Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Running a 50K

Started by hawgrunner, April 02, 2013, 05:07:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgrunner

Just signed up for my first ultra!! Like 26.2 wasn't good enough.

hawgrunner

Hogsmo Kramer

Good luck man I'd rather dig out my eye with a spoon than run that far but definitely a worthy challenge.

You ever read "Born to Run"?

If not it's a great book about ultra marathons and the Tarahumara running tribe.

It almost made me wanna run long distance...........almost.  ;)
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

clutch

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on April 04, 2013, 10:33:19 pm
Good luck man I'd rather dig out my eye with a spoon than run that far but definitely a worthy challenge.

If not it's a great book about ultra marathons and the Tarahumara running tribe.

This is how I am. I run just enough to stay in shape. I have no desire run longer distances. Most of the time I'd rather do 20 mins worth of sprints than distance runs too. I just get way too bored running distance runs.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on April 04, 2013, 10:33:19 pm

I've it on my list do get for my Nook but haven't got to downloading it yet.  I did, back over the holidays read "Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner" by Dean Karnazes

hawgrunner

Quote from: clutch on April 05, 2013, 06:37:31 am
This is how I am. I run just enough to stay in shape. I have no desire run longer distances. Most of the time I'd rather do 20 mins worth of sprints than distance runs too. I just get way too bored running distance runs.

going out and running over 2 hours can get to ya but if it's a good trail run you have some great view that if you at a good location.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: rock642 on April 05, 2013, 04:55:02 pm

I've it on my list do get for my Nook but haven't got to downloading it yet.  I did, back over the holidays read "Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner" by Dean Karnazes

Yeah it's a really cool book.

It's amazing what those tribesman do; 100 freaking miles in nothing but sandals that's insane!
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

10thPlanet

Nice! I was thinking typo! Good Luck!

Lando Calrissian

Aragorn ran 150 miles in 4 days in The Two Towers.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on April 10, 2013, 06:31:10 am
Aragorn ran 150 miles in 4 days in The Two Towers.

At the ripe old age of 88!

hawgrunner

Well next week the 16 week training plan starts!

hawgrunner

Week one of my 50K training complete. 34.05 miles ran and 4,184 calories burned.

Tai_Mai_Shu

Quote from: rock642 on July 16, 2013, 12:56:27 am
Week one of my 50K training complete. 34.05 miles ran and 4,184 calories burned.

How do you find time to train? That is amazing!

hawgrunner

Finding time can have its challenges, but if you want it bad enough you'll find time.

hawgrunner

Long run this weekend complete, 18 miles!

hawgrunner

Ran a trail marathon today, over 2,900 ft elevation gain at the 4,000ft level. Holy Cow! that was tough!

Delicious~Dreams

Quote from: rock642 on September 29, 2013, 10:47:36 pm
Ran a trail marathon today, over 2,900 ft elevation gain at the 4,000ft level. Holy Cow! that was tough!

That's Amazing.  Congratulations.   I wish I could run that far.  It seems to be a slow and frustrating process to build endurance with miles at this time for me.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on October 05, 2013, 05:03:27 pm
rock is a beast.

:)

Quote from: Delicious~Dreams on October 05, 2013, 11:34:36 am
That's Amazing.  Congratulations.   I wish I could run that far.  It seems to be a slow and frustrating process to build endurance with miles at this time for me.

THX, It was a slow run but yea even for me it took time and a lot of miles to get that endurance level up.
I still have a 50K at the end of the month so we'll see how I do there.

Hogbody

You're a beast. What's a training plan for a 50K like?

I'm still trying to work up the guts to sign up for the next Little Rock marathon. Only done halves so far

Delicious~Dreams

When is your 50k rock?   It's getting close to the end of the month! 

hawgrunner

Quote from: Hogbody on October 16, 2013, 12:20:17 pm
You're a beast. What's a training plan for a 50K like?

I'm still trying to work up the guts to sign up for the next Little Rock marathon. Only done halves so far

I was using this as a guide line for training..
http://running.competitor.com/2013/08/training/going-longer-how-to-train-for-your-first-50k_61887
But having to dealing with a hamstring issue and piriformis syndrome haven't hit all the runs 100% but I'll still make it to the finish line. :)

hawgrunner

Quote from: Delicious~Dreams on October 16, 2013, 07:39:03 pm
When is your 50k rock?   It's getting close to the end of the month! 

yep, its on the 27th.

After I get this under my belt and clear up some running injuries I'm dealing with at the monent the PCT 50 miler will be next big race. (or that's what I'm thinking)

Delicious~Dreams

Great Read!   Thanks for the tips!    I have been trying to do planks etc to strengthen my core and squats for my legs.   Hopefully in time it will help.   I just get really weak and muscle fatigued right now being a fairly new runner. 

Good Luck Sunday!!!

hawgrunner

Quote from: Delicious~Dreams on October 25, 2013, 11:46:32 am
Great Read!   Thanks for the tips!    I have been trying to do planks etc to strengthen my core and squats for my legs.   Hopefully in time it will help.   I just get really weak and muscle fatigued right now being a fairly new runner. 

Good Luck Sunday!!!

Thanks,

I had a good large bowl of carb loading spaghetti tonight! :)

hawgrunner

Complete!!!

5hr and 57min!

Boy that was tough... :)

Delicious~Dreams

Congratulations!   That is Unbelievable! 

No way I could ever run that.   

Hogwop

Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

hawgrunner

Murr