Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

next years defense looks to be great . losing very little and more experienced

Started by tophawg19, September 03, 2015, 06:52:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

however the offensive line looks like the trouble area to me. most of our backups this season are very young. Any projections on how we fix that ? otherwise this team next year looks like they could challenge for the crown. that defense looks good enough to carry us part of the way .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

chitwnhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 03, 2015, 06:52:52 pm
however the offensive line looks like the trouble area to me. most of our backups this season are very young. Any projections on how we fix that ? otherwise this team next year looks like they could challenge for the crown. that defense looks good enough to carry us part of the way .

It's game week...let's focus on 2015.

Arthur pigby sellers.

JC recruiting.  We're on a big time OT I think from Utah that Richard thinks we have a good shot at.  Hopefully the walk on Gibson is the real deal.  We need to hope Skipper stays for his senior year.  If he does we have Skipper at one tackle, then Gibson, Wallace or JC lineman at the other tackle.  Ragnow will be back at one OG.   Merrick or Allen will probably win the other spot with Rogers as the center.  If our TE's come back, it could be a decent line. 

tophawg19

Just looking at the depth chart and classification of players really has me excited for next years team.

ChicoHog

Defense only loses Gaines, Loewen and Hodge unless some juniors depart.  Should be awesome in 2016.  But right now we are only focused on 2015.  We will worry about 2016 in February. 

tophawg19

finding a couple RB'S And a couple  O-LINEMEN and i think the hogs have to be favorites in the west . especially if one of the young QB'S steps up and gets playing time .

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: DawgTownHog on September 03, 2015, 07:40:15 pm
Nah. Apparently he's a fan of predicting all the bowl games prior to the season even starting.

Lake City Hog

We will have Skipper, Ragnow and Wallace to anchor the line. Look for Allen and Gibson to get some valuable experience this year. Throw in Merrick, Jackson, Koehler and Rogers and we should be a better than average SEC O'Line with back-ups that won't kill us.
If we could add a Juco guy in December that would just be gravy!

With Austin Allen getting a full season of tutelage from Enos we shouldn't see a huge drop-off at QB. And is it possible that Story or Town could blossom next spring!

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hview

HogPharmer

Seriously? We haven't played a down yet and we're talking about next year?
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

presidenthog

Quote from: HogPharmer on September 03, 2015, 10:32:10 pm
Seriously? We haven't played a down yet and we're talking about next year?
I've already thought about this same idea. hog future is very bright under CBB. In saying this though just enjoy the ride. One day down the road he will leave/retire. whatever happens. For now I'm just enjoying the process of becoming a power for years to come as long as he is here.

Biggus Piggus

Next year's offensive line will be fine. They already know what they are going to do. More athletic line, capable of more and different things. Not the primary concern. Getting enough tailbacks is the most important thing.
[CENSORED]!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DawgTownHog on September 03, 2015, 07:40:15 pm

I've never understood it............It's as if some on here want to say what their second kid will be like before the first one is even conceived. Doesn't make sense.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 04, 2015, 07:28:42 am
I've never understood it............It's as if some on here want to say what their second kid will be like before the first one is even conceived. Doesn't make sense.
Probably gonna be ugly...

HappyHog

I disagree with everyone who is bashing the OP.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with looking ahead.  Governments do it, businesses do it, leaders do it, and coaches certainly do it.  Why can't fans?  Now, if someone looks a year out and has a sky is falling 'we are going to be terrible' perspective then I would have to chide them a bit for being shortsighted and prone to pessimism.  However, the OP was merely sharing his enthusiasm over our future and endorsing what the coaching staff is building.  Why the hate Hog fans - part of anything worth doing is dreaming of the future!  Having said that - I am also VERY excited about tomorrow.  WPS!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HappyHog on September 04, 2015, 07:40:09 am
I disagree with everyone who is bashing the OP.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with looking ahead.  Governments do it, businesses do it, leaders do it, and coaches certainly do it.  Why can't fans?  Now, if someone looks a year out and has a sky is falling 'we are going to be terrible' perspective then I would have to chide them a bit for being shortsighted and prone to pessimism.  However, the OP was merely sharing his enthusiasm over our future and endorsing what the coaching staff is building.  Why the hate Hog fans - part of anything worth doing is dreaming of the future!  Having said that - I am also VERY excited about tomorrow.  WPS!
I was one that was not endorsing the look (way) ahead approach of the OP. While anyone can look ahead and project, no one really knows for certain. While I may SUSPECT what the future holds, there are way too many variables-kids deciding on going to the NFL, injuries, transfers, coaching staff changes and other factors-to say for sure. In other words, while I have complete faith in the staff, no one can ever accuse me of not being a big CBB supporter, to sit here and say we're definitely going to be great, terrific or whatever in '16 BEFORE we even play a down THIS season is definitely getting a little ahead of ones self. BTW that doesn't necessarily make me (or anyone else) a "debbie downer"; it merely makes us realists/cautious about getting too far ahead of things.

As I said in my original response it's kinda like someone pronouncing what teams will be playing in post season bowl games before the season even kicks off. Total guesswork and assumptions. Also total futility.

One last thing: I'd personally be very wary of using anything the government does to forecast the future. Those are some of the most short-sighted, bone-headed sources for successful "reading tea leaves"  in the history of the world.

Pork Twain

Three areas I will never worry about with CBB: OL, DL and RB.  His track has proven this to be an area we need not concern ourselves with even a little, but here we are...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 04, 2015, 08:39:55 am
I was one that was not endorsing the look (way) ahead approach of the OP. While anyone can look ahead and project, no one really knows for certain. While I may SUSPECT what the future holds, there are way too many variables-kids deciding on going to the NFL, injuries, transfers, coaching staff changes and other factors-to say for sure. In other words, while I have complete faith in the staff, no one can ever accuse me of not being a big CBB supporter, to sit here and say we're definitely going to be great, terrific or whatever in '16 BEFORE we even play a down THIS season is definitely getting a little ahead of ones self. BTW that doesn't necessarily make me (or anyone else) a "debbie downer"; it merely makes us realists/cautious about getting too far ahead of things.

As I said in my original response it's kinda like someone pronouncing what teams will be playing in post season bowl games before the season even kicks off. Total guesswork and assumptions. Also total futility.

One last thing: I'd personally be very wary of using anything the government does to forecast the future. Those are some of the most short-sighted, bone-headed sources for successful "reading tea leaves"  in the history of the world.
Very well said
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

The_Iceman

Brian Wallace
Jalen Merrick
Frank Ragnow
Zach Rogers
Reeve Koehler
Colton Jackson
Josh Allen
Johnny Gibson
Jake Hall (didn't he move from TE to T?)

If we lose Kirkland and Skipper to the NFL, and we don't count any JUCO's or incoming freshmen, that is our OL for next year. Still pretty talented.

MJ2

A true Hog fan!    Frank taught us years ago that things will be better next year.

Wildhog

We'll have a talented, but thin OL in 2016.  Signing 5+ OL in this class is critical.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 04, 2015, 08:57:40 am
Brian Wallace
Jalen Merrick
Frank Ragnow
Zach Rogers
Reeve Koehler
Colton Jackson
Josh Allen
Johnny Gibson
Jake Hall (didn't he move from TE to T?)

If we lose Kirkland and Skipper to the NFL, and we don't count any JUCO's or incoming freshmen, that is our OL for next year. Still pretty talented.

I haven't seen anything about Hall moving to OT.  Of course that doesn't mean that he isn't.

We currently have 13 scholarship OL.  We're losing four this year for sure and probably five.  We have to sign five OL just to have as many scholarship OL as we have this year, and Pittman/Bielema have said we're way too low in numbers on the OL.  They want 15-18 scholarship OL on the roster.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Iwastherein1969

its much more difficult for an O lineman to leave for the NFL in year 3 than it is for skilled position players....the O linemen in the NFL usually reach their peak aroung 28 years of age....you have to be ultra talented and a full grown man to jump from year 3 in college to the NFL and expect to even make the scout squad....the only one I see that has a remote chance of jumping to the NFL after 3 years is Kirkland...I enjoy Skipper but his body is not ready for the NFL and he wouldn't be drafted...he'll need to stay until year 4 and work on his body quite a bit more.....Skipper's pad level would make it tough for him to compete in the NFL now nor next year....he must get stronger

ad; as to not derail the thread, yes, our defense will be getting better and better with more depth and solid all over the field...this is the one thing Bielema has brought to the UA that is comforting, a defense that will compete and will 'bring the hat'
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

bigred223

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 04, 2015, 09:11:31 am
its much more difficult for an O lineman to leave for the NFL in year 3 than it is for skilled position players....the O linemen in the NFL usually reach their peak aroung 28 years of age....you have to be ultra talented and a full grown man to jump from year 3 in college to the NFL and expect to even make the scout squad....the only one I see that has a remote chance of jumping to the NFL after 3 years is Kirkland...I enjoy Skipper but his body is not ready for the NFL and he wouldn't be drafted...he'll need to stay until year 4 and work on his body quite a bit more.....Skipper's pad level would make it tough for him to compete in the NFL now nor next year....he must get stronger

ad; as to not derail the thread, yes, our defense will be getting better and better with more depth and solid all over the field...this is the one thing Bielema has brought to the UA that is comforting, a defense that will compete and will 'bring the hat'

Yeah, Skipper isn't going anywhere. I think Kirkland may if he has a big year at LT.

Wildhog

Quote from: bigred223 on September 04, 2015, 09:21:12 am
Yeah, Skipper isn't going anywhere. I think Kirkland may if he has a big year at LT.

Yeah, I think Skipper stays, too.  I do think Kirkland is likely to go, though.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Iceman

Quote from: Wildhog on September 04, 2015, 09:22:47 am
Yeah, I think Skipper stays, too.  I do think Kirkland is likely to go, though.

Kirkland will have a lot of interest from the NFL. He can play both guard positions and likely RT. Not sure he can play LT or C at the NFL level. But a talent like him will go high in the NFL draft.

jmb1973

I was walking past the OB unit at my local hospital and have to say Im excited about the incoming class of 2033. Our defense will be stacked. These babies are huge and athletic.

Wildhog

I really can't stand the people that think it's stupid to talk about next year.  We're not talking about 2020.  We're talking about where our team is going to be in four months.  It's not ridiculous.  It's very relevant.  Besides, some people just like talking football.  If you don't like the thread, don't click on the damn thread.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pork Twain

I don't think it is stupid to talk about it, but can we at least enjoy the first game this year before we start worrying about depth in one of the deepest and best coached units on our team?

Wildhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 04, 2015, 09:51:46 am
I don't think it is stupid to talk about it, but can we at least enjoy the first game this year before we start worrying about depth in one of the deepest and best coached units on our team?

Of course we can.  Everyone's talking about this week/season.  A LOT.

It's one freaking thread.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Wildhog on September 04, 2015, 09:36:11 am
I really can't stand the people that think it's stupid to talk about next year.  We're not talking about 2020.  We're talking about where our team is going to be in four months.  It's not ridiculous.  It's very relevant.  Besides, some people just like talking football.  If you don't like the thread, don't click on the damn thread.
Hey, being a member of this site I'll review any and all posts I like. I'll also feel free to express my feelings, as long as they're deemed appropriate by the mods, whether or not you agree with it, anytime and any way I want (just as you have that right). IF you go back and read my responses you'll note I never said the OP doesn't have the right to publish his comments. I merely expressed the opinion that I thought it was way too early to guess/forecast about such.   

BTW as an aside you might want to slightly recalculate your own math when it comes to the four month observation. While it is true 2016 will officially roll around in four months, the 2016 SEASON won't for another year. So while we're trying to set the record straight and all.........

Wildhog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 04, 2015, 09:53:02 am
Hey, being a member of this site I'll review any and all posts I like. I'll also feel free to express my feelings, as long as they're deemed appropriate by the mods, whether or not you agree with it, anytime and any way I want (just as you have that right). IF you go back and read my responses you'll note I never said the OP doesn't have the right to publish his comments. I merely expressed the opinion that I thought it was way too early to guess/forecast about such.   

BTW as an aside you might want to slightly recalculate your own math when it comes to the four month observation. While it is true 2016 will officially roll around in four months, the 2016 SEASON won't for another year. So while we're trying to set the record straight and all.........

Our season will be over in about four months.  It's a whole new team after that.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PonderinHog

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Wildhog on September 04, 2015, 09:36:11 am
While we're at it then why don't you share with us your keen insight into this bowl game match ups and who you see as playing and winning each. I mean as long as we're going to forecast what the future holds and all. After all, as you pointed out, these will start to be played in just three months so we can't wait too late to start making those predictions...........

Wildhog

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 04, 2015, 09:56:01 am
Everybody needs to focus!   >:(

"The Dark Lord was suddenly aware of him, and his Eye piercing all shadows looked across the plain to the door that he had made; and the magnitude of his own folly was revealed to him in a blinding flash, and all the devices of his enemies were at last laid bare."
1909/1964/1965/1977

AugustaHog

Here's a positional breakdown of how we look:
QB:  Need someone to step up.  If AA has really taken those strides and is the "best non-starter" on this team, then maybe we have something there.
RB:  Walker, RWIII, Day, and Evans are a good start.  If we add 2 studs in recruiting, we're good.
FB:  Hayden Johnson should be a stud at this spot once he learns the offense.  If not, Cantrell/Kody will have to do again next year.
TE:  Stacked, even if HH goes pro.
OL:  We will lose Smothers and maybe DK (if so look at Gibson at LT).  I can't see Skipper leaving.  I could see him being slid into the OG spot and Wallace taking over RT next year.  Ragnow will play somewhere, probably LG but may get a look at OC.  Josh Allen, Merrick, and Rogers will be key depth along with whoever we are looking at in recruiting.  Garrett Bolles may be the answer in a battle with Gibson for the LT if we lose DK.  We will be ok at this spot.  No great fall-off here.
WR:  We lose Keon, but get a year of growth from a ton of talented guys.  I don't see this being an issue.
DL:  We lose Hodge and Loewen and will add Capps, Guidry, Agim, and probably another stud or two in recruiting.  Agim will play right away.  DL, if it's possible, will be more of a strength next year.  We are turning into a factory on the lines.
LB:  We should return everyone and add a year of experience across the board.  Depth is still an issue, but quality will increase.
DBs:  The CB line is getting long and we should see some serious depth here.  S depth is still not perfect, but I would expect that we see Sykes or Santos step up and take Gaines place pretty seamlessly.
P/K:  We still don't know what we have here, but I expect that Hedlund will be nasty and we will play wait and see on the punting situation for next year.  Good news is we have good options in Baker and Johnson.

The sticking points will be QB and RB.  If we answer our needs in recruiting at the RB spot and find a good QB, we will be absurd the next few years.

Wildhog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 04, 2015, 09:57:00 am
While we're at it then why don't you share with us your keen insight into this bowl game match ups and who you see as playing and winning each. I mean as long as we're going to forecast what the future holds and all. After all, as you pointed out, these will start to be played in just three months so we can't wait too late to start making those predictions...........

All I've really projected is OL numbers.  We're losing four senior scholarship offensive lineman.  That's a fact.

We have to sign as many OL as we lose to maintain our current number of scholarship OL.  Also a fact.

You apparently have a problem with using the roster to point out facts, which is puzzling.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Wildhog on September 04, 2015, 09:54:12 am
Our season will be over in about four months.  It's a whole new team after that.
Exactly my point. As I pointed out in my original response there are a TON of variables that can, and likely will, shift between now and the start of next year to start making such glowing pronouncements of how great our defense is going to be very premature. Again, I'm a HUGE fan of CBB, Rob Smith and the rest of the staff. However, until we can quantify with more certainty some of the major factors-including whether or not our DC, staff and what players will still be here-then I suspect the OP is suspect. For instance, what would be your attitude IF, God forbid, we somehow lost one of more of our staff-thinking more Smith here-or several key players are injured or decide to move to the NFL. Would you necessarily be as enthusiastic as you are now? I certainly hope that we don't face such possibilities; however, trying to "keep it real" I also want to consider the potential of such. Therefore, I also don't want to get too far ahead of the game......

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 04, 2015, 08:44:21 am
Three areas I will never worry about with CBB: OL, DL and RB.  His track has proven this to be an area we need not concern ourselves with even a little, but here we are...
Right on. And with Enos on board, I don't think we will have to worry about QB either  :razorback:

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Wildhog on September 04, 2015, 10:00:22 am
All I've really projected is OL numbers.  We're losing four senior scholarship offensive lineman.  That's a fact.

We have to sign as many OL as we lose to maintain our current number of scholarship OL.  Also a fact.

You apparently have a problem with using the roster to point out facts, which is puzzling.
I'm not even addressing the OL situation (or offense in general) as the OP was concerning the DEFENSE. Therefore, perhaps you're the one who's having a problem with addressing the point of the entire thread.

Wildhog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 04, 2015, 10:06:03 am
Exactly my point. As I pointed out in my original response there are a TON of variables that can, and likely will, shift between now and the start of next year to start making such glowing pronouncements of how great our defense is going to be very premature. Again, I'm a HUGE fan of CBB, Rob Smith and the rest of the staff. However, until we can quantify with more certainty some of the major factors-including whether or not our DC, staff and what players will still be here-then I suspect the OP is suspect. For instance, what would be your attitude IF, God forbid, we somehow lost one of more of our staff-thinking more Smith here-or several key players are injured or decide to move to the NFL. Would you necessarily be as enthusiastic as you are now? I certainly hope that we don't face such possibilities; however, trying to "keep it real" I also want to consider the potential of such. Therefore, I also don't want to get too far ahead of the game......

You're right.  There are all kinds of things that can happen between now and then.  However, if we still have Robb Smith, he IS going to have a LOT to work with next  year.  We'll be returning almost every starter.  There's a chance we could lose a player or two to the NFL, but we've got solid depth at the places that's most likely to occur.

Regardless, we should expect to have another very good D next year, barring some major off-season changes.  And if/when they do happen, we'll reassess the situation at that time.  It's not like we're going to stop talking football anytime soon.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 04, 2015, 10:09:26 am
I'm not even addressing the OL situation (or offense in general) as the OP was concerning the DEFENSE. Therefore, perhaps you're the one who's having a problem with addressing the point of the entire thread.

The thread took a turn to the OL before I brought it up. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Wildhog on September 04, 2015, 10:10:17 am
You're right.  There are all kinds of things that can happen between now and then.  However, if we still have Robb Smith, he IS going to have a LOT to work with next  year.  We'll be returning almost every starter.  There's a chance we could lose a player or two to the NFL, but we've got solid depth at the places that's most likely to occur.

Regardless, we should expect to have another very good D next year, barring some major off-season changes.  And if/when they do happen, we'll reassess the situation at that time.  It's not like we're going to stop talking football anytime soon.
My point has been made....talk, project, guess, etc....all you want. However, I'm obviously taking the stance that I'll begin projecting much closer to the actual time when it's more appropriate and when we have more FACTS/certainties to deal with. In the meantime it's merely a projection of things assumed, and hence too early.

Wildhog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 04, 2015, 10:14:37 am
My point has been made....talk, project, guess, etc....all you want. However, I'm obviously taking the stance that I'll begin projecting much closer to the actual time when it's more appropriate and when we have more FACTS/certainties to deal with. In the meantime it's merely a projection of things assumed, and hence too early.

To be discussed?  Never.

And as I've said, all I've projected is the OL numbers, which cannot be argued against.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Wildhog on September 04, 2015, 10:11:29 am
The thread took a turn to the OL before I brought it up.
Well I really don't care who brought up the OL situation (a whole separate issue). I merely stated I obviously haven't even considered such as it was never a part of the original subject of the thread. I've tried to stay on track with the initial subject matter.

Wildhog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 04, 2015, 10:17:35 am
Well I really don't care who brought up the OL situation (a whole separate issue). I merely stated I obviously haven't even considered such as it was never a part of the original subject of the thread. I've tried to stay on track with the initial subject matter.

I just read threads and respond accordingly.  It really seems to have you jammed up, though.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Wildhog on September 04, 2015, 10:19:20 am
I just read threads and respond accordingly.  It really seems to have you jammed up, though.
Not at all. However, what has me "jammed up" (your words, not mine) is that you bring up issues having to do with the offensive side of the ball when I never even mentioned such. I suspect under similar circumstances most anyone would have an objection. I suggest you go back and look at the headlines of this thread; I also recommend you check my responses to see who's stuck with the whole issue originally opined. Case closed.....go argue with a door.

Pork Twain