Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why UA/A&M Produced One of the Strangest Box Scores in SEC History

Started by edemire, February 26, 2015, 11:20:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

edemire

Arkansas got out-rebounded by 21, yet somehow had a 12-0 advantage in block shots.  That's crazy. Like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest-level nutso.

I wanted to know if anything like this had ever happened before, so I asked Mike Anderson, Matt Zimmerman and the braintrust at HogStats.com.

Here's what I found: http://thesportsseer.com/2015/02/26/mike-anderson-on-one-of-the-strangest-statistical-quirks-in-razorback-history/
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."
-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Jackrabbit Hog

While I agree it's extreme, I don't think it's that ridiculous.  If you are trying to block every shot, you are not blocking your man out and you are taking yourself out of position for a rebound.  And since we usually only have one big in the game at a time, and that big is trying to block shots, our chances to get defensive rebounds decrease.

But yeah, to be that lopsided is pretty crazy.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

edemire

Ok, you got me there with the hyperbole. I do agree with you on the reasons why. Still, what are the chances another team would be good/tall/athletic enough to out-rebound an SEC team by 21 yet still not tally a single block?

If I had 10 hours, I would actually get my bbstate.com on and find that exact percent for you/me/us, but alas - real life is out there.

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 26, 2015, 11:24:06 am
While I agree it's extreme, I don't think it's that ridiculous.  If you are trying to block every shot, you are not blocking your man out and you are taking yourself out of position for a rebound.  And since we usually only have one big in the game at a time, and that big is trying to block shots, our chances to get defensive rebounds decrease.

But yeah, to be that lopsided is pretty crazy.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."
-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

hogsanity

Quote from: edemire on February 26, 2015, 11:27:11 am
Ok, you got me there with the hyperbole. I do agree with you on the reasons why. Still, what are the chances another team would be good/tall/athletic enough to out-rebound an SEC team by 21 yet still not tally a single block?

If I had 10 hours, I would actually get my bbstate.com on and find that exact percent for you/me/us, but alas - real life is out there.

Some of it has to do too with how rarely the hogs take shots near the taller shot blocking types.  This team does not take it to the rim a lot, and when they do it is usually Portis or Harris, and they are tall and know how to avoid the block attempts.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: hogsanity on February 26, 2015, 11:42:00 am
Some of it has to do too with how rarely the hogs take shots near the taller shot blocking types.  This team does not take it to the rim a lot, and when they do it is usually Portis or Harris, and they are tall and know how to avoid the block attempts.
If Harris has learned to avoid block attempts then it has come during the latter half of this season. Last year and early part of this season he had to be the worst Hog in history with getting shots blocked. He'd drive and repeatedly get blocked by someone's chest last year.

hogsanity

Quote from: BBsTheMan on February 26, 2015, 11:51:08 am
If Harris has learned to avoid block attempts then it has come during the latter half of this season. Last year and early part of this season he had to be the worst Hog in history with getting shots blocked. He'd drive and repeatedly get blocked by someone's chest last year.

Most of hos shots as of late have either been 8-12 foot fade aways, or a little farther out than that. He has gotten some on O rebounds, and made a couple nice cuts. He has not been driving into three guys and forcing up stuff lately.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PORKULATOR

12 blocks in a game is incredible. I love this about our Hogs. I'd like more rebounds but I like the aggressive D we play.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: hogsanity on February 26, 2015, 12:19:18 pm
Most of hos shots as of late have either been 8-12 foot fade aways, or a little farther out than that. He has gotten some on O rebounds, and made a couple nice cuts. He has not been driving into three guys and forcing up stuff lately.
5th year senior FINALLY getting what his part is.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

bigred223

mhuff

Quote from: BBsTheMan on February 26, 2015, 11:51:08 am

Or turn over the ball which usually resulted in easy baskets on the other end. He wasn't by himself though.

DLUXHOG

Oliver Miller blocked 9 shots in one game..... Oh, yee haw......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

texhog

Tonight Vandy beat UT getting out rebounded by 18 but blocked 4 vs. 1