Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown VIII

Started by Hogtropolis™, March 02, 2014, 01:59:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

McKdaddy

11-gm roadie up next vs MIL, WAS, & NYM.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

I support the idea of giving Yadir more planned off-days, like tonight.

jrulz83

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 14, 2014, 07:12:13 pm
I support the idea of giving Yadir more planned off-days, like tonight.

The more Yadi rest days is a central tenet of my 5 point plan to a World Series berth:

1. Get Lynn to a sub 3.50 ERA
2. Get Miller to a sub 3.00 ERA
3. Carpenter has another MVP caliber season
4. Rest Yadi (a little) more and he'll have an MVP caliber season
5. Wainwright has another Cy Young Award caliber season

My fellow Cardinals fans, if we will adopt this 5 point plan I can guarantee you that we will see not only regular season success but regular season dominance. Along with regular season dominance I can guarantee that my plan will result in a deep postseason run with nothing short of a World series berth. Let me be clear, there is tremendous work to be done but if this 5 point plan is enacted the future is bright and our best days are ahead of us. I hope I have represented my positions well enough to earn your vote for the Redbird Rundown post of the month. Thank you for your time and I look forward to seeing you in the NLCS.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

McKdaddy

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 14, 2014, 07:50:12 pm
The more Yadi rest days is a central tenet of my 5 point plan to a World Series berth:

1. Get Lynn to a sub 3.50 ERA
2. Get Miller to a sub 3.00 ERA
3. Carpenter has another MVP caliber season
4. Rest Yadi (a little) more and he'll have an MVP caliber season
5. Wainwright has another Cy Young Award caliber season

My fellow Cardinals fans, if we will adopt this 5 point plan I can guarantee you that we will see not only regular season success but regular season dominance. Along with regular season dominance I can guarantee that my plan will result in a deep postseason run with nothing short of a World series berth. Let me be clear, there is tremendous work to be done but if this 5 point plan is enacted the future is bright and our best days are ahead of us. I hope I have represented my positions well enough to earn your vote for the Redbird Rundown post of the month. Thank you for your time and I look forward to seeing you in the NLCS.

Solid plan, Rulz. I can get behind that.

A dissenting viewpoint:

#1 of the Rulz Rules seems the most difficult to achieve, this most can agree. However, I'd argue that #3 is unlikely, in that his '13 season was an anomaly similar to Herr's '85 season. Not saying Carp won't be solid, but that he'll suffer mean reversion in '14.

What say you?

dacskc

Carpenter just ejected by Balkin Bob for arguing balls and strikes. Punched him out on a ball a foot inside the right hand batters box.

Horton says Carp said " That's terrible." Which it was. Unbelievable.

jrulz83

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 14, 2014, 08:34:10 pm
Solid plan, Rulz. I can get behind that.

A dissenting viewpoint:

#1 of the Rulz Rules seems the most difficult to achieve, this most can agree. However, I'd argue that #3 is unlikely, in that his '13 season was an anomaly similar to Herr's '85 season. Not saying Carp won't be solid, but that he'll suffer mean reversion in '14.

What say you?

We clearly face extreme difficulty for Carpenter to have another MVP caliber season. I believe in Matt Carpenter, but I also believe that no one man has all the answers to get Cardinal Nation where it belongs; back in the World Series. That is why I am willing to work with the differing view points of my friends across the aisle. I would be willing to alter my platform so that we can deliver something that all of Cardinal Nation can get behind. This is not the time for divisiveness among the members Cardinal Nation. This is a time for those with differing view points to come together in a spirit of unity and brotherhood. From the Peter Bourjos doubters to the Lance Lynn haters, we must band together and bring this World Championship home to the baseball cathedral that is Busch Stadium.

dacskc

Jon Jay obviously wants his job back. :)

McKdaddy

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 14, 2014, 08:55:50 pm
We clearly face extreme difficulty for Carpenter to have another MVP caliber season. I believe in Matt Carpenter, but I also believe that no one man has all the answers to get Cardinal Nation where it belongs; back in the World Series. That is why I am willing to work with the differing view points of my friends across the aisle. I would be willing to alter my platform so that we can deliver something that all of Cardinal Nation can get behind. This is not the time for divisiveness among the members Cardinal Nation. This is a time for those with differing view points to come together in a spirit of unity and brotherhood. From the Peter Bourjos doubters to the Lance Lynn haters, we must band together and bring this World Championship home to the baseball cathedral that is Busch Stadium.

Amen. The good Senator has spoken.

dacskc

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 14, 2014, 08:55:50 pm

Agreed. It is a truly noble cause. It is imperative that Allen Craig regain his timing quickly. Once he gets it, as we've observed the last three years, he will be on fire indefinitely. I think Carpenter actually is who he was last year. I don't think it was an anomaly; Craig, however, is making me nervous.

pigture perfect

Lance Lynn is pitching a great game so far. Era now under 5.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

McKdaddy

Quote from: dacskc on April 14, 2014, 09:16:35 pm
It is imperative that Allen Craig regain his timing quickly.

No doubt.

dacskc

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 14, 2014, 09:24:48 pm
Lance Lynn is pitching a great game so far. Era now under 5.

He read the J Rules.

jrulz83

Quote from: dacskc on April 14, 2014, 09:16:35 pm
Agreed. It is a truly noble cause. It is imperative that Allen Craig regain his timing quickly. Once he gets it, as we've observed the last three years, he will be on fire indefinitely. I think Carpenter actually is who he was last year. I don't think it was an anomaly; Craig, however, is making me nervous.

My dear friend, I have seen Allen Craig struggle and I feel your pain. I have seen Matt Holliday hit into double plays with the bases loaded, I have seen Jon Jay fail to cut balls off in the outfield, I have seen Rick Ankiel throw five wild pitches in an inning, I have seen Pete Kozma bat .217 in a season, I have seen Lance Lynn brought into the game at the wrong time, I have seen Scott Rolen only have warning track power. All of these things I have seen happen and the Cardinals still have dominated the MLB Postseason. It is true, Allen Craig's bat is vitally important to the continued success of Cardinal Nation, but I submit that Peralta, Wong, and Molina can carry some of his slack for a time. Allen Craig will regain his stroke and the Baseball Universe will be shaken to its very foundations by the potency of this offense.

My friends, I believe in the ability of the team that Cardinal Nation has put onto the field this year. I hope you will join me in declaring this the year of the Redbird as we continue our march to the World Championship.

McKdaddy

Can he get an amen from the choir?

dacskc

pigture perfect

jrulz83

My friends, the sun never sets on Cardinal Nation but it has upon my meager portion of it. The time has almost come to renew the mind through the peaceful sleep that follows a Cardinals victory.

I would prefer to believe that tonight was a sign of things to come from Lance Lynn, but in the back of my mind resides a lingering doubt. Perhaps he has begun a march that will lead to the team meeting all 5 points of the plan that I will refer to as the Jrulz Doctrine. It will be difficult to meet the 5 points of the Jrulz Doctrine, but as Thomas Paine once penned, "What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly..."

We choose to believe in the future of Cardinal Nation, we choose to believe that Allen Craig will return with a vengeance that will make opposing pitchers shudder, we choose to believe that Yadi will bat .325 for the season, we choose to believe that Wainwright will win 20+ and we choose to go to the World Series!

Cotton

Who was on the bump last night?

Don't tell me Lance Lynn. I don't believe you.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

jrulz83

Quote from: Cotton on April 15, 2014, 09:14:45 am
Who was on the bump last night?

Don't tell me Lance Lynn. I don't believe you.

It was the pitcher formerly known as Lance I need 7 runs from the offense to win Lynn. Last night he donned the moniker of Lance I only need 1 run from the offense to win Lynn.  He's always pitched well against the Brewers. I hope it leads to a string of good starts from him, but if Lynn has proven anything it is that we must expect the unexpected.

McKdaddy

Tweets from Bernie Mik after tonight's game...

"Through April 11, Peralta and Craig were a combined 5 for 66 ... since then, 10 for 27."

"In '13 Cards got 4 HRs from their shortstops in 567 at-bats; new SS J Peralta has 4 HRs in his first 44 ABs"

The Boar War

Thought Ellis looked pretty good tonight.

pigture perfect

How about holding the hottest team in baseball to 6 hits and 1 run in 2 games.

dhornjr1

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 15, 2014, 11:26:46 pm
How about holding the hottest team in baseball to 6 hits and 1 run in 2 games.

Bob Nightengale was on a radio show hosted by Amani Toomer and Etan Chandler just before the season season started and they were asking him who the team to beat in the NL was and they kept mentioning L.A. and Washington.

Nightengale hushed them up by telling them that the Cardinals were far and away the best team in the NL. I get a little bit nervous hearing stuff like that but he was really high on them.

The Boar War

jrulz83

That is why you can never have enough pitching.

The Boar War

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 16, 2014, 01:33:51 pm
That is why you can never have enough pitching.

Do you think we go with Martinez or Lyons?

jrulz83

Quote from: The Boar War on April 16, 2014, 01:36:51 pm
Do you think we go with Martinez or Lyons?

If it's a long DL trip for Kelly I'd prefer Martinez, with a healthy Motte taking his role in the bullpen. I bet they go with Lyons to keep the bullpen stable.

The Boar War

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 16, 2014, 01:39:47 pm
If it's a long DL trip for Kelly I'd prefer Martinez, with a healthy Motte taking his role in the bullpen. I bet they go with Lyons to keep the bullpen stable.

At this point it's being called a left hamstring "tightness".

jrulz83

Quote from: The Boar War on April 16, 2014, 01:59:19 pm
At this point it's being called a left hamstring "tightness".

Awful early......it is going to depend on what it feels like tonight/in the morning, he may only miss a start. That would be a best case scenario.

dhornjr1

This is exactly what Nightengale mentioned in the interview I referenced. He specifically mentioned the deep pitching the Cardinals have as a reason why they will be very tough to beat.

jrulz83

Kelly put on the DL, Butler optioned to Memphis, Fornataro and Rondon called up to provide bodies in the bullpen. Total shot in the dark, but I bet Lyons makes Kelly's next 3 starts.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/cards-place-kelly-on-dl-call-for-reinforcements/article_33b87428-55c8-557d-b613-d546fa80bb1e.html

The Boar War

PSA:  Tonight's Cardinals game will be shown on Dish Channel 448.

pigture perfect

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 17, 2014, 12:51:29 pm
Kelly put on the DL, Butler optioned to Memphis, Fornataro and Rondon called up to provide bodies in the bullpen. Total shot in the dark, but I bet Lyons makes Kelly's next 3 starts.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/cards-place-kelly-on-dl-call-for-reinforcements/article_33b87428-55c8-557d-b613-d546fa80bb1e.html
I would think it would be C. Martinez.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 17, 2014, 07:15:44 pm
I would think it would be C. Martinez.

It's going to depend on the length of Kelly's DL stint. If it's going to be longer than the 15 days, go to Martinez. The bullpen needs his arm, it is kind of touch and go out there right now and a consistent arm being there is important. Matheny's reasoning is the same as mine. It's rare that I get one "right" so I'm going to bask in this glory for a minute......Ahhh!! that was nice. :)

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/matheny-martinez-will-stay-in-bullpen-for-now/article_33b87428-55c8-557d-b613-d546fa80bb1e.html

pigture perfect

LOL. You got me on that one Rulz. Not a bad thing though.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 17, 2014, 07:41:34 pm
LOL. You got me on that one Rulz. Not a bad thing though.

Sorry, I'm still basking.........okay, I'm done now. Wainwright is looking strong tonight, and the Nationals defense actually looks worse than the Cardinals defense has looked. Tonight the Nationals are putting on one of the poorest defensive performances I have ever seen. Dreadful!!!

pigture perfect

Waino looked awesome tonight. 2 hitter. Didn't give up second hit til 2 out in the 9th.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 17, 2014, 09:19:30 pm
Waino looked awesome tonight. 2 hitter. Didn't give up second hit til 2 out in the 9th.

Great outing for him, hopefully Wacha will keep the ball rolling tomorrow.

McKdaddy

Baseball boner for the 1-2 punch of Waino and Wacha.

Was that said aloud?

pigture perfect

The Boar War

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 17, 2014, 07:50:17 pm
Sorry, I'm still basking.........okay, I'm done now. Wainwright is looking strong tonight, and the Nationals defense actually looks worse than the Cardinals defense has looked. Tonight the Nationals are putting on one of the poorest defensive performances I have ever seen. Dreadful!!!

After watching performances like that I wonder if there was a Nationals fan who drove 5+ hours to watch a game that was apparently a loss before the bottom half of the first inning.  I've never had that experience going to St. Louis but it must be the pits.

jrulz83

Quote from: The Boar War on April 17, 2014, 11:00:38 pm
After watching performances like that I wonder if there was a Nationals fan who drove 5+ hours to watch a game that was apparently a loss before the bottom half of the first inning.  I've never had that experience going to St. Louis but it must be the pits.

What if you were a Nationals fan and tonight was the only game you could attend? The suck factor would be a 10/10. The Nationals were very, very bush-league tonight. I picked them to win the East, that's their biggest problem. :)

The Hogfather

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 17, 2014, 10:06:32 pm
Baseball boner for the 1-2 punch of Waino and Wacha.

Was that said aloud?

Ewwwww...

Cotton

Waino looked sharp as ever last night.
Blues won in 3OT

Great night for St. Louis
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

McKdaddy

Other baseball boners for me are "2-out rbi"

jrulz83

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 18, 2014, 11:18:36 am
Other baseball boners for me are "2-out rbi"

My personal favorite, the bases loaded 1-2-3 inning ending double play.

dhornjr1

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 18, 2014, 12:33:08 pm
My personal favorite, the bases loaded 1-2-3 inning ending double play.

The biggest 1-2-3 inning ending double play in Cardinals history:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/sutter-makes-the-case-for-the-multi-inning-closer/article_dc806e57-20ce-592b-b954-9ad81bccce8e.html

QuoteThe pitch that got Sutter to the Hall of Fame was his split-fingered pitch, and if one particular split-fingered pitch defined him, it was the one he threw Sept. 14, 1982, in the eighth inning of a game the Cardinals led at Philadelphia. The Cardinals had started the night one-half game behind the Phillies in the National League Eastern Division race, but after rookie John Stuper allowed two of the first three hitters to get on in the eighth, manager Whitey Herzog called for Sutter, which actually wasn't all that early for him.

Sutter permitted an infield single, and then threw a dive-bombing, split-fingered pitch to Mike Schmidt, who squibbed the ball to the mound. Sutter started a home-to-first double play and, after he closed out the ninth, the Cardinals had the divisional lead for good.

"That was the biggest pitch I threw all year," Sutter said.

jrulz83

Quote from: dhornjr1 on April 18, 2014, 04:00:54 pm
The biggest 1-2-3 inning ending double play in Cardinals history:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/sutter-makes-the-case-for-the-multi-inning-closer/article_dc806e57-20ce-592b-b954-9ad81bccce8e.html

That's a pretty big one. Lester started one in Game 1 of the World Series last year that was pretty big in Cardinals history for the opposite reason. What I would like to see is the routine 7-8-9 double play. That would be one to remember.

jrulz83

Dang, so close to being out of that one unscathed. The Cardinals defense has reversed roles with the Nationals tonight, it has got to get better.