Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do we match up with Kentucky?

Started by fourpeat, February 25, 2015, 06:09:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fourpeat

As I watch their game with MS tonight, I just wander how we match up with the Wildcats. Any input here?
Never explain yourself!  Your friends don't require it, and your enemies won't believe you anyway.

Tortfeasor

fourpeat

Portis vs Stein...even
Wait...before we start trying to match them up, with our style, it doesn't matter who is matched with whom. We never matched up with many opponents with Nolan's teams. It was the style of play that beat teams along with hustle and athleticism. That being said, I think our hustle and athleticism matches up with the Wildcats very well. They do have a ton of 5 star athletes, but I think we have a very good chance to upset them Saturday!
Never explain yourself!  Your friends don't require it, and your enemies won't believe you anyway.

40MINSOFHELL

ADavisTheGOAT

Kentucky starting lineup consists of these heights:

6'6
6'6
6'10
6'11
7'0
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Danny J

Nobody really matches up close to UK but that doesn't mean they are invincible. Look at Ole Miss. Look at aTm. Look at LSU. They had great guard play that day. If we have great guard play we will have a chance as long as Portis has his usual game. We do have athleticism. We are deep. That may cause them issues.

The biggest issue we are going to have is who do we put on who as far as the bigs are concerned. Do we put Portis on Stein? Not a chance that Harris or Williams can guard Towns one on one....not a chance. So are we going to double? I would assume so. Hard to zone a great rebounding team like UK.

Also....remember folks that UK has been running a full court press a lot this year. I would be willing to bet they do that as well. We are prone to turning it over when pressured.

yraciv

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on February 25, 2015, 06:39:52 pm
We are their kryptonite .

This is our only advantage. What do we have? Depth, Portis, size at the PG? UK has all of this and droves of talent.  I'm not going to say they are unbeatable, but they are very good and it's going to take a field day from 3 to knock them off.  And this isn't  a knock on us because no one matches up with them when they are on.

lefty08

Quote from: Hogfan991 on February 25, 2015, 07:16:24 pm

6'6
6'6
6'10
6'11
7'0

aTm has big guards, didn't seem to bother us much. Aaron Harrison is a deadly shooter, I'm not impressed with Andrew at all. Seems his game is drive and toss the ball at the rim. If we can body them on the drives and not let them elevate we can turn them over a lot
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Atlhogfan1

UK is similar to last season in that if they aren't playing hard on defense, they become very beatable.  I think the Hogs can play with them as, unlike much of the SEC, the Hogs can score and don't want to play a limited possession game. 

Both teams create turnovers at a similar pace. 

Hogs are 5th in college basketball in extra scoring chances per game and UK 7th. 

UK is #1 in college basketball in areas like opponent effective FG% and opponent FG%.  They are #2 in offensive rebounding % and 8th in total rebounding %. 

Will be interesting to see if Portis, Harris and Kingsley can stay out of foul trouble given the depth of size of UK.  Last season in Fay: Clarke 5 fouls, Portis and Harris 3 each.  In Rupp: Clarke 4, Harris 4, Portis 3. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

tophawg19

the dribble penetration and rebounding that hurt us in the second half of A&M game , will play a part in this one too.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

nextlevel

Kentucky wants to run, Cal doesn't want them too.

Arkansas can easily speed Kentucky up, they can also take advantage of Kentucky selling out for offensive rebounds/lobs at the rim (the majority of their offense) with long outlet passes leading to easy opportunities.

Kentucky will have to make the choice if they want to sell out for O Boards or if they want to try to prevent quick transition baskets.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Polecat

I'm sick of listening to Tony Delk praise the Wildcats. Who cares what a former Cat thinks about his alma mater
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Danny J

Would also like to point out that UK can not fly back to Lexington tonight due to weather. So hopefully it will be late tomorrow before they can. That would also be a slight advantage. Almost have a feel to the UK players as though it is a quick turnaround even though it isn't. Hey....I am reaching for anything here.

nextlevel

Quote from: Danny J on February 25, 2015, 08:13:12 pm
Would also like to point out that UK can not fly back to Lexington tonight due to weather. So hopefully it will be late tomorrow before they can. That would also be a slight advantage. Almost have a feel to the UK players as though it is a quick turnaround even though it isn't. Hey....I am reaching for anything here.

You really want to analyze something no one has mentioned;

All season long Cal has been doing mass subs the majority of the time, basically two units/teams/platoons whatever you want to call it, but don't call it roster management because it isn't.

So in the game Saturday if the team can wear down a player or two from each "platoon" or get a couple in foul trouble, Cal will be forced to actually manage his roster while his team will be forced to play with unfamiliar lineups on the court.

Kentucky's Guards will have to prove the can handle pressure and can be effective to make Arkansas let up on the pressure, otherwise Kentucky's size in the post will be largely a non factor.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Danny J on February 25, 2015, 08:13:12 pm

Louisville turned them over 18 times with Andrew Harrison having 6.  Hogs are capable of doing this and more if the game is at a higher pace. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

nextlevel

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 25, 2015, 08:30:09 pm
Louisville turned them over 18 times with Andrew Harrison having 6.  Hogs are capable of doing this and more if the game is at a higher pace. 

This will be the key, the majority of UK's schedule has focused on trying to shut down their post players, UK's weakness is their guards, exploit weaknesses and profit.

ell oh ell

Wooderson

If we play like the first half against A&M we can win no matter the matchups.  If we play like the second half we get beat by 30.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

RunHogruN

Another factor in the game is how the officials call the game.  Ticky tacky fouls will be a killer for us because it kills the rhythm of the game and slows it down.  If the refs (hoping) lets the boys play old school style then it will be a more interesting game.  It will allow us to have more chances at sticking our hands in the pot a little more to knock the ball loose.

All i'm hoping for is a clean game w/o any injuries and for our hogs to pull a Houdini and bring the magic back to Arkansas.
It's only a game...R E L A X     B)

Danny J

Quote from: nextlevel on February 25, 2015, 08:17:00 pm

All season long Cal has been doing mass subs the majority of the time, basically two units/teams/platoons whatever you want to call it, but don't call it roster management because it isn't.

So in the game Saturday if the team can wear down a player or two from each "platoon" or get a couple in foul trouble, Cal will be forced to actually manage his roster while his team will be forced to play with unfamiliar lineups on the court.

Kentucky's Guards will have to prove the can handle pressure and can be effective to make Arkansas let up on the pressure, otherwise Kentucky's size in the post will be largely a non factor.
This is very true but also remember that UK has been pressing a lot this year because of their depth so our guards will need to be able to handle their pressure as well.

GoHogs1091

6'6
6'6
6'10
6'11
7'0

It seems like I heard a T.V. Commentator say that there is only 1 NBA team bigger than Kentucky in the low post (I believe he said it is the Portland Trail Blazzers).

The key will be to limit Devin Booker, Karl-Anthony Towns, and Trey Lyles.  Cauley-Stein and the Harrisons are going to get their normal points.

nextlevel

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 25, 2015, 08:54:44 pm
It seems like I heard a T.V. Commentator say that there is only 1 NBA team bigger than Kentucky in the low post (I believe he said it is the Portland Trail Blazzers).

The key will be to limit Devin Booker, Karl-Anthony Towns, and Trey Lyles.  Cauley-Stein and the Harrisons are going to get their normal points.

WCS gets his 4 points, big deal...

ell oh ell

yraciv

Quote from: nextlevel on February 25, 2015, 08:17:00 pm

Kentucky scrapped the platoon when Poythress went down. Sure they still do some mass subs, but they've been mixing and matching a lot more lately and they are 9 deep, don't play other quality players like Willis & Hawkins.  Tonight they played Towns, WCS, & the Harrisons all over 25 minutes. They only turn the ball over 11 times a game, which is like 40th in the country, so needless to say they've seen it all on defense and do a pretty good job.  I'd imagine they are even better at home, like our press isn't as effective on the road. They also only average 17 fouls a game, so I can't imagine much foul trouble especially with the way we get calls on the road.  These are all trends that can change with a bad game, but like I said they are very good!

GoHogs1091

Quote from: nextlevel on February 25, 2015, 08:57:14 pm
WCS gets his 4 points, big deal...

He has been averaging close to 10 points per game, but then he has the occasional game in which he scores around 16 to 18 points.

One of the few bright spots for Mississippi State tonight is that they held him to just 4 points.

yraciv

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 25, 2015, 09:02:24 pm
He has been averaging close to 10 points per game, but then he has the occasional game in which he scores around 16 to 18 points.

One of the few bright spots for Mississippi State tonight is that they held him to just 4 points.

Sorry for your loss! Wouldn't have happened with Stansbury!

GoHogs1091

Quote from: yraciv on February 25, 2015, 09:06:53 pm
Sorry for your loss! Wouldn't have happened with Stansbury!

Well, Rick Ray was using 4 of Stansbury's recruits tonight (Sword, Ware, Thomas, and Johnson). Highly doubtful Stansbury would have gotten maximum effort out of those 4 tonight.

Ray is a much better in-game bench Coach than Stansbury.

choppedporkextrasauce

The Harrison twins do not like to be pressured.

wupigsuey

Uk is solid at the basket. The new BP edited is comfortable shooting from the outside. Screw kentucky.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Our backcourt matches up better with them than our frontcourt does. BP matches up with most everyone however, the missing link is Coty Clarke. IMHO.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

collins4heisman

6'6
6'6
6'10
6'11
7'0
tbeyre too big to handle the speed and agility of Arkansas style of play. Hogs will win

Danny J

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on February 25, 2015, 09:22:37 pm
The Harrison twins do not like to be pressured.
They don't but overall UK has much better ball handlers. Booker and Ulis are extremely good ball handlers. I imagine we are going to have to do a lot of doubling down low. Just hope they are not on fire from range or it will be over quickly.

rtr

I look for Anton Beard to introduce himself to the nation.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

RunHogruN

Quote from: Danny J on February 26, 2015, 01:01:55 am
They don't but overall UK has much better ball handlers. Booker and Ulis are extremely good ball handlers. I imagine we are going to have to do a lot of doubling down low. Just hope they are not on fire from range or it will be over quickly.

doubling down low will open up the kick back for 3s. They have good shooters outside.
It's only a game...R E L A X     B)

DLUXHOG

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on February 25, 2015, 06:39:52 pm
We are their kryptonite .

Bingo!  Too bad many on this board can't accept this....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: RunHogruN on February 26, 2015, 09:41:38 am
doubling down low will open up the kick back for 3s. They have good shooters outside.

I think we see backside help down low only, guards need to stay on their man, but down low double CS and Townes to keep them off the rim.
That will open up offensive boards which they live on though...
Really a tough match up down low for us (or anyone)

HawgTrough

Quote from: Reservoir Hogs on February 26, 2015, 10:05:13 am
I think we see backside help down low only, guards need to stay on their man, but down low double CS and Townes to keep them off the rim.
That will open up offensive boards which they live on though...
Really a tough match up down low for us (or anyone)

We have to double down when they get the ball inside the paint and crash the boards. The kickout 3 will be there all day for KY. Just gotta hope they are a bit off.

My longshot hope is that Kingsley gets an expanded role for this game. Hopefully he can be our rim enforcer and not foul out in 10 minutes.
WPS

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: HawgTrough on February 26, 2015, 10:49:15 am
We have to double down when they get the ball inside the paint and crash the boards. The kickout 3 will be there all day for KY. Just gotta hope they are a bit off.

My longshot hope is that Kingsley gets an expanded role for this game. Hopefully he can be our rim enforcer and not foul out in 10 minutes.

You made the point I was going to, which somehow had not been made yet. Kingsley could very well see the most minutes of his season Saturday. We will need his size on defense to prevent all those easy put backs the cats get on offense. Likewise, we'll need huge minutes out of Williams, since his size and athleticism will also be needed.

I think there are really three keys to a Hog victory.

1. Control the defensive boards, limit the easy second chance points for UK.
2. Force their guards to play fast and create turnovers. They are still a very young team, especially in the backcourt. The Harrison's are prone to sloppy play and our length on the press will give the smaller Ulis problems.
3. Defend the 3. Booker and Ulis are the true shooters, make the Harrison's beat you from deep.