Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The next level. What's the best way to get there?

Started by Coondog Hog, February 10, 2014, 12:32:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Coondog Hog

Most of you gym forum users are familiar with my weightloss story over the last 13 months.  I'm currently neck deep in cardio preparing for my big race on March 29. I find myself asking then what.  I'm still a big guy at 5'11 240 and I'd like to find my way below 200 and see my slimmer body start shaping up.  I'm just looking for opinions I guess should I just continue building on my 20 mile per week cardio and diet? Is P90X or Insanity the way to go. Should I hit the gym or join a crossfit program.  I'm not sure where to go from here.  I'm elated about my journey to this point, but I want more and after my upcoming race I'd like to do enough running to keep myself in good shape, but I'd like to shape my body up and drop some more inches. For you guys in great shape what would you do if you were me.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Hogsooey

I'm not familiar with your journey, but here's my two cents that I'd give to a lot of folks who haven't been hitting the weights. If I were you, I'd join a gym and start some beginner barbell routine that focuses on compound exercises, especially the squat, deadlift, bench, and preferably something like barbell rows or power cleans and overhead press. There are tons of programs that will all be somewhat similar. You'll start light, even just the bar, to get your form down (very important!) and you follow some sort of linear progression where you are adding weight every workout or every week. You can do this for a while as a beginner.

While you are eating in a calorie deficit (the key to losing weight), properly lifting weights with adequate protein consumption has been shown to help preserve your lean body mass. It is easier to keep as much muscle as you can while losing weight, rather than lose more muscle and then try to put it back on after you reach your goal weight. Putting on muscle is hard work and you have to eat a lot! 

My wife is doing Stronglifts 5x5 and she is seeing good results, so you could look into that routine. I think it's free to download. It seems easy to follow and it hits the big compound lifts three times a week. Once you stall out on it, you can move to an intermediate program.  If you like to run, which is good for the ole heart and lungs, you could do it on some of your off days. Just make sure to get your rest.

Buff

Combine your cardio with some weight training.  HIIT routines will kick your ass, and the better shape you are in the harder you can go.  I'd hit the weights, just lifting a couple days per week, full body routines with good focus on flexibility, for a few weeks before jumping into P90X or interval training.  Now I'm curious, where can I find your story up to this point....somewhere in this forum I'm assuming.

Coondog Hog

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan

Coondog Hog

Thanks guys.  I'm in good shape now so now I want to make my shape good. I have a good weight bench here at the house souns like I need to find me a good program and get after it.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Hawgzilla

I lost 13 pounds on one round of Insanity....Its a tough workout but it will get you fit quick...

Coondog Hog

Quote from: Hawgzilla on February 11, 2014, 09:20:29 am
I lost 13 pounds on one round of Insanity....Its a tough workout but it will get you fit quick...

Could you see the difference or was it just weightloss?
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Hogfly

Quote from: Hogsooey on February 10, 2014, 01:37:33 pm
I'm not familiar with your journey, but here's my two cents that I'd give to a lot of folks who haven't been hitting the weights. If I were you, I'd join a gym and start some beginner barbell routine that focuses on compound exercises, especially the squat, deadlift, bench, and preferably something like barbell rows or power cleans and overhead press. There are tons of programs that will all be somewhat similar. You'll start light, even just the bar, to get your form down (very important!) and you follow some sort of linear progression where you are adding weight every workout or every week. You can do this for a while as a beginner.

While you are eating in a calorie deficit (the key to losing weight), properly lifting weights with adequate protein consumption has been shown to help preserve your lean body mass. It is easier to keep as much muscle as you can while losing weight, rather than lose more muscle and then try to put it back on after you reach your goal weight. Putting on muscle is hard work and you have to eat a lot! 

My wife is doing Stronglifts 5x5 and she is seeing good results, so you could look into that routine. I think it's free to download. It seems easy to follow and it hits the big compound lifts three times a week. Once you stall out on it, you can move to an intermediate program.  If you like to run, which is good for the ole heart and lungs, you could do it on some of your off days. Just make sure to get your rest.

This is good advice. The Bill Starr/MadCow/Starting Strength 5x5 routines are a good starting point for taking it to the next level (and beyond).

Hawgzilla

Saw a big difference and felt really great....I ate what I wanted and still lost the weight...

superior_wang

insanity is an ass kicker, but IMO its the best workout ive ever done. (i tried p90x and didnt like it nearly as much)

Insanity will get u into fantastic cardio shape and  it also hits most of your muscle groups, although i believe for some odd reason there arent any bicep workouts in it..the tris get hit plenty hard. fwiw i also do my regular gym workouts .  IMO , insanity plus  your normal gym workouts are the best. also, count your calories and  try hitting 300 grams of protein every day.( impossible to do without protein shakes). anyway, this works for me. im an old focker and im in better shape now than i was in my teens and 20s.

Hawgzilla

Same here Wang. ...Im doing the T25 right now
which seems to be easier....I have a barbell and weights in my man cave which I try to hit as often as I can....A protein shake every morning....Im 53 and trying to stay in the best shape possible...Some mornings I can really feel a great workout.

Coondog Hog

After I finnish the Hogeye I'm  going to give Insanity a run.  I've never done the protien shakes are they pretty filling.  I saw the big cans at Walmart and they said 1 serving had 170 calories & 30 grams of protien would something like that do as a meal replacement if you made a double batch?
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

GS99

I'm a fat guy but have always exercised a lot, I'm a regular runner and weightlifter.  In my experience., weight loss is 99.9% about how much food you shove down.  For someone who has had a little weight creep up while they were inactive, exercise can make a difference, but for many people exercise is nearly irrelevant for weight loss.

See
http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1914974,00.html

superior_wang

Quote from: Hawgzilla on February 13, 2014, 10:05:20 am
Same here Wang. ...Im doing the T25 right now
which seems to be easier....I have a barbell and weights in my man cave which I try to hit as often as I can....A protein shake every morning....Im 53 and trying to stay in the best shape possible...Some mornings I can really feel a great workout.

good job!... i like the results of working out, but honestly, its also like therapy for me, probably the only time of day my brain can relax!

Pork Twain

Quote from: Coondog Hog on February 10, 2014, 10:09:19 pm
Thanks guys.  I'm in good shape now so now I want to make my shape good. I have a good weight bench here at the house souns like I need to find me a good program and get after it.
The key to getting in shape and staying there is three-pronged.  Healthy diet (not fad), cardio and weight training.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/