Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What are you working on right now?

Started by clutch, May 12, 2013, 04:16:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

Just curious as to what everyone's fitness goals are right now. Just started my cutting routine. I forgot how bad I hate cutting.

H&D

Rebuilding and Rehabbing.  I had shoulder surgery a few months ago, and now I have finally been cleared to get back in the gym.  Unfortunately they detached my bicep during the surgery and I have a ton of rebuilding to do.   
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

arkie1us

I need some advice. Started working out at the gym. I am 68 years old, I weigh 190, and am 5-7. Been working for a month and a half. Iam just doing the basic compound exercises so far. At my age do I need any kind of supplements or am I just to old to worry about that stuff.

Dr. Starcs

I'd like to get rid of some fat as well. I only weigh 170, but just feel kinda soft. What's the best way?  I know diet and exercise, but any specifics would be great....

My body type is just weird. Skinny legs, and my fat is around mid section, chest and face.

clutch

Quote from: arkie1us on May 12, 2013, 04:56:30 pm
I need some advice. Started working out at the gym. I am 68 years old, I weigh 190, and am 5-7. Been working for a month and a half. Iam just doing the basic compound exercises so far. At my age do I need any kind of supplements or am I just to old to worry about that stuff.

I would definitely start on some protein if I was you. That would be the most important thing I could think of for you supplement wise.

clutch

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 12, 2013, 05:03:46 pm
I'd like to get rid of some fat as well. I only weigh 170, but just feel kinda soft. What's the best way?  I know diet and exercise, but any specifics would be great....

My body type is just weird. Skinny legs, and my fat is around mid section, chest and face.

When it comes to trimming fat diet really is the most important thing. I know it is said over and over, but that is because it is true. Eat clean. Cut out sweets. I like to do the bulk of my carbs earlier in the day, seems to be most effective for me. I try to eat really clean when I'm cutting fat. There are hundreds of different diets out there for this that you can find on by google. It mainly comes down to finding one that you think you could stick with and that fits into your budget.

Other than that, keep the intensity up in your workouts. Keep your heart rate up. A lot of people think they have to do a ton of cardio when trying to cut fat, but you really don't. You burn more calories lifting weights, especially if you keep the intensity high. I try to do a high intensity weight routine, followed by a lower intensity cardio session. On the weekends when I'm resting from weights, I usually throw in a short high intensity cardio such as sprints. Hills would be great, but there are none where I live.

I have a somewhat similar body to what you described. I don't have much fat on me, but when I am bulking over the winter I do tend to put on a little. It all seems to be around my stomach and sides. I still look skinny though when clothed. Seems like it takes a lot more work to ton up that area though. 

clutch

Quote from: H&D on May 12, 2013, 04:28:51 pm
Rebuilding and Rehabbing.  I had shoulder surgery a few months ago, and now I have finally been cleared to get back in the gym.  Unfortunately they detached my bicep during the surgery and I have a ton of rebuilding to do.   

I feel your pain. I've had 2 rotator cuff surgeries. I've determined that it will just be a life long problem now. I still have quite a bit of pain in my shoulder no matter what. I've learned to live with it, but it is frustrating a lot of times. I have to go lighter on a lot of exercises sometimes because of it. Another big problem from it was the loss of range of motion.

I sure did have a lot of fun playing baseball throughout school and in college, but sometimes I regret playing as much as I did because of my shoulder problems now. After the second surgery I decided it was time to quit playing college ball.

arkie1us

My grandson just graduated from college and we are working out together. He is 5-9, 180, and 23. We lift the same amount of weight. We started out at 40 lb dbs for bench and are up to 70 lb dbs. We do 2 warmups and 4 sets to failure between 8-12 reps. So we are making progress. We work chest and arms one day and back and shoulders the next day and legs another. We run on a treadmill for 30 minutes after every workout. Might try the protein powder. Thanks for the info.

clutch

Quote from: arkie1us on May 12, 2013, 08:19:59 pm
My grandson just graduated from college and we are working out together. He is 5-9, 180, and 23. We lift the same amount of weight. We started out at 40 lb dbs for bench and are up to 70 lb dbs. We do 2 warmups and 4 sets to failure between 8-12 reps. So we are making progress. We work chest and arms one day and back and shoulders the next day and legs another. We run on a treadmill for 30 minutes after every workout. Might try the protein powder. Thanks for the info.

Man it sounds like you are in great shape for your age. Keep it up!

Not only will you be much healthier, but it's pushing your grandson to get healthy and develop healthy habits that he can carry throughout his life. I bet it ticks him off when grandpa is keeping up with him and will motivate him to push that much harder.

Hogfly

Cutting and getting into pool/beach shape for the summer. Lots of HIIT kettlebell complexes while still maintaining the based of the Madcow 5x5.

hvsupastar

I'm trying a lot of core work. Really trying to strengthen my lower back and mid section. Also working on hip mobility / flexibility. I'm experimenting to see how much all of that can improve my distance in my golf swing. I've never heard that to be something to work on but in my mind it should work
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

clutch

Quote from: hvsupastar on May 12, 2013, 11:07:32 pm
I'm trying a lot of core work. Really trying to strengthen my lower back and mid section. Also working on hip mobility / flexibility. I'm experimenting to see how much all of that can improve my distance in my golf swing. I've never heard that to be something to work on but in my mind it should work

Hip mobility / flexibility will do wonders with your golf swing. I do a lot of flexibility stuff for the sole purpose of improving my golf game.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Trying to get bigger by picking up heavy things...and putting them doooooown.

Starting in August, I will begin a cutting cycle to get ready for my Caribbean Cruise.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

hvsupastar

Quote from: clutch on May 12, 2013, 11:09:40 pm
Hip mobility / flexibility will do wonders with your golf swing. I do a lot of flexibility stuff for the sole purpose of improving my golf game.

That's great news. I have always been super tight in all of my areas. It gets a little embarrassing being the biggest, strongest guy in the group and only got 250-280 off the tee box
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

hvsupastar

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on May 13, 2013, 05:56:12 am
for my Caribbean Cruise.

Are you inviting all of us or just rubbing it in our face

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: hvsupastar on May 13, 2013, 06:51:34 am
Are you inviting all of us or just rubbing it in our face

Sorry.  Didn't mean to gloat...or maybe I did.  I have never taken my wife anywhere to do anything in 10 years of marriage.  So, after a (another) year in Afghanistan, I figured I'd do something nice for her.  I'm way behind on doing nice things for her.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: clutch on May 12, 2013, 04:16:01 pm
Just curious as to what everyone's fitness goals are right now. Just started my cutting routine. I forgot how bad I hate cutting.

Getting down to 200 pounds and it has been a real battle.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ATU HOG

I'm home for almost 3 weeks from school and it's killing my diet.  Not that my diet was great to begin with, but it was better than what it is now. 

So for the next 3 weeks before I head back to Fayetteville, I'm trying to just get stronger and stay in as best shape as I can.  I go play a lot of basketball and fungo golf when I'm in town, so I'm pretty active along with working out.  My parents are feeding me though, so I'm eating like a champ!! ;D ;D

hawgrunner

I need to get rid of my waistline.

clutch

Quote from: ATU HOG on May 13, 2013, 02:43:36 pm
I'm home for almost 3 weeks from school and it's killing my diet.  Not that my diet was great to begin with, but it was better than what it is now. 

So for the next 3 weeks before I head back to Fayetteville, I'm trying to just get stronger and stay in as best shape as I can.  I go play a lot of basketball and fungo golf when I'm in town, so I'm pretty active along with working out.  My parents are feeding me though, so I'm eating like a champ!! ;D ;D

What is fungo golf? I've done a lot of fungo when I was playing baseball, and a lot of golf now, but never fungo golf.

Dr. Starcs

clutch

ATU HOG

Quote from: clutch on May 13, 2013, 08:57:59 pm
What is fungo golf? I've done a lot of fungo when I was playing baseball, and a lot of golf now, but never fungo golf.
Haha I usually coach Legion in the summer and we play all the time.  Pick out a spot on the field,(usually signs, landing it on the plate, gaps from the fences, etc.) everything is a par 3.  Pretty fun game

Huckleberry Pig

trying to get toned for summer.  I'm 6' and about 165lbs, so pretty lean to begin with.  Problem I have is keeping on muscle and recently keeping away some cushion around the lower belly/lower back.

Have started boxing 3 days a week for one hour at Title Boxing Club (in Dallas).  They are group classes that do 15 minutes of warmup, 30 minutes of boxing, and 15 minutes of abs/core.  Couldn't be more pleased with it.  If anyone gets a chance, I strongly suggest it.

I lift the other three days.  Focus on calisthenics (pushups/dips/pull ups) but will super set them.  Example:

Exercise 1 -  pushups (burnout), bench (try to get sets of 8-10), followed immediately by box jumps (5) and jump rope (30 seconds). 

4 sets of that.  Try to do it as quickly as you can. Then on to dips/tricep pulls and pull-ups/curls (all followed by box jumps and jump rope) - 4 sets of each.  I mix up the weight exercises but always include the calisthenics and box jumps/jump rope. 

So far, it has been the system that gets me toned the most effectively.  That and eating right.  Like mentioned above, enough can't be said about eating healthy.

clutch

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on May 14, 2013, 04:41:43 pm
That and eating right.  Like mentioned above, enough can't be said about eating healthy.

God I hate it that this is so true. It really has to be priority #1 though if you are trying to tone up. Really sucks.

It's not the food that bothers me, it's the extra amount of work it takes to eat properly that is hard. I have a lot of healthy eating recipes that taste amazing, it's just that you have to pretty much prepare a meal for yourself for every meal of the day. There aren't any good options of grabbing something quick during your lunch break. I rely heavily on pre cooking all my meals. I usually cook a couple days worth of meals at a time so I don't have to worry about cooking breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day. The only way I can stay on a good diet. Just not enough hours in the day.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: clutch on May 14, 2013, 07:24:45 pm
God I hate it that this is so true. It really has to be priority #1 though if you are trying to tone up. Really sucks.

It's not the food that bothers me, it's the extra amount of work it takes to eat properly that is hard. I have a lot of healthy eating recipes that taste amazing, it's just that you have to pretty much prepare a meal for yourself for every meal of the day. There aren't any good options of grabbing something quick during your lunch break. I rely heavily on pre cooking all my meals. I usually cook a couple days worth of meals at a time so I don't have to worry about cooking breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day. The only way I can stay on a good diet. Just not enough hours in the day.

Spot on, definitely prep is the hardest part.  I've actually started buying these salmon paddies in bulk at Costco that I REALLY enjoy, and they take no time at all to cook.  I have a George Foreman i throw them on and it takes maybe 5 minutes to cook one.  Add a little pepper on top and a splash of barbecue sauce and you are good to go. 

I have been trying to kinda follow the caveman diet where I only eat what's natural so I've been doing eggs for breakfast with some spinach leafs mixed in, the salmon paddies for lunch with carrots and green beans as a side, and tilapia for dinner with carrots/green beans/spinach as a side/s as well.  For dessert I have been getting strawberries since they are pretty cheap and I must admit to sometimes getting greek yogurt to go along with it (btw if you can, get greek instead of regular - much better for you).

However, since I've started this, I can really tell a difference in not only feeling better, but getting toned quicker as well. 

Tai_Mai_Shu

First time to do squat and lower leg workouts since my achilles surgery.

clutch

Quote from: Tai_Mai_Shu on May 21, 2013, 09:42:05 am
First time to do squat and lower leg workouts since my achilles surgery.

Those legs are going to be screaming in a day or two after a long layoff. I feel sorry for you.

Tai_Mai_Shu

Quote from: clutch on May 21, 2013, 12:24:15 pm
Those legs are going to be screaming in a day or two after a long layoff. I feel sorry for you.

I'm feeling it today.  Like walking around with bricks.

clutch

Quote from: Tai_Mai_Shu on May 22, 2013, 09:44:09 am

I started a new leg workout 3 days ago. Mine were super sore the past two days. Feel a lot better today though. It's always that 2nd day after that its the worst.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Tai_Mai_Shu on May 22, 2013, 09:44:09 am

Just changed up my leg/back routine.  I was getting bored and my body needed a change, so I went with dead lifts, hang-cleans, goblet squats, and some make-em-up-as-you-go's.  My legs hate me right now.

Hawg Balling

Trying to work legs more.

We have a gym at work but it's more suited for upper body work (i.e. mostly dumbbells), so I have to make due and improvise.  I've trained upper body fairly hard at the expense of legs for quite a while, so I'm looking to even it up a bit.

Tai_Mai_Shu

Quote from: clutch on May 22, 2013, 12:35:50 pm
I started a new leg workout 3 days ago. Mine were super sore the past two days. Feel a lot better today though. It's always that 2nd day after that its the worst.

You are correct. The second day is a whole lot worse than the first.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Hawg Balling on May 23, 2013, 04:11:30 pm

We have a gym at work but it's more suited for upper body work (i.e. mostly dumbbells), so I have to make due and improvise.  I've trained upper body fairly hard at the expense of legs for quite a while, so I'm looking to even it up a bit.

clutch

Quote from: Hawg Balling on May 23, 2013, 04:11:30 pm

You could do some dumbbell front squat, sissy squats, lunges, romanian deadlifts, etc. Not quite as good as having the full leg setup, but beats nothing.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: clutch on May 23, 2013, 09:10:37 pm
You could do some dumbbell front squat, sissy squats, lunges, romanian deadlifts, etc. Not quite as good as having the full leg setup, but beats nothing.

Yep -- been doing regular dumbbell side squat, dumbbell lunges (I hate the world after these things), and stiff leg deadlift (I think that's the Romanian DL you mentioned).

clutch

Quote from: Hawg Balling on May 24, 2013, 12:18:37 pm
and stiff leg deadlift (I think that's the Romanian DL you mentioned).

yep same thing. You could also throw in some side lunges and stuff. You can get a pretty decent leg workout in.

Hogfly

Bulgarian Split Squat is good as well

clutch

Quote from: Hogfly on May 24, 2013, 05:41:16 pm
Bulgarian Split Squat is good as well

Those SUCK. I would advise people to start off light with these. You won't be able to do near as much as you think you can.

Thanks for posting that, gave me a reminder that I need to work those back into my routine. 

ATU HOG

Tomorrow the cleansing begins!!! Heading back to Fayetteville for some summer classes.  I go to school everyday starting at 9:30.  Done at 12:30.  Then work till 5:30 everyday. 

Excited to get in a good routine where I can do cardio first thing in the morning.  Eat breakfast, go to class, eat lunch, go to work, then workout after work.

Bout to start shredding.  I weigh 187 right now, plan on being 180 pretty quick.

Here we go!!!

clutch

All I've worked on this weekend was my beer belly. I'll be having to work extra hard starting Tuesday.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: clutch on May 26, 2013, 09:09:10 pm
All I've worked on this weekend was my beer belly. I'll be having to work extra hard starting Tuesday.

haha makes two of us

Hogfly

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on May 28, 2013, 09:44:00 am
haha makes two of us

Three. Was in NYC last weekend on a trip that lasted halfway into the week. I didn't do squat there except a 6 mile run in Central Park, but I ate and drank like crazy. All week, I skipped my workouts trying to get back into a routine after returning from the trip which then led into Memorial Day Weekend, in which I ate and drank like crazy again.

This morning I got into the gym, did my major lifts then finished off with a 15 minute kettlebell complex from hell. I'll be hurting tomorrow.

Silver Hog

front squats - but the bar is bruising my shoulders, need to keep tinkering to find some way to make it more comfortable.  And sissy squats, gosh I forgot how wrong that name was.

H&D

Quote from: Silver Hog on May 28, 2013, 10:47:36 am
front squats - but the bar is bruising my shoulders, need to keep tinkering to find some way to make it more comfortable.  And sissy squats, gosh I forgot how wrong that name was.

Get a yoke bar, I have to use one because of a shoulder injury, they work great. 

\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

clutch

I can never get comfortable with front squats. Past shoulder injuries and loss of range of motion makes it hard from my arms to get into position on the bar. I can't do the cross arm stuff, feel like the bar is going to roll off.

And yeah, there is nothing sissy about sissy squats. Those things suck.

Iamphatman

I've got the same problem.  When I do front squats, I can't get my elbows far enough forward to keep the bar on my chest as I get down to parallel and below.  I just don't have the flexibility in my arms to pull it off, so I end up using the crossed arm technique.  That works fine unless I'm doing thrusters or something, and then I just have to suffer through.   

Hogfly

I've never done traditional front squats with a bar. What sorts of weight are you guys doing?

Another option might be doing front squats with racked kettlebells, assuming your gym has heavy enough ones (48kg), you could get up to 212 lb. load:

Iamphatman

Quote from: Hogfly on May 29, 2013, 09:27:41 am
I've never done traditional front squats with a bar. What sorts of weight are you guys doing?

Another option might be doing front squats with racked kettlebells, assuming your gym has heavy enough ones (48kg), you could get up to 212 lb. load:

My max weight on front squat is like 205 I think.  I usually do reps at about 145, or less if I'm doing higher reps. 

Hogsmo Kramer

For you guys trying to do front squats without the cross arm technique try this.

Take your basic wrist straps and put them around the bar the same way you would around your wrists.

Then grasp the long part of the strap that's not around the bar and get into proper front squat position and use the straps as a kind of handle/support to stabilize the bar.

It'll take some getting used to but it works as long as you have a proper shelf for the bar from your shoulders which you should be doing anyway. Just remember elbows high and and you should be good.

Good luck!
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!