Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UTEP matchup comments

Started by Biggus Piggus, September 02, 2015, 01:12:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

How tall is Mack Leftwich? The sophomore from Pennsylvania, starting at quarterback for UTEP, is listed at 5 feet, 10 inches tall. Is that a tall 5-10? Even if - Arkansas's defensive ends might be seven inches taller. Better run.

Interesting - Leftwich redshirted last year. He was supposed to redshirt in 2013 but was activated for the last four games to be the emergency starter at QB. His dad coaches the Oline at UTEP.

Senior receiver Autrey Golden (5-11, 180) is the Miners' speed burner. He returned two kickoffs for touchdowns last season, six in his career, one short of the NCAA record. Arkansas gave up a TD return to UTEP in 2010. Speed did not translate to big plays - averaged 8.5 yards per catch in 2014.

Junior tailback Aaron Jones (5-10, 205) supposedly put on 20 pounds in the offseason. Bigger, faster, that's what they say.

It is Wednesday of game week, and the UTEP SID still has not noticed that the depth chart he published has the same two players listed at both defensive end positions. Apparently, Nick Usher is going to start at left and right end. (Actually, the other starting end is 6-7, 255-pound Roy Robertson-Harris.)

UTEP plays a 4-2-5 defense. The top two players at one corner and at the third safety position are freshmen. Two redshirts, two first-year players. Yup. That's gonna work.
[CENSORED]!

Yamahog

UTEP Coach Sean Kugler, in his Arkansas game press conference, alluded to the fact that Mack Leftwitch WISHES he was 5-10. Of course in CF, lack of height doesn't mean you can't cause a defense some serious problems. We shall soon see.

scruf

Here's why the game will be over after three possessions (height rounded up to the nearest 1/2 inch):

UTEP's starting OL: 6'3", 313 lbs.
UA's starting DL: 6'3, 293 lbs.
Height difference per player: None
Weight difference per player: 20lbs. (UTEP's favor)

UA's starting OL: 6'6", 328 lbs.
UTEP's starting DL: 6'3", 268 lbs.
Height difference per player: 3" (UA's favor)
Weight difference per player: 60 lbs. (UA's favor)

UTEP is going into the hurt locker.

MissippHog

Here are their predictions for the game:
http://kyyotesden.com/Den/index.php/topic,1721.0.html

The average score of their predictions are UA 38 and UTEP 22.  Most of them think we will win (only 3 out of 20 called for an upset) but many think they will move the ball on us. 

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

razorbacker3

UTEP will have less than 200 total yards in the 56-10 hog win.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: scruf on September 03, 2015, 05:17:17 am
Here's why the game will be over after three possessions (height rounded up to the nearest 1/2 inch):

UTEP's starting OL: 6'3", 313 lbs.
UA's starting DL: 6'3, 293 lbs.
Height difference per player: None
Weight difference per player: 20lbs. (UTEP's favor)

UA's starting OL: 6'6", 328 lbs.
UTEP's starting DL: 6'3", 268 lbs.
Height difference per player: 3" (UA's favor)
Weight difference per player: 60 lbs. (UA's favor)

UTEP is going into the hurt locker.

Size comparisons for Dline matter most at the tackles. DeMarcus Hodge said he was going to play at 327 pounds this season (listed at 340). Taiwan Johnson is 290, and others in the middle are over 300.

Still, the scales do not tell how good a defensive line is. Remember people scoffing at Rutgers's small defensive line in 2012?
[CENSORED]!

DeltaBoy

2012 is an aberration due to having SMILE at the helm.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OnYourToes

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 02, 2015, 01:12:14 pm

UTEP plays a 4-2-5 defense. The top two players at one corner and at the third safety position are freshmen. Two redshirts, two first-year players. Yup. That's gonna work.

/drool/

This makes me VERY excited for our Offense.
They will have to put more than 6 people in the box after the first few plays.  Our Oline will move them and Alex and or Kody will get through the first level and be shocked to find open, green grass.  Add 1 of our TEs to a side and now you have 6 blocking 6.  Add a FB to be first through the hole, then you have an extra blocker for a SS, CB, or extra LBer that comes in to fill the gap.  Hat on a hat football works in our favor!  This will be a great advantage to us.

On the other side of the coin, we will have to play disciplined D; fill the gaps, get to your assignment.  I could see us over pursuing and missing a tackle or 2.  UTEP runs the ball very well, we will have to shed blockers and get to the football.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SATURDAY!    :razorback:
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

010HogFan

That guy playing both ends must be some sort of freak of nature. Hope our guys are ready for that.

HogShat

Quote from: 010HogFan on September 03, 2015, 10:37:26 am
That guy playing both ends must be some sort of freak of nature. Hope our guys are ready for that.

Shapeshifter....

razorbackkid

We may end up with 500 yards rushing.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

GuvHog

Quote from: razorbackkid on September 03, 2015, 10:53:17 am
We may end up with 500 yards rushing.

Let's hope we don't because the passing game needs some work too.

300 rushing and 200 passing is more like it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Biggus Piggus

Please help me with my math.

On one media site, they said Arkansas was a 33-point favorite with an over/under at 50.

A 40-7 score would be well under the 50-point bogey. And 42-7 would cover the spread but still be under.

The Hogs could exactly cover with a 42-9 score while also hitting the over.

Am I looking at this right?
[CENSORED]!

Demaghog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 03, 2015, 03:32:03 pm
Please help me with my math.

On one media site, they said Arkansas was a 33-point favorite with an over/under at 50.

A 40-7 score would be well under the 50-point bogey. And 42-7 would cover the spread but still be under.

The Hogs could exactly cover with a 42-9 score while also hitting the over.

Am I looking at this right?

The equation for this is (with x being the number of points Arkansas scores):
x + x - 33 = 50
... algebra ...
which is: (50 + 33) / 2 = x
x = 41.5

So your numbers look right.

DadVader1

It sounds almost like they think the wagering public will expect the game to come out around 42-7 or 42-10.  At 42-7 we cover and go under, & at 42-10 we don't cover and go over.

OnYourToes

Quote from: DadVader1 on September 03, 2015, 03:39:25 pm
It sounds almost like they think the wagering public will expect the game to come out around 42-7 or 42-10.  At 42-7 we cover and go under, & at 42-10 we don't cover and go over.

My betting side says
Cover
Under
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

ChauvinistPig

Quote from: Demaghog on September 03, 2015, 03:37:36 pm
The equation for this is (with x being the number of points Arkansas scores):
x + x - 33 = 50
... algebra ...
which is: (50 + 33) / 2 = x
x = 41.5

So your numbers look right.

Oh cool, a math guru! I've been struggling with an equation for years...what is the circumference of Uranus?

PonderinHog

Quote from: ChauvinistPig on September 03, 2015, 11:29:50 pm
Oh cool, a math guru! I've been struggling with an equation for years...what is the circumference of Uranus?
Pi times radiass squared.

earshot

jjdlc

UTEP has a pretty solid running back.  We should at least get a decent look at how good our run D is.  If our O-Line dominates their D-Line like I think they will, it'll be a long day for the Miners.

PonderinHog

The Miners can expect some Major Pain!   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 04, 2015, 08:05:09 am
The Miners can expect some Major Pain!   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Good lard I love that Movie.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jet Sweep Hog

Quote from: ChauvinistPig on September 03, 2015, 11:29:50 pm
[/quote

Math
It's a well known fact that 5 out of 4 people struggle with fractions.
The role of government is protecting natural rights, not bestowing them.

" ... to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
-- George Mason

LSPRazorbac

jgphillips3

I think they'll play inspired against us for a quarter and we'll be knocking off some rust.  The beat down will have begun by the end of the 2nd quarter though.