Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sling TV question

Started by lefty08, August 31, 2015, 05:11:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lefty08

Im looking at cancelling my DirecTV service, for no other reason than Im the only one who watches TV in my house. My only concern with going to Sling TV is the local channels. I know I could get an Antenna and pick them up, but for those of you who have Sling TV, What do you do for local channels? Is there any other better options for getting the locals?

Thanks
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

TDHawgs

You can definitely buy or build an antenna that will pick up local HD channels.  Just depends on how far you live from them.

brenthog

lefty08

Quote from: brenthog on August 31, 2015, 05:25:26 pm
Hulu and an antenna

How is the picture through an antenna?  havent had one of those since i was a kid
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Mike Irwin

If the signal is there it's perfect. Better than satellite or cable because it's coming straight to you. But it's not like in the analog days where if the signal was weak the picture got fuzzy or snowy. If the signal isn't strong enough your TV will simply lock onto the last good frame of video it received and freeze until the signal improves. But there are plenty of things you can do to improve your signal.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: lefty08 on August 31, 2015, 05:34:34 pm

How is the picture through an antenna?  havent had one of those since i was a kid

I have a digital HD antenna in my shop.  Works great.  However, Channel 5, out of Fort Smith, no longer works.  It used to so I called them to see if there was a problem.  They said they haven't changed a thing.  I don't believe them but, however, they are a bunch of spares down there.  Every other channel comes in great.  I have ATTUverse in the house so if I want to watch things like ESPN or SEC Network, I'll stream it using WiFi.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

lefty08

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. Im thinking 25 bucks a month for sling + my netflix account we already have for my daughter, will be more than enough for us. Our directv bill is just getting outrageous. I love the service, but its just not practical anymore.

I was having flashbacks to the snowy channels and my pops making me scale the roof to adjust the antenna   haha

Good to know thats not the case anymore

chitwnhog

Quote from: lefty08 on August 31, 2015, 05:49:15 pm
Awesome, thanks for the help guys. Im thinking 25 bucks a month for sling + my netflix account we already have for my daughter, will be more than enough for us. Our directv bill is just getting outrageous. I love the service, but its just not practical anymore.

I was having flashbacks to the snowy channels and my pops making me scale the roof to adjust the antenna   haha

I tried Sling and really didn't like it. The "app" or interface you use to access is really clunky. Decided to stick with my Netflix/Hulu/Antenna set-up

Wayne Watson

Quote from: lefty08 on August 31, 2015, 05:49:15 pm

My digital HD antenna is about 9"x9" and in hanging inside my shop next to the peak of the roof.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Arkansasno1

I cancel my directv for sling, I got Amazon fire box. It works perfectly I really have no problems with it. I bought a nice antenna off of Amazon. Clear Channel 4 I believe if I remember right, and put it in the attic. The local channel signal is better than anything I got a satellite or cable.
"Be content and resigned to God's will."
~Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

murthage

I live in downtown Memphis and have Sling TV. 
1.  I get about 30 channels on a $29.99 Antenna purchased at Radio Shack.  One time expense.  Very High HDTV quality.
2. I purchased a Sling Fire TV for my bedroom, and a Fire Sling Stick for the living room.
3. You must have internet service for the Sling TV to stream the programs.  Should be at least 8 Megabits download speed to get best streaming.
4. The Sling TV costs $19.99 + tax for basic service, plus another $5 for the Sports Package. It can be paid monthly with no contract, which allows you to cancel at any time.  If you purchase a 3 month package, you get a special on the purchase of the Fire Sling Fire TV... approximately 1/2 price ($50).

For the $25 price you will get these stations:
  ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN2, ESPN NEWS, SEC ESPN, GOAL LINE, UNIVERSAL SPORTS NETWORK, UNIVISIO, bein SPORTS, epix, amc, TNT, A&E, HISTORY, HISTORY2, tbs, IFC, EL REY, polaris, maker, HGTV, food network, travel channel, CNN(as), abc family, Disney Channel, can, Bloomberg Television, Lifetime, and Galavision.

Enjoy... We get fox News on live streaming at:  http://www.baqiworld.com/2011/10/watch-fox-news-live/

We love it.... 
To determine the availability of the channels from your address with an antenna, go to:  http:www.antennaweb.org   

You will also need Amazon Prime to get the full use od the Amazon Fire Stick or Amazon Fire TV.  Lots of special channels.. we watch Covert Affairs every night.

TDHawgs

We are currently having issues with our DSL service so I went ahead and started back my Dish service for now since I refuse to take any chances watch my beloved Hogs play.  I had the Hopper and two Joey receivers, what I did to get the bill down was cancel the Joey's which saved me $15 a month. Then I got the lowest package I could that included the SEC Network, so it's definitely not as bad as it used to be. The cool thing is that if I want to watch it on the other TV's all I have to do is go to the dishanywhere app on pc and hook it up to the tv. Little extra work but worth the savings. 

I loved the SlingTV, just didn't have a stable enough connection for right now. Hope they fix our DSL issues soon..  :(

atekido

HD through an antenna with a good signal is better because with satellite/cable/online streaming there all compressing the the video/data.  When your using an antenna your getting the full stream of data 100% uncompressed.

HawgLife4Eva

The one big thing is make sure you have a good internet connection for Sling TV. I had a bad internet connection and it was terrible, and then I got a very high speed one and it was perfect.
(I would assume most people who comment that they have trouble with it have a low-speed or laggy connection.)

Also, I rarely if ever use the Sling TV app. I use the WatchESPN app on my Roku. (The Sling TV subscription comes with WatchESPN access and you can watch lots of stuff that isn't even on Sling TV.)

You get a week free before you have to start paying, so you can try it out before you commit to buying it to see if it works for you.

HawgLife4Eva

Quote from: atekido on August 31, 2015, 08:10:51 pm
HD through an antenna with a good signal is better because with satellite/cable/online streaming there all compressing the the video/data.  When your using an antenna your getting the full stream of data 100% uncompressed.

I agree. The signal on my antenna is way better than my previous cable or satellite signal. It is very clear.

You can put in your address to one of these to see the channels you (should) get with an antenna:

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/
http://www.receptionmaps.com/Advanced-TV-Maps.html

Professor Psychosis

If anyone's main concern with local channels is primarily being able to see the Razorback games that are on CBS, you can go to cbssports.com and watch the SEC on CBS games there streaming at no cost.

Don't worry, I'll be sure to mention this again first CBS game this year when someone asks "what channel is the game on?"

hawgrunner

Just signed up with Sling TV but haven't really tested it out yet. But this talk about HD  Antenna has me thinking...

solitons

August 31, 2015, 09:31:41 pm #17 Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:56:53 pm by solitons
I'm going to dump DirecTV too, is the stream stick good enough? or should buy the roku3? what is the advantage of the roku3? thanks,
excited for the football season! go hogs

[edit] just check their products, seems that the roku3 has light-fast processor. maybe should go with the roku3, but I still want to hear from your comments.

ordered the roku3 at $50 with 3 month basic and sport package.

hawgXi

RzRbAcK18

I have been a proud SlingTV supporter for awhile. I do not currently have it because until Saturday there really is no use for it. We have 2 antennas, 1 for up stairs and 1 for down stairs. I live in Fort Smith and we get 5, 5.1, 24, 24.1, 40, and 40.2. There are some other weird channels that come in but I delete them off. We have Netflix and as of Saturday SlingTV. Roughly $80 a month. When football is over, so will be SlingTV. I also have a chromecast, I am hoping Sling has added that support by now, we will see. If not an HDMI cord will do just fine. Ditch the dish. I haven't had cable in years, never will again.

Tarheelhawg

I have high speed internet and use sling tv thru roku.  It is great; much cheaper than Direct Tv.  Also,  a cheap HD antenna works great depending on your location for local channels.

lefty08

what about the nexxus box instead of the fire stick?

HawgLife4Eva

Quote from: RzRbAcK18 on August 31, 2015, 10:00:58 pm
We have Netflix and as of Saturday SlingTV. Roughly $80 a month.
How is Netflix ($7.99/mo) + SlingTV ($25/mo with sports package) = $80/mo ?

Quote from: RzRbAcK18 on August 31, 2015, 10:00:58 pm
When football is over, so will be SlingTV.
That is the thing I like best about it. The ability to only pay for it during football months (or, perhaps, football and March Madness)

RzRbAcK18

Quote from: HawgLife4Eva on August 31, 2015, 11:35:52 pm
How is Netflix ($7.99/mo) + SlingTV ($25/mo with sports package) = $80/mo ?

That is the thing I like best about it. The ability to only pay for it during football months (or, perhaps, football and March Madness)

I was thinking people would assume internet is required.

$50
$8
$25
-----
$83 (roughly $80)

Hoggie17

Quote from: lefty08 on August 31, 2015, 05:34:34 pm

I got an outdoor antenna this June for around $90.00 and the picture could not be better. I can pick up over 30 channels. I still have direct for espn. but I watch MeTV from the antenna. It shows programs like the Black Sheep Squadron, Colombo, and the Rockford files. I still like those old tv shows. It picks up the Grit Channel and programs there are good.  If it were not for other members of the family I would cut cable and be very satisfied.

Biggus Piggus

If you get the Sling TV package with the SEC Network, do you get all the alternate channels too?
[CENSORED]!

hog1984

Quote from: solitons on August 31, 2015, 09:31:41 pm
I'm going to dump DirecTV too, is the stream stick good enough? or should buy the roku3? what is the advantage of the roku3? thanks,
excited for the football season! go hogs

[edit] just check their products, seems that the roku3 has light-fast processor. maybe should go with the roku3, but I still want to hear from your comments.

ordered the roku3 at $50 with 3 month basic and sport package.

You did not go wrong with your choice. $50 is a good price. I did the same but chose the Stick. I have two other Roku boxes. The LT and the Roku 2 XD. Both of these boxes were purchased in 2013.

The Roku 3 has a faster processor for loading channel content than the Stick, but after it loads I think both are on par with each other in performance. If you subscribe to Netflix, the newest Rokus have the updated app which allow profiles for up to 4 people. Other than that, I don't see much performance difference between my older boxes and my current generatiod Roku Stick.

Hakuna Matata

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 01, 2015, 06:43:18 am
If you get the Sling TV package with the SEC Network, do you get all the alternate channels too?

The Sports Package includes ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network, ESPN News, Goal Line, Universal Sports Network, Univisio, bein Sports...No ESPN Classic or channels like that. Just the ones I already listed. All games will show up on these, except the CBS games which can be watched on CBSSports.com or on TV through the antenna.

raj005

I have sling, netflix, hulu, and hbo go.  All are on a Roku 3 and a Chromecast.  I have Cox for my internet so when I went to drop TV, they told me about a Flex Watch Package that is all the basic HD channels, HBO, Starz, and Encore which was $15/month with 50 mbps internet.  I have the sports package on sling and the watchESPN app on the roku for all of the games as well.  Haven't tried it for football season just yet but its worked well so far for all of the preseason shows.  WatchESPN lets you use Sling as a listed provider now but you only get the regular ESPN channels unless you pay for the sports package ($5/month).  Altogether I pay less than $100/month for everything and can watch wherever I am as long as I have my tablet and internet. Plus, any TV I have hooked up to a coaxial gets all the channels as well, just not in HD.  But that works for some of the bedroom TV's that get less usage. I've heard good things about the HD antenna, just haven't tried one yet.

Hope this helps.

Go hogs!
Go Hogs!

Redhogs

Quote from: HawgLife4Eva on August 31, 2015, 08:21:39 pm
I agree. The signal on my antenna is way better than my previous cable or satellite signal. It is very clear.

You can put in your address to one of these to see the channels you (should) get with an antenna:

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/
http://www.receptionmaps.com/Advanced-TV-Maps.html
Thanks so much...just had a knock down drag out with Direct TV yesterday.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Quilldog52

Okay so here is my Sling TV setup. So for local channels I went and bought a leaf antenna and ran in through my Xbox one. Here is a guide to leaf http://54.172.195.76/tv-for-free-front/. Here is what you need for an Xbox one(Hauppauge 1578 Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One) this can also work for newer TVs with USB.

Now for Sling TV, I first tried this through the fire stick and Xbox one. At times it was good, but it has a lot of buffering issues and the interface is pretty bad. So what I did was run Ethernet cables to my Xbox one and then to advantage of the 3 month discount on the Roku 3 (can't say enough how much I love the Roku 3). To run Ethernet cables, I bought the Powerline adapter off amazon(basically you don't have to run cables all through the house).

Since doing this, it has been an incredible difference in stream quality and how I have no buffering problems now.

Laughing Hog

This entire thread makes feel like I need to take a 4 month class just to learn how to puzzle all this together. Love the amount of savings I'm seeing here though. Sounds much better than dealing with "Communistcast".
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

solitons

Quote from: hog1984 on September 01, 2015, 07:03:48 am
You did not go wrong with your choice. $50 is a good price. I did the same but chose the Stick. I have two other Roku boxes. The LT and the Roku 2 XD. Both of these boxes were purchased in 2013.

The Roku 3 has a faster processor for loading channel content than the Stick, but after it loads I think both are on par with each other in performance. If you subscribe to Netflix, the newest Rokus have the updated app which allow profiles for up to 4 people. Other than that, I don't see much performance difference between my older boxes and my current generatiod Roku Stick.
Thanks for the input! +1

SouthSide Johnny

lot's of useful information here
Quote from: Laughing Hog on September 01, 2015, 08:12:04 am
This entire thread makes feel like I need to take a 4 month class just to learn how to puzzle all this together. Love the amount of savings I'm seeing here though. Sounds much better than dealing with "Communistcast".

Ditto ^^^
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

WorfHog

What's so puzzling? SlingTV is an online streaming replacement for cable. With the sports package you can stream every game the Hogs play on an ESPN channel. The CBS games can be picked up over the air on an antenna or from cbssports.com for streaming. An internet connection is require to stream. It's probably cheaper than your cable/satellite bill. 

atekido

The issue with Sling generally isn't your internet but Sling itself.  It has a bad habit of struggling on events and shows that are being watched by a lot of people at the same time.

Laughing Hog

Quote from: WorfHog on September 01, 2015, 08:49:41 am
What's so puzzling? SlingTV is an online streaming replacement for cable. With the sports package you can stream every game the Hogs play on an ESPN channel. The CBS games can be picked up over the air on an antenna or from cbssports.com for streaming. An internet connection is require to stream. It's probably cheaper than your cable/satellite bill. 

Just haven't had time / taken time to catch up on the technology (that and technology and I don't get along very well). Stuck in the path of least resistance and I ain't about to start mess'n with it 3 days before football season. Hell, I didn't find this place till 2007! Glad I did though.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Craig O Squeal

I just got frustrated with SlingTV because I liked having NFL Network, NHL Network and Fox Sports Southwest/Midwest on Comcast. As I understand it, I could not watch Cardinals games on MLB Season Pass because STL is an "in market game" and I can only watch out of market games on the plan, correct? If it wasn't for Cards games, and NFL/NHL I'd be all over SlingTV. Any ideas to circumvent the system?

hogsanity

Quote from: WorfHog on September 01, 2015, 08:49:41 am

Just asking, by the time you get an antennae, sling subscription, roku, chromecast, etc ( all the subscriptions and equipment you need to piece together all the services to get all the channels, how much does it really end up costing per month?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cinco de Hogo

I could easily go to these other venues but My home body wife can watch shows like Nat Geo Wild all day.  No soaps for her she likes nature and sports.  Just not worth figuring everything out(which I could do) plus my experience has alway been that as soon as I get it figured out, buy the stuff, get the subscriptions, they go and change something and everything I did is for naught.

I've got so tired if it I don't really care about TV anymore except for Arkansas Football.

Craig O Squeal

Quote from: hogsanity on September 01, 2015, 09:39:31 am
Just asking, by the time you get an antennae, sling subscription, roku, chromecast, etc ( all the subscriptions and equipment you need to piece together all the services to get all the channels, how much does it really end up costing per month?
I guess the biggest thing is that most of that stuff is a one-time cost. We are basically paying "rent" to the man for the privilege of watching TV. Sling would be the only "monthly" cost after you front the rest of the equipment. I kind of miss the days of getting up and flipping the dial on the TV to "surf."

HawgLife4Eva

Quote from: RzRbAcK18 on September 01, 2015, 12:18:04 am
I was thinking people would assume internet is required.

$50
$8
$25
-----
$83 (roughly $80)

Cool. I wasn't thinking about internet, but you are right. Presumably someone would (or might) have internet either way.

HawgLife4Eva

Quote from: Redhogs on September 01, 2015, 07:43:06 am
Thanks so much...just had a knock down drag out with Direct TV yesterday.
No problem. Glad I could help.

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 01, 2015, 09:41:55 am
I could easily go to these other venues but My home body wife can watch shows like Nat Geo Wild all day.  No soaps for her she likes nature and sports.  Just not worth figuring everything out(which I could do) plus my experience has alway been that as soon as I get it figured out, buy the stuff, get the subscriptions, they go and change something and everything I did is for naught.

I've got so tired if it I don't really care about TV anymore except for Arkansas Football.

With 4 of us at home, all with varying taste in programs, I like sports & stuff like H2, American Heroes channel, Paladia, Velocity, wife like DIY, HGTV, the older boy likes movies, and the younger one is in between still likes some Nick shows, cartoon net stuff, but also likes marvel movies, it is just easier to have cable/sat/uverse type service.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: Craig O Squeal on September 01, 2015, 09:46:53 am
I guess the biggest thing is that most of that stuff is a one-time cost. We are basically paying "rent" to the man for the privilege of watching TV. Sling would be the only "monthly" cost after you front the rest of the equipment. I kind of miss the days of getting up and flipping the dial on the TV to "surf."

I just like the ease of turning on the tv and the receiver and having all my channels right there. Just glancing at the sling website it looks like several of the channels I watch are not available or I would have to tack on ALL of their add ons ( except the spanish language channels ), plus still have to go elsewhere for other channels. IT just is not worth it to me, but I am also not into tech  like others are either.

Doyle Hograves

Quote from: hogsanity on September 01, 2015, 10:00:58 am
I just like the ease of turning on the tv and the receiver and having all my channels right there. Just glancing at the sling website it looks like several of the channels I watch are not available or I would have to tack on ALL of their add ons ( except the spanish language channels ), plus still have to go elsewhere for other channels. IT just is not worth it to me, but I am also not into tech  like others are either.

Do you still work for Cox?
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

GolfnHog

laughingHog, you and I are cut of the same cloth! The key to the change is get someone that is computer/technology literate and have them over for a beer and installation!!

I have the Roku 3, slingTV and everything that comes with the Roku 3. I've yet to get the HD antenna for the local channels but I'm on the road during the week so I'm not too worried about it until a week or so before the Hogs play on CBS then I'll be ready.

Can someone give me the "Ned and the reader" version about the CBSsports.com and how that works so I have a mental midget understanding of what I need to do to either add it to my smart phone or tablet or do I just need to go get the HD antenna and hope that the local CBS channel comes in crystal clear?

I've got the Sling TV app figured out and it works great along w/ the Netflix, Crackle etc... 
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

hogsanity

Quote from: Doyle Hograves on September 01, 2015, 10:02:36 am
Do you still work for Cox?

never did work for Cox. I worked for a company called Quality Entertainment. We were small though. Most of our systems were rural, and had maybe 35 channels. We did have one that had 60 channels. We sold out in early 2001 when the Sat companies started being able to carry the local channels. I knew we could not compete with the sat carriers once that started. The company that bought us out thought otherwise. They went BK about 18 months after they took over our systems. I still keep up with a few people in the business, but almost out of habit more than anything.

Biggus Piggus

The way I figured it, Internet TV with Roku and Sling TV would end up saving us $30/month compared with discounted U-verse and $80/month vs. full-price U-verse.
[CENSORED]!

Doyle Hograves

Quote from: hogsanity on September 01, 2015, 10:06:49 am
never did work for Cox. I worked for a company called Quality Entertainment. We were small though. Most of our systems were rural, and had maybe 35 channels. We did have one that had 60 channels. We sold out in early 2001 when the Sat companies started being able to carry the local channels. I knew we could not compete with the sat carriers once that started. The company that bought us out thought otherwise. They went BK about 18 months after they took over our systems. I still keep up with a few people in the business, but almost out of habit more than anything.

Sorry... thought you worked for Cox.
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.