Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New simulation toy . . . Hogs 1994 Championship team vs. Kentucky from last year (2014)

Started by WizardofhOgZ, February 25, 2015, 03:57:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

I've used this for football before, but not basketball.  You can use this link to match teams from the past 20 years - plus, they have some "classic" older years as well.

One of the articles at the main site was about comparing the 2014 Kentucky teams to other NCAA runner ups over the last 20 years (http://whatifsports.com/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?article=2014CBK_NationalChampionshipRunnerUpPowerRankings).  That simulation showed that they would win 62% of the games vs. our 1995 runner ups. 

So I decided to see what our Championship team would have done against that UK team.  I played the game 10 times (note - you have to choose "home" and "away" teams, but as a final option before you simulate the game, you can opt for a "neutral" court, which is what I always do).  The results were that we won 9 out of 10 games vs. 2014 Kentucky.

Here is a link to the "toy": http://whatifsports.com/ncaab/

Have fun!

psychejelly

Fun site, but that 62% is actually in our favor! Do some simulations. I ran 10 neutral court sims, and Hogs won 8.

MountieDawg

SEC!

WorfHog

Dwight_K_Shrute

Considering Last Year's Razorback team won at home and away against KY I think the simulator is FOS.  KY would crap their pants up against that 95 Razorback team.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 25, 2015, 07:08:28 pm
Considering Last Year's Razorback team won at home and away against KY I think the simulator is FOS.  KY would crap their pants up against that 95 Razorback team.

I saw Cory Beck at the game Tuesday, he has put on some weight. Not sure he could guard anyone?
SEC!

WizardofhOgZ

Just for grins, I simulated the 1978 Final Four team (Triplets) vs. out 1994 National Champions, and the 94 team won 8 of 10.

But it exposed a massive flaw in the simulation software . . . in almost every game, when I looked at the box score, it showed the 1978 team going 0 for 0.  That must be because there is no 3 point statistics for that team, since the rule had not been made yet.  However, in a few of the games, the 78 team DID shoot 2 or 3 three point shots . . . but by guys who NEVER would have done so, like Steve Schall.  Marvin Delph, who would have been a phenomenal 3 point shooter, never was credited with taking a single 3 pointer in the games I simulated.  He'd go 9 for 13 from the field, but none were 3 pointers.

Still, a fun toy to play with.

Thepigdoctor

Very cool. I like how you can play with the minutes each player is targeted to get.

Running that and increasing minutes for star players really makes a huge difference in outcomes.

jrulz83

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.