Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to open the Check book for Mike......

Started by WhiteHairedDevil, February 26, 2015, 08:13:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteHairedDevil

Hollywood_HOGan45

I would say one of the best seasons in 20 years deserves a bit of a pay raise.

The man knows what he's doing. I love Nolan but there's no way we were going to hire his sidekick because of how Nolan left the UA.

Better late than never though.

SPAL

Why was a KU board discussing SEC coaching salaries? Just curious the context.

WhiteHairedDevil

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 26, 2015, 08:22:02 am

Guess they trying to get Cal a raise.  Cheaters don't come cheap these days. Just ask John Hammonds.

The_Iceman

PorkRinds

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 26, 2015, 08:25:03 am
I thought Mike made over $2 million a year?

I was gonna say I don't think that figure is correct. I think he makes 2.2 million or something like that.

WarPig88

What I find particularly sad is that there is a group of individuals who post here who have complained that since we were paying "big money" for MA, he should be delivering more.

I see far less committed schools paying more for their coach than we do.

WarPig88

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 26, 2015, 08:26:52 am
I was gonna say I don't think that figure is correct. I think he makes 2.2 million or something like that.

If he made his bonuses, he would get 2.2

He is only guaranteed 1.5

HSVhogfan2

I love MA but there is no reason to get stupid with his salary. This is his destination job, he's not going anywhere.

The university will have to keep it somewhat in line with CBBs, though. Football coach should make more, because they bring in more revenue. I think 2-2.2 million a year is very much in line.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

WarPig88

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on February 26, 2015, 08:31:18 am
I love MA but there is no reason to get stupid with his salary. This is his destination job, he's not going anywhere.

The university will have to keep it somewhat in line with CBBs, though. Football coach should make more, because they bring in more revenue. I think 2-2.2 million a year is very much in line.

So let's get this straight. Middle of the pack money in a football conference but complain and moan that we aren't getting Top Ten in the country results.

Makes sense.

Razorfox

I can't believe how much basketball coaches make.  To me, there is simply no comparison to the amount of work and difficulty of leading a football team and a basketball team.  Yet, the top basketball coaches seem to be making about as much as the top football coaches. 

3of5-2

One great season out of 4 doesn't warrant a pay raise. Programs and fans, love knee jerk reactions to roll out a bunch of money because they think they will be national contenders every year from now on. If MA can take this team deep in the NCAAT this year and next year, then there might be a legitimate push for that. I think MA would love to finish his career at the UofA, and if he continues to be as successful, I think he will be compensated for that. For now, he has been well paid for all 4 years that he has been here.

WarPig88

Quote from: Razorfox on February 26, 2015, 08:35:56 am
I can't believe how much basketball coaches make.  To me, there is simply no comparison to the amount of work and difficulty of leading a football team and a basketball team.  Yet, the top basketball coaches seem to be making about as much as the top football coaches.

12 games and recruiting versus 40 games and recruiting. Yep, football sounds much more demanding. Sarcasm off.

Football makes a lot more money without a doubt and that alone justifies a football coach being paid more, but the notion that a football team with a ton of assistants and staff is much harder to manage than a basketball program is ludicrous.

Also, it's not like basketball is not a revenue sport because it is. It's just not as big as football.

WhiteHairedDevil

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 26, 2015, 08:36:11 am
One great season out of 4 doesn't warrant a pay raise. Programs and fans, love knee jerk reactions to roll out a bunch of money because they think they will be national contenders every year from now on. If MA can take this team deep in the NCAAT this year and next year, then there might be a legitimate push for that. I think MA would love to finish his career at the UofA, and if he continues to be as successful, I think he will be compensated for that. For now, he has been well paid for all 4 years that he has been here.

Would you rather have someone like the Texas Longhorn come in and offer more money than to pay Mike what he's worth. Don't think for one second that Texas doesn't have the money because they do and more likely will be looking for a new coach soon.

They would love nothing more than to stick it to the U of A. Kind of like we did to Missouri.

bigredone

Each season better than the one before. It is not like he was not building to this season.

WarPig88

No, what warrants the pay raise is the expectations we claim to have as a program. We pay our coach bottom half of the conference money but expect to compete with the likes of Kentucky and Fla.

Seriously, Donnie Tyndall, Mark Fox, Frank Martin, and Andy Kennedy make more money than our coach and I promise that none of them are under the same pressure to deliver as the head coach of the Razorbacks.

This goes along with the lack of a practice facility issue, one we are fixing I realize. I read on here that we should be a big time program by a lot of folks here, but for some reason we are supposed to have that type of program without also investing what it takes to get there.

Pretty hypocritical and very unreasonable. We can't seriously lay claim to being a school that is serious about it's basketball program while not having a practice facility AND having the coach's salary in the bottom half of the league.

Hawgndaaz

Judge his coaching on what he does after losing a potential lottery pick next year. If he maintains, or comes close to maintaining this level of play, I'm all about throwing the farm at him.

Razorfox

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 08:40:12 am
12 games and recruiting versus 40 games and recruiting. Yep, football sounds much more demanding. Sarcasm off.

Football makes a lot more money without a doubt and that alone justifies a football coach being paid more, but the notion that a football team with a ton of assistants and staff is much harder to manage than a basketball program is ludicrous.

Also, it's not like basketball is not a revenue sport because it is. It's just not as big as football.

Games are only a small part of the management of a team though.

- 100+ players vs 15ish
- Recruiting 25 players per year vs 2 or 3
- 3 assistants vs 9 (the coach still has to manage, hire, fire, etc. them)

And I would argue that even with game planning, the complexities of football are more than that of basketball.  It's just my opinion, so take that FWIW.

hawg1221

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on February 26, 2015, 08:31:18 am

I'm glad you're not the CEO of my company.

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on February 26, 2015, 08:46:53 am
Judge his coaching on what he does after losing a potential lottery pick next year. If he maintains, or comes close to maintaining this level of play, I'm all about throwing the farm at him.

So you are cool with claiming to be a serious basketball school while paying bottom half of the league money?

Good luck with that next hire is all I can say to that.

People complained about hiring Heath, after the fact mostly. But the results we got under Heath and Pelphrey are about equal to the investment we made in the program by hiring them.

I don't really mind if we don't want to pay the basketball coach big money, but it's time to quit having high expectations of the program if that's the case because you really don't care.

TomBigBeeHog

One great season out of 4 doesn't warrant a pay raise.

Just to be clear. You saying this is a great season?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

lrcentral

No way do you pay him anything outrageous. First time to make the tournament in his four years.

Put a clause in his contract that he gets a raise every year he makes the tournament. Also put in a clause that he will be the highest paid basketball coach in SEC by a dollar if he ever wins a NC.

Don't hand him anything. Make him earn it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 26, 2015, 08:22:02 am

It was done by the Dallas Morning News. I find that interesting. With the additions of TAMU and Mizzou the SEC is probably getting more press in tejas and that's a good thing.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

Do not forget, MA AGREED to the original figure. He thought it was fair compensation to come here from where he was.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WarPig88

Quote from: Razorfox on February 26, 2015, 08:49:13 am
Games are only a small part of the management of a team though.

- 100+ players vs 15ish
- Recruiting 25 players per year vs 2 or 3
- 3 assistants vs 9 (the coach still has to manage, hire, fire, etc. them)

And I would argue that even with game planning, the complexities of football are more than that of basketball.  It's just my opinion, so take that FWIW.

LOL!

They work the same hours dude. There are more games with LESS time to prepare. Injuries are a much bigger deal in basketball due to roster sizes. The football coach is not managing 100 kids because they don't give a rip about the walkons. If you played any sport in college you would know this.

I am not saying either is easy, that would be you. But an argument can be made in either direction as to which is the more difficult which pretty much makes your assertion not nearly the slam dunk you present it as.

SPAL

Quote from: WhiteHairedDevil on February 26, 2015, 08:23:43 am
Guess they trying to get Cal a raise.  Cheaters don't come cheap these days. Just ask John Hammonds.

I guess u meant UK. My apologies....it read as if U were saying a Kansas board.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: WarPig88 on February 26, 2015, 08:51:13 am
So you are cool with claiming to be a serious basketball school while paying bottom half of the league money?

Good luck with that next hire is all I can say to that.

People complained about hiring Heath, after the fact mostly. But the results we got under Heath and Pelphrey are about equal to the investment we made in the program by hiring them.

I don't really mind if we don't want to pay the basketball coach big money, but it's time to quit having high expectations of the program if that's the case because you really don't care.

I don't care what we claim to be, you cannot throw the farm at someone the first year they make the tournament. If they make a deep run, maybe so.

WarPig88

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 26, 2015, 08:53:14 am
It was done by the Dallas Morning News. I find that interesting. With the additions of TAMU and Mizzou the SEC is probably getting more press in tejas and that's a good thing.

At the time of his hiring, his salary was fine. No argument there at all.

I have full confidence that after this season we will see some sort of bump as well.

But what does it say about our program when we are the last to get a practice facility and our coach's pay is in the bottom half of a football league?

Are communicating that we are a committed school in terms of basketball? Doesn't really appear that way.

WhiteHairedDevil

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 26, 2015, 08:57:08 am
I guess u meant UK. My apologies....it read as if U were saying a Kansas board.

Correct. UK. my bad.

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on February 26, 2015, 08:58:14 am
I don't care what we claim to be, you cannot throw the farm at someone the first year they make the tournament. If they make a deep run, maybe so.

You don't have to "throw the farm" at him to get him in the upper half of the league in terms of salary.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 26, 2015, 08:54:36 am
Do not forget, MA AGREED to the original figure. He thought it was fair compensation to come here from where he was.

CBB agreed to his original figure as well. And now that you have brought this point up, I'm starting to believe that every coach in history has agreed to the figure in their original contract. Let me think on that for a few more minutes.  ???
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

JayBell

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on February 26, 2015, 08:46:53 amJudge his coaching on what he does after losing a potential lottery pick next year. If he maintains, or comes close to maintaining this level of play, I'm all about throwing the farm at him.

This.  Arkansas is having a great season, but how about actually qualifying for the NCAA Tournament two years in a row before "opening the Check book"(?) for the coach.

WarPig88

Quote from: JayBell on February 26, 2015, 08:59:57 am
This.  Arkansas is having a great season, but how about actually qualifying for the NCAA Tournament two years in a row before "opening the Check book"(?) for the coach.

How do you claim to be serious about your basketball program while not having a practice facility and paying your coach bottom half of the league money?

WhiteHairedDevil

Quote from: JayBell on February 26, 2015, 08:59:57 am

I'm sorry but have we gone to a Bowl game two years in a row?

ThundrHawg

I'm glad some of these armchair AD's aren't the ones making decisions on the hill. If you want to compete it costs money, that's the bottom line. Luckily Jeff Long knows this and will do what it takes to keep Mike happy.

Quote from: WhiteHairedDevil on February 26, 2015, 08:43:02 am
Would you rather have someone like the Texas Longhorn come in and offer more money than to pay Mike what he's worth. Don't think for one second that Texas doesn't have the money because they do and more likely will be looking for a new coach soon.

They would love nothing more than to stick it to the U of A. Kind of like we did to Missouri.
Then we match then.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: WhiteHairedDevil on February 26, 2015, 09:02:05 am
I'm sorry but have we gone to a Bowl game two years in a row?

No. But we beat our hated rival Texas to finish with a winning record.

WarPig88

I would like to make it clear that I am not saying pay him Donovan + type money.

But is it too much to ask to put our coach in the top half/quarter of the league?

Are we serious about basketball or not? Even if MA doesn't make the grade here, it communicates something to the next pool of potential head coaching candidates about the level of commitment to basketball here.

Why do you think we've had so much trouble attracting coaches since Heath was let go? We haven't been saying to the rest of the world that we are serious about being good.

TomBigBeeHog

Wait. NIT now NCAA = consecutive years in post season. Beat hated rival KY 3 games straight and ............

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: ThundrHawg on February 26, 2015, 09:04:04 am
I'm glad some of these armchair AD's aren't the ones making decisions on the hill. If you want to compete it costs money, that's the bottom line. Luckily Jeff Long knows this and will do what it takes to keep Mike happy.

WhiteHairedDevil

Quote from: Karma on February 26, 2015, 09:06:48 am
Then we match then.

Match Texas?  Wow! I didn't know our Fund Rising was going so well. Lol.  But I like your way of thinking.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

WarPig88

Quote from: Karma on February 26, 2015, 09:06:48 am
Then we match then.

You don't really get the opportunity to do that most of the time. That's pretend stuff when it comes to negotiations on this scale.

Coaches do use interest from other entities all the time as leverage, but when a deal is thrown in front of you, it is not wise to decline it based on a promise and a hand shake to match it.

3of5-2

Everyone that truly believes MA should be paid more, please pony up and send him a check. As far as Texas or any other school that may want to come get MA, until that happens, you don't do anything. And let's not start the rumor that there is a plane on the tar mack from Nebraska or Austin.

PorkRinds

Forgive me for a dumb question, but what is a "max potential"  bonus?

1highhog

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on February 26, 2015, 08:46:53 am

I agree with this.  Mike if he reaches his potential each year stands to make $2.2 mil a year, that's been very good money over the last 3 seasons, now in his 4th season it was IMO a make or break it year, and CMA has finally got the players he needs in place to make some noise and they should at least win 1 game in the NCAA Tourney if not 2, as Nolan alluded to when they interviewed him during the Aggies game Tuesday.  The thing now is can Mike maintain this success, it may be that he loses Qualls and Portis this year along with the Seniors we have leaving, so he has some major holes to fill.  Can he build success off this one good year out of 4, while next year may turn out to be a rebuilding year and missing the NCAA Tourney?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: WhiteHairedDevil on February 26, 2015, 09:11:16 am
Match Texas?  Wow! I didn't know our Fund Rising was going so well. Lol.  But I like your way of thinking.

We wouldn't have to match Texas to keep MA. Just stay in the ball park. He wants to be here. Isn't that a great feeling?

WarPig88

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 26, 2015, 09:13:08 am
Everyone that truly believes MA should be paid more, please pony up and send him a check. As far as Texas or any other school that may want to come get MA, until that happens, you don't do anything. And let's not start the rumor that there is a plane on the tar mack from Nebraska or Austin.

How bout those who whine about the basketball program not being good start putting their expectations in line with the school's level of commitment to the program.

We are easily bottom half of the league in commitment. So put YOUR money where your mouth is and just be happy that we have a team.

WarPig88

Quote from: 1highhog on February 26, 2015, 09:14:57 am
I agree with this.  Mike if he reaches his potential each year stands to make $2.2 mil a year, that's been very good money over the last 3 seasons, now in his 4th season it was IMO a make or break it year, and CMA has finally got the players he needs in place to make some noise and they should at least win 1 game in the NCAA Tourney if not 2, as Nolan alluded to when they interviewed him during the Aggies game Tuesday.  The thing now is can Mike maintain this success, it may be that he loses Qualls and Portis this year along with the Seniors we have leaving, so he has some major holes to fill.  Can he build success off this one good year out of 4, while next year may turn out to be a rebuilding year and missing the NCAA Tourney?

If his level of success matches his salary, we will be in the bottom half of the league.

This isn't hard.

WhiteHairedDevil

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 26, 2015, 09:13:08 am

I was just using Texas as an example. No need to get upset.

3of5-2

Not upset, but it sure must be fun to spend someone else's money.