Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dudley confirmed rumor to be true on HI

Started by JackJohnson, October 26, 2006, 07:26:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogerrific

Quote from: JFen on October 26, 2006, 09:07:03 am
You are looking at this in a "micro" sense while I am looking at the situation in a "macro" sense.  Sure, Coach Flannigan wasn't an enormous Nolan fan, but the impact that relationship had on our program and the way the rest of the people viewed in-state recruiting was very detrimental to the basketball program.  Top Tier basketball players in the state (even if they are from opposing high school teams) run around with each other.  I'm not sure if they do it anymore, but Lindsey use to put together a Top 25 Camp for basketball players in the state.  They play on the same AAU teams and end up at some of the National Camps together.  They talk about more than just PPG, etc.  They talk about coaching styles and decisions.  While Stan may be an "ok" recruiter, he hasn't earned ANY national respect.  That is what we need.
Your average basketball fan is just going to see that we lost a really good one.  Then they will put more pressure on Heath to get the in-state boys so we end up with Jason Jennings and Jason Gilbert and Justin Hankins and Preston Cranford.  (I would place money against anyone who wants to that the two Jasons would love to do that over again and take their skill sets to Oklahoma State if they could.)
The problem with all of this 'Heath sucks" stuff is simple...you just AREN'T going to get every kid you want! No matter how hard you recruit them. Some just want to go away to school, some see better options elsewhere. Whatever the reason, get over it! We are STILL recruiting some good players. They may well be as good as JA. Time will tell. But to criticize Heath's recruiting is just silly. And you never know, we may STILL get him. If not, it's a shame. I'm pretty sure we will go ahead and play our games without him.

Yo Huckleberry

Whether JA comes here or not is irrelevant since SH will still, unfortunately, be "coaching" here.

Golfer

Quote from: The Recruiting Guy on October 26, 2006, 08:11:04 am
Just talked to Coach Hammett.

James two top schools are Oklahoma State and Kansas.  Confirmed as of 8:08 CST am.  10/26/06

I hope HoopHog reads this.

jamie72921

Heath is a great recruiter?

When you can't land the once every 25 years kid from your own state, you are not a great recruiter.
Bless your heart

silvertip

Quote from: JFen on October 26, 2006, 08:51:25 am
So now we end up having a situation in Arkansas Basketball Recruiting that we had when Nolan couldn't/didn't try to get Quincy Lewis, Keith Carter, the Flannigans, or a host of other players that went elsewhere and ended up coming back and beating us senseless.  Get ready to sign a few more Preston Cranfords to keep the homers happy.
One question:  Would we be having this conversation about losing a top recruit IF we had a Bill Self?
Answer:  NO.

You are SOOOOO right about Bill Self. He got absolutely every recruit he ever went after.

silvertip

Quote from: jamie72921 on October 26, 2006, 01:18:44 pm

When you can't land the once every 25 years kid from your own state, you are not a great recruiter.

So, you're saying that JA is better than Corliss or Joe Johnson?

Pissed Pig

Quote from: JFen on October 26, 2006, 08:51:25 am
So now we end up having a situation in Arkansas Basketball Recruiting that we had when Nolan couldn't/didn't try to get Quincy Lewis, Keith Carter, the Flannigans, or a host of other players that went elsewhere and ended up coming back and beating us senseless.  Get ready to sign a few more Preston Cranfords to keep the homers happy.
One question:  Would we be having this conversation about losing a top recruit IF we had a Bill Self?
Answer:  NO.

Your right we wouldn't.  We'd be discussing the probation of our program.

pigture perfect

October 26, 2006, 01:45:26 pm #57 Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 01:46:58 pm by pigture perfect

Are you saying that JA is the best player to come from this state in 25 years? It is yet to be seen whether he is or will be better than Corliss or Joe or Ronnie. Let's just see how it plays out. Until he's signed the NLI, he's still recruitable and we still may be able to pick him up.

Good post Silvertip, we were thinking the same thing.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Cresthog

I am not exactly a Heath fan but the man can recruit. James Anderson....this thing just ended up weird. There are other recruits out there.

Greg Monroe anyone? What happens if SH pulls this kid in?

jamie72921

He is better than Brewer. Corliss would be the other once ever 10-15 years guy.

Keith Lee, then Corliss, now JA. One every 10 sorry.

I put Brewer on the Quincy Lewis level. Still very good.

The point is you can't miss these guys when they are from your own home state and expect to be a top performer.
Bless your heart

jamie72921

Quote from: silvertip on October 26, 2006, 01:34:36 pm

So, you're saying that JA is better than Corliss or Joe Johnson?

He is a better prospect. Let's not pretend Johnson, who I believe was the most talented Razorback Basketball player ever, was as highly sought after as Corliss and JA.
Bless your heart

Pissed Pig

I have a question.   Why do we want a kid that a Sun Belt conf signee shut down in the second half of the state championship?

Brooks Taylor can play.(from BIC) But I don't know if he could play at the SEC level.  And yes I know you recruit based on potential as well as talent.  But the fact remains, when Junction City and BIC met, JA scored something like 22-25 pts first half.  Taylor shut him down second half. Taylor signed with South
Alabama.  Not the power house like Fla, Kentucky, etc.

Yo Huckleberry

SH is "saving his legs" for the recruiting trail. :-\

SPAL

Quote from: Pissed Pig on October 26, 2006, 01:55:43 pm
I have a question.   Why do we want a kid that a Sun Belt conf signee shut down in the second half of the state championship?

Brooks Taylor can play.(from BIC) But I don't know if he could play at the SEC level.  And yes I know you recruit based on potential as well as talent.  But the fact remains, when Junction City and BIC met, JA scored something like 22-25 pts first half.  Taylor shut him down second half. Taylor signed with South

get back to me in about 3 or 4 years with this same argument....i think you will have a different outlook.

enwhog

At least Memfro isn't in his top 2 so it can't be about money.

Pissed Pig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 26, 2006, 02:09:10 pm
I have a question.   Why do we want a kid that a Sun Belt conf signee shut down in the second half of the state championship?

get back to me in about 3 or 4 years with this same argument....i think you will have a different outlook.

I really don't think I will.  I watch this program closely.  I think he is seeing something else.  I don't believe Heath is kissing a$$, and that upsets the boy. 

We shall see. I am not gonna get upset over this K I D.  The staff we have can evaluate and recruit, I will stipulate on the coaching at this time.  But I believe team chemistry will be better now that a coach/father is gone.

SPAL

Quote from: Pissed Pig on October 26, 2006, 02:16:40 pm

I really don't think I will.  I watch this program closely.  I think he is seeing something else.  I don't believe Heath is kissing a$$, and that upsets the boy. 

We shall see. I am not gonna get upset over this K I D.  The staff we have can evaluate and recruit, I will stipulate on the coaching at this time.  But I believe team chemistry will be better now that a coach/father is gone.

the kid is legit and will have a much better career than some dude goin to SouthBamaU...bank on it.

Pissed Pig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 26, 2006, 02:25:36 pm
Quote from: Pissed Pig on October 26, 2006, 02:16:40 pm

the kid is legit and will have a much better career than some dude goin to SouthBamaU...bank on it.

Man, you can't catch a cold, much less the point can you?  It's not about career stats, I was speaking attitude, work ethic, etc, remember Brandon Rush was hot and heavy until the flip, and the comment was made "Heath doesn't recruit knuckleheads".  The kid maybe legit.  I am tyring to point out there might just be more to this than talent. You don't have the facts, I don't have the facts.  Hell, he might be a whopping 5 on the ACT or he might be an analytical genius.

Get this, not everybody wants to be a Razorback...even kids in the state!  I know that's hard for some people, but it happens.

fu-man-soo

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on October 26, 2006, 02:05:03 pm
Quote from: jamie72921 on October 26, 2006, 01:50:17 pm
He is better than Brewer. Corliss would be the other once ever 10-15 years guy.

Keith Lee, then Corliss, now JA. One every 10 sorry.

I put Brewer on the Quincy Lewis level. Still very good.

The point is you can't miss these guys when they are from your own home state and expect to be a top performer.

Brewer on the Quincy Lewis level?  Now I know you have lost it.

brewer is twice as good as lewis

jamie72921

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on October 26, 2006, 02:05:03 pm
Quote from: jamie72921 on October 26, 2006, 01:50:17 pm

Brewer on the Quincy Lewis level?  Now I know you have lost it.

Let's see, both are drafted in about the same place by the same team.

Sounds like you have already lost it.
Bless your heart

pigture perfect

I have a question.   Why do we want a kid that a Sun Belt conf signee shut down in the second half of the state championship?

Brooks could have played in the SEC. IMO
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Jim Harris

Dudley is defending James Dickey, and that's fine. THey are longtime friends, and I've known James Dickey for a longtime too. But, facts are facts: James Dickey was on the shady Eddie Sutton staff at Kentucky that, for whatever reason, and blamed on assistant Dwayne Casey, managed to get a overnight package stuffed with $10,000 for Chris Mills to get found, leading to massive investigation and probation at UK, and James left an ugly scene at Texas Tech that Bobby Knight had to turn around too. Okie State has been loaded of late with those mystery jucos who the honest guys won't touch, and somehow became a landing spot for former Dave Bliss recruit John Lucas Jr. at Baylor and will be for his brother too.
I don't trust what is going on here at all. I just love it when a parent  goes to Stillwater and comes back so impressed. That tells me volumes, and it reminds me of football recruiting in 1972, when Stillwater became the stopping off point for two of the best defensive linemen this state will ever produce.
The topper, though, was when Ben Cowins was so upset and threated to transfer from Arkansas because he wasn't getting anything while his brother, James, had a nice new car for going to Okie State.
Now, with T. Boone Pickens owning the athletic department, maybe anything and everything is going on and OK to them.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

The real Hogules

Quote from: HoopHog on October 26, 2006, 05:50:11 pm
Quote from: The real Hogules on October 26, 2006, 09:58:06 am
Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on October 26, 2006, 08:22:22 am
Quote from: The real Hogules on October 26, 2006, 08:06:09 am
Quote from: HoopHog on October 26, 2006, 07:52:02 am
Wait a second.  Chances are this might be true, but don't use Dudley Dawson to confirm the validity of a rumor.  Let me remind you that HE was one of the spinners of the "Auburn is playing the race card" rumor in the recruiting of Kodi Burns.  He ran balls-to-the-walls with this story without EVER contacting Kodi Burns, or his family to validate this (until after the fact).  This was completely boggus, and Dudley, Otis and Chuck were just following out the company "to-do' memo of running with this rumor to try and get a recruiting leg up (yeah, THAT blew up in the U of A's face) rather than being solid investigative journalists.  Oh wait, I take great liberty to mention any of these guys and 'investigative journalism' in the same breath.  My mistake.

Let me also remind you that this guy was alsoone of the people who sang the praises of Kodi Augustus -- when he thought we snagged this recruit.  Upon realizing that we DIDN'T have this player, Dawson's on air position was 'he is over rated.'  It is amazing that many fans didn't see (then) the natural posturing of people like Dawson, Barrett and Kirk.  They are all opportunists and charlatans...and NOT valid sources for ever confirming any rumor.  But, they are damn good at starting them!

Oh...quote me on this too.  If and when James Anderson officially selects another school, watch Otis.  He will click over into pissy fan/slander mode faster than you can cuss Stan Heath under your breath.  Nevermind the  subject of his rage is an 18 year old kid...doesn't matter to 'the Jerk.'

Dudley Dawson has spoken with coach Hammett (James Anderson's basketball coach and the person quoted in the OSU article) and confirmed the news.
You just keep on believeing whatever you choose to believe, but when reality sets in we'll be here for you!

Yet you ignored 2/3 of the post that HoopHog makes.  He makes some strong points and you have no rebuttle to the screwups of the past.  Go figure.  ::)

I'm not sure which part of his novel you would like a response to, but here goes- Kodi Augustus was NEVER "snagged" by the UofA, in fact K.A's AAU coach tried to get a commitment to Kodi from Arkansas by stating in an article that Kodi had committed to Arkansas.
The ONLY problem with him committing was that NO official offer had EVER been extended!
Yes, Dudley did say that K.A. was a fine athlete, but what did you expect him to say, that Augustus sucked and had limited talent?
The kid has "potential", but no one and that includes Dudley Dawson proclaimed him the programs must get recruit.
And when the whole thing blew up and Augustus took the first offer he got after being told he has NO schollie to accept from Arkansas at this time, he accepted the first schollie offered.
Dawson just explained the events as they happened, without the sugar coating, is that wrong?
Otis and Rick are MAJOR homers, but Dudley usually has his facts straight before posting information.
And Stan Heath did NOT pass on great recruits because of James Anderson, great recruits passed on Arkansas because of James Anderson!

OH???  Does that include him jumping on the story and reporting that Augustus WAS a committment to the U of A...prematurely.  In fact, he had to correct himself...retract his "breaking story' when he bought all the "Kodi is going to commit to Arkansas' ruymnors before any of them were ever validatred.  Not that he ever validates a rumor before running with it.  He is as bad and ofter worse than Kirk.  You are living in a dream world to assume differently.

Basically, I was one of several Hog fans who called him out on the flat out boggus, yellow journalism report that Auburn was using a race card in the recruiting of Kodi Burns...to the point where he again posted a very 'left handed' and evasive retraction on his own board...going on and on about how his sources are dependable.  Yet, he never EVER answered the question on why he didn't go to the best source around - KODI BURNS!  Instead, he just wimpered about his integrity...which was clearly in question because he did not practice proper due dilligence with this story.  What he did was help the U of A run with a rumor that they wanted to float out there for some kind of leveragtfe and it blew up in their faces -- period.

He also (recently) had to retract a complete error when he reported that the whole black shirt scandal was something generated by this very board.  This very board's owner had DD removing this crap before the day ended!!!

Grow the hell up, dude!
What? Did Dudley Dawson steal your girlfriend in HS or something???
You sound like you personally are keeping a scrapbook of every "preceived" mistake that Dawson has made in his entire time covering the Hogs!!!
Let it go, we have bigger problems than Dudley Dawson stealing your prom date, JAMES FREAKING ANDERSON IS PROBABLY GOING ELSEWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hogfansince1964

Junction City is on the border with Louisiana and a long way from Fayetteville.  He may not have a lot of emotional connection with the Razorbacks.

If James Anderson goes elsewhere, I will wish him well - especially if he goes to Oklahoma State as I have liked OSU somewhat ever since Eddie Sutton went there as their head coach.

PORK CHOP

traitor i hope he is a highly recruited bust

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: bigguy551122 on October 26, 2006, 08:15:14 am
Quote from: The Recruiting Guy on October 26, 2006, 08:11:04 am
Just talked to Coach Hammett.

James two top schools are Oklahoma State and Kansas.  Confirmed as of 8:08 CST am.  10/26/06

im not worried about any of this , stan has proved he is one hell of a recruiter , what he hasnt proved is that he knows how to coach

OK, call me a HeathHugger but Stan has proven he can coach. He continually puts the Hogs in the position to win. Most of our losses the last two years have been because of shooting woes. We have been pretty strong defensively, especially last year. I think he has solved the majority of the shooting problem this year with the addition of a couple players.

On recruiting, I say if the kid wants to go to OSU then wish him the best. We need nobody here at the U of A that doesn't bleed Hog Red!

Sweet 16 and more this year, write it down.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

PORK CHOP

Quote from: HoopHog on October 26, 2006, 06:29:05 pm
Quote from: PORK CHOP on October 26, 2006, 06:20:31 pm
traitor i hope he is a highly recruited bust

I am guessing you are referring to James Anderson here?
well who is this thread about there  007

sowsmilk

None of the Burns' would fall for a race card.

razor1

Quote from: The real Hogules on October 26, 2006, 07:46:17 am
Come on now, that's utter Bullcrap and you know it!
If Stan Heath had focused on another SF the fans in our state would have crucified Heath for not going after the home state kid.
Heath spent more time with this kid than he probably did his own children and for some unknown reason Anderson thinks he'd rather play for SEAN SUTTON or Kansas???
I say don't let the screen door hit you where the good Lord split you!
AMEN!!!! NICE JOB!!!!!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Oklahawg

Two things are missing in this thread.

One, in hoops you recruit nationally to your specific needs (provided you know what they are...see item #2). If you need a power forward you go after X number of them hoping to sign the one you need. Regional loyalties are far less significant in hoops.

Two, there is a bold assumption that Heath can marry players to a system, recruits to a system, or flesh out a roster with complimentary skills. Folks, it hasn't happened yet. Maybe having Gary Ervin fall in his lap solves the PG problem. We'll see if he can flesh out the rest of the roster. (PS: don't be surprised if we have problems at the 2-3 spots this year, even with Weems, because of a lack of scoring punch inside).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hogblade

Oklahawg

Have you had a chance to see Beverly play yet this year in the Red/White Game or first practice scrimmage. He looks and acts like the most experienced player on the court, and he has the best shot of anyone as well. Patrick Beverly will take care of the 2 spot.