Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

There is no wolf howl in the Hog Call

Started by SwazyHog, September 01, 2015, 09:13:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Atownhog

I can pitch in on this, I work for the university in the New Student and Family Programs department. We run the Freshman orientation programs and ROCK camp. One of our biggest points of emphasis is that you just call the hogs with "woooooo". A lot of the wolf noise crap comes from the Greek life in the student section.

Misty Mountain Hog

Add me to the "I hate the wolf howl hog call" clan.

hoginla

My reply from Jean:

Good morning – I assure you the spirit squads don't do it or like it when the crowd does the AAWWOOOO – we're Razorbacks not coyotes – last week at our Freshman pep Rally (where we teach the traditional cheers to incoming students) we always talk about not doing AAWWOOO and only doing WOOOOO.  Anytime we are asked to teach the hog call we reinterate the WOOOOO only.   As a fan please help us out when you hear someone in the stands doing it that way.  Thanks for your support of the Razorbacks.
GO HOGS
Jean Nail
September 8, 2023 19 years w/Hogville!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 01, 2015, 04:30:17 pm
Haiti's?  Do they have a Howlin' Hog Call happy Hour there ???  Is it anywhere near Dante's ???
I see what you did there. +1
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

BadHog

Quote from: hoginla on September 02, 2015, 09:03:10 pm
My reply from Jean:

Good morning – I assure you the spirit squads don't do it or like it when the crowd does the AAWWOOOO – we're Razorbacks not coyotes – last week at our Freshman pep Rally (where we teach the traditional cheers to incoming students) we always talk about not doing AAWWOOO and only doing WOOOOO.  Anytime we are asked to teach the hog call we reinterate the WOOOOO only.   As a fan please help us out when you hear someone in the stands doing it that way.  Thanks for your support of the Razorbacks.
GO HOGS
Jean Nail

Ok I feel bad. I blew up her email yesterday by putting it on Hogville!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 02, 2015, 06:05:58 pm
That would be the correct solution, except it would come with jail time.

Thanks Obama...
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: BadHog on September 02, 2015, 10:14:17 pm
Ok I feel bad. I blew up her email yesterday by putting it on Hogville!

I kind of felt bad for her too as I read these.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

010HogFan

Quote from: Atownhog on September 02, 2015, 08:28:23 pm
A lot of the wolf noise crap comes from the Greek life in the student section.

This was my observation as well.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 01, 2015, 09:26:34 am
move all games from LR, that's where the wolf howl started!!

PP
Either that or have us wear white helmets and black jerseys in the LR games for the wolfhog call
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Atownhog on September 02, 2015, 08:28:23 pm
I can pitch in on this, I work for the university in the New Student and Family Programs department. We run the Freshman orientation programs and ROCK camp. One of our biggest points of emphasis is that you just call the hogs with "woooooo". A lot of the wolf noise crap comes from the Greek life in the student section.

If true then BAN greeks from attending!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

razorcash2

Quote from: BudweiserHog on September 02, 2015, 12:31:01 pm
I can tell you right now this comes from the influx of Texas kids at the UofA. It is most common in the student section and it got bigger every year under Petrino
I knew it...It's Bobby's fault.

HogShat

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 01, 2015, 04:37:07 pm
Where in the world did this forward pass come from? I see it used more and more every season and can't stand it. Only three things come from using the forward pass and 2 of em are bad!!!!11!!

Dad? Didn't realize you were on here!!  ;)  J/k dude... But... That sounds exactly like my Pop!

RME

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 03, 2015, 10:27:13 am
If true then BAN greeks from attending!

Yeah, ban about 75% of the student section.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 03, 2015, 11:51:22 am

Lighten up Francis...................it was a joke.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NorCalRazorback

The last person that did a WPS call aournd me and had the overtone of a Wolf cry... well... they're still dead!
"...and Decori Birmingham has caught it in the back of the end zone to tie it at 20 all with 9 seconds left..." 

Miracle on Markham '02
Arkansas 21 LSU 20

BroyledNutts

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 03, 2015, 11:51:22 am

Of which 50% leave at halftime because there's lots of socializing to do.....You're [the students] the backbone of team support - who gets on camera most often? the students. You get in free. You go to class with the guys on the field, and some of you have friendships with them...and you only get a few chances every year. Socializing and hooks ups can be done afterward - when there's plenty of time and things to talk about from the game.

Get your asses in the stadium, put them in your seats, cheer loudly for your fellow students and student athletes, and stay all 4 quarters. Do your hook ups and socializing afterward. Or why bother coming at all.

One last thing - honor those who established the University you attend and the traditions that have been passed from one class to another for over a hundred years - do the Hog Call correctly.

WOOO Pig Sooie.

PorkRinds

I like the added touch of the howl at the beginning. 

RME

Quote from: BroyledNutts on September 03, 2015, 02:56:25 pm
Of which 50% leave at halftime because there's lots of socializing to do.....You're [the students] the backbone of team support - who gets on camera most often? the students. You get in free. You go to class with the guys on the field, and some of you have friendships with them...and you only get a few chances every year. Socializing and hooks ups can be done afterward - when there's plenty of time and things to talk about from the game.

Get your asses in the stadium, put them in your seats, cheer loudly for your fellow students and student athletes, and stay all 4 quarters. Do your hook ups and socializing afterward. Or why bother coming at all.

One last thing - honor those who established the University you attend and the traditions that have been passed from one class to another for over a hundred years - do the Hog Call correctly.

WOOO Pig Sooie.

Your argument is fleeting.

Aaaaand students don't get in free.

Is your soapbox slippery enough yet?

Here's the dichotomy  I don't understand: Scenario 1: An athlete at a school makes headlines for all the wrong reasons, yet is covered by "Oh he's just a kid, he's just a college kid, he's in college now just experiencing it all, let him be, they all make mistakes."

Scenario 2: "You damn non-student athletes had better stay the whole time, your socializing and everything can wait because by God FOOTBALL'S BEIN' PLAYED. Forget your college experience!!!!!!!!"

Listen, there's a way to do it all. I've been going to Razorbacks games with my dad for as long as I can remember in my Madre Hill jersey. I also graduated from Arkansas this May. College kids are college kids. Let us be. My closest friends and I are some of the biggest Razorbacks fans I know. We don't need to be told by a keyboard warrior how to act at football games and how "important" we are to the team.

Now that I'm done, yes, the wolf howling annoys the piss out of me.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BroyledNutts on September 03, 2015, 02:56:25 pm

WOOO Pig Sooie.

Amen. When I was student I NEVER left early. Also I [paid for tickets but at a student discount. And I've always done the Hog call correctly.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 03, 2015, 03:11:56 pm

Then go to Jonesboro and do a wolf howl all you desire. I'll be at the HOG game cheering for my Alma Mater and it's team whose mascot has nothing to do with wolves........................

varrichione

The one who started it was Arkansas alum John Ferguson in the early 80s.

Uncommon

I think it has to do with students having to get to the game earlier than others to get good seats.  Non students spend only 3 hours and 15-30 minutes at the stadium for a game.  You can almost tack on an extra 30 to 60 minutes for students.  You can only spend so much time in the stadium before you just have to get out of there.  Especially if it's out of hand.

I don't mind students leaving early if the score is out of hand (28 points or more lead/deficit) because I'm not a hypocrite.  Examples from this past season were the Nicholls State, Northern Illinois, Georgia, UAB, and Ole Miss games.  I do it just because I can get back to my tailgate (where my food and drink is) and watch the other games that I'm interested in seeing.  For instance, if we have the game in hand with a large lead Saturday, I'll go back to my tailgate and watch the Louisville/Auburn game.  Only get 13 of these weekends and I'm going to use them to the best of my ability.

Torqued pork

We should revere the Hog Call every bit as much as A&M reveres the 12th Man and tOSU reveres Script Ohio. If doing it as it was intended is too much for you then don't do it at all.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 03, 2015, 04:08:26 pm
Then go to Jonesboro and do a wolf howl all you desire. I'll be at the HOG game cheering for my Alma Mater and it's team whose mascot has nothing to do with wolves........................

I dunno. Something about it appeals to me. Aaaaaawooooooooo piiiig!

PonderinHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 03, 2015, 10:29:23 pm
I dunno. Something about it appeals to me. Aaaaaawooooooooo piiiig!
Warren Zevon is firmly in your camp.

Justagp

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 03, 2015, 10:32:46 pm
Warren Zevon is firmly in your camp.
Lol - actually had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Zevon in my younger days - brilliant man and would never have added the wolf call to the hog call  ;)

Tyro3

[/quote

I am assuming you are joking! or you are not a Hog fan.]

PorkRinds

Quote from: Tyro3 on September 04, 2015, 10:54:56 am
[/quote

I am assuming you are joking! or you are not a Hog fan.]

Who aaaaaaaaaaaaareyouuuuuuuuu to question my fandom?  ;)

hoghearted

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 01, 2015, 09:37:56 am
another holdover from the Petrino era

Was happening as far back as 1998. One of the few things he wasn't responsible for.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

buldozer

Pigsknuckles

A couple yoots perpetrate this abomination intentionally behind me at every home game because they know it pushes my buttons. I may need a good criminal attorney before seasons end.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: hoghearted on September 04, 2015, 05:39:46 pm
Was happening as far back as 1998. One of the few things he wasn't responsible for.

Well before that.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 03, 2015, 04:01:18 pm
Your argument is fleeting.

Aaaaand students don't get in free.

Is your soapbox slippery enough yet?

Here's the dichotomy  I don't understand: Scenario 1: An athlete at a school makes headlines for all the wrong reasons, yet is covered by "Oh he's just a kid, he's just a college kid, he's in college now just experiencing it all, let him be, they all make mistakes."

Scenario 2: "You damn non-student athletes had better stay the whole time, your socializing and everything can wait because by God FOOTBALL'S BEIN' PLAYED. Forget your college experience!!!!!!!!"

Listen, there's a way to do it all. I've been going to Razorbacks games with my dad for as long as I can remember in my Madre Hill jersey. I also graduated from Arkansas this May. College kids are college kids. Let us be. My closest friends and I are some of the biggest Razorbacks fans I know. We don't need to be told by a keyboard warrior how to act at football games and how "important" we are to the team.

Now that I'm done, yes, the wolf howling annoys the piss out of me.

I agree with you in regard to the student athlete who acts like an idiot, takes advantage of his/her perceived special status within the student body, or just down right abuses the privileges, some of which can be viewed as excessive or unnecessary, afforded to them by the university. They should receive no elevated status beyond a little leeway for classwork while traveling.

Athletics provided through the university are part of the college experience. I understand that some may not prioritize attendance and participation in these events above socializing with others or completing coursework. I also know that certain elements or associations may now, or at least used to, require attendance to at least a few games every year. If a student has low interest in these events, forego attendance. Go for the tailgating, do the socializing and weekend planning there; then skip out on the game itself, and leave a space for those who would relish the opportunity to attend - who will stay there, who will add to their college experience by being there.

I will concede, after researching my assumption of free admission, that this is not the case; which is unfortunate. The RSVP program strikes again. I think this needs to be corrected in the near future. The cost of tuition, fees, books, parking passes, lab fees - should be enough out of the student body's pocket without coercing more to attend football or basketball home games. I've wondered in past seasons why the student section at Bud Walton had shrunk - I dismissed it by blaming the product on the court. Now I realize the product has less to do with attendance than the incessant gouging of student pockets.

RazorbackRon

I heard allot less wolf howl on Saturday.  In fact the only noticeable time I hard it was at the tailgate area in Victory Village.  There was a big frat\sorority tailgate 2 tents down from ours.   At one point all of the sorority girls got out and called the hogs with the wolf howl. After the 1st call, I shouted back "NO WOLF HOWL',  After the 2nd call with the wolf howl, there were a couple of other tents shouting "NO WOLF HOWL.  On the 3rd call with the wolf howl, you could hear "NO WOLF HOWL" shouts from around the area. 

I am convinced the wolf howl is continuing because of the frats\sororities. 
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

SwazyHog

I cringed watching SEC Nation Saturday, the whole howl was in full display. Soon people across the nation will think that's how the Hog Call actually goes.
"I felt like I owed it to the state. They let me come in and transfer here to Arkansas, and I felt like it wouldn't be fair after one year to just up and leave."

"This is your Public Service Announcement  for 2010: Remember, No One's Buckass Snitshit Crazier Than Arkansas Fans."

PorkRinds

The wolf howl is awesome. Consider it an update to a classic.

Torqued pork

link=topic=597279.msg9845567#msg9845567 date=1441573661]
[/quote]Kind of like that new Coke they tried once upon a time.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Torqued pork on September 06, 2015, 04:12:10 pm
link=topic=597279.msg9845567#msg9845567 date=1441573661]
Kind of like that new Coke they tried once upon a time.

I love coke zero!

HighcountryHog

I've heard from no less than ten people, who are not Hog fans nor from the state of AR, that say they have picked up on this wolf howl thing and say it's atrocious. 

I'm becoming that [CENSORED] that points it out to anyone that does it.  Yes, I will make a point to tell you mid-Hog call that you're doing it wrong and to please do it correctly or shut up. 
no bumps, no fat chicks

ricepig

Some of you have some real sensitive ears, probably could be safe crackers. The aaaahhhh doesn't bother me as much as the "dog barks" during it. Anyway, just be happy they are calling them!

RazorbackRon

Quote from: ricepig on September 06, 2015, 04:23:56 pm
Some of you have some real sensitive ears, probably could be safe crackers. The aaaahhhh doesn't bother me as much as the "dog barks" during it. Anyway, just be happy they are calling them!

NO.  aaaaahhhh bothers the crap out of me.   I would just rather those people shut up and be quiet.   Uncommon is doing things right, not just doing it.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

Torqued pork

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 06, 2015, 04:15:33 pm
I love coke zero!
You would probably change Hail to the Victors to Hail to the Participants.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Torqued pork on September 06, 2015, 04:40:34 pm
You would probably change Hail to the Victors to Hail to the Participants.

If everyone was on board , sure! Why not?

secfan30

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 01, 2015, 09:26:34 am
move all games from LR, that's where the wolf howl started!!

PP

It was actually started in Fayetteville... Freshmen were being taught it that way about 10 years ago or so... For some reason it's caught on with some old people too. It really sucks and takes away from the Hog Call.