Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's next in speedway football?

Started by jbcarol, September 29, 2016, 06:56:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/KyleTucker_AJC/status/781546501143138304

QuoteEddie Gossage went to the Battle at Bristol as a fan, not as the president of Texas Motor Speedway. He wanted to blend into the record crowd and find out how people really felt about the oddity that was Tennessee and Virginia Tech playing a football game at one of his Speedway Motorsports sister tracks.

"I heard nothing but over-the-top praise and excitement," he said. "It was electric. I didn't hear a single complaint, nothing but just how spectacular it was. I talked to a bunch of fans – they had no idea who I was, so I just listened to them – and they all loved it."

Right then and there, on Sept. 10, when Bristol Motor Speedway drew a crowd of 156,990, most ever to attend a football game, Gossage's wheels started turning again. Back in 2002, his track in Fort Worth pitched this same idea to Texas and Oklahoma. The Sooners, he said, were interested. The Longhorns were not.

But a lot has changed in almost a decade and a half...

Auburn-Alabama at Talladega Superspeedway, Florida-Georgia at Daytona International Speedway, Clemson-South Carolina at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Georgia-Georgia Tech at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Kentucky vs. Louisville at Kentucky Speedway in Sparta.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Mike Griffith ‏@MikeGriffith32 6h6 hours ago

Mike Griffith Retweeted Kyle Tucker

Check in with Martinsville -- short tracks are the only ones in play with realistic site-lines IMO
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net