Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to open the Check book for Mike......

Started by WhiteHairedDevil, February 26, 2015, 08:13:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

raz1965

Reading this thread I find it funny people discussing job difficulty in relationship to pay between football and basketball, there a lot of jobs in the world that are far more difficult that pay crumbs to what either coach makes. There pay is based on market value and fan demand, not how difficult the job is. I think Mike should be paid fair market value and that should be near the top of league pay if his progress continues. I personally think that all the power conference's major sport coaches are overpaid. Wish there was a legal way to cap coach salary across the board, doubt the NCAA is that powerful.

GuvHog

Quote from: raz1965 on February 26, 2015, 11:04:58 am
Reading this thread I find it funny people discussing job difficulty in relationship to pay between football and basketball, there a lot of jobs in the world that are far more difficult that pay crumbs to what either coach makes. There pay is based on market value and fan demand, not how difficult the job is. I think Mike should be paid fair market value and that should be near the top of league pay if his progress continues. I personally think that all the power conference's major sport coaches are overpaid. Wish there was a legal way to cap coach salary across the board, doubt the NCAA is that powerful.

I don't see the NCAA doing that. A move like that might result in a multitude of lawsuits from member Universities.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: hawg1221 on February 26, 2015, 08:50:31 am
I'm glad you're not the CEO of my company.

Actually retired as Regional President of a large financial company, so I Have had a little experience on hires.

It is a misconception that you pay your talent strictly on results. You pay them on how hard they are to replace and the likelihood of them leaving for the competition. I turned down larger compensation packages every year because I was comfortable with where I was and believed in the mission statement of my company. You aren't talikng leaving a job because you get bumped from 75K to 100K. All of these guys are beyond comfortable financially.

MA is making 2 million plus incentives. This is his destination job. Structure his compensation package where he gets small incremental raises each year, keep his incentives in tact, take care of his assistants, and keep the facilities top notch and you don't have to worry about him leaving. 
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: WhiteHairedDevil on February 26, 2015, 10:37:01 am
How do you know that most of the recruits are poor and Black.  Just goes to show that Television is not good for everyone.

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

RazorPiggie

ricepig

code red

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on February 26, 2015, 08:31:18 am
I love MA but there is no reason to get stupid with his salary. This is his destination job, he's not going anywhere.

The university will have to keep it somewhat in line with CBBs, though. Football coach should make more, because they bring in more revenue. I think 2-2.2 million a year is very much in line.
Totally agree....take us to a couple final fours then yeah...He is not going to get that anywhere else.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

latrops

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on February 26, 2015, 11:09:43 am
Actually retired as Regional President of a large financial company, so I Have had a little experience on hires.

It is a misconception that you pay your talent strictly on results. You pay them on how hard they are to replace and the likelihood of them leaving for the competition. I turned down larger compensation packages every year because I was comfortable with where I was and believed in the mission statement of my company. You aren't talikng leaving a job because you get bumped from 75K to 100K. All of these guys are beyond comfortable financially.

MA is making 2 million plus incentives. This is his destination job. Structure his compensation package where he gets small incremental raises each year, keep his incentives in tact, take care of his assistants, and keep the facilities top notch and you don't have to worry about him leaving. 

I don't think we have to worry about him leaving regardless as long as we are fair with him.  We've been more than fair.  We offered him a considerable raise over what he was making at Mizzou and as far as I know, no other university has made a real effort to steal him away from Arkansas.  If he continues to succeed, he will likely receive a raise in the next two or three years...maybe sooner if we get to the Sweet 16 or beyond this March.

jbcarol

Bo Mattingly @sportstalkwbo · Feb 12

Arkansas athletic director @jefflongua: When Mike Anderson has more success, which he will, you'll likely see a raise. The markets for football & basketball are different.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 08:55:14 am
LOL!

They work the same hours dude. There are more games with LESS time to prepare. Injuries are a much bigger deal in basketball due to roster sizes. The football coach is not managing 100 kids because they don't give a rip about the walkons. If you played any sport in college you would know this.

I am not saying either is easy, that would be you. But an argument can be made in either direction as to which is the more difficult which pretty much makes your assertion not nearly the slam dunk you present it as.

So if coaches working the same hours and difficulty matters so much then I guess you think that the mens track, lady's track, gymnastics, lady's basketball, softball, baseball, soccer, swimming and tennis coaches should all get the same salary.......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

secfan30

Quote from: WhiteHairedDevil on February 26, 2015, 09:11:16 am
Match Texas?  Wow! I didn't know our Fund Rising was going so well. Lol.  But I like your way of thinking.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

Judging by that list, true we aren't Texass, but then again who is? However we are not that far down the list from them either.

1highhog

Quote from: Kevin on February 26, 2015, 11:15:50 am
Should be in top 4 of the league. 

Only if he keeps the Hogs where they're at like their at this year.  Will you whine and want him fired like some do on here as soon as the bubble burst?  Think about it now, think about next year and how it could potentially turn out.  If Portis leaves, big % he does, Qualls leaves, I think better than 50/50 that he tests the market on leaving, we lose some very good depth with our Seniors graduating, all of a sudden next year may not be so rosy.  CMA is getting paid enough right now, no need to give him a raise just because of this year alone.  Mike if you remember him hawed around before he took this job even though many keep saying it was his destination job he made really sure he was compensated really well for it, I remember many ESPN and other talking heads thinking we overpaid for his services.

jgphillips3

We need to bump him up to about $2.2 million based on results so far.  Maybe higher if he makes a run beyond the sweet 16.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Mike should be in the 2 mil guaranteed club.  Program has improved every year.  I'm confident JL will bump him.  What's more surprising is what some of these guys are getting who have accomplished jack squat.  Martin $2.1?  They over paid to get him from KSU and the only reason his team makes a highlight reel is due to one of his tirades.  Pearl at $2.7 may be worth it in the long run but probably could have gotten him for 2.  The guy was out of work.  Tyndall at $1.6.  The guy was at Southern Miss and one step ahead of the posse.  Seems like they could have gotten him for a good 500k less.  Kennedy will bolt at A&M unless he gets a bump this year.  They did it right though. They gave the mid major guy a healthy raise from what he was making probably double to 4x's and make him earn the big bumps.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The_Iceman

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 26, 2015, 01:13:43 pm
We need to bump him up to about $2.2 million based on results so far.  Maybe higher if he makes a run beyond the sweet 16.

Isn't that exactly what he is making? I'm confused.

Danny J

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 26, 2015, 01:36:35 pm
I believe he is only guaranteed 1.5....with incentives 2.2

ricepig

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 26, 2015, 01:36:35 pm

Yes, but some fail to read, or worse yet, comprehend that. Once again, Mike make $2,029,088/year, guaranteed.

ricepig

Quote from: Danny J on February 26, 2015, 01:48:20 pm
I believe he is only guaranteed 1.5....with incentives 2.2

Did you read the posts with his contract in it? It clearly states he is paid over $2m before incentives.

3of5-2

And he will get to collect some of those incentive bonuses this year.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 08:51:13 am
So you are cool with claiming to be a serious basketball school while paying bottom half of the league money?

Good luck with that next hire is all I can say to that.

People complained about hiring Heath, after the fact mostly. But the results we got under Heath and Pelphrey are about equal to the investment we made in the program by hiring them.

I don't really mind if we don't want to pay the basketball coach big money, but it's time to quit having high expectations of the program if that's the case because you really don't care.

The next hire will be T.J. Cleveland or Corliss.

PRJ

rude1

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 26, 2015, 08:36:11 am
One great season out of 4 doesn't warrant a pay raise. Programs and fans, love knee jerk reactions to roll out a bunch of money because they think they will be national contenders every year from now on. If MA can take this team deep in the NCAAT this year and next year, then there might be a legitimate push for that. I think MA would love to finish his career at the UofA, and if he continues to be as successful, I think he will be compensated for that. For now, he has been well paid for all 4 years that he has been here.
Curious, what did you think of the new deal CBB got for a 7-6 season?

GuvHog

Quote from: rude1 on February 26, 2015, 03:14:56 pm

The U of A was, is, and will always be a football first school so the football coach will always get a more lucrative deal. After all, Football is the big money maker in the Athletic Department.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rude1

Quote from: GuvHog on February 26, 2015, 03:31:34 pm
The U of A was, is, and will always be a football first school so the football coach will always get a more lucrative deal. After all, Football is the big money maker in the Athletic Department.
The football team has won 2 conference games over the last 2 years. If we are talking merit and not what sport makes the revenue, does that sound like a coach that needs to be given a raise.

WarPig88

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 26, 2015, 10:48:34 am
Dude, everyone but you knew he was getting paid accordingly. Next time you want to start something, you might want to learn a little more about the situation. Oh I forgot, you were too busy making 10K a month to get all the info. I know an IRS agent that would love to look your books. I promise you she would be thorough before coming to a conclusion.

No you didn't. You thought he was making 1.5 mil and were pissed at the idea of bumping him up. The contract showed he actually makes 2 mil and now you are all cool with it.                      LOL!

Like I said, keep moving the target. SMH

cableguy

Like a poster said earlier Jeff Long will give MA what he deserves and that is a pay raise.  How much depends on well we do in the NCAA tournament. If anyone thinks that our football coach deserved a pay raise and MA doesn't is the very definition of a hater.   

Pigsear

Quote from: WhiteHairedDevil on February 26, 2015, 10:23:45 am
Get Frank Broyles to write the check. He's the reason we're having this discussion in the first place.  If it wasn't for his ego all this would be a moot point.
And Nolans big ego!

mhuff

Quote from: cableguy on February 26, 2015, 04:35:32 pm
Like a poster said earlier Jeff Long will give MA what he deserves and that is a pay raise.  How much depends on well we do in the NCAA tournament. If anyone thinks that our football coach deserved a pay raise and MA doesn't is the very definition of a hater.   

Don't get upset FCJ. I imagine after the tournament is over he will get a raise.

WhiteHairedDevil

There was only one previous Football coach that deserved a raise.

Pigsear

Quote from: WhiteHairedDevil on February 26, 2015, 04:51:23 pm

He got exactly what he deserved!!

1highhog

Quote from: mhuff on February 26, 2015, 04:47:48 pm
Don't get upset FCJ. I imagine after the tournament is over he will get a raise.

I might be the only one, but if we go into the NCAA Tourney and go one and done I don't see the reason for CMA to get a raise this year.  As I stated earlier, it took a bunch of money to get Mike here to what many on here call his destination job, sure, we've gotten better bit by bit every year, but this in year 4 will be our 1st run at the NCAAT.  We need to do better than a one and done for Mike to get a raise this year.  Now, if Portis opts for the NBA as he probably will, and CMA takes next years team to the NCAAT, I say Mike deserves a raise and fast.

cableguy

Quote from: mhuff on February 26, 2015, 04:47:48 pm
Lol calling me FCJ, but people need to be call out for what they are. Arkansas is all over national news and has the most wins in almost 20 years and we got some people saying he doesn't deserve a raise that's ludicrous.

HognitiveDissonance

Can we just hold this thread until the season is over?

This is all premature. The most important part of the season is still yet to come and yet we're talking about pay, etc. What if we somehow made the Final 4? Think that might factor into what pay raise he might get? Or what if we flame out? Same thing in reverse. Need all results to come in before making these decisions.

k.c.hawg

CMA is making $2.1 million this year with the APR and NCAA bonus..... if we go past the first round it will be more. He is guaranteed $1 million a year for every year left on his contract if fired. He must pay $1 million a year for every year left on the deal if he leaves. It would take a helluva deal to pay him considerably more, pay the buyout and offer him the long term security he has right now. Let him go another couple of seasons on this deal and earn another raise, earn another extension. I'm sure he wouldn't have signed this deal several months back if he wasn't happy with it.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: rude1 on February 26, 2015, 04:03:30 pm
The football team has won 2 conference games over the last 2 years. If we are talking merit and not what sport makes the revenue, does that sound like a coach that needs to be given a raise.

You can argue strongly that the only 3 coaches in America in any sport that are outperforming their contracts are Meyer, Saban, and Calapari. They also happen to be the highest paid. A lot of fans will argue that anyone can go to those schools and do what they are doing. The problem is, nobody has.

You want to break the bank at whatever company you are with? Do something that makes yourself hard to replace.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: WhiteHairedDevil on February 26, 2015, 04:51:23 pm

And if that dumbass would have  a) have kept his pants zipped or b) told Long he dipped his pen in the company ink before it became public, he would have been making close to Saban money now.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

RAD

After reading some of the posts in this thread, it seems to me like we should've paid Pelphrey $10M/year (ya know, to show how committed we are to the basketball program even if we had a recent history of being a perennial bubble team) and fired him the next year. That way, Coach K, Cal, Donovan, Self, etc wouldve been fighting over each other to get the job here. Makes perfect sense  ???

ricepig

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 26, 2015, 06:07:12 pm
CMA is making $2.1 million this year with the APR and NCAA bonus..... if we go past the first round it will be more. He is guaranteed $1 million a year for every year left on his contract if fired. He must pay $1 million a year for every year left on the deal if he leaves. It would take a helluva deal to pay him considerably more, pay the buyout and offer him the long term security he has right now. Let him go another couple of seasons on this deal and earn another raise, earn another extension. I'm sure he wouldn't have signed this deal several months back if he wasn't happy with it.

He makes $2m+ without the incentives, his base is $2m.

WarPig88

Quote from: RAD on February 26, 2015, 06:25:53 pm
After reading some of the posts in this thread, it seems to me like we should've paid Pelphrey $10M/year (ya know, to show how committed we are to the basketball program even if we had a recent history of being a perennial bubble team) and fired him the next year. That way, Coach K, Cal, Donovan, Self, etc wouldve been fighting over each other to get the job here. Makes perfect sense  ???

The hiring of Pelphrey was an indicator of how serious the program was taking basketball at the time regardless of price.

Everything you do communicates something.

How do you feel about school districts whose teacher salaries are at the bottom of their state? Is that the system you want to put your kid in?

You're right though, it probably means nothing.

Dwight_K_Shrute

People need to realize these salaries are set by market pressures as much as anything.  Take oil/gas prices.  What we pay at the pump today is often the result not of the price of the oil used to make that gas but the future price of oil.  Now sometimes that future price is determined by true scarcity but often times it's speculative or manipulated to inflate the price.  Much the same way agents float their client's names out there to get them raises to stay at their current school.  Luckily I don't think either of our coaches are like that so we are probably paying closer to actual value than many schools.

Quality coaches are a scarce commodity.  This is a generalization but often what we pay a coach today does not necessarily reflect his accomplishments today but what it would cost to replace him tomorrow with someone that could achieve the same results.  Mike has averaged 21.4 wins per year through 9 seasons as a P5 head coach.  He is on the verge of taking a third different team to the NCAA tournament. 

Now think about what it would take to hire a coach with those exact same or better credentials if MA left.  How many guys are out there with same or better resume that we could reasonably lure away from their current job for $2mil?  The last 2 times we hired a coach before MA we got Stan Heath and John Leslie Pelphrey.  I doubt we will ever being going down that road again.

The market price is set by the current salaries and what those coaches have accomplished.  Yes 2 mil should be enough for anyone but if the FMV for a coach of MA's accomplishments or caliber is $2.5 mil then that's what Jeff Long should bump him to.  You don't underpay a guy just because you think it's his destination job.  That's not being smart that's taking advantage of a situation.  Eventually that comes back to haunt you. 

Also quit comparing FB and BB. Two different situations, markets, environments, and economies of scale.  Just because FB Coach gets X doesn't mean BB coach deserves less just because it's basketball or deserves proportionately less because of the numbers of players staff etc.  It's what the market will command.  We don't have to judge MA's pay and accomplishments in light of BB's or vice versa it's just stupid and shows how ignorant some fans and posters are.   
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

3of5-2

Quote from: rude1 on February 26, 2015, 03:14:56 pm
It didn't take CBB 4 years to get to a bowl game and beat Texas.

3of5-2

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 04:26:24 pm
No you didn't. You thought he was making 1.5 mil and were pissed at the idea of bumping him up. The contract showed he actually makes 2 mil and now you are all cool with it.                      LOL!

Like I said, keep moving the target. SMH
Show me the target where I said he made 1.5 mil. Please, I begging you to show me.

WhiteHairedDevil

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on February 26, 2015, 06:13:33 pm
And if that dumbass would have  a) have kept his pants zipped or b) told Long he dipped his pen in the company ink before it became public, he would have been making close to Saban money now.

"Dipped his pen"  classic...Lol

WhiteHairedDevil

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 26, 2015, 06:43:39 pm
It didn't take CBB 4 years to get to a bowl game and beat Texas.

You do know that CBB finished under 500 in Conference don't you?