Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs issues with FG kicking

Started by DeltaBoy, September 01, 2015, 01:36:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

smb

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on September 01, 2015, 11:35:31 pm
Hocker is a tough act to follow.

Let's get the season going before we declare there is an 'issue' with our kicking game in '15...it's a new year.

I think the kickers and coach's have worked on this, and we'll be respectable, as McFain ended '14 OK and if he's beat out we'll be even more solid.

" GO HOGS "
This! He was a good one.
GeorgiaHOG

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: plucknstrum on September 01, 2015, 10:41:18 pm
Let's not forget Steve Cox.  Great Hog career and pro career, plus he kicked and punted in college and the NFL.

Yea Cox would rank if he hadn't went to Tulsa because we already had Little.  I can't remember now, did Cox play two years or three?

hawg66

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 02, 2015, 08:49:47 am
Yea Cox would rank if he hadn't went to Tulsa because we already had Little.  I can't remember now, did Cox play two years or three?

Cox played two years at Arkansas, All-SWC both years, All-American as a Senior, 

DeltaBoy

I hope we get another Cox or Trainor out of this new group. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HBTHogs

I hope Hedlund can be good because it could easily be argued that with a good kicker last year we beat A&M, Bama, Miss St., and Mizzou.  We missed easy kicks in several of those games and went for it on fourth down inside the 20 and failed twice against Bama (that I can remember) because thirty yard FG's seemed to be our limit.  If we win those games we are 10-2 and with the tiebreaker over Bama we are West Champs.  I'm not saying it would've gone down that way, just that most people don't realize we were that close and the kicking game really can make that much of a difference.  With that said, we pinned opponents deep with great punting last year too, that will have to be replaced this season.

Hawgzinbowlz

September 02, 2015, 01:12:56 pm #55 Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:25:00 pm by Hawgzinbowlz
Quote from: jkstock04 on September 02, 2015, 12:04:11 am
Cost us at least one game last season. Typical that most would think it asanine to question the kicking game after last season.

It did cost us one game last year (and probably more than one) and McFain ended '14 better than he started the season.

It's not asanine asinine to question the kicking game after last season but it's a little premature to say that in '15 the kicking game will be an issue.

" GO HOGS "

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on September 02, 2015, 01:12:56 pm
It did cost us one game last year (and probably more than one) and McFain ended '14 better than he started the season.

It's not asanine asinine to question the kicking game after last season but it's a little premature to say that in '15 the kicking game will be an issue.

" GO HOGS "

I disagree, it an issue until we know it's not an issue.  No differant than LBer depth, passing game etc...

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 02, 2015, 01:39:22 pm
I disagree, it an issue until we know it's not an issue.  No differant than LBer depth, passing game etc...

I disagree. :)

" GO HOGS "

smb

Quote from: HBTHogs on September 02, 2015, 12:09:00 pm
I hope Hedlund can be good because it could easily be argued that with a good kicker last year we beat A&M, Bama, Miss St., and Mizzou.  We missed easy kicks in several of those games and went for it on fourth down inside the 20 and failed twice against Bama (that I can remember) because thirty yard FG's seemed to be our limit.  If we win those games we are 10-2 and with the tiebreaker over Bama we are West Champs.  I'm not saying it would've gone down that way, just that most people don't realize we were that close and the kicking game really can make that much of a difference.  With that said, we pinned opponents deep with great punting last year too, that will have to be replaced this season.
This is exactly why we cannot have issues in the kicking game.
GeorgiaHOG

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 01, 2015, 05:06:48 pm
Actually, Mike Kirkland was the kicker before Little. McClard was before Kirkland. Bob White before McClard. Ronnie South before White. Tom McKnelly before South.

Did I leave anyone out?

Played a lot of golf Bob back in the 80's and 90's, he's a solid stick and could move it out there pretty good for a man his age. 

Hoggish1

Quote from: sowmonella on September 01, 2015, 02:07:56 pm
We will be just fine on FG's.  McFain was 70% last year. FYI Ordonez was 71% career and Little was under 60%. Cole will be great this year.

and, I have to hand it to CBB because we now have Cole for four years, when it will matter most.

redeye

Quote from: ricepig on September 01, 2015, 02:55:31 pm
You didn't know who Bill McClard was?

I know who he is, but only because he was my neighbor.

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 02, 2015, 11:30:44 am
I hope we get another Cox or Trainor out of this new group.

How many consecutive field goals was it that Trainor hit?  Didn't he go a whole season only missing one, or no, field goals?

elksnort

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 01, 2015, 03:59:21 pm
Mickey Cissell?
My understanding is that Mickey was a very good running back but the substitution rules prohibited his playing.

elksnort

Quote from: redeye on September 02, 2015, 05:50:33 pm
I know who he is, but only because he was my neighbor.

How many consecutive field goals was it that Trainor hit?  Didn't he go a whole season only missing one, or no, field goals?
he threw a shoe at half time 1988 vs Ole Miss

Music City Razorback

Quote from: Lake City Hog on September 01, 2015, 04:50:26 pm
With a FG kicker that was just a tad above average and we win a couple more games in 2014. Don't understand the jerkery to a thread that is pretty much true.

Rank   FG Attempts (Career)   Player   Year
1   89   Steve Little (made 53)   1974-77
2   79   Zach Hocker (made 61)   2010-13
2    79   Todd Wright (made 60)   1989-92
4   71   Todd Latourette (made 47)   1995-98
5   69   Kendall Trainor (made 51)   1985-88
6   62   Ish Ordonez (made 44)   1978-80
7   54   Alex Tejada (made 37)   2007-10
8   53   Greg Horne (made 29)   1983-84
9   46   Bill McClard (made 29)   1969-71
10   40   Chris Balseiro (made 28)   2002-05

Yeah, we have had some VERY good kickers over the years. I hope that Hedlund makes this list before he leaves.
#8 Greg Horne.  He may have made 29, but he probably missed 29 also.  Didn't he miss 3 in a single game against Texas?  I recall him being segregated to punting duties after that.
"Sure. I'm proud to be an American."
-Cincinnati Reds rookie pitcher Steve Foster, asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.

southeasthog

Quote from: Music City Razorback on September 02, 2015, 08:30:45 pm
#8 Greg Horne.  He may have made 29, but he probably missed 29 also.  Didn't he miss 3 in a single game against Texas?  I recall him being segregated to punting duties after that.
Attempted 53, made 29. This list is not really a "top kickers" list. It is the most attempted in a career which can be misleading.

MJ2

Good point on the kicking situation.    Since we haven't heard much about it this year, it probably is a concern.   We tend to focus on offense and defense, but all phases of special teams play can be a killer.    Just think how many games with AL we have lost due to some key kick return at a critical time of the game.