(479) 575-6534

jnail@uark.edu

Spirit Advisor
JBAR14
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Done, there is no Owww in Wooo.

Sed76

For the most part it's always been younger kids doing it but last year in Arlington at the pep rally I was in front of a group of middle aged guys howling. I asked why they did that and one of them said with a straight face that's the way it's always been done. Just shook my head and walked off.

TomBigBeeHog

Thanks OP for this awesome thread. Perked up a slow afternoon goof off session. Ahh wooo Pig!!!
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Hog N Bama

Agree. There is NO wolf howl in the Hog Call. It is wrong to include it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 01, 2015, 11:01:37 am
But if the howling is done by a minority of fans, wouldn't they be the uncommon ones?

Nah, they are just a minority that is incorrect about how it is done. They are incorrect because they are stupid and sadly being stupid is just about the most common thing you can be.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

DLUXHOG

Maybe they think our Razorback Hog is this \/......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

BroyledNutts

Quote from: 010HogFan on September 01, 2015, 09:44:21 am
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet. It's all the band's fault. They put out a CD of "official" tracks years ago and the very first track was the Hog Call...preceded by...you guessed it...the wolf howl. Took off from there.

This is the correct answer - my wife recalls that the Razorback Band (in which she was a member at the time) made a CD around 1989 or 1990 and it started after a long day, and recording the Hog Call about 2 dozen times to try to get the one they liked - Some band members, supposedly in the drum corps, were bored and decided to start having fun with it - and, as band geeks are, everyone jumped on board and was doing it soon after - why the people in charge of picking the track picked the awoo instead of a cleaner version we may never know....but here we are now.

It should be corrected on the first day of orientation every year, and on the jumbo-tron before every game.

The Razorback Band started this - they promulgate it - they should be held responsible to fix it.

rcopela

There's a special place in Haiti's for people who howl the Hog Call

KlubhouseKonnected

"That's how I was told to do it" is absolutely no excuse.

hobhog

Quote from: BadHog on September 01, 2015, 01:24:16 pm
Email Jean. She's in charge.

Jean Nail
Staff
Cheerleading & Pom Pon Squad
(479) 575-6534

jnail@uark.edu

Spirit Advisor
JBAR14
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701

agree. kill it at it's core........

PonderinHog

Quote from: rcopela on September 01, 2015, 03:54:30 pm
Haiti's?  Do they have a Howlin' Hog Call happy Hour there ???  Is it anywhere near Dante's ???

atekido

You can pretty much point them out at the stadium pretty easy.   If they are under say 26ish and wearing khaki shorts with a polo or dress shirt there is a 90% chance they are doing the wolf call.  That is just my observation.  I also know the band does it.  i sat behind them few years ago and they were doing wolf calls.  the cheerleaders also do it.  About as dumb as "throwing the A"  :puke:

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: SwazyHog on September 01, 2015, 09:13:36 am
http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2013/08/31/there-is-no-wolf-howl-in-the-hog-call/

Where in the world did this wolf howl hog call come from? I hear it more and more every season and can't stand it

Where in the world did this forward pass come from? I see it used more and more every season and can't stand it. Only three things come from using the forward pass and 2 of em are bad!!!!11!!

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 01, 2015, 03:18:28 pm
Maybe they think our Razorback Hog is this \/......
I would shat myself if I came across that in the deer woods.  Grown man, pooing himself.  Woo pig.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

hoginla

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet. It's all the band's fault. They put out a CD of "official" tracks years ago and the very first track was the Hog Call...preceded by...you guessed it...the wolf howl. Took off from there.

You know, you're right!  I have that CD - must be 20 years old and until you mentioned it I had forgotten that's where i first heard it.  Someone's going to have to infiltrate the band and get this fixed.
September 8, 2023 19 years w/Hogville!

devildog

HI Britt – I totally agree with you – we're not coyotes – we're Razorbacks.  The Hog Call is WOOOOOOOO not AWWOOOOOO!
GO HOGS
Jean

response from Jean Nail, sounds like she gets it.

BadHog

I emailed Jean Nail today. She promptly replied:

HI (Badhog) -  I assure you the spirit squads didn't change the HOG CALL – however, the fans did start the AWWOOOO several years ago and we don't like it either.  Just last Thursday evening at the Freshman Pep Rally we taught the HOG CALL to our incoming class and we're very definite about the fact that it's not AWWOOO -  it is (and always will be)  WOOOOOOO PIG SOOIEE!.

GO HOGS!

Jean Nail

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

SwazyHog

Quote from: BadHog on September 01, 2015, 05:22:35 pm

HI (Badhog) -  I assure you the spirit squads didn't change the HOG CALL – however, the fans did start the AWWOOOO several years ago and we don't like it either.  Just last Thursday evening at the Freshman Pep Rally we taught the HOG CALL to our incoming class and we're very definite about the fact that it's not AWWOOO -  it is (and always will be)  WOOOOOOO PIG SOOIEE!.

GO HOGS!

Jean Nail
This does make me feel better, at least I know they're making an effort.
"I felt like I owed it to the state. They let me come in and transfer here to Arkansas, and I felt like it wouldn't be fair after one year to just up and leave."

"This is your Public Service Announcement  for 2010: Remember, No One's Buckass Snitshit Crazier Than Arkansas Fans."

SwazyHog

Quote from: rcopela on September 01, 2015, 03:54:30 pm
100% agree
"I felt like I owed it to the state. They let me come in and transfer here to Arkansas, and I felt like it wouldn't be fair after one year to just up and leave."

"This is your Public Service Announcement  for 2010: Remember, No One's Buckass Snitshit Crazier Than Arkansas Fans."

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hawganatic on September 01, 2015, 09:23:38 am
Yup, this has been talked about, re-hashed, dissected, scrutiinized, to the point that the horse has been beaten, skinned, and meat roasted over an open flame.

But I wouldn't know the season is about to start if this subject didn't come up every year.   ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 01, 2015, 09:26:34 am
move all games from LR, that's where the wolf howl started!!

PP

Did you hear it at a game in LR?    ;)

HateUsAintUs

How about we all just call the hogs the way we want to and how we were TAUGHT as FRESHMEN at ARKANSAS WHOOOOOOOOO PIGGGG SOOOOOIE

reddogjcss

This discussion is like the LR game the ARK/ Ark St game. Beaten every year with no resolution

pigbacon

Started early in the HDN era best I can recall...so he is to blame.

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

duckman

duckman

Quote from: devildog on September 01, 2015, 02:17:11 pm
Done, there is no Owww in Wooo.

Well I guess that would depend on your date....

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Laughing Hog on September 01, 2015, 09:53:07 am
The only wolves in the state that I know of are located east. There is no howling in the hog call. It needs to be 're-edunatcated' back to the original. For those that are doing it............. just stop!

I say we established a "Re-education Camp" at WMS.

You can graduate, and get out, when you can do the ORIGINAL HOG CALL!

Once 10000 fans have been "re-educated" then LR can have a game. When 50000 fans are yelling the original call, then and only then, will a SEC game will be allowed back in LR.

kill two birds with one stone!   
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

redeye

I know many don't think it makes any difference, but they've probably never heard the hog call done right.  What was once very intimidating, has become comical, except that it's not funny.

I'm not sure he's right about Bielema's name, though.  I know it's been pointed out that the correct pronunciation is BEE-luh-muh, but Wisconsin people pronounced it the same way most of us do (e.g. BEE-lee-muh).  At least that was the opinion of at least one Wisconsin writer who followed the Badgers.

kaptainkory

Quote from: HateUsAintUs on September 01, 2015, 07:02:29 pm
How about we all just call the hogs the way we want to and how we were TAUGHT as FRESHMEN at ARKANSAS WHOOOOOOOOO PIGGGG SOOOOOIE

Uh, NO, but nice try.  You are the worst kind...you obviously know from this thread what is correct and still CHOOSE to mock the tradition.  Suck it up and do it right.

kaptainkory

Stupid thing sounds like people ripping band-aids off their hairy butts before sliding into the real Hog Call.

Laughing Hog

Quote from: BadHog on September 01, 2015, 05:22:35 pm

GO HOGS!

Jean Nail

Now you should suggest to her that they actually hold up signs at the games saying such till the 'crowd' gets it.

If that doesn't work, the rest of the crowd should just start throwing things (no whiskey bottles though) at those that feel the need to howl.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Laughing Hog

Quote from: tusksincolorado on September 01, 2015, 10:12:05 pm
I say we established a "Re-education Camp" at WMS.

You can graduate, and get out, when you can do the ORIGINAL HOG CALL!

Once 10000 fans have been "re-educated" then LR can have a game. When 50000 fans are yelling the original call, then and only then, will a SEC game will be allowed back in LR.

kill two birds with one stone!   

I'm sure we could just borrow one of the government's FEMA camps. They have plenty located "just outside a town near you!"
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

98hogs

Quote from: Karma on September 01, 2015, 09:15:44 am
I've heard the cheerleaders doing it. I think that's how they teach it now, though I agree that it's not right.
Someone needs to contact Jean Nail and ask her what the hell she is teaching them then,

HogNdazs

If you are in the student section after drinking like I was years ago, it just makes sense.  Can't say i'm a big fan of it now though.

jcharkansas

This is accurate, I had the cd at one time and that is exactly how they did it. I thought to myself wow I guess I have been doing it wrong l these years then.....

Michael D Huff AIA

The smoking gun...  I remember hearing that for the first time and thinking "that's not right.  We don't do that."

Cinco de Hogo

I've heard of this and read threads about it but can't say as I've ever noticed the difference at a game.

But then I'm half deaf anyway.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hawg66

Never mind this  -  bring back the slobbering Hog

Tyro3

HI Gene – we totally agree on this – the howling (we're not coyotes) is very annoying and has been going on for several years.  I assure you it's not (nor ever has been) the cheerleaders doing it.  Every year when we have our Freshman Pep Rally (just had one last Thursday night) we explain to the incoming freshman about our hog call and how to do it – that is WOOOOO not AAWOOOO.   I honestly don't know exactly where the AAWOOO version came from but I know it's not the spirit squads.   We will continue to work with the students and fans and hopefully the AAWOOOO will be gone one day soon!

Thank you for your years of support for the Razorbacks and for taking time to express your concerns.

GO HOGS

Jean Nail

Received this answer to my email to Ms. Nail, they seem to be trying to correct the problem.

BudweiserHog

I can tell you right now this comes from the influx of Texas kids at the UofA. It is most common in the student section and it got bigger every year under Petrino

wholehog92

QuoteAnd brides-to-be, take note. There are to be no weddings on Razorback game weekends.

FWIW, this is not accurate.  Should read during football season if you actually give a crap about your hogfan you are marrying.  The lone exception is if you do not mind spending your anniversary at the games.  Bye week isn't the same every year.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

TrueBlue

Ozzy Osbourne had the Hog Call on one of his vinyl records.

However, when you spun it backwards it went "ooooooowww" and it has stuck ever since.

I consider it the Satanic version of the Hog Call.

Cinco de Hogo

You guys do know that with the natural predisposition of kids to do anything and everything to irate adults that any effort to teach them the right Hog call or turn them in the right direction will be meet with complete defiance. 

So maybe we should just outlaw the woooie and make the aawoooie the official call.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 02, 2015, 01:10:22 pm
You guys do know that with the natural predisposition of kids to do anything and everything to irate adults that any effort to teach them the right Hog call or turn them in the right direction will be meet with complete defiance. 

So maybe we should just outlaw the woooie and make the aawoooie the official call.

Can't anything be resolved with good ole fashioned violence anymore?

micali

Quote from: Fake Jeff Long on September 01, 2015, 11:20:58 am
Aaaooo  aaaoooo aoooooooooo Pig Sooooooieee! Can't wait for Saturday!

FJL
You sir should be banned!

rotaryDial

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 01, 2015, 09:37:56 am
another holdover from the Petrino era

The first time I heard the howl in the hog call was the '00-'01 season.  My roommate was a trumpet in the band, he and the rest of the brass section were doing it.  If I had any brass of my own back then I should have beat him with his own trumpet.

HogPharmer

While we're at it, let's talk about the LR games and "the best place to watch the game in [insert random city name here]...."
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on September 02, 2015, 01:41:55 pm
Can't anything be resolved with good ole fashioned violence anymore?

That would be the correct solution, except it would come with jail time.