Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yes, I know this is a Razorback board, but if you follow the UCA Bears...

Started by Doug, September 03, 2015, 07:19:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

You might want to either follow me on Twitter or keep an eye on my Twitter feed tonight. In less than 8 hours, I'll be in Birmingham, AL to cover the Samford Bulldogs vs UCA Bears game, on field.

I'm working to get permission to do a few Periscopes, as well. :)

Game time is at 6 PM and will be on ESPN3. I should be easy to spot (TCR t-shirt)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Jackrabbit Hog

My alma mater.  Memories of Randy Huffstickler, Ronnie Mallett and Vaughn Edwards tearing up the old AIC. 

Don't screw the pooch, Doug.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Dropkick

JoeyCapital

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 03, 2015, 07:39:49 am
My alma mater.  Memories of Randy Huffstickler, Ronnie Mallett and Vaughn Edwards tearing up the old AIC. 

Don't screw the pooch, Doug.
Don't screw the bear mascot, either.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

MissippHog

Quote from: Doug on September 03, 2015, 07:19:51 am
You might want to either follow me on Twitter or keep an eye on my Twitter feed tonight. In less than 8 hours, I'll be in Birmingham, AL to cover the Samford Bulldogs vs UCA Bears game, on field.

Game time is at 6 PM and will be on ESPN3. I should be easy to spot (TCR t-shirt)
Say "Hi" to GoHogs1091 for us!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Sir Oinksalot

The Bear covering the Bears !!  This was just bound to happen.  GOOD LUCK

and Go Bears...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

hogfan14

Doug

Quote from: golf2dayDon't screw the bear mascot, either.
Okay, I laughed. Hard. Well played, Golfsters. :)
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

BPsTheMan

I played against those purple Bears three times

I hate them  >:(

okay I don't hate them anymore  :D

GoHogs1091

Going to be interesting to see this season if any opposing team is going to be able to block UCA's All-American DE, Jonathan Woodard.  Woodard is 6'6" 280 lbs.  Woodard had 18.5 Tackles for a Loss last season, and 10 Sacks.

Also, UCA is starting 4 Seniors on their Offensive Line, the only non-Senior starter being Left Guard Stockton Mallett, who is related to Ryan.

Hog Fan from Camden

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hogfan14 on September 03, 2015, 10:39:06 am
Samford is going to be tough. Looking forward to it though

Their new Head Coach is Chris Hatcher, who is known for utilizing a fast paced Offense.

It will be good preparation for UCA for their trip next week to Stillwater, OK to face Oklahoma State.

PonderinHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 03, 2015, 11:20:24 am
Their new Head Coach is Chris Hatcher, who is known for utilizing a fast paced Offense.

It will be good preparation for UCA for their trip next week to Stillwater, OK to face Oklahoma State.

oldbear

Thanks for letting us know. From one Bear to another! I left a lot of sweat at Estes Stadium.

PonderinHog

Quote from: oldbear on September 03, 2015, 11:27:55 am
Thanks for letting us know. From one Bear to another! I left a lot of sweat at Estes Stadium.
I always wanted paint one of these in front of that Estes Stadium sign.

T

No offense.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 03, 2015, 11:22:32 am

Here is Samford's Chris Hatcher's recent comments about UCA.

"They're a really physical team," Hatcher said.  "They have a great coach (Steve Campbell) over there.  They'll be physical.  They'll take a lot of gambles defensively, and they're really good in the kicking game.  They're a complete team, and I've said it from day one, they'll be one of the best teams we play all season, hands down."

HOGGISHABOUTAR

Go Bears! UCA season ticket holder here, and looking forward to tonight! Samford will be tough at home, but the Bears wont bow down. Looking forward to seeing what they can do with Okie light.

oldbear

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 03, 2015, 11:31:00 am
I always wanted paint one of these in front of that Estes Stadium sign.

T

No offense.

You could have done that and we would have just pointed quietly at the scoreboard. Just sayin'! I did love playing at tech though because after the game we always got two jumbo whattaburgers and a large order of fries! Great trip.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Shusky01

Also a UCA/Camden alum from 1990, but from the Fairview side of Camden.  As bad as my High School team was my HS senior year, I still enjoy telling people up here in Joplin that in my 4 years at UCA we lost 1 regular season game and that we used to regularly hand Pitt St (the local BA their butts in the pre-AIC conference schedule).  Scott Williams at QB, Willie Davis at WR and a BA D, along with Harold Horton as the Coach were awesome.  Love my Bears (and always a Hogs fan).  Go Bears?  Go Hogs!  Go Doug!

HOGGISHABOUTAR

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 03, 2015, 12:50:54 pm
I didn't realize UCA had started a women's soccer team.
Yep, I believe they offer everything now except swimming. The track and field at UCA is pretty sweet, and soccer is there also, nothing like on the hill, but nice nonetheless.  Pretty sure they offer more than even AR State, heck ASU doesn't even have a womens softball team unless they have added one recently.

PonderinHog

Quote from: oldbear on September 03, 2015, 12:07:25 pm
You could have done that and we would have just pointed quietly at the scoreboard. Just sayin'! I did love playing at tech though because after the game we always got two jumbo whattaburgers and a large order of fries! Great trip.
There was a time, though.  Prior to '72.

Virgil

It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

NuttinItUp

ImHogginIt

Not looking to good right now. That big defensive end has been a non factor so far

oldbear

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 03, 2015, 02:01:20 pm
There was a time, though.  Prior to '72.

Tech is a great place. No disrespect for it here. If it hadn't of been for Coach Horton and Coach Keopple calling that's where I would have been. At the time, 1983, you could just tell something special was being built. Kind of like Fayetteville now.

Also whoever mentioned Scott and Willie brought up some great people. Willie was a freshman and Scott was a new transfer when I was a senior. I remember Willie running his first 40. Incredible.

Mr. Porkleone

hogfan14

Quote from: Doug on September 03, 2015, 07:19:51 am

Maybe you should apply to be their DC while you're there

GoHogs1091

A weird game.  UCA had 462 yards on Offense, but only scored 16 points.

183 penalty yards didn't help UCA's cause.

UCA just seemed to be out-of-sync, but it doesn't bode well for upcoming opponents that UCA was out-of-sync and still gained 462 yards.

hamsam

"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

HawgLife4Eva

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hogfan14 on September 03, 2015, 10:29:53 pm
Maybe you should apply to be their DC while you're there

Campbell will eventually get their Secondary fixed.

Their Secondary play has been a festering/lingering problem just like Coach Bielema has been dealing with a festering/lingering Special Teams problem at the UofA.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 03, 2015, 11:04:04 pm
A weird game.  UCA had 462 yards on Offense, but only scored 16 points.

183 penalty yards didn't help UCA's cause.

UCA just seemed to be out-of-sync, but it doesn't bode well for upcoming opponents that UCA was out-of-sync and still gained 462 yards.
Sounds like they are poorly coached

1highhog

Ragnar Hogbrok

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Seminole Indian

Lots of new players at UCA and it takes time, and they should improve as the year progresses.

They appear to have some talented players, but still not sure they are where they need to be this year as far as depth.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Doug

45 - 16, Samford.

It was close... for about half of the first quarter. And yep, UCA's penalties killed 'em.

Brandon Cox had some really nice receptions last night... he's a friggin' work horse.

I had lots of fun last night. I don't know how many pics my assistant took, but I know that I've got over 1500 pics and videos (including four live Periscopes).

Was great catching up with one of my friends (DL coach for Samford) and Brandon Cox.

Lanny, I also introduced myself to Steve East, and made reference to you, haha!
--Doug

1highhog

Quote from: The Chief on September 04, 2015, 05:51:10 am
Clint Conque when he got another job.

/rimshot

Seems like so far UCA is missing Clint Conque.  Whether you liked him or couldn't stand him, he got da bears to a good overall record.

GoHogs1091

UCA won against Conque last season.  UCA should be able to beat Conque's SFA team again this season.

There are some positives that UCA can take from last night's game.

10 different Receivers caught at least 1 pass.  1 of the 10 different Receivers caught 11 passes.

UCA was out-of-sync, but still gained 462 yards on Offense.  It means when UCA is not out-of-sync, there is a good possibility that around 550 yards to 600 yards of Offense can be generated by UCA.

The run game did better than it has in the past.

The field goal kicking was good, and with the exception of the 1 shorter punt towards the end of the game, the punting was very good.

Playing Samford on the road (and also playing Oklahoma State on the road) will really help UCA prepare for Conference play.  It is a lot better than playing 3 non-conference pasties at home in regards to getting prepared for Conference play.

Negatives that need to be worked on and fixed.

Secondary play.  There was though 2 new Secondary players playing, and even though they are talented, prior playing experience in the Secondary is critical.  Also, UCA probably needs to work on some new Secondary coverages instead of primarily using a base coverage.  Adding in new coverages should help to confuse an opposing QB.

Penalties need to be eliminated.  Very surprising that occurred.  During their Spring Game there weren't very many penalties.

The Offensive Line needs to do a better job against blitzing.

Seminole Indian

There were probably real tangible reasons that UCA was picked 5th or 6th in the SLC, and that UCA  'fans' did not by into these predictions, and are disappointed in last nights results is to be expected. That is what fans do.

Fact is Stanford Samford was favored in that game, and it appeared that  the penalties were a major reason the score got out of hand, and that should improve as the year goes along.

Painful yes, but it normally takes time after a coaching change for a new staff to get their program up and going.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne