Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Back From Hotter N Hell

Started by DeltaHog, August 29, 2010, 08:36:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaHog

Awesome experience. 

Friday Trail Race
Started off very well and then had a flat at the 5 mile mark.  No Pump.  Walked the bike for about 1/4 of a mile until I found someone who also had a flat.  We tag teamed both flats and then got back on the trail.  Rode about 20 feet and could tell something was wrong.  Looked and the tire wasn't on the rim well so I had to let some air out, get it back on the rim, and pump it back up.  Luckily the guy who helped was still there.  Then about a mile later I ran into someone else who had a flat so I helped him.  Pretty smooth ride after that.  Pretty flat trail with quite a few quick uphills.  Finished in 1 hour and 50 minutes.  1 hour and 20 minute of ride time.

Saturday Road Ride.  50 miles on the mountain bike.  I did have road tires on so that made it easier.  Road was pretty flat so that was good.  Made it about 26 miles before my first stop at a rest area.  And then hit everyone after that.  Haha.  They were spaced out about every 10 miles.
Coolest thing of the entire weekend was riding through the air force base.  At one point there were about 500 soldiers lined up cheering everyone on.  That was very humbling and gave me the pick me up I needed to finish.
Ride time was about 3 hours and 50 minutes.  Total time with breaks was 4 hours and 45 minutes.

There were about 13,000 people riding on Saturday.  The flyover was very cool. 

Overall a great experience for my first cycling event.  Will be back next year.
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it."   Clint Eastwood

DeltaHog

Road Ride
Accidently started my garmin so it looks like it took over 8 hours to complete.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/46735369

"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it."   Clint Eastwood

DeltaHog

TexHog188

Congrats.  I rode the 100 miler and we didn't get to go through the base.  I was kinda hoping we would.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tripod1

Didn't make it due to rehabbing from surgery.  Many from Fort Smith/Van Buren went and all reports were that they had a great time as always.  One bad thing did happen to one of our riders and my doctor. He crashed around the 10 mile mark, getting caught up in a large group crash.  He broke his wrist and collar bone.  So not a good experience for him.