playoff discussions

by:
Nick Schultz

QuoteAs the College Football Playoff gets ready to expand to 12 teams this year, the conversations continue about what happens behind the next two seasons. From further expansion to media rights and revenue distribution, it seems as though the CFP isn't done changing.

Sankey said he thinks the different topics being discussed now should've come up earlier, which is why he expressed "frustration" about where things stand.

"We have a reality for the College Football Playoff that says we need to be in conversations," Sankey said ahead of Friday's SEC women's basketball tournament game between Auburn and LSU. "And it's been a four-year work project for me that others decided to just put on the shelf for basically two years.

"Part of my frustration is the details that we're trying to grind through right now, we should've been grinding through back in 2022 or 2023, not 2024. But problems yield in effort, that's a mantra of mine."

Reports indicated multiple ideas the CFP is considering after the 2026 season when the current deal with ESPN expires. A 14-team model has been proposed, and reported discussions also included automatic byes for the Big Ten and SEC following their expansions. However, ESPN reported the CFP is reconsidering that idea after public backlash –

But Sankey had a message about what's being reported about the CFP's looming decisions, and he channeled Mississippi State athletic director Zac Selmon in the process:

"Myself and my colleagues – when I leave here, I'm going to jump on a phone call yet again. I told our ADs, I quoted Zac Selmon. So when Zac made a football change, in his press conference, he said unless it comes from me, don't believe it," Sankey said. "While I appreciate anonymous sources and the unnamed AD in this conference and unnamed AD in that conference, I told our athletics directors [and] our presidents and chancellors, unless it's coming from me, don't believe it and I'll tell you when it's true.

"It's a high-level piece of work. ... We've done something great with the College Football Playoff. We've clearly benefitted from them, I think the game has benefitted from the Playoff. There's a future opportunity to continue to grow and build."

hobhog

Seems like they spend all their time figuring out how to make more money when they should be concentrating on the illness that is NIL and free agency.

jbcarol

Report: ACC, Big 12 unanimously vote to authorize new College Football Playoff framework, attempt to remain relevant

by:
Nick Schultz

QuoteThe presidents from both conferences voted unanimously to approve the new CFP framework, Yahoo! Sports' Ross Dellenger reported.

There are a few components to the discussions about what's next for the CFP, starting in 2026 when the media deal with ESPN is set to expire. The network is reportedly preparing to re-up its agreement to the tune of a six-year, $7.8 billion deal, according to The Athletic's Andrew Marchand. That comes out to $1.3 billion annually –

Last week, Dellenger reported the Big Ten and SEC were proposing a model that would allow them to receive a bigger slice of the pie. The Big Ten and SEC are seeking to split 58% of the base revenue, while the Big 12 and ACC would be given 32% to share. That leaves 10% left for Notre Dame and the the Group of 5

Finally, there's the idea of possible expansion of the format. This year, the CFP field will move to 12 teams, and that model will be in place for at least the next two seasons. A 14-team model has been proposed, and reported discussions also included automatic byes for the Big Ten and SEC following their expansions. However, ESPN reported the CFP is reconsidering that idea after public backlash –

Greg Sankey expressed 'frustration' with College Football Playoff discussions

hogsanity

Quote from: hobhog on March 08, 2024, 08:31:35 pmSeems like they spend all their time figuring out how to make more money when they should be concentrating on the illness that is NIL and free agency.

Players having rights and making $ isn't an illness.

jbcarol

'This should have been done two years ago:'

College Football Playoff moves forward

Pete Nakos

QuoteCLEVELAND — On a week dedicated to conference basketball tournament madness, Jon Steinbrecher spent most of his time worried about the future of the College Football Playoff.

In Locker Room I, to be exact.

Similar to his peers across the college football landscape, the Mid-American Conference commissioner has been entrenched on phone calls as conferences gathered to sign off on the future revenue distribution model of the College Football Playoff. Now in his 14th year leading the conference, he was emphatic Friday afternoon that no TV deal with ESPN has been signed yet.

"Today's semifinals were the first full games I've seen the whole tournament. That's life," he said.

All nine FBS conferences and Notre Dame agreed to a revenue distribution model Friday for the next College Football Playoff contract which will begin in 2026 when the current deal with ESPN expires. The contract guarantees at least 12 teams will make it into the playoff through 2031, with options for playoff expansion.

Where Steinbrecher sits, he's a proponent of further expansion. Speaking with On3 on Friday, he said he's always been a supporter of a 14 or 16-team model. Somewhere between 12 to 16 is a good number, he said, only upping the chances for a MAC program to secure a bid. Among the terms agreed to Friday, conference champions from the ACC, Big Ten, SEC and Big 12 along with the highest-ranked Group of 5 champion will secure playoff berths.

Notre Dame also has protections.

Group of 5 conferences are set to reportedly make $1.8 million annually with the new TV contract. However, Big Ten and SEC institutions will be bringing in more than $21 million. The ACC is set to distribute more than $13 million annually, while Big 12 schools will get over $12 million each.

Over his time with the conference, Steinbrecher has seen waves of conference realignment and the evolution of postseason college football from BCS, to a four-team model and now more than 12. This latest iteration — especially with uneven revenue distribution amongst the Power 4 —

hobhog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 13, 2024, 08:56:26 pmPlayers having rights and making $ isn't an illness.

Quote from: hogsanity on March 13, 2024, 08:56:26 pmPlayers having rights and making $ isn't an illness.

They have always had rights and ability to make $.

jbcarol

Group of 5 conferences could form own 'tournament,' per CFB insider
Andrew Olson | 

QuoteThere is "buzz" about a G5 "tournament."

The chatter comes as the CFP is changing to 12 teams starting with the upcoming postseason for the 2024 season. The format for the next 2 years is described as 5-7. The 5 highest-ranked conference champions are guaranteed to be in the Playoff, with the next 7 spots going to the highest-ranked available at-large teams.

The CFP is set to feature "at least" 12 teams for 2026 and beyond, as the FBS conferences and Notre Dame agreed to a new contract in March that paved the way for a massive media rights extension with ESPN. There have been talks of a 14-team format, with Power conferences being allotted multiple auto bids.

Reaction to Group of 5 tourney talk divided
Early reactions to the potential Group of 5 split showed two schools of thought. Some feel G5 conferences would be hurting themselves by having their teams compete for a separate championship. Others feel it's long overdue.