Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC-W Recruiting Updates

Started by jbcarol, June 10, 2012, 07:36:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

'15 Splendora RB Jay Bradford gave a verbal to A&M.  Sub-4.3 40 (hand-timed?), 247's #3 RB in Nation for '15.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Success in Louisiana could be difference between good and great for Alabama's 2014 class

The difference between a good class and a great one for Alabama may not hinge on what happens in-state. It'll hinge on what happens in Louisiana.

Of the 18 prospects Alabama currently has committed in its 2014 class, only four are from Alabama -- counting Bo Scarbrough, who is from Tuscaloosa but recently transferred to IMG Academy in Bradenton...

West Monroe offensive tackle Cameron Robinson, New Orleans-St. Augustine running back Leonard Fournette, Monroe-Neville safety Laurence Jones -- the top three prospects in the state, according to Rivals.com -- were all in Tuscaloosa last weekend...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/08/success_in_louisiana_could_be.html
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on June 25, 2013, 10:42:01 am
9th-grade phenom Dylan Moses featured on cover of ESPN The Magazine

Age against the machine
Fifteen-year-old Dylan Moses is changing the college recruiting process

This story appears in ESPN The Magazine's July 8, Kids In Sports issue. (video at link)

Freshman Dylan Moses runs for 60-yard touchdown as U High dominates St. Charles in scrimmage

QuoteThe Dylan Moses hype machine has been working overtime lately, and in an  evening scrimmage against St. Charles Catholic in LaPlace, the University Lab freshman did nothing to slow the engine.

Moses looked comfortable at linebacker, making a few impressive running tackles, then reeled off a 60-yard touchdown run from the backfield, capping a day in which all eyes were on him during his first organized competition at the high school level.

"The speed is very different," Moses said of high school ball. "When I was running the ball, the hole would be wide open, but as soon as I'd look at it, it'd close right up."

That didn't stop Moses from busting through St. Charles' defensive line and outrunning several Comets' defenders along the edge on his way to the end zone.

Moses, who turned 15 in May, is 6-2, 220, was on the cover of ESPN The Magazine earlier in the summer, and has scholarship offers from LSU, Alabama and six other major college programs already.

His offer from LSU came over a year ago, before he had begun eighth grade. He is thought to be one of the youngest recruits ever for both LSU and Alabama.

"We know he's a talented kid," University Lab Coach Chad Mahaffey deadpanned. "He's starting on defense, so we expect him to be a big player for us."

LSU, Bama, Auburn, Tejas, Notre Dame, Georgia, Ole Miss, UCLA, Nebraska, Florida State and Florida are all reported to have tendered offers to the most publicized player in the Class of '17.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@RecruitingAJC 27 Aug
Nick Saban says winning national championship 'cost me a week of recruiting' --> http://bit.ly/17jCpfI

jbcarol

LSU gets their first commit in the '17 class

University Lab LB/RB Dylan Moses gives a verbal to LSU.

QuoteOne of the nation's top football recruits committed to LSU on Sunday night but he won't be able to sign with the Tigers for about three and a half years.

9th grade phenom Dylan Moses, a 6-foot, 217-pound athlete from Baton Rouge, announced his commitment to LSU on Sunday via his private Twitter account.

"Just committed to LSU #GeauxTigers!!" Moses tweeted.

The 15-year-old prospect has gained national attention after picking up scholarship offers from LSU and Alabama while still in 8th grade.

jbcarol

Top 5 Bama vs. Ole Miss recruiting battles

DB C.J. Hampton (6-1, 195)  Meridian, MS

DT Elisha Shaw (6-4, 295)  Tucker, GA

WR Cam Sims (6-3, 200)  Monroe, LA

LB Shaun Hamilton (6-0, 240)  Montgomery

OL Roderick Taylor (6-3, 305)  Jackson

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/09/top_5_alabama_vs_ole_miss_recr.html

jbcarol

State QB commit Elijah Staley finally dismissed from high school team

Staley was benched for the second half of a 38-9 loss by Marietta Wheeler to Milton of Alpharetta. Staley's family members reportedly took to Twitter to criticize the decision, and Wheeler coach Mike Collins subsequently dismissed him from the team.

The 6-foot-6 Staley is also a top basketball recruit, and said when he committed to Mississippi State in June that he planned to play both sports for the Bulldogs. Paul Jones of 247 Sports reported Wednesday that Staley's father said his son is seeking to graduate from high school in December and enroll at MSU in January.

Wheeler is rated a three-star prospect in football, according to 247 Sports' composite rankings system. He was at one time committed to Vanderbilt, and also has football offers from Appalachian State, Boston College, Marshall, Massachusetts and Virginia.

Wheeler averaged 18 points per game as a junior in basketball, and is rated a three-star prospect in that sport as well.

http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-sports/2013/10/recruiting_mississippi_state_q.html

Richmond Hill senior Nick Fitzgerald is the other QB in State's commitment class.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Plaquemine defensive lineman Davon Godchaux commits to LSU

"I called Coach (Les) Miles, Coach (Brick) Haley and Corey Raymond and told them I was ready to get this done," Godchaux said moments after his commitment. "I just feel at home, my mom can make it to my games. It was all the little things. Now I'm ready to work hard from this injury and get back on the field."

Godchaux is currently rehabbing a torn ACL.

QuoteGodchaux is the 15th commitment for the 2014 class and the first defensive lineman from the state of Louisiana. Although he pulled the trigger, Godchaux still plans to entertain other programs.

"I'm still going to take all five official visits; FSU, UCLA, Ole Miss, and probably Alabama and was thinking USC, too."

jbcarol

Xavier Dampeer gives a verbal to Auburn.

QuoteDampeer, a 6-foot-4, 300-pound center prospect from Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Mississippi, picked up a scholarship offer from the Tigers last week adding to offers from Louisiana Tech, Troy and UAB. Dampeer is ranked as the No. 2 junior college center in the nation by 247Sports

jbcarol

Four-star quarterback prospect and Alabama commitment David Cornwell is done for the season after suffering a knee injury during a game two weeks ago, he confirmed Wednesday to AL.com.

Cornwell had surgery on his right knee, and the elite quarterback from Norman, Oklahoma won't play again this season.

"I will be ready and practicing in spring ball as well," Cornwell said.

www.al.com

Former home school QB who took a year off to take care of his mom and needed a special exemption by Oklahoma Athletic Associate to play his senior (fifth) high school season.

jbcarol

6.0-rated Arlington Martin WDE Myles Garrett gave a verbal to A&M.

jbcarol

5.8-rated Mobile OC Joshua Casher gave a verbal to Bama.

jbcarol

Ben Garrett ‏@SpiritBen 6h
Four-star CB Kendarius Webster has committed to #OleMiss over Florida State and others...

jbcarol

Alabama will host at least eight official visitors, including current Tide commit Viane Talamaivao. The Corona, California offensive lineman will make his first ever visit to Tuscaloosa this weekend after committing to the Tide earlier this year. Joining Talamaivao will be fellow Californians Tyler Luatua, a four-star tight end, four-star offensive tackle Damien Mama from Bellflower, four-star athlete Michiah Quick from Fresno, and five-star athlete John Smith from Long Beach.

Also taking official visits to Tuscaloosa will be Palm Beach, Florida wide receiver Johnnie Dixon and five-star defensive back Tony Brown from Beaumont, Texas. Louisiana native Laurence "Hootie" Jones, one of the nation's top safety prospects, will round out the official visitor group.

The Crimson Tide will welcome 18 of its currently committed 2014 prospects in all to campus, including five-star running back Bo Scarbrough, quarterback David Cornwell, and the nation's top overall prospect, offensive tackle Cameron Robinson from Monroe, Louisiana.

Among the Tide's top uncommitted targets expected to attend are Kentucky defensive tackle Matt Elam, Georgia linebacker Raekwon McMillan, Auburn High School linebacker Rashaan Evans and Hoover cornerback Marlon Humphrey.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/11/alabama_ready_to_welcome_star-.html

See link above to see some of the visitors from the Class of "15.

NoNC4Tubs

Five-star RB Leonard Fournette will be among the visitors.  8)

jbcarol

Bret Bielema ‏@BretBielema 6 Nov
Another great reason to be an Arkansas Razorback #1-0 #WPS pic.twitter.com/6CMoi6NxQM

jbcarol

Les Miles was talking about a recruiting prospect this week, and it was perfectly within NCAA rules. That's because four-star Bossier City (La.) Parkway quarterback Brandon Harris is technically no longer a prospect, but a signee.

Harris took advantage of a new NCAA rule interpretation to sign an Institutional Financial Aid Agreement with LSU on Thursday.

The new interpretation, issued in October, allows prospects like Harris who are on schedule to graduate in December and intend to enroll in January to sign with their school of choice as early as Aug. 1...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/11/qb_brandon_harris_takes_advant.html

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 2h
RT @skhanjr: Texas A&M @CoachSumlin  on "SwagCopter" they occasionally use for recruiting: "The helicopter is undefeated"

jbcarol

On Thursday at High Noon 6-5, 250 Woodbridge, Virginia defensive end Da'Shawn Hand is scheduled to announce his college decision, choosing between Alabama, Florida and Michigan.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/11/decision_day_5-star_dashawn_ha.html

The Bama based recruiting reporters at this link are predicting Michigan.

Steef

Hogs-n-Roses

jbcarol

Five-star defensive end Da'Shawn Hand (Woodbridge, Va./Woodbridge) selected Alabama over Michigan and Florida on Thursday.

-- Matt Crabtree
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 3h
Not sure why folks are saying they're "stunned" where any recruit picks.. esp when it's #Alabama. Tide may win 4 of last 5 BCS titles.

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 3h
Very cool to see how wowed 5-star DL Da'Shawn Hand is to speak to Tony Dungy: "I don't believe I just talked to Tony Dungy. That's insane."

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 4h
...5-star DL Da'Shawn Hand... He told me the oddest recruiting story I've heard in yrs: http://cbsprt.co/1eXEwbH

Hand: Well, I ain't gonna say any names, but one coach told me that since I'm the No. 1 player, I'm gonna get to meet Michael Jackson. I said, "Isn't he already dead?" The coach goes, "Well, all right, you can meet Tito." I was like, all right. OK, I'm done.

It was crazy, but it is what it is.

jbcarol

Clay Travis ‏@ClayTravisBGID 3h
"He sucks anyway," every 48 year old anonymous message board poster when a 17 year old doesn't pick his school.

uams1989

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

How does Saban convince a kid to commit to Bama since he's going to Texas?!
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on November 14, 2013, 03:22:53 pm
Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 4h
...5-star DL Da'Shawn Hand... He told me the oddest recruiting story I've heard in yrs: http://cbsprt.co/1eXEwbH

Hand: Well, I ain't gonna say any names, but one coach told me that since I'm the No. 1 player, I'm gonna get to meet Michael Jackson. I said, "Isn't he already dead?" The coach goes, "Well, all right, you can meet Tito." I was like, all right. OK, I'm done.

It was crazy, but it is what it is.

Must have been Troopah Taylor....... 8)

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: uams1989 on November 14, 2013, 04:41:39 pm
ROLL TIDE ROLL!

How does Saban convince a kid to commit to Bama since he's going to Texas?!

Because he ain't goin'.......... 8)

jbcarol

Paul Finebaum ‏@finebaum 6h
Has anyone bothered to call or text Terry Saban out in Austin with her realtor with the Hand commitment?

jbcarol

Shea Dixon ‏@Sheadixon 8h
#LSU commit Trey Quinn will break Dorial Green-Beckham's national career receiving yds record w 177 more yards...

jbcarol

Bo Mattingly ‏@SportsTalkwBo 14 Nov
Bielema: Next year's recruiting class has to be even better that this past year's class. That's just the way I'm wired.

jbcarol

C.J. Hampton: 'I like Alabama a lot,' but still committed to Ole Miss

QuoteFour-star Meridian (Miss.) safety C.J. Hampton said Friday that he enjoyed his visit to Alabama last Saturday, but he's still committed to Ole Miss.

"It's still pretty strong," he said of his commitment. "I'm still committed to the University of Mississippi. I'm just going through the recruiting process the right way."

jbcarol

Four-star guard Viane Talamaivao of Corona (Calif.) Centennial flipped his commitment from Alabama to USC.

While Lane Kiffin essentially gave up on Talamaivao after his commitment to Alabama, Ed Orgeron has upped the ante in pursuing him, pulling the Kevin Sumlin trick of landing at the lineman's school in a helicopter. A visit to watch USC's win over Stanford last weekend apparently sealed the decision.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/11/effect_of_talamaivaos_de-commi.html

Viane reportedly told a recruiting service, "It was like the old SC..."

NoNC4Tubs

That decommitment dropped Alabama to #1 in the Recruiting Rankings........ 8)

jbcarol

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 6h
Alabama took unique approach in recruitment of Da'Shawn Hand http://ow.ly/qZc9c

QuoteHand has cited Bama's civil engineering program as one of the key reasons he decided to choose the Crimson Tide and Dede said those who know Hand best are not surprised.

jbcarol

C-L Sports ‏@CLSports 12h
MS Recruiting blog: Former Notre Dame signee Tee Shepard wants to play in the SEC http://on.thec-l.com/1c4aFya

The 6-foot-1, 197-pound cornerback grew up in California, but landed at Holmes Community College this year.  He initially enrolled at Notre Dame, but left in March after NCAA eligibility issues relating to online courses.

Shepard knew very little about Holmes before leaving for Mississippi, but quickly learned it competed in an ultra-competitive junior college conference. After playing against multiple Top 10 junior college teams, he said it was like "the baby SEC."

Shepard has 22 scholarship offers and multiple SEC programs after him, but the two a cut above the rest are Ole Miss and Mississippi State.

jbcarol

5.8-rated 6-3 Purvis WR Markell Pack gave a verbal to Ole Miss flipping from Florida State.

jbcarol

Bama gets a verbal from Har-Ber DT Josh Frazier.  Chooses Crimson Tide over Hogs.

jbcarol

Richard Davenport ‏@ArRecruitingGuy 1h
Frazier commits to Bama: Springdale Har-Ber defensive lineman Josh Frazier has announced his commitment to Ala... http://bit.ly/1dsd6iY

jbcarol

John Talty ‏@JTalty 17h
ICYMI: Markell Pack's mother says SEC, more of a family environment at Ole Miss led her son to flip from FSU: http://on.thec-l.com/1bLkmjo