Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anthracite unis

Started by iCalledThatHogBrotha!, February 25, 2018, 06:42:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Love or hate the university's recent obsession with anthracite uniforms?

Our colors have been red and white for over 100 years! We don't need gimmicks to win!
60 (27.5%)
I like flushing our traditions down the crapper.  More gray unis!
79 (36.2%)
Frito pie
79 (36.2%)

Total Members Voted: 217

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Anyone else sick of the recent obsession by the UA coaches and ADs with anthracite uniforms? Red and white has served us well for many years, generations even.  I do not get what is pushing us away from our school colors, other than adding to Nike's bottom line. They say it is a recruiting thing, but we were dead last this year in the SEC, by a long shot, so I'm not sure I buy that. Am I alone? Red and white! Hell no to anthracite!

Porkys Revenge

Tell that to the 4* recruits that love them.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Like who? Is there seriously anyone who chose UA or didn't choose UA because of gray uniforms?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on February 25, 2018, 07:33:13 pm
Like who? Is there seriously anyone who chose UA or didn't choose UA because of gray uniforms?

Is there anyone who turned us down because we are not sticking to tradition?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Porkbutt Gary

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on February 25, 2018, 07:08:35 pm

That's a bogus argument!  If better recruits choose a school base on uniform then we need to order a bunch of red and white Alabama uniforms quick!  They seem to be getting the best recruits not Nike Gray!  If a coaching staff can sell an exciting winning program we'll get the better recruits.  If a kid chooses a school because of a cool uniform he probably a fashion major not a baller!
Once a  Razorback, Always a Razorback  ... Unless you're a Nutt!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Porkbutt Gary on February 25, 2018, 07:55:25 pm
That's a bogus argument!  If better recruits choose a school base on uniform then we need to order a bunch of red and white Alabama uniforms quick!  They seem to be getting the best recruits not Nike Gray!  If a coaching staff can sell an exciting winning program we'll get the better recruits.  If a kid chooses a school because of a cool uniform he probably a fashion major not a baller!

I doubt they choose the school based on the uniform but if you guys weren't too old to have a Twitter you'd see almost every recruit posting a pic of them posing in our uniform. And a huge number of them choose the anthracite. Anyone that claims oregon's Crazy uniform didn't get them some notoriety hasn't been paying attention.

Inhogswetrust

And all the other teams around the country that also have alternate units.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Carl Lazlo

Why break tradition with dull anthracite? Do something original like printed hog hair covering the entire jersey and maybe pants. Reddish-brown like a red russian boar.  The ball would blend in perfectly. 

TPM

Not a big fan of anthracite unis.  Much BIGGER fan of WINNING.

The_Iceman

Go follow a bunch of recruiting gurus on twitter. Most of the recruits are getting pictures in the antracite. Once a year won't hurt anything. Not trying to make it permanent.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 25, 2018, 08:05:23 pm
I doubt they choose the school based on the uniform but if you guys weren't too old to have a Twitter you'd see almost every recruit posting a pic of them posing in our uniform. And a huge number of them choose the anthracite. Anyone that claims oregon's Crazy uniform didn't get them some notoriety hasn't been paying attention.

I have the Twitter tyvm, and I see Arkansas recruits posing in uniforms that look like love-children of Georgia and Rutgers. I see kids wearing helmets to the senior bowl with chrome helmets that are 0% recognizable to those of our program. With all the emphasis on branding I find it comical, if not so sad, that we botch our chances to highlight our achievements and put a recognizable image on and off the field.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on February 25, 2018, 08:10:41 pm
Why break tradition with dull anthracite? Do something original like printed hog hair covering the entire jersey and maybe pants. Reddish-brown like a red russian boar.  The ball would blend in perfectly. 

Why break the tradition of no forward passes, leather helmets. Why did they move the goal post back to the end line from the goal line, etc.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

liljo

The uniforms are the absolute, and completely least of my concerns. If the kids like 'em, slap a slobbering Hog on the helmet, and I'll yell till my voice quits.

WPS!
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

MAK_2

I dont think the coaches have anything to do with what these recruits are modeling. If I were to guess it goes something like this..coach says "hey guys next we are goin to the equipment room and you can try on WHATEVER YOU want" the recruits then walk in and "buy with their eyes" and put on uniforms THEY like..hints why in some pics on twitter you see mix and matched unis that they would never ware on the field. Coaches arent gonna tell their potential players naww man thats ugly dont do it that way....i dunno maybe im wrong im not a huge anthracite fan either but I try and think about what goes on behind the scene

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on February 25, 2018, 08:18:24 pm
I have the Twitter tyvm, and I see Arkansas recruits posing in uniforms that look like love-children of Georgia and Rutgers. I see kids wearing helmets to the senior bowl with chrome helmets that are 0% recognizable to those of our program. With all the emphasis on branding I find it comical, if not so sad, that we botch our chances to highlight our achievements and put a recognizable image on and off the field.

What achievements? 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

AHiD

I think they look sweet, personally.
My name...is Jerruh

AHiD

My name...is Jerruh

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 25, 2018, 08:41:56 pm
I think they look sweet, personally.

Yeah, they're sharp, no doubt.  So is the white helmet...Gasp.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

AHiD

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 25, 2018, 08:44:27 pm
Yeah, they're sharp, no doubt.  So is the white helmet...Gasp.

B-b-b-b-utttttftttt, muh tradition!!!! WE DID PERFECTLY FINE AS ARKANSAS CARDINALS WHY DO WE NEED TO CHANGE ANYTHING EVER
My name...is Jerruh

GoHogzzGo

Our first 2019 recruit commit used the anthracite jersey in his announcement. So yeah, clearly they like it, it helps.

Recruits don’t choose solely based on uniforms, and it also is not a crime against our tradition to use once a season.

https://twitter.com/HopperTrevis/status/967573694976528385
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on February 25, 2018, 08:56:25 pm
Our first 2019 recruit commit used the anthracite jersey in his announcement. So yeah, clearly they like it, it helps.

Recruits don't choose solely based on uniforms, and it also is not a crime against our tradition to use once a season.

https://twitter.com/HopperTrevis/status/967573694976528385

Yes, mixing up the uniform is an example of an "exciting" program to 17 yr old kids.  Especially important when you have very few achievements to sell them.  They usually don't find a 1964 NC or a 1978 Orange Bowl win over OU to be that meaningful or relevant.

Porkbutt Gary

Playing games in LR and running through the A are traditions.  This has nothing to do with tradition,  Red and White are the University colors like Red, White &Blue are our Nations colors. Anthracite IS NOT a UA color.  But clearly someone is pushing it.   If it's about what recruits like, why not get some Purple, Highlighter Yelow  Burnt Orange, or maybe even some tye die rainbow, it's no different than Nike Gray!

Hoggish1

Bama's five stars don't get to love anything other than what Nick tells them.  See how easy that is...?

jcbville

Lol at the wording for option 2. I could maybe see being that dramatic if they were replacing our traditional colors with the anthracite, but theyre not. Its one game. People like to mix it up a little. Its ok. Alex Jones is wrong, theyre not going to take the traditional colors away.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: Porkbutt Gary on February 25, 2018, 09:10:44 pm
Playing games in LR and running through the A are traditions.  This has nothing to do with tradition,  Red and White are the University colors like Red, White &Blue are our Nations colors. Anthracite IS NOT a UA color.  But clearly someone is pushing it.   If it’s about what recruits like, why not get some Purple, Highlighter Yelow  Burnt Orange, or maybe even some tye die rainbow, it’s no different than Nike Gray!

........ tye die rainbow is no different than Nike gray? I don’t know what you’re smoking but puff puff give my friend, count me in  8)
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 25, 2018, 08:27:14 pm
What achievements?

Touche.  I was really referring to things like going to the senior bowl. What good is it to have players that make the team if fans can't tell they're Razorbacks? You can only tell there's a chrome hog on the black helmet if the camera is zoomed in all the way and the sun hits at just the right angle and the other stars are aligned.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 25, 2018, 09:12:26 pm
Bama's five stars don't get to love anything other than what Nick tells them.  See how easy that is...?

Those 5 stars overlook the unit colors in return for winning national championships.  Our program these days shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with Bama.

Porkbutt Gary

Quote from: jcbville on February 25, 2018, 09:14:21 pm
Lol at the wording for option 2. I could maybe see being that dramatic if they were replacing our traditional colors with the anthracite, but theyre not. Its one game. People like to mix it up a little. Its ok. Alex Jones is wrong, theyre not going to take the traditional colors away.
Have you looked at Twitter this weekend?

Porkbutt Gary

And all they do is Win, Win, Win!

jcbville

Quote from: Porkbutt Gary on February 25, 2018, 09:16:45 pm
Have you looked at Twitter this weekend?

Indeed. Everyday.The kids love the anthracite and choose to pose in it. Not sure what to tell you. But they're still not replacing the traditional colors.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on February 25, 2018, 09:15:34 pm
Touche.  I was really referring to things like going to the senior bowl. What good is it to have players that make the team if fans can't tell they're Razorbacks? You can only tell there's a chrome hog on the black helmet if the camera is zoomed in all the way and the sun hits at just the right angle and the other stars are aligned.

Man, surely you have to admit that's a weak example.  Besides, nobody even watches that game anyway.  I get tradition, but our tradition has been mediocrity for a long time now.  Yeah, tradition!!!  Wearing an Anthricite uniform on occasion is the least of our worries.  I'm concerned about winning, and if mixing up the uni a bit generates interest, then I'm good with it.

Frankly, I'd like to see them wear all red more often and throw in the white helmet some. 

liljo

Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: liljo on February 25, 2018, 09:24:11 pm
Go Slobberin' Hogs!

Ha! I do love slobberin hog.... 🐗🐗🐗

hoghearted

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 25, 2018, 09:21:37 pm
Man, surely you have to admit that's a weak example.  Besides, nobody even watches that game anyway.  I get tradition, but our tradition has been mediocrity for a long time now.  Yeah, tradition!!!  Wearing an Anthricite uniform on occasion is the least of our worries.  I'm concerned about winning, and if mixing up the uni a bit generates interest, then I'm good with it.

Frankly, I'd like to see them wear all red more often and throw in the white helmet some.

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 25, 2018, 09:21:37 pm

I just think it fits into the whole picture of:  1.  Red and white are our colors, gray is not. And 2. If we as a university are so concerned with branding (we are), why are we doing things to diminish our brand and make us less recognizable? It makes no sense.

I agree with Porkbutt Gary - If I'm team USA I'm not going to go into battle with a red white blue and yellow flag because some soldiers like yellow better.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on February 25, 2018, 09:33:06 pm
I just think it fits into the whole picture of:  1.  Red and white are our colors, gray is not. And 2. If we as a university are so concerned with branding (we are), why are we doing things to diminish our brand and make us less recognizable? It makes no sense.

I agree with Porkbutt Gary - If I'm team USA I'm not going to go into battle with a red white blue and yellow flag because some soldiers like yellow better.

The USA example is out of context.

And our brand has been mediocrity for a long time now.  Anthracite ain't diminishing anything..

PorkRinds

Quote from: Porkbutt Gary on February 25, 2018, 09:10:44 pm
Playing games in LR and running through the A are traditions.  This has nothing to do with tradition,  Red and White are the University colors like Red, White &Blue are our Nations colors. Anthracite IS NOT a UA color.  But clearly someone is pushing it.   If it's about what recruits like, why not get some Purple, Highlighter Yelow  Burnt Orange, or maybe even some tye die rainbow, it's no different than Nike Gray!
Clearly the concept of neutral colors is lost on you.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Firstly, I don't care at all myself either way, but the responses that pertain the most douchery are the one's putting down tradition... Solid tea bagging...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Porkbutt Gary

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 25, 2018, 09:52:47 pm
Clearly the concept of neutral colors is lost on you.

It's far from Neutral if it's being promoted so vigorously !

HossHog

They can wear lime green for all I care, if it helps with recruits then sign me up. I care about winning I could care less what color uniforms the recruits take pictures in.

HossHog

Not sure if you have noticed but we aren't Bama, not even close. CCM can't put 6 championship rings on the table of the recruits table. Visits are all about having fun so let the recruits wear what they want.

colbs

Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on February 25, 2018, 09:33:06 pm

Was it breaking tradition when slobberin' Hog replaced the previous alternate logo?  IMO it is not breaking tradition if it just an alternate uniform.  To me calling the Hogs and running through A are traditions that should never change.  Other things will change over time.  The logo, shade of red, color of helmets, mascot, stadiums, and many other things have been changed over the years.

The NewEra

I like the uni's the 4* and 5* players like.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

liljo

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on February 25, 2018, 11:21:20 pm
Old People Make Noise!!!

Hit that line you Slobberin' Hogs! Whup those Tigers and pound those Dogs. Turn the Tide and raid that Grove! I smell Gamecock frying on the kitchen stove.

Wooooooooooooo Pig.

TexHog188

Uniform threads are stupid. If the Hogs emerge from the smoke wearing burnt orange, then start a thread. Otherwise, slap a hog on that helmet and get after it.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

sage_dragoon

XBox360 - SageDragoon79

Flrazrback

While not a huge Anthacite enthusiast, and lean towards the traditional colors of Cardnial and White... It isn't a bad look for game or two per season. Love the Red Chrome helmets though..

The_Iceman

More pics from recruits. They also love the all white.

ricepig