Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stan Heaths comment last night?

Started by Brosshog, October 12, 2006, 04:18:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Brosshog

Did anyone else see Stans interview on the local news lastnight? I could not believe it when he said that he never wants to rebuild another team. I laughed and thought, rebuild what does he mean rebuild. Does he consider what he's done here rebuilding? He got lucky last year and got us to the tournament and we lost to Bucknell for crying out loud. If this is rebuilding then we will never be considered a power house basketball team again.

Joe Davis (USS Razorback)

I can see where he is coming from.  He walked into a program in complete collapse.  I cut him slack on this comment.  I am not saying I prefer his style of basketball or his timeframe with results . . . but that is not the matter concerned in this quote.

sickboy1138

Cut the guy some slack.  His rebuilding phase was tough.  If he doesn't produce now that he has rebuilt the team to his standards then hold him accountable.  He's gone nothing but up so far.

Brosshog

I know the program was at the bottom when he took over. I'm just asking is this as far as he's going to take it? He said himself that he has rebuilt it. He should have said rebuilding, not he doesn't ever want to rebuild another program.

Anson Marlow

Quote from: TheHogDR on October 12, 2006, 04:18:22 am
Did anyone else see Stans interview on the local news lastnight? I could not believe it when he said that he never wants to rebuild another team. I laughed and thought, rebuild what does he mean rebuild. Does he consider what he's done here rebuilding? He got lucky last year and got us to the tournament and we lost to Bucknell for crying out loud. If this is rebuilding then we will never be considered a power house basketball team again.
For crying out loud, do you realize the mess the program was in when he got here?
/list]

Brand X Hog Fan

Sweet 16 minimum this year. Write it down!
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

ComeonHogs!!!

After reading the story on ErvIn. He really sounds like the PG that Stan has always wanted. Got big men now with experience. This could be a good year.
State Pride!!!

hogfan064

He hasn't rebuilt anything.  Heath continues to lose to teams with less talent like MSU, Ole Miss, and Bucknell.  Heath has the best facilities and 2nd best tradition in the SEC to work with, but we're still only a middle of the pack team.  Yeah I know he was given a mess, but that's been 5 years ago.  This year will be no better.  This is another NIT team. 

Arkansas basketball was named the #8 best program in NCAA history 2 years ago.  THere is no excuse for us not to expect NCAA tourneys every year and challenge for a NC in most years.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Stan Heath will never win a NC at Arkansas

dman

Mos of the pieces are in place; Sweet 16 here we come.

hogfan064

Quote from: dman on October 12, 2006, 07:20:56 am

I hope so, but I haven't seen a preseason publication yet that even has us in the NCAA Tourney.  Most predict NIT, which isn't exceptable. 

WestMemphisHogFan

I believe has done a pretty good job rebuilding.  IMO, he is still rebuilding, but I expect this to be really good, if not GREAT year.  I hate that we lost Ronnie, but in the long run, this may turn out to be ok because we will be forced to play more as a team, and not rely on one guy to make all of the big plays.

Tomhog™

Have we reached the top of his potential yet?  Who knows.  We are still on the way up with the basketball program.  He has yet to have a downward trend.  To laugh at his rebuilding statement is foolish.  Remember what he started with?  Now, we have the most athletic group we've had in YEARS.  Some of them are actually shooters.  And guess what?  We are in on some tof the best talent in the nation for the '08 and '09 class.  He's doing what it takes to rebuild a program.  It's just taken 5 years to get us there.

Keep in mind, it was no fluke last year that we beat Tinner and Florida in a week.  They played great at times.  It had been years since Arkansas was in the NCAA, and they were a little off in the first outing.  I was upset thinking we should have won.  But we weren't a 2 seed losing to a 15, it was a 7-8 matchup.

I'm excited about the future and Stan Heath...

Random Parsley

I'm not yet ready to comment too much on BB since I'm still in FB mode, but to me the statement was him saying he thinks he's finally got a team like he wants for THIS COMING YEAR.  The rebuilding wasn't finished with our loss to Bucknell, but by the off-season and new players coming.  Players we haven't seen yet.

I interpreted it to mean that, if this year is as successful as he hopes, from this point on he'll "reload" by adding carefully selected recruits rather than "rebuild" by desperately signing players for every position.

Is he right?  We'll get a good feel by Jan. and know for sure by Mar.

ShellHog

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Stan Heath will never win a NC at Arkansas
[/quote]

Wow!!!! Now thats going way out on a limb.....seeing how HOGS BBall has ONE National Championship in last 100 years. Wait, make that is ONE National Championship EVER!!!
Your prediction has a fairly good chance of holding up.

The real Hogules

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 12, 2006, 07:08:24 am
He hasn't rebuilt anything.  Heath continues to lose to teams with less talent like MSU, Ole Miss, and Bucknell.  Heath has the best facilities and 2nd best tradition in the SEC to work with, but we're still only a middle of the pack team.  Yeah I know he was given a mess, but that's been 5 years ago.  This year will be no better.  This is another NIT team. 

Arkansas basketball was named the #8 best program in NCAA history 2 years ago.  THere is no excuse for us not to expect NCAA tourneys every year and challenge for a NC in most years.

Nolan Richardson destroyed EVERYTHING he had EVER built at Arkansas with his mouth and his recruiting (or should I say "selecting") his last few years at the UofA.
Stan Heath has rebuilt our team from the ground up.
Don't believe it, open your eyes!
When NR left we had NO point guard to speak of, so Stan Heath comes in late and takes leftovers in Eric Ferguson and the SG that ended up transferring.
Our big men were Makubu and Sullivan, would you rather have them or our present group of bigs?
Lil Boot wasn't really even considering the UofA until Stan Heath was hired and although he never blossomed the way we had envisioned, Olu was very highly ranked.
Heath started out in a very deep hole, thanks to Richardson and if he chooses to say he's out of the rebuilding business that's just fine with me!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Inigo Montoya

This is your brain on drugs.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 12, 2006, 07:40:15 am

I hope so, but I haven't seen a preseason publication yet that even has us in the NCAA Tourney.  Most predict NIT, which isn't exceptable. 
Preseason publications are only taking one thing into account.  We lost our starting back court.  Including Ronnie Brewer.  We know that we will very likely be better in overall back court play tis season.  Brewer will be a very good pro, but he disappeared to often in big spots.  We had no other guard worth anything, so when he did, we quickly fell apart.  Our guards are much more complete players through out the depth chart this year.  We will compete for the SEC title and I think Sweet Sixteen is the least we should accept with this team.

wishyjoshy

You know, a lot of people have been saying that, but I just don't see it. 
I'm not saying that it can't and won't happen, but I am just not convinced that Fresh Legs has it to get them there.

PAHog

Each year he has won more games than the previous year.  It's been more than a decade since Arkansas was competing for a NC.  Additionally, he's also stepped up the out-of-conference opponents early in the season and kept the creampuffs to get to 20.  To say he'll never compete for a NC at Arkansas is to ignore that he did it with Kent before he got here, and did it at Michigan State before that.  You don't waltz into your 1st or even 2nd NCAA tourney and walk away with a title.  You may expect that b/c you were able to ride a bike the first time you hopped on.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

aristotle

Stan deserves some credit for rebuilding the hoops program. It's not where we want it to be yet, and it took a while longer than most had hoped, but he has us on the right track I think. One can't understate the negative effect on recruiting Nolan left us with, not to mention the lack of recruiting Nolan did the last year or two. We were in the gutter a decade after winning the NC.

HogNuttz

Quote from: TheHogDR on October 12, 2006, 06:03:07 am
I know the program was at the bottom when he took over. I'm just asking is this as far as he's going to take it? He said himself that he has rebuilt it. He should have said rebuilding, not he doesn't ever want to rebuild another program.

I think his original comment "I never want to rebuild another team" doesn't necessarily imply that he is finished with the rebuilding process, rather that a good portion of the work is done and he doesn't want to have to start from scratch again.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Random Parsley

Quote from: HogNuttz on October 12, 2006, 08:25:36 am
I think his original comment "I never want to rebuild another team" doesn't necessarily imply that he is finished with the rebuilding process, rather that a good portion of the work is done and he doesn't want to have to start from scratch again.

Yes.  +1 to you for saying what I was trying to say--more clearly and with fewer words.

HedgeDweller

I don't take it as meaning that he thinks he is through with the 'rebuilding' process, but I think this year we will see quite a bit of progress.  I think this team is going to suprise some folks. 
I know we would like for the rebuilding process to come along faster than it has, but it had a long way to come and there has been slow but steady progress each year.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: HedgeDweller on October 12, 2006, 08:29:40 am

I don't take it as meaning that he thinks he is through with the 'rebuilding' process, but I think this year we will see quite a bit of progress.  I think this team is going to suprise some folks. 
I know we would like for the rebuilding process to come along faster than it has, but it had a long way to come and there has been slow but steady progress each year.
Wow, I never thought to say this, but +1 to Hedge Dweller for saying what I am thinking.  Must be Basketball season I smell.

ProfusionalHog

Bucknell was a good team.  We could've and should've won, but they deserve some credit for an undefeated conference record and finishing 26-4 overall.  

artyhog

He is only saying what many on this board has been saying about the Hog FB team.  They do not want to hear about rebuilding the FB team.

Stan wants to get to the point that he can just reload instead of rebuild.  He has his team getting better each year.  I can not wait until the Hog FB and BB team are at that level.  I believe that they are closer than most would admit.

aristotle

It's one thing to rebuild a team after a great class graduates or goes pro. It's another thing to clean up the mess that was left when Nolan was fired. At the time, I thought the Heath hiring was proper and still do. For one thing, he was an up and commer with good recruiting power (evident from his Mich St days). Number 2, I think it was necessary to hire a black coach to counter the damage Nolan caused. By calling Arkansas athletics and Broyles racist, Nolan put that idea into the minds of a lot of black recruits and their families (there is already a stereotype about the South). As much as I hate political correctness, it had to be done to counter this low blow by Nolan. That's my opinion.

deucea729

It's rare when you can say that you beat the National Champions during the regular season.  At the end of the year last year, the Hogs showed that they are breaking out of rebuilding mode with that victory and the Tennessee victory on the road. 

I fully expect Sweet Sixteen this year as well.

The real Hogules

I think that Hurricane Nolan was more devestating to our basketball program, than Hurricane Katrina was to New Orleans!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

ReturnToDynasty?

I agree with the first post here.  I can't see how this State has accepted Stan Heath's coaching performance.  This guy actually played Dontell Jefferson, I'll never forget that.  See my signature line.

SultanofSwine

Fresh, I pretty much agree but will expound a little...

He has rebuilt the talent level of the team pretty well but my questions are is the talent he has best suited for his style and what exactly is going to be his style? His teams have been consistent in not having a real identity on either offense or defense and I don't feel like he has shown the ability to maximize the available talents potential by getting them into a system where they could play to thier strengths.

I am hopeful this team will finally show where he has been heading. We should have a strong interior with good wings and a mature point gaurd as the floor leader. Granted the knock on GE has been that he was turnover prone in a big way at Ms State but he was a very young player then. If those old habits don't resurface from trying to do too much then this may be the best assemblage of pieces Heath has had to work with. He has depth, experience and good skill at all 5 positions. If he can't win with this team, it will be squarely on his shoulders.

Gushugger

Isn't this a little petty?  Whether or not he said rebuilding or rebuild or rebuilt?  It's not like Nutt's comments about trying to move a funeral.  I'm sure he isn't under the assumption that he has accomplished all he can accomplish in the rebuilding of UA basketball.  In my line of work I basically have to build up organizations.  This is my last one.  I don't want to do it after I do this one.  But I'm not near finished with this one.  What's the problem with that?

ProfusionalHog

Quote from: ReturnToDynasty? on October 12, 2006, 08:42:53 am
I agree with the first post here.  I can't see how this State has accepted Stan Heath's coaching performance.  This guy actually played Dontell Jefferson, I'll never forget that.  See my signature line.

McCurdy's 32% FG% does not have me impressed.  If you're going to be short and white, you better shoot the ball good.  Dontell isn't known for his shooting, but still shoots WAY better than Sean.

SpareRib

I have questioned Stan's lack of fire and some of his coaching decisions, but can't question the fact that he inherited a real mess, one that wasn't going to be restored to greatness in just a couple of years.  Further, I give him credit for year to year improvement.  His wins over Tennessee and Florida and entry into the NCAA last year were real progress.  Further, I agree with the above poster re: Bucknell;  we should have won, but have given too little credit to a good Bucknell team.

This years class is the strongest yet.  Stan has proven he can bring them in.  Let's see if he can fire them up and coach them to the next level.

Pork Out :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

hog_fan

Unlike a certain football coach aleast Heath has went up each year in wins. I don't think he is the man to get us another championship, but considering how the program was when he came here he hasn't done a terrible job.

3kgthog

So we are going to replace three 1,000 pt scorers and make the Sweet 16? What makes you think that this team, which occassionally resembles a Chinese fire drill on offense, is going to have any shot of making it that far?

Melhog

We accepted it because the coach, who shall be nameless, had two straight losing seasons and Stan couldn't be fired for his performance while the other remained in place. All that being said, I think as several others have said, the cupboard was most definitely bare when Stan arrived and not a result of his own doing. It has taken longer than anyone of us would have liked to return to national prominence. I hope he succeeds this year.

Nutts and Bolts

It makes sense to me too.  by saying I never want to rebuild another team does not mean that he HAS rebuilt one.
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

Hollywood_HOGan

got lucky?

If anything we were VERY unlucky in some of those close games. Sure we created some of that but the team never gave up and WON some huge games down the stretch that got them to the dance.

enwhog

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 12, 2006, 09:00:56 am
So we are going to replace three 1,000 pt scorers and make the Sweet 16? What makes you think that this team, which occassionally resembles a Chinese fire drill on offense, is going to have any shot of making it that far?

What makes you think that with better guards and more athletic wings that this team won't look much different than his previous teams?  Guard play due to first recruiting desperation then recruiting mistakes dictated our play.  Wait till we see this team before judging.  It should look different than our recent teams.  Too many of you stereotyped Stan too early.

Beaverfever

Quote from: hog_fan on October 12, 2006, 09:00:21 am
Unlike a certain football coach aleast Heath has went up each year in wins. I don't think he is the man to get us another championship, but considering how the program was when he came here he hasn't done a terrible job.
Man this thread was doin ok until you had to bring that same old crap up.

itstrue

Remember one thing:  Everyone thought Florida was going to be bad last year because they lose all of their scoring, and the question was who was going to step up?  They couldn't possibly be good, they are all sophomores.  Well they proved that theory wrong.  I am not saying it is an NC year, I am just saying that just because you lose all your talent....ever think that could sometimes be a good thing?  While E Ferg did his job, he was not a high D-1 player, but he was solid.  Modica, same thing.  Brewer, while a great player, and a great NBA prospect, left a lot to be desired.  Especially with his consistant 7-22 shooting performances against big teams.  

Heath has done a good job rebuiliding, actually building because rebuilding would suggest that there was something to work with when he got here.  Let me anounce a few names for you.....Gomez, Lane, Eddins, Baker......not good.....those were his seniors his first year.  Ole Miss wouldn't take most of those guys, not even now.  Satchell by the end of the year, actually looked like he started developing.

Make all the comments that you want about the Bucknell game....but remember, just because you haven't heard of a team doesn't mean they aren't good.  Their starting SF, Charles Lee, was stolen from Maryland and Virginia, because he had a 32 on the ACT, and Bucknell is a very good academic institution.  Their SG was a kid who just knew how to use screens and could shoot, and their good big man was foreign, so no one really recruited him. Not saying we should have lost, but it isn't like we lost to Troy again.

Never say you expect a sweet 16.  We still aren't that point.  We should expect the tournament, and whatever happens, based off the draw, based off of a lot of circumstances, we should change our expectations for the tournaments.  

20 and 10, meaning 20 overall and 10 conf wins, that is that standard.  That and going to the dance, what happens after is mostly in the hands of the committee.

Beaverfever

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 12, 2006, 09:00:56 am
No disrespect to Ferguson, Brewer, and Modica, but all three had some pretty serious flaws as basketball players.  Even Brewer would go 15 minutes+ in game time without being seen.  I think we'll have a more cohesive unit this year.

PiggyBack

This thread is absolutely amazing!  Fire Stan Heath?  Are you kidding?  I am not accusing anyone in this thread of being a Dale supporter, but I have noticed the most pumpers are Heath haters and that amazes me.  Stan's winning percentage has increased every year he has been here despite the DEPLORABLE condition in which the oft-offended Nolan left our program.  Stan has not been blown out like, say, Dale has been in the past two years (see USC).  Aside from the obvious dissension in the team the year before last, last years team made the big dance and this year is setting up to be much better with point guard play (finally) and seasoned big men.

However, above all the issues and all the stats, the thing that impresses me most about Heath is that he take responsibility for the team.  He doesn't "wish" for good fortune so we might win ("pick up that fumble!" "a play here, a play there" blah, blah, blah).  He doesn't make excuses and try to sugar coat things ("boy, you sure can see how they (USC) put up 50 on Oklahoma.").  I just wish some would show half as much patience with Heath as they do with Dale.  Oh, and one more thing, let's not forget that Heath beat TWO ranked teams last year while Dale has beaten ONE in how many years??

To me, there is no comparison between Dale and Stan.  Heath is the better coach and the better man.
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

enwhog

Quote from: PiggyBack on October 12, 2006, 09:13:53 am
This thread is absolutely amazing!  Fire Stan Heath?  Are you kidding?  I am not accusing anyone in this thread of being a Dale supporter, but I have noticed the most pumpers are Heath haters and that amazes me.  Stan's winning percentage has increased every year he has been here despite the DEPLORABLE condition in which the oft-offended Nolan left our program.  Stan has not been blown out like, say, Dale has been in the past two years (see USC).  Aside from the obvious dissension in the team the year before last, last years team made the big dance and this year is setting up to be much better with point guard play (finally) and seasoned big men.

However, above all the issues and all the stats, the thing that impresses me most about Heath is that he take responsibility for the team.  He doesn't "wish" for good fortune so we might win ("pick up that fumble!" "a play here, a play there" blah, blah, blah).  He doesn't make excuses and try to sugar coat things ("boy, you sure can see how they (USC) put up 50 on Oklahoma.").  I just wish some would show half as much patience with Heath as they do with Dale.  Oh, and one more thing, let's not forget that Heath beat TWO ranked teams last year while Dale has beaten ONE in how many years??

To me, there is no comparison between Dale and Stan.  Heath is the better coach and the better man.

Yes, Nutt supporters are threatened by Heath.  And Heath isn't a good ole boy from LR and they don't personally know his family.  He can't claim to have loved the Hogs all his life.  Nutt is very similar to home grown players in this state in regards to homerism ie MJ, Hillis, Mitch...  An honest discussion cannot be had with some because they are so sensitive due to their personal feelings. Heath has no ties here.  And of cousre you still have the Nolan supporters.

JD Hogg

October 12, 2006, 09:42:38 am #45 Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 09:45:22 am by JD Hogg
Quote from: PiggyBack on October 12, 2006, 09:13:53 am

Exactly!!  I think that is why Heath's win total has improved year to year, he holds himself accountable for the team and his coaching decisions, unlike the football coach.  That's what I lke most about Stan Heath.  He's a good role model.

Having said that, if he has back-to-back losing seasons now, then he should be fired, and I would argue that he should be fired after one, regardless of the reasons.

ReturnToDynasty?

Quote from: ProfusionalHog on October 12, 2006, 08:57:31 am

McCurdy's 32% FG% does not have me impressed.  If you're going to be short and white, you better shoot the ball good.  Dontell isn't known for his shooting, but still shoots WAY better than Sean.

How can you judge a guy's shot when he never got to play?  Or do you think that Stan made a good decision when he put a cold McCurdy into the game to shoot the game winning free throws against LSU.  That's the worst coaching move I've ever seen at Arkansas.  You will have to try harder to convince me that Stan was justified in playing Jefferson over McCurdy. 

Brosshog

I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong at the end of the year. But I don't think we will make it to the NCAA tournament this year. In my opinion we will have a worse year than last year. And when we do then I want everyone that said Stan is a good coach to come back and tell me then.

Winner

This year is a big year for Heath.  If we regress and go to the NIT, then I think he might get the axe.  Not saying he deserves it, but clearly he doesn't enjoy favored status like the head cheerleader we have coaching the football team.  If we make the NCAA, he sticks around, and the following year could be a very special year for Arkansas basketball, especially if we get James Anderson to go along with an experienced and deep squad.  

Calling All Hogs

Please stop all the Hurricane-program devastated crap. A basketball team is not a large city that has to be rebuilt (even though New Orleans will be rebuilt in much shorter time than Stan has had with the bb team). Michigan proved a few years back that one good recruiting year can put you immediately in the National hunt again. After 3 years tops that old dog don't hunt.