Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If AA plays like 2016 AA . . .

Started by Shorttimer, September 01, 2017, 08:03:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Shorttimer

If AA plays his normal game last night, nobody would be as worried about the offensive line today and we'd be talking about laying the wood to the Frogs.  But you've got to put the blame for the offensive shakiness squarely on AA.  As a 5th year senior and a second year starter, he absolutely has to recognize blitzes more quickly and get to his hot read or his check down.  It was as if he had no idea what he was looking at last night.  Even on his most significant completions (the TD to Stewart and the completion to Barnes), he was hit because he was late to his targets.  He just failed to see several open targets down field.  And two of his throws were absolutely inexcusable.  The good news is history indicates he'll figure it out.  Hopefully in the next 10 days.

I think the O-line is getting a bad rap today.  For all of the moving and shaking, I thought they performed very well.  They gave up one sack and that was on a play that AA extended out of the pocket with a short clock at the end of the half.  Good lord, I know it was FAMU, but Ragnow and Froholdt created some colossal black holes in the middle.  And I'm not sure Austin Cantrell wouldn't be the best right guard on the team if we put him there. 

On top of all of that, our RB situation is as good as I've seen it since Williams and Collins, and we might be even a little deeper and more explosive than we were then. I can't wait to see Hammonds and Hayden hit the throttle.  My suspicion is we have a lot of home run capability.

All in all, I think everyone is being a little hard on a group that is finding quite a few new pieces.  The worst performance last night from the starting offense was AA.

AugustaHog

I was less concerned with the OL than I was with AA holding the ball forever.  Colton Jackson had a couple rough moments, but there were other times when he had plenty of time and still got sacked.  It could be because the receiver wasn't where they were supposed to be or they weren't open.  There are a ton of logistics for Enos to fix this week.  At least we looked much better running the ball!

Großer Kriegschwein

Our receivers need to get some separation and stay on their routes. Part of the problem is AA having to figure out which receiver is where he is supposed to be and then of those, which one is actually open.

Same thing happened to Brandon in '13 & '14.

Now, he was staring down receivers again. That will have to stop come next week. He was limited in practice this fall to keep him healthy and uninjured, so it's easy to see why Kelley was able to run the offense as good (to the casual observer anyway).

This is my non-signature signature.

BigHog396

Quote from: Shorttimer on September 01, 2017, 08:03:39 am
If AA plays his normal game last night, nobody would be as worried about the offensive line today and we'd be talking about laying the wood to the Frogs.  But you've got to put the blame for the offensive shakiness squarely on AA.  As a 5th year senior and a second year starter, he absolutely has to recognize blitzes more quickly and get to his hot read or his check down.  It was as if he had no idea what he was looking at last night.  Even on his most significant completions (the TD to Stewart and the completion to Barnes), he was hit because he was late to his targets.  He just failed to see several open targets down field.  And two of his throws were absolutely inexcusable.  The good news is history indicates he'll figure it out.  Hopefully in the next 10 days.

I think the O-line is getting a bad rap today.  For all of the moving and shaking, I thought they performed very well.  They gave up one sack and that was on a play that AA extended out of the pocket with a short clock at the end of the half.  Good lord, I know it was FAMU, but Ragnow and Froholdt created some colossal black holes in the middle.  And I'm not sure Austin Cantrell wouldn't be the best right guard on the team if we put him there. 

On top of all of that, our RB situation is as good as I've seen it since Williams and Collins, and we might be even a little deeper and more explosive than we were then. I can't wait to see Hammonds and Hayden hit the throttle.  My suspicion is we have a lot of home run capability.

All in all, I think everyone is being a little hard on a group that is finding quite a few new pieces.  The worst performance last night from the starting offense was AA.
AA played just like he did at the end of last season... that's the problem.

He looked pretty good for about 8 games last year, but his decision making toward the end of last season became a big problem.  We saw the same decision making issues last night, and it was against lowly FAMU.  The SEC Network announcers talked about watching AA in practice earlier in the week, and said he looked very shaky in that practice.  I'm afraid we are seeing the real AA, and if that's the case we are in for a long season.

hawg66

Shorttimer

Quote from: hawg66 on September 01, 2017, 09:25:06 am
He was 14 of 19 with 2 dropped
I like AA and think he will get it all together. But his completion percentage last night was irrelevant.  His reads were shaky, his throws were late and his high completion percentage was primarily attributable to the fact that the majority of his passes were short outs and bubbles.  Most troubling is that he didn't appear to gain any type of confidence, command or poise while the rest of the offense seemed to be getting a bit of mojo.  It almost looks like he's thinking too hard. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I have faith that they will get it turned around and proven by Saturday night...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

DLUXHOG

yes... and yet there are still pissers and moaners on this board..........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Shorttimer

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 01, 2017, 11:55:11 am
I have faith that they will get it turned around and proven by Saturday night...
Me too.  I'm encouraged that a lot of the things I was worried about before the game seemed to be better than I anticipated.  I'm actually more optimistic for this season after last night.

If Austin is our biggest worry going into TCU, we might be in pretty good shape.

popcornhog

I don't think it's completion percentage that people are worried about. It's timing. He was hit a lot by a lowly team -- if he isn't sharper that could easily translate to sacks, turnovers, and/or injuries against better defenses.

Of course, it's week one, so who knows.
WPS

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: BigHog396 on September 01, 2017, 09:02:11 am
AA played just like he did at the end of last season... that's the problem.

Settle down. Last night was most comparable to how AA played against La Tech last year

thehill1414

Not sure if anyone else caught this, but after the game on SEC Now, they went back to Jordan Rodgers and the other announcer to discuss the game. They had attended practice on Tuesday and said AA looked very shaky at practice. They were not impressed Tuesday and just wrote it off to a bad day because of last year's success.

Between the short completion that was almost a miss to O'Grady (great catch) and holding onto the ball for what seemed like forever, it tells you everything you need to know. AA just doesn't trust these receivers yet, is waiting on them to get open, and as a result of them not being open with defenders closing in, is trying to guide the ball in there as opposed to playing loose and letting it fly. I realize O'Grady was open, but IMO once you've formed this habit it can be tough to break. He needs to get to work with the receivers over the next 8 days and play much looser next Saturday. 

hawg66

He didn't play great but all the angst is a bit much. The TD was a great strike under pressure. I think most of the problems were the new receivers. Last year Morgan was always open and never more than his second read. That safety net is gone. He held the ball too long and made about three bad throws and one of them was caught by Cheyenne. Relax and let him figure it out. I'm betting he will.

hawg66

Quote from: thehill1414 on September 01, 2017, 01:29:18 pm
Not sure if anyone else caught this, but after the game on SEC Now, they went back to Jordan Rodgers and the other announcer to discuss the game. They had attended practice on Tuesday and said AA looked very shaky at practice. They were not impressed Tuesday and just wrote it off to a bad day

Yes and Rogers was still saying that wasn't worrisome.

redneckfriend

It looked to me that he was holding the ball far too long. If this performance had been against an SEC team I wouldn't be too worried but it looked like the one thing that wasn't clicking was Allen ( some of that could be due to longer having the luxury of Hatcher and Morgan but still . . .). He (and the wide receivers) needs to find a rhythm with the passing game.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.