Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We are no longer in the “last 4 in”

Started by checkraiser88, February 16, 2018, 01:21:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

We are a 10 seed with 5 straight games against top 35 rpi teams

Hawg Red

Hopefully we can stay a 10 or 11 (but not in the play-in game) or jump up to a 7 seed. 8/9 seed is going to be a death sentence (most likely).

yraciv

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 16, 2018, 01:25:19 pm
Hopefully we can stay a 10 or 11 (but not in the play-in game) or jump up to a 7 seed. 8/9 seed is going to be a death sentence (most likely).

Really? I don't see a lot of difference this year in playing a 1 or 2 in the second round.

99toLife

Danny J

Quote from: yraciv on February 16, 2018, 01:32:09 pm
Really? I don't see a lot of difference this year in playing a 1 or 2 in the second round.
Yeah...you could almost throw the top 8 in a hat and make a good case for any of them to be a 1 or a 2 seed.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 16, 2018, 01:25:19 pm

I think they either play their way back up to a 8 by going 4-1, or play themselves out going 1-4.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

99toLife

Quote from: hogsanity on February 16, 2018, 01:38:51 pm
I think they either play their way back up to a 8 by going 4-1, or play themselves out going 1-4.

Scary thing is with this team that's actually true. 

code red

Our defense is going to be our death sentence lol.  Saturday is huge.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogsanity

Quote from: 99toLife on February 16, 2018, 01:52:37 pm
Scary thing is with this team that's actually true. 

I picked those two because the best thing would be going 3-2 and staying safely at a 10, so of course that won't happen. They will probably go 4-1 end up an 8 in the region with the overall tourney #1.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

Quote from: yraciv on February 16, 2018, 01:32:09 pm

Maybe I'm shell-shocked from tournaments past (UNC).

Rome26

Quote from: hogsanity on February 16, 2018, 01:59:42 pm
I picked those two because the best thing would be going 3-2 and staying safely at a 10, so of course that won't happen. They will probably go 4-1 end up an 8 in the region with the overall tourney #1.

4-1 will likely get them a 7th seed

raz1965

If the hogs  could go 5-0 would a 5 seed be ceiling?  I think 4-1 would be a leap to a 7 seed. The strange ending of a season that can go as high as a 5 or even low as the nit, but I do believe they win enough to make the tourney.

hogsanity

Quote from: raz1965 on February 16, 2018, 03:46:38 pm
If the hogs  could go 5-0 would a 5 seed be ceiling?  I think 4-1 would be a leap to a 7 seed. The strange ending of a season that can go as high as a 5 or even low as the nit, but I do believe they win enough to make the tourney.

No way they go to 5, I do not even think 5-0 plus winning the sect gets them that high. 4-1 MIGHT get them to a 7, depending on the sect. The problem is how the rpi continues to get chipped away at. The LSU & MSU losses weigh heavier each time they lose. The MN win means less as they fade into nothing. Even the OU win is not nearly as good as it was a month ago. The SC win, the OM win helped in that winning is better than losing, but they did not bump the rpi up. Really, to this point, their best win may be TN. Beating Aub would help, and beating Ky & A&M sure would not hurt.

hoglady

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 16, 2018, 02:00:35 pm
Maybe I'm shell-shocked from tournaments past (UNC).

All I know is if we get in - I hope UNC is nowhere in site for us.
Sick of drawing them every time.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogsanity

Quote from: hoglady on February 16, 2018, 03:55:18 pm

To be the man you gotta beat the man at some point.

raz1965

I do believe if the hogs won the next 5 they would be in the top 25, which should be a 5 seed, an that would be 11 wins out of the last 13, but not very likely to happen, just saying.

hogsanity

Quote from: raz1965 on February 16, 2018, 04:11:44 pm
I do believe if the hogs won the next 5 they would be in the top 25, which should be a 5 seed, an that would be 11 wins out of the last 13, but not very likely to happen, just saying.

top 25 and the tourney seeds have very little to do with each other.

raz1965

No, however would be two quality rd wins an 3 top 30 home wins. That's enough with the tourney resume already that it should be a top 5 seed.

hogsanity

Quote from: raz1965 on February 16, 2018, 04:21:59 pm
No, however would be two quality rd wins an 3 top 30 home wins. That's enough with the tourney resume already that it should be a top 5 seed.

Not going to happen, Too many teams to crawl over and too many things out of their control now. lets assume they are the 5th to last team in right now as a 10, to get to a 5 they have to move up at least 20 tourney seeds, simply not going to happen, imo.

niels_boar

February 16, 2018, 04:33:47 pm #19 Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:07:17 pm by niels_boar
Quote from: raz1965 on February 16, 2018, 03:46:38 pm

If we were to surge to 5-0, I think we would go all the way up to a #4 seed, maybe a #3.  That would include wins over a current #1 seed and four more wins over #6-#8 seeds, two on the road.  We would likely move up to a tie for second place in the SEC as well. There is so little separation right now in the at-large pool. I'm having a hard time figuring out why Bama's 17-9 is four seeds better than our 18-8.  Minnesota losing Lynch and others for Big 10 play has screwed us.  That was another top-40 win that we aren't getting credit for apparently.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hoglady on February 16, 2018, 03:55:18 pm

We need to avoid EVERY team that has a true PG!!  Much less Joel Berry...   :puke:

That's why I think we have a solid shot at KY as much as anyone else we face.  Like Hogsanity said though...some of the luster will be off that win based on what they've been doing lately, and so is the shine off a lot of our earlier wins over teams that are now falling like rocks.   :(

We gotta win games....I keep hearing that we just need to win 2 of the remaining and we're in, but I'm almost betting it's two and at least one game in the SEC tournament with how things are playing out. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

daprospecta

Quote from: hogsanity on February 16, 2018, 03:54:12 pm
No way they go to 5, I do not even think 5-0 plus winning the sect gets them that high. 4-1 MIGHT get them to a 7, depending on the sect. The problem is how the rpi continues to get chipped away at. The LSU & MSU losses weigh heavier each time they lose. The MN win means less as they fade into nothing. Even the OU win is not nearly as good as it was a month ago. The SC win, the OM win helped in that winning is better than losing, but they did not bump the rpi up. Really, to this point, their best win may be TN. Beating Aub would help, and beating Ky & A&M sure would not hurt.
If we win out and win the tourney, we might even be higher than a five seed. We might have one of the most impressive resumes in the tourney.  Let's talk just the last 5.  All top 50 victories.  We would have more top 50 victories if we won the SEC-T.  Don't kid yourself.

razorback1829

Quote from: hogsanity on February 16, 2018, 03:54:12 pm

This is what a reeeeach feels like

Randohoggie

Quote from: daprospecta on February 16, 2018, 09:22:17 pm
If we win out and win the tourney, we might even be higher than a five seed. We might have one of the most impressive resumes in the tourney.  Let's talk just the last 5.  All top 50 victories.  We would have more top 50 victories if we won the SEC-T.  Don't kid yourself.

Correct.  Would put us at, what, 26-8 with at worst a top 25 RPI and about 10 top 50 wins.

GA reddiehog

I've never read so many what if's!!!!!!!!!  Hogs finish 5-0, no way.  They will be lucky to finish 2-3.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Randohoggie on February 16, 2018, 09:44:07 pm
Correct.  Would put us at, what, 26-8 with at worst a top 25 RPI and about 10 top 50 wins.
if we win out our RPI soars to top 10, it's already around the 28-30 range
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Hog_Fink

man, espn has us as a 10 seed playing in Dallas. with Texas Tech as the #2 seed
that would be pretty epic

razorback1829

Quote from: galactivation on February 16, 2018, 11:38:32 pm
man, espn has us as a 10 seed playing in Dallas. with Texas Tech as the #2 seed
that would be pretty epic

Would take it all day. Hogs in Dallas is pure gold.

hawgfan4life

Every year posters state all these decalarative comments as fact and most are always doom and gloom.  Last year it was we had to win X number of games and beat ABC opponents.  Year before something similar.  If we win out going into the NCAA, there is no way we are only a 7 seed.  That is just comical.

Nolan's Boots

Quote from: checkraiser88 on February 16, 2018, 01:21:54 pm
We are a 10 seed with 5 straight games against top 35 rpi teams

When were we in the last four in? We slid to an 11 seed but we weren't the last four in. Whose projection are you using?
Pigs Gon Fly Today Brotha