Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If the Hogs are 4-0 going into the Oct 3rd game in Knoxville...

Started by HogFanInBryant, August 27, 2015, 09:25:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFanInBryant

does this game automatically become a potential "program changing" matchup?

I'll go first...and yes it becomes the biggest game since the BCS loss to Ohio St.

Thoughts?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogFanInBryant on August 27, 2015, 09:25:49 pm

I'll go first...and yes it becomes the biggest game since the BCS loss to Ohio St.

Thoughts?

It has already been said to be a potentially season changing game for both teams based on the outcome, but to compare it to a BCS level game? No.
Go Hogs Go!

lahawg1

If we are 4-0 going into Knox I have all the confidence that we will leave 5-0

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 27, 2015, 09:28:51 pm
It has already been said to be a potentially season changing game for both teams based on the outcome, but to compare it to a BCS level game? No.

Since...not as...since...

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: Hogarusa on August 27, 2015, 09:33:12 pm
No
At Bama the following week will be much bigger

You have to light the grill first before you cook the steak...

TheRazorback500

Quote from: lahawg1 on August 27, 2015, 09:31:08 pm
I'm with ya. If we're 4-0, we'll have beaten an A&M team that is IMO a lot more talented than the Vols.
It'll just continue to move our program forward.

:razorback: 
Do you wanna get Rocked?

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on August 27, 2015, 09:38:54 pm
I'm with ya. If we're 4-0, we'll have beaten an A&M team that is IMO a lot more talented than the Vols.
It'll just continue to move our program forward.

:razorback: 

Tenn on the road>A&M at neutral site

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogFanInBryant on August 27, 2015, 09:31:29 pm
Since...not as...since...

Whatever, it is not a program changing match-up and by far, it can't compare to a BCS game vs. Ohio State. That is wayyyy overplaying this game. JMO Now do we need to win at Tennessee? Of course, but the potentially program changing game for us comes the following week at Alabama for their Homecoming. Beat them in their house and that becomes a potentially program changing win. Tennessee is just another stepping stone to that game.
Go Hogs Go!

TheRazorback500

Quote from: HogFanInBryant on August 27, 2015, 09:40:18 pm
Good point. Hopefully our experience will help us overcome our road woes.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 27, 2015, 09:43:01 pm
Whatever, it is not a program changing match-up and by far, it can't compare to a BCS game vs. Ohio State. That is wayyyy overplaying this game. JMO

agree to disagree...we leave Knoxville 5-0 and all the sudden everyone is worried about playing us...no matter where the game is...

ThisTeetsTaken

Could be the difference in a single digit win regular season and a double digit one.  Could be.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hawgmasta

It would be one of the bigger games of the season IMO if we started off 5-0 by knocking off one of the better teams in the east this year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogFanInBryant on August 27, 2015, 09:47:15 pm
agree to disagree...we leave Knoxville 5-0 and all the sudden everyone is worried about playing us...no matter where the game is...

Everyone is already worried about playing us. We don't need a win at Tennessee for that to occur. And you left out the part of the quote that addressed the Alabama game as being the real potential game/season changer for us. But you can refer back to what I actually said.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 27, 2015, 09:52:53 pm
It will be the fifth game.

Yes...ummmm...yes...4-0 going into Knoxville, hoping to leave 5-0...I'm trying to find a mistake here but not seeing it...huh? 

Svrdhd

Quote from: HogFanInBryant on August 27, 2015, 10:04:15 pm
Yes...ummmm...yes...4-0 going into Knoxville, hoping to leave 5-0...I'm trying to find a mistake here but not seeing it...huh?
LOL, c'mon man, not supposed to play catch up in your own thread!
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Program changer? The program changer occurred when we left the SWC to join the SEC.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: HogFanInBryant on August 27, 2015, 09:40:18 pm

Meh......disagree here a bit. TAMU has more talent than Tenn and they have added Chavis to the defensive side, where they have rectruited well lately, which means Chavis will have a lot of talent to work with. TAMU will be a very tough out, even at a nuetral site.

Tenner on the other hand is still young and Butch Jones has yet to prove he can win a big game. All of his wins last year came against lesser competition, they just happened to face all the weak teams several weeks in a row at the end of the season last year, so the perception was they finished strong. Factor that in with the fact that Tenn has to go to Oklahoma 2 weeks before hand (where I think they will get smashed) and their confidence level will be down.

I think we will have a better chance to beat Tenner than TAMU, just my 2 cents.

snoblind

Quote from: HogFanInBryant on August 27, 2015, 10:04:15 pm

Check the OP.

:)

31to6

Thoughts?
Someone's hype meter will be laying broken on the ground next to a crumpled up season program and a pool of tears.

HOGGISHABOUTAR

I`m damn glad we have A&M at a neutral site right now, the updated Kyle field is ridiculous, so we need to let the new car smell wear off before we go there. I think we leave stinky old Knoxville 5-0, and if so, lookout!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Thoughts?

What? The game against LSU with the winner going to the NC in 2011 was a bigger game than OSU game by far.

ZERO

It depends if Tennessee is also 4-0. They could very well be 2-2 if they're not as advertised.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Hogwild

jgphillips3

Tennessee is arguably at this point an underdog to us even at home (could be different by then) so I have to say no.  Being 5-0 then beating the bully of the SEC at home in Tuscaloosa could be a Bielema program defining game though.

duckman

A&M is the key to a great season IMO.  We NEED that game to get rolling, we beat them and Tenner gets curb stomped then the Bama game will be a war...

passinghog

BenDial

I certainly see why one might circle the game in Knoxville as bigger than A&M and one of the biggest games we've played since the BCS game. First, we haven't played a BCS game, so it's not really comparing it to the Sugar Bowl. Rather, it's comparing it all the games we've played since the Sugar Bowl.

Now stop to consider that two teams are sexy teams to talk about in the SEC- the Vaulting Volunteers and the Rising Razorbacks. This game will be billed as a contender vs. pretender match. As unfair as it may be, it's already being billed that way. The media is already hyping this matchup as two rising programs where one is going to take the next step while one will falter and stay relatively obscure, buried in the middle of the SEC.

If the Vols are still undefeated, tough task as they host Oklahoma and travel to Florida before our game, as we are, then we're looking at combined records of 8-0 and two top 15 teams. Heck, they may both be top 10.

I say all of that to say that if as big as the Tennessee game is, if we come of out of it undefeated, then the Alabama game will be an entirely different level. And it's quite possible, that if Auburn is still undefeated the following week, THAT could be the biggest matchup of the year in the SEC if the Hogs were able to leave Bryant-Denny unscathed.

bennyl08

I'd argue that the Texas bowl game was bigger. We lose that game, we don't have any of this offseason hype. We were a team that got lucky back to back then, went right back to losing vs Mizzou and Texas. We lose the Texas game, then beating Tenner means we rise up to where we are right now rather than rise up into the hyped actual dark horse contender.

EDIT: Of course, then one could argue, well, if we didn't beat ole miss and LSU, then there wouldn't have been the hype for the Texas game and so on and so forth. However, I'd argue that those two games weren't really hyped for us, but the Texas game was. We win that game, we have the entire offseason of people talking positively about us, we lose it, nobody is talking about us. Compare that to the Tenner game, we win that game and we launch ourselves into a team that can truly compete and isn't just rising, but risen. However, if we lose that game, we still have the opportunity to make people forget about that loss by winning the games that come after. With the Texas bowl game, there is no chance for redemption for 7-8 months.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

dhornjr1

It would be the biggest match-up we've had since we laid an egg in Baton Rouge in 2011. We win that game and we were quite possibly playing for the national championship.

East TN HAWG

I tell everyone here in TN the Hogs are going to win by at least 10 points.  They look at me like I am stupid.  They really believe that they have the best DL in their history, and that Dobbs can make up for the lack of a OL.  They all want to bet me.

I've never felt this confident about a win over UT.   

HAWG MAFIA

Quote from: East TN HAWG on August 28, 2015, 05:21:15 am
I tell everyone here in TN the Hogs are going to win by at least 10 points.  They look at me like I am stupid.  They really believe that they have the best DL in their history, and that Dobbs can make up for the lack of a OL.  They all want to bet me.

I've never felt this confident about a win over UT.
Are you taking the bets?

Porky McGee

The biggest game since the ohio state loss was the game the next year against LSU when it was #1 vs #3 and we had a potential shot at the BCS title game if we won.

Pork Twain

Quote from: HogFanInBryant on August 27, 2015, 09:47:15 pm
Everyone is worried about playing us already.  Going into Bama and knocking them off is a much bigger game, regardless of the outcome of the Tenn game.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HF#1

If we beat A&M, we would likely be just outside the top 10
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogcard1964

Quote from: lahawg1 on August 27, 2015, 09:31:08 pm

Is there any doubt we won't be 4-0 entering that game?

Cinco de Hogo

I like playing Tennessee but at the end if the day it's just another SEC game.  Any one of our games against SECW opponents is more important.  Got to keep things in perspective no matter what your personal feelings are towards your opponent.

Tortfeasor

I said this in another thread, but TN has suffered a lot of injuries. They have 4 players out for the season and had 18 miss a practice recently due to injury. If they keep this up they may not have a team.

chitwnhog

Of the three games I think Tenn is the least important. We beat A&M that is gonna be big cause we haven't gotten over that hump in three years. Best Tenn the next week just builds momentum for Bama. We beat Bama and we have arrived. Program changing.

WarPig88

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 27, 2015, 09:49:17 pm
Everyone is already worried about playing us. We don't need a win at Tennessee for that to occur. And you left out the part of the quote that addressed the Alabama game as being the real potential game/season changer for us. But you can refer back to what I actually said.

I don't see anyone "worried" about playing us. I see them looking forward to playing us this year. Not because we are a cupcake, but because we are considered to be good.

We won't be surprising anyone this season. We will be taking everyone's best shot.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Porky McGee on August 28, 2015, 06:19:32 am
The biggest game since the ohio state loss was the game the next year against LSU when it was #1 vs #3 and we had a potential shot at the BCS title game if we won.

I agree and said the same thing about 7 posts above this one.

NaturalStateReb

Thoughts?

I think it's potentially a bellwether game.  If Arkansas wins on the road against a pretty good Tennessee game in front of 100,000 screaming Volunteer fans, then I think Arkansas could be looking at a really good bowl.  A loss here isn't crippling, but with 5 conference games away from home, it wouldn't fill you with confidence about what Arkansas is going to do in those road games, especially with a follow up date at Tuscaloosa.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Hoggish1

Thoughts?

It will be the biggest game of the year to that point, especially if Tenner has also won.  In that case, game day will be there.

Porky McGee

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 28, 2015, 08:45:57 am
I agree and said the same thing about 7 posts above this one.
My bad. Missed that when I scanned this thread

DoctorSusscrofa

I just hope they're 15-0 going into the trophy presentation. ;D
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Porky McGee on August 28, 2015, 10:12:16 am
My bad. Missed that when I scanned this thread

No Problem. I'm really surprised no else is bring that game up. Last game of the season we win and go to the National Title. But bigger than this UT game and bigger than the OSU game