Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to open the Check book for Mike......

Started by WhiteHairedDevil, February 26, 2015, 08:13:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteHairedDevil

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 26, 2015, 09:15:10 am
We wouldn't have to match Texas to keep MA. Just stay in the ball park. He wants to be here. Isn't that a great feeling?

Indeed it is, unlike Dana Altman or what ever his name is.

JayBell

Most important thing: he JUST signed an extension less than two months ago.

I don't care how much money Texas has, no program is going to come in and offer Anderson a high enough pay raise that can pry Anderson away.  On top of having to offer him an insanely high salary (which Arkansas could most likely match), it has to be so high that Anderson will pay whatever buy-out to get out of his current contract.

The economics of just screaming "PAY HIM MORE" make no sense in this situation.

Temprees

Hogberry Snortcake

The lack of tourney's so far is the reason its structured the way it is.  He gets job security, we get to avoid paying the big bucks unless he wins.  Next time around, with some tourney wins, his guaranteed will go up.  This is not an issue. 

Mike knows he has to produce, and he is confident he will.  He expects to get those bonuses. 

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: 1highhog on February 26, 2015, 09:14:57 am
I agree with this.  Mike if he reaches his potential each year stands to make $2.2 mil a year, that's been very good money over the last 3 seasons, now in his 4th season it was IMO a make or break it year, and CMA has finally got the players he needs in place to make some noise and they should at least win 1 game in the NCAA Tourney if not 2, as Nolan alluded to when they interviewed him during the Aggies game Tuesday.  The thing now is can Mike maintain this success, it may be that he loses Qualls and Portis this year along with the Seniors we have leaving, so he has some major holes to fill.  Can he build success off this one good year out of 4, while next year may turn out to be a rebuilding year and missing the NCAA Tourney?

His recruiting is picking up rather nicely. The practice facility opens this year. The program is about to step out on the national stage. Exciting brand of basketball. More recruits are taking notice.

APR fixed. Team GPA's higher than general student population. No players kicked off of team during MA's tenure. No players convicted of any felony/misdemeanors. No players even arrested. No players even accused of anything untoward in MA's 4 seasons. He is getting guys with character, guys who win. He doesn't Cheat. Our program is clean.

Much better prognosis for Razorback basketball than when MA was hired. Time to reward the man.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

3of5-2

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 09:16:42 am
How bout those who whine about the basketball program not being good start putting their expectations in line with the school's level of commitment to the program.

We are easily bottom half of the league in commitment. So put YOUR money where your mouth is and just be happy that we have a team.
Since I doubt you have ever had to earn YOUR own money, quit acting like money can buy you championships. This is not the U.S. government where you think things will get better if you keep throwing money at it. Money is earned, and MA has been compensated accordingly so far.

WhiteHairedDevil

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 26, 2015, 09:26:29 am
His recruiting is picking up rather nicely. The practice facility opens this year. The program is about to step out on the national stage. Exciting brand of basketball. More recruits are taking notice.

APR fixed. Team GPA's higher than general student population. No players kicked off of team during MA's tenure. No players convicted of any felony/misdemeanors. No players even arrested. No players even accused of anything untoward in MA's 4 seasons. He is getting guys with character, guys who win. He doesn't Cheat. Our program is clean.

Much better prognosis for Razorback basketball than when MA was hired. Time to reward the man.

Sing it Jimmy! lol

Hoggish1

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 26, 2015, 08:22:02 am
Why was a KU board discussing SEC coaching salaries? Just curious the context.

Probably because they are worried if he goes 40-0 and wins it all, he will try his hand, again, at something he hasn't done well at; win in the NBA.

Swinesong1

Some of the "against raise" arguments are hilariously stupid.  Coach B deserves and has earned his though.

Breems

Quote from: WhiteHairedDevil on February 26, 2015, 09:02:05 am
I'm sorry but have we gone to a Bowl game two years in a row?
Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 26, 2015, 09:06:56 am
No. But we beat our hated rival Texas to finish with a winning record.

So we should've opened the checkbook last year for Mike after beating UK twice.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

WarPig88

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 26, 2015, 09:26:46 am
Since I doubt you have ever had to earn YOUR own money, quit acting like money can buy you championships. This is not the U.S. government where you think things will get better if you keep throwing money at it. Money is earned, and MA has been compensated accordingly so far.

I have worked for 3 decades. I have started a business that grossed over 10k a month from less than $500 invested. I know how money is earned.

I also know that when it comes to sales, in order to sell someone on the idea that they should buy what you are offering you have to show them that you are worth what they are about to spend.

I guess you aren't familiar with "you get what you pay for"?

You think other schools aren't using this against us in recruiting? It would be easy to say to a recruit "Our school is committed to winning, just look at what we pay our coach compared to the other schools in our league." Show them this list, and whammo! You just promoted your school and negatively recruited against Arkansas without even having to say anything bad.

No practice facility + bottom half of the league pay = big time results? In what economy does that work?

3of5-2

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 09:48:49 am
I have worked for 3 decades. I have started a business that grossed over 10k a month from less than $500 invested. I know how money is earned.

I also know that when it comes to sales, in order to sell someone on the idea that they should buy what you are offering you have to show them that you are worth what they are about to spend.

You think other schools aren't using this against us in recruiting? It would be easy to say to a recruit "Our school is committed to winning, just look at what we pay our coach compared to the other schools in our league." Show them this list, and whammo! You just promoted your school and negatively recruited against Arkansas without even having to say anything bad.

No practice facility + bottom half of the league pay = big time results? In what economy does that work?
He's getting the practice facility. And since you have all of this extra money that you EARNED, write the freaking check!

ricepig

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 26, 2015, 09:55:49 am
He's getting the practice facility. And since you have all of this extra money that you EARNED, write the freaking check!

That should shut him up.........but, unfortunately, it won't.

WarPig88

I think you might be the one with the screwed up concept of money. You sure are a spare no expense guy with other people's. LOL! ;D

I don't think it is too much to ask at all that we pay our basketball coach upper third of the league money with the job that is currently being done.

It's called investment. Bonuses are for performance. I think you have the two confused here.

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 09:48:49 am

I seriously doubt any coach is sitting in a kids living room saying how much more money he makes the MA...  If so that is bad play on his part.  Wow you make so much more than him yet his team keeps beating you, why do you get paid so much? 
Absurd argument.  The whole thing is a strawman, there is no problem with MA's salary, he signed the contract, and for all we know is very happy with his 2.2 mil per year.  If he wants more it is up to his agent to get it for him.
He loves coaching at AR and I have not doubt as long as we keep winning that JL will keep him happy.

HotlantaHog

You make sure his salary is competitive, his incentives are high and that he has everything he needs to succeed ... practice facility, whatever recruiting resources he needs, staff, etc ...

My sense is Arkansas has done and will do just that.

WarPig88

Quote from: Reservoir Hogs on February 26, 2015, 09:58:50 am
I seriously doubt any coach is sitting in a kids living room saying how much more money he makes the MA...  If so that is bad play on his part.  Wow you make so much more than him yet his team keeps beating you, why do you get paid so much? 
Absurd argument.  The whole thing is a strawman, there is no problem with MA's salary, he signed the contract, and for all we know is very happy with his 2.2 mil per year.  If he wants more it is up to his agent to get it for him.
He loves coaching at AR and I have not doubt as long as we keep winning that JL will keep him happy.

You are naive if you think things like this aren't use in recruiting. It shows a programs level of commitment.

My school is committed to me for the future is what it says. You think that isn't important to the kids who aren't one and dones then you aren't thinking straight.

Like I also said, it communicates to any potential pool of candidates should MA not work out your level of commitment as well.

It needs to get fixed. Like I said, I am not calling for Donovan type money, just get out the bottom half of the football league kind of money.

That's not unreasonable at all.

ricepig

He makes $2,029,088.00, some may need to read the contract. He gets additional money for meeting APR levels. Just click on the contract link in the article.

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2015/01/06/mike-anderson-gets-contract-extension-as-razorback-basketball-coach/

3of5-2

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 09:58:39 am
I think you might be the one with the screwed up concept of money. You sure are a spare no expense guy with other people's. LOL! ;D

I don't think it is too much to ask at all that we pay our basketball coach upper third of the league money with the job that is currently being done.

It's called investment. Bonuses are for performance. I think you have the two confused here.
You are the one that wants to pay the man, so shut up and write the check. This will be the first year he has made the NCAAT at Arkansas as the head coach. Depending on Portis and Qualls decision, there is no guarantee that we will make it next year. Surely we have learned our lesson on paying these coaches big increases then to only have them get worse the following years.

Quote from: WhiteHairedDevil on February 26, 2015, 09:11:16 am
Match Texas?  Wow! I didn't know our Fund Rising was going so well. Lol.  But I like your way of thinking.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/
You don't think we can match Texas for a basketball coach?  Do you think they are going to give him $10 million a year?

WarPig88

Quote from: ricepig on February 26, 2015, 10:05:00 am
He makes $2,000,029,088.00, some may need to read the contract. He gets additional money for meeting APR levels. Just click on the contract link in the article.

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2015/01/06/mike-anderson-gets-contract-extension-as-razorback-basketball-coach/

He gets 1.5 guaranteed. He can make as much as 2.2. That is what the article states if you click on the link and add up the numbers they provide, you will see that they line up with the 2.2.

But only 1.5 of that is guaranteed which puts our program in the bottom half of the league.

Some of you are simply caught up in who the coach is and whether he is worthy of that salary. That is not my concern at all. MA or not, we are communicating that as a program we are not any more committed to basketball than is Ole Miss, South Carolina, Auburn, and Alabama among others.

It needs to change if we are going to move forward going into the future regardless of who the coach is.

GuvHog

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 08:55:14 am
LOL!

They work the same hours dude. There are more games with LESS time to prepare. Injuries are a much bigger deal in basketball due to roster sizes. The football coach is not managing 100 kids because they don't give a rip about the walkons. If you played any sport in college you would know this.
I am not saying either is easy, that would be you. But an argument can be made in either direction as to which is the more difficult which pretty much makes your assertion not nearly the slam dunk you present it as.

Football coaches don't care about walkons??? Tell that to the family of the late Brandon Burlesworth. He was a walk on at Arkansas from Harrison who earned a scholarship, became a multi-year all SEC player and was drafted in the early rounds of the NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts.

As for Mike getting a pay raise. I have no problem with that as long as it's done after the Hogs season is over. A pay raise now would be way premature. I don't agree with a massive raise though.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

WarPig88

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 26, 2015, 10:05:55 am
You are the one that wants to pay the man, so shut up and write the check. This will be the first year he has made the NCAAT at Arkansas as the head coach. Depending on Portis and Qualls decision, there is no guarantee that we will make it next year. Surely we have learned our lesson on paying these coaches big increases then to only have them get worse the following years.

You can't see the forrest for the trees. You are beyond myopic on the subject.

You act as if I am arguing for MA when I am arguing for the program itself.

FOR THE PROGRAM to actually show it is committed to winning in basketball, the athletic department needs to step this up beyond the level of Ole Miss, South Carolina, Auburn, and Bama commitment levels.

ricepig

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 10:10:15 am
He gets 1.5 guaranteed. He can make as much as 2.2. That is what the article states if you click on the link and add up the numbers they provide, you will see that they line up with the 2.2.

But only 1.5 of that is guaranteed which puts our program in the bottom half of the league.

Some of you are simply caught up in who the coach is and whether he is worthy of that salary. That is not my concern at all. MA or not, we are communicating that as a program we are not any more committed to basketball than is Ole Miss, South Carolina, Auburn, and Alabama among others.

It needs to change if we are going to move forward going into the future regardless of who the coach is.

Why don't you read the contract, it states he gets $2,029,088 divided by 12. It also states he is entitled to other compensation in Exhibit A and B. Try again, lol.

WarPig88

Quote from: GuvHog on February 26, 2015, 10:10:45 am
Football coaches don't care about walkons??? Tell that to the family of the late Brandon Burlesworth. He was a walk on at Arkansas from Harrison who earned a scholarship, became a multi-year all SEC player and was drafted in the early rounds of the NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts.

As for Mike getting a pay raise. I have no problem with that as long as it's done after the Hogs season is over. A pay raise now would be way premature. I don't agree with a massive raise though.

I can't figure out if you are really slow or if you are a troll.

You give an example of 1 out literally a thousand or more and act as if it is the norm for all walkons.

Walkons are treated as practice fodder. I've played sports at a few different colleges both as a scholarship player and a preferred walkon. Walkons of all kinds are second class citizens and coaches aren't held responsible for their actions either.

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 10:02:31 am
You are naive if you think things like this aren't use in recruiting. It shows a programs level of commitment.

My school is committed to me for the future is what it says. You think that isn't important to the kids who aren't one and dones then you aren't thinking straight.

Like I also said, it communicates to any potential pool of candidates should MA not work out your level of commitment as well.

It needs to get fixed. Like I said, I am not calling for Donovan type money, just get out the bottom half of the football league kind of money.

That's not unreasonable at all.

Dude, I'm not sure you get this... In recruiting these coaches are going into homes of working families, lots of them poor and black.  I absolutely guarantee you they are not flaunting their 3mil a year contract in front of the kids and their parents who are working 90 hrs a week to make ends meet. 

GuvHog

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 10:15:37 am
I can't figure out if you are really slow or if you are a troll.

You give an example of 1 out literally a thousand or more and act as if it is the norm for all walkons.

Walkons are treated as practice fodder. I've played sports at a few different colleges both as a scholarship player and a preferred walkon. Walkons of all kinds are second class citizens and coaches aren't held responsible for their actions either.

That's not true. Many walkons earn scholarships. To say coaches pay no attention to walkons is asinine.

WhiteHairedDevil

Get Frank Broyles to write the check. He's the reason we're having this discussion in the first place.  If it wasn't for his ego all this would be a moot point. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Reservoir Hogs on February 26, 2015, 10:20:10 am
Dude, I'm not sure you get this... In recruiting these coaches are going into homes of working families, lots of them poor and black.  I absolutely guarantee you they are not flaunting their 3mil a year contract in front of the kids and their parents who are working 90 hrs a week to make ends meet. 

Well said. Those players just want to make it to the NBA and they are willing to play for the coach they believe gives them the best chance of getting there. What a particular coach makes is irrelevant to them.

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

jkstock04

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 26, 2015, 08:36:11 am
One great season out of 4 doesn't warrant a pay raise. Programs and fans, love knee jerk reactions to roll out a bunch of money because they think they will be national contenders every year from now on. If MA can take this team deep in the NCAAT this year and next year, then there might be a legitimate push for that. I think MA would love to finish his career at the UofA, and if he continues to be as successful, I think he will be compensated for that. For now, he has been well paid for all 4 years that he has been here.
This. Knee jerk reaction is the best way to describe our fanbase. We revise history, and in the present can't see past the here and now.

I wonder if all fan bases are like this?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

TheRazorbackGuy

I thought CMA just got an extension. He got a new contract so this argument makes no sense

3of5-2

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 10:12:39 am
You can't see the forrest for the trees. You are beyond myopic on the subject.

You act as if I am arguing for MA when I am arguing for the program itself.

FOR THE PROGRAM to actually show it is committed to winning in basketball, the athletic department needs to step this up beyond the level of Ole Miss, South Carolina, Auburn, and Bama commitment levels.
Mike Anderson was hired to fix the PROGRAM, and he is 4 years into the process. He has progressed a long way, but still has a long way to go. He has been compensated for those 4 years and the next, after that, we will see how much he has earned and see if it needs to be increased.

GuvHog

Quote from: WhiteHairedDevil on February 26, 2015, 10:23:45 am
Get Frank Broyles to write the check. He's the reason we're having this discussion in the first place.  If it wasn't for his ego all this would be a moot point. 

Frank Broyles is no longer part of the U of A.

WhiteHairedDevil

Quote from: Karma on February 26, 2015, 10:10:06 am
You don't think we can match Texas for a basketball coach?  Do you think they are going to give him $10 million a year?

You did see that we was ranked #14 and who was ranked #1 didn't you?  Now what was your question.

ricepig

WarPig88

Quote from: ricepig on February 26, 2015, 10:13:27 am
Why don't you read the contract, it states he gets $2,029,088 divided by 12. It also states he is entitled to other compensation in Exhibit A and B. Try again, lol.

Thanks for the link. That doesn't line up with the article for sure and puts us about where we should be given how long ago MA was hired.

That makes me feel a lot better about the program when combined with the building of the practice facility.

That puts us in the range to attract good coaching talent as both Martin and Pearl were hired for the same kind of money.

I should have known Long had a better handle on this than the article showed.

My bad.

WarPig88

I have actually been through the recruiting process. I don't think you have any idea of what coaches will use to sway someone they want.

In basketball recruiting these days, appearances are everything. Kids are making "business decisions" now when committing. How many top talents are "investing" their time at non basketball schools do you think?

latrops

Quote from: ricepig on February 26, 2015, 10:13:27 am

I'm surprised there is so much confusion.  The article indicating that he is paid in the bottom half of the conference is simply wrong.  He clearly makes over 2 million a year.  He was offered 2 million a year to stay at Mizzou.  No way he leaves them for a pay cut.

Here are some of the specifics....

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2015/jan/07/ua-adds-two-years-for-coach-20150107/?sports

In addition to Mike Anderson's annual guaranteed financial compensation of $2,029,088 as Arkansas' men's basketball coach, his contract — extended through March 22, 2020 — includes bonuses for SEC and NCAA tournament achievements on the court as well as academic achievements with regards to the team's Academic Progress Rate score and graduation rate.

BASKETBALL

SEC INCENTIVES

Regular-season title $100,000

Tournament title $50,000

Maximum $150,000

NCAA TOURNAMENT INCENTIVES

First round $25,000

Sweet 16 $50,000

Elite Eight $100,000

Final Four $200,000

National championship $400,000

Maximum $400,000

ACADEMICS

TEAM APR INCENTIVES

930 or better $25,000

950 or better $25,000

970 or better $25,000

990 or better $25,000

Maximum $100,000

GRADUATION RATE INCENTIVES

60 percent $25,000

65 percent $25,000

70 percent $25,000

$75 percent $25,000

Maximum $100,000

COACHING AWARD INCENTIVES

SEC Coach of the Year $25,000

National Coach of the Year $25,000

Maximum $50,000

All that said, he doesn't really deserve a raise just yet.  Hopefully in a couple of years we will be thrilled to bump him up another half million or more per year...that would mean some very good things have taken place.

3of5-2

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 10:30:30 am
Thanks for the link. That doesn't line up with the article for sure and puts us about where we should be given how long ago MA was hired.

That makes me feel a lot better about the program when combined with the building of the practice facility.

That puts us in the range to attract good coaching talent as both Martin and Pearl were hired for the same kind of money.

I should have known Long had a better handle on this than the article showed.

My bad.
Well Loddy Freakin Da

WhiteHairedDevil

How do you know that most of the recruits are poor and Black.  Just goes to show that Television is not good for everyone.

WarPig88

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 26, 2015, 10:35:36 am
Well Loddy Freakin Da

You weren't even making this point. You should be mad.

You were whining because people thought that 1. 5 mil wasn't enough for our head coaching position and that a raise from that amount was frivolous.

Now that it has been proven his base is 2 mil you act like You were cool with that other half mil all along.

LOL!

All I was ever saying was that 1.5 mil wasn't enough. You thought it was! Now it's 2 mil, which is good with me and now it's fine for you too!

LOL!

Keep moving that target pal. :P

hogsanity

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 26, 2015, 08:59:49 am
CBB agreed to his original figure as well. And now that you have brought this point up, I'm starting to believe that every coach in history has agreed to the figure in their original contract. Let me think on that for a few more minutes.  ???

My point is for those acting like MA signed some horrible deal where he ONLY makes 2mil are kind of freaking out over nothing. No one forced MA to take the deal, and it is not like he is grossly underpaid. If the school chooses to give him a raise, fine.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfan10

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 08:40:12 am
12 games and recruiting versus 40 games and recruiting. Yep, football sounds much more demanding. Sarcasm off.

Football makes a lot more money without a doubt and that alone justifies a football coach being paid more, but the notion that a football team with a ton of assistants and staff is much harder to manage than a basketball program is ludicrous.

Also, it's not like basketball is not a revenue sport because it is. It's just not as big as football.

Responsible for 85 players vs. 12/13 players.
Recruits 25 players/year vs. 3-5 players/year.
Season is about the same, in length of time (months).

3of5-2

Dude, everyone but you knew he was getting paid accordingly. Next time you want to start something, you might want to learn a little more about the situation. Oh I forgot, you were too busy making 10K a month to get all the info. I know an IRS agent that would love to look your books. I promise you she would be thorough before coming to a conclusion.

WhiteHairedDevil

EVERYONE TAKE A DEEP BREATH. It's not that serious.  By the way where is FCJ?

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 08:33:52 am
So let's get this straight. Middle of the pack money in a football conference but complain and moan that we aren't getting Top Ten in the country results.

Makes sense.

Insanely throwing money at a problem never yields results.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

intelligence

Calipari brings home the same amount as Mike after "business expenses"  ;)

mhuff

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 08:51:13 am
So you are cool with claiming to be a serious basketball school while paying bottom half of the league money?

Good luck with that next hire is all I can say to that.

People complained about hiring Heath, after the fact mostly. But the results we got under Heath and Pelphrey are about equal to the investment we made in the program by hiring them.

I don't really mind if we don't want to pay the basketball coach big money, but it's time to quit having high expectations of the program if that's the case because you really don't care.

My question is....... Was MA paid bottom half money when he was offered the contract originally?

The_Iceman

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on February 26, 2015, 10:54:54 am
Insanely throwing money at a problem never yields results.

See the Federal Government*