Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

After being there in person, one last crowd thread from me....

Started by Bogghawg, February 25, 2015, 10:47:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogghawg

Quote from: Bogghawg on February 25, 2015, 01:40:03 pm
Exactly how would one refer this thread to Jeff Long?  I would like that to happen, for whatever it might be worth.
Was literally looking for a response, here...
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

snoblind

Quote from: Bogghawg on February 25, 2015, 02:10:09 pm
Was literally looking for a response, here...

So email him with a link to this thread.  I'm sure you can find an email address on the athletics web site.  I doubt he replies, but I can guess the response if he does.

But your question has been answered about why things have changed.

razorbrass

Quote from: Bogghawg on February 25, 2015, 10:47:21 am
OK, I live out of state and have had very little chance to attend games since I moved away in 91.  But I bought the package for the three games honoring Sydney, Corliss and Coach.  I posted after the Mizzou game how distressing BWA was for those of us who knew how great it could be.
Well, last night, I saw proof that there is nothing wrong with the crowd, the students or the building.  But it was beyond frustrating in how the powers that be handled time outs.  I don't know whether to blame to administration, the band, some vice president in charge of something or another... but they are screwing up what could be the old magic.
At 15 minutes in the 1st half, we were on a tremendous role, something awesome had just happened and the TV timeout came up.  It was completely instinct. I jumped up and began to swing my lasso.  In the day, the band would have commenced William Tell, the crowd would have sustained that frenzy and by the time the commercials were over it would have been twice as loud and the Aggies would have been behind the 8 ball.  But instead, we got a commercial for PIZZA HUT.  And after that, everyone just settled into their seats.  At 10 minutes it happened again, exactly.  And then when we really needed them in the second half, when I got the sense and was absolutely sure the crowd was ready to explode and wanted to help the team, all we got was the %#$!! canned music.  We don't have a chance to be what Barnhill was because we have planned our way our of it.  It's perfectly obvious.  Everything we need is there but the PTB have to be willing to give the time outs back to the band and the band has to be willing to study film and understand what they can do!  And this isn't just an old fart longing for the old days.  This is Ws and Ls.  This is huge.  Ask Coach Sutton or Coach Richardson.  This is fixable.  Surely what we would gain is worth more than Pizza Hut paid them for a %@$& commercial.
Blame a marketer
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

Squints Pallaboarus

Great piece on the Hogwild Band and Jim Robken. Great insight on how the band really energizes the crowd and the crowd energizes the team!

http://youtu.be/hLWPTacRHFE  (Roughly 6 mins)

Bonus - You get to see and hear Paul Eells.

Hawgdrummer7

Quote from: Squints Pallaboarus on February 25, 2015, 02:26:30 pm
Great piece on the Hogwild Band and Jim Robken. Great insight on how the band really energizes the crowd and the crowd energizes the team!

http://youtu.be/hLWPTacRHFE  (Roughly 6 mins)

Bonus - You get to see and hear Paul Eells.

Great video! Saw my dad in there a couple times playing on the drum set I learned to play on! My parents actually met in the razorback band. It's pretty cool to see videos from around that time, years before I was born
Woo Pig Drum

collins4heisman

Quote from: rude1 on February 25, 2015, 02:07:44 pm
Welcome to big time athletics. With the arms race that is going on in college athletics, every corporate dollar must be utilized to stay afloat and compete. This is why more and more Universities are opting for CEO types as their AD, usually ones who have no attachment to the University, which is why things such as fan experience and tradition become secondary to maximizing profits.
this.  Jeff long is corporate scum

The_Iceman

hoghearted

Quote from: Hogfaniam on February 25, 2015, 12:03:31 pm
The "in Arena" advertising needs to be passive.  Seen but not heard.  De commercialize the audible arena experience.  Give people a reason to get away from the excessive TV advertising of watching on TV.  Follow the video game mold.  Video games are about action.  The ads are subliminal.  If a video game stopped the action every few minutes for ads, people would reject it. 

C'mon Jeff.  Fix this.  Concentrate the ads in the foyers.  Give us back the arena.  Let the band and the cheerleaders do their job.

This was an overlooked post with good ideas. Why not forward this to Mr. Long, rather than just complaints?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hawgsmellgud

"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 25, 2015, 01:09:47 pm
Here is something from a Maryland game:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2377024-maryland-terrapins-students-impress-with-flash-mob-during-showdown-vs-wisconsin?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Yeah, Maryland home games are quite the scene.  They do student seating right at Maryland and they always show up.

In regards to the OP, first and foremost, I think we should serve rolls at all future home games. Secondly, I think we should simply allow the highest bidder to be each home game's official sponsor of the Hog Wild Band and the William Tell Overture. Let the band do their thing to fire up the crowd at key moments and then announce that said excitement generating ploy was sponsored by Pizza Hut or Petit Jean Meats, etc., the sponsor of this game's excitement generating ploy.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Hogfaniam

Quote from: hoghearted on February 25, 2015, 03:24:04 pm
This was an overlooked post with good ideas. Why not forward this to Mr. Long, rather than just complaints?

Dude. Long has people reading this site, especially these kind of threads.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

OldCoot

Quote from: HawgWild on February 25, 2015, 12:25:50 pm
I thought Old People were the problem.

The old people CREATED Barnhill and the whole experience.  You young'ens with your wolf howls cant hold a light to most of those old people.

pigbacon

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on February 25, 2015, 03:59:38 pm
Yeah, Maryland home games are quite the scene.  They do student seating right at Maryland and they always show up.

In regards to the OP, first and foremost, I think we should serve rolls at all future home games. Secondly, I think we should simply allow the highest bidder to be each home game's official sponsor of the Hog Wild Band and the William Tell Overture. Let the band do their thing to fire up the crowd at key moments and then announce that said excitement generating ploy was sponsored by Pizza Hut or Petit Jean Meats, etc., the sponsor of this game's excitement generating ploy.

I definitely could see how both could be brought together. Surely those companies want to advertise as much as the school wants the money...right?

It's all about the negotiating but I'm not in marketing, so I wouldn't know.

Hogsfan1981

Quote from: Bogghawg on February 25, 2015, 10:47:21 am
OK, I live out of state and have had very little chance to attend games since I moved away in 91.  But I bought the package for the three games honoring Sydney, Corliss and Coach.  I posted after the Mizzou game how distressing BWA was for those of us who knew how great it could be.
Well, last night, I saw proof that there is nothing wrong with the crowd, the students or the building.  But it was beyond frustrating in how the powers that be handled time outs.  I don't know whether to blame to administration, the band, some vice president in charge of something or another... but they are screwing up what could be the old magic.
At 15 minutes in the 1st half, we were on a tremendous role, something awesome had just happened and the TV timeout came up.  It was completely instinct. I jumped up and began to swing my lasso.  In the day, the band would have commenced William Tell, the crowd would have sustained that frenzy and by the time the commercials were over it would have been twice as loud and the Aggies would have been behind the 8 ball.  But instead, we got a commercial for PIZZA HUT.  And after that, everyone just settled into their seats.  At 10 minutes it happened again, exactly.  And then when we really needed them in the second half, when I got the sense and was absolutely sure the crowd was ready to explode and wanted to help the team, all we got was the %#$!! canned music.  We don't have a chance to be what Barnhill was because we have planned our way our of it.  It's perfectly obvious.  Everything we need is there but the PTB have to be willing to give the time outs back to the band and the band has to be willing to study film and understand what they can do!  And this isn't just an old fart longing for the old days.  This is Ws and Ls.  This is huge.  Ask Coach Sutton or Coach Richardson.  This is fixable.  Surely what we would gain is worth more than Pizza Hut paid them for a %@$& commercial.

You...I like you. This is a question someone needs to ask Jeff Long on the radio. Why are questions like this not asked? Is there some unspoken "don't ask about why are games are @#$%$@$ then they should be"  rule.

Why should it even have to be asked? Why isn't CMA pissed about this?

Bogghawg

ricepig

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on February 25, 2015, 06:26:58 pm
You...I like you. This is a question someone needs to ask Jeff Long on the radio. Why are questions like this not asked? Is there some unspoken "don't ask about why are games are @#$%$@$ then they should be"  rule.

Why should it even have to be asked? Why isn't CMA pissed about this?

He knows who pays his salary?

Hawg2afault

During the first timeout and the crowd was going wild we brought the baseball team out and that was followed up by crappy canned NBA music.  I thought to myself that the kids today don't have a clue about how wild things were in the Barn.  We need to bring back a real noise meter, cut out the stupid parachutes, and fire the DJ.  PS, that terrible ad for KNWA and their sports is also a crowd killer!

Bogghawg

Quote from: Hawg2afault on February 25, 2015, 08:16:10 pm
During the first timeout and the crowd was going wild we brought the baseball team out and that was followed up by crappy canned NBA music.  I thought to myself that the kids today don't have a clue about how wild things were in the Barn.  We need to bring back a real noise meter, cut out the stupid parachutes, and fire the DJ.  PS, that terrible ad for KNWA and their sports is also a crowd killer!
That was the 2nd timeout.  The 1st was the Pizza Hut commercial.  In any event, they all sucked.  And you're right.  The current students, band, etc, don't even realize what they are missing.  But even so, like I said earlier, all the elements are still there.  We just need to make a few, simple changes.  Even if they are expensive in terms of revenue.  I loved the idea earlier to have these sponsors simply sponsor the band; sponsor the timeouts - but loose the stupid, momentum killing commercials and canned music.

MountieDawg

Quote from: HamIAm on February 25, 2015, 10:51:35 am
Can we get this in a petition with about 20,000 signatures?

20,000 signatures wouldn't change their mind on advertising. 20,000 people offering $50.000 might.
SEC!