Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well guys

Started by AHiD, February 13, 2018, 10:45:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SooieGeneris

Cautious optimism. That is my position at the present time. No "woe is me, we're jus' poor lil' ol' Arkinsaw", "what have we done hiring a guy with a losing record as a college HC?"

No predictions of "the guy is going to revolutionize CFB and go to the playoff by year 2 or win 9-10 games next fall" either.

Coach Morris is doing just fine so far, it amazes me that anyone would either anoint him or trash him at this point, before spring practice and months before an actual game. Talk about instant gratification!

The reasons I believe Morris is doing fine:

In a short amount of time to work with he convinced Billy Ferrell, LaDarrius Bishop and Nick Fulwider to sign in the early period. Ferrell was totally ignored by the previous HC, Bishop had committed to a rival due to heavy-handed tactics by the previous HC and Fulwider had been recruited earlier but had since committed to UNC.

You can say those were easy sells if you wish. However, I would ask: why were they not already committed to us if that was the case? I have seen tape of this trio and am excited about all 3.

Myles Mason, Foucha, Boyd and Alexander were not on our radar before the arrival of this staff to my knowledge, nor was Gerald an option for us.

I am impressed by a offensive minded HC picking up defensive recruits of this caliber in a short time. The defense is where our most pressing needs were. Some might say Chavis was the reason for this. Careful. The word of here by many was that Chavis could not or would not recruit..

I like that, unlike Petrino, Morris doesn't seem to think nearly 20% of the roster should be WRs. Giving that many slots to that position reduced the numbers at LB and safety in the BP era.

Morris appears to have a vision of what a great program looks like and a plan to get there. His energy and professionalism are refreshing in contrast to Captain Flipflops lounging around in his office listening to reggae, falling asleep in meetings, etc.

Bielema was emotional, but appeared to have no fire whatsoever, as if the pilot light was snuffed out when he got the big payday if he ever had one burning to start with.

I definitely won't miss taking 2-3 time outs to the locker room at halftime most games when using them could have resulted in another chance to score points.

I won't miss playing the 2nd half with no adjustments to the original game plan, no matter what :puke:

Only time will tell what kind of HC Morris will be. It will take games to figure that out. If he makes some of the same boneheaded decisions as the last guy and just takes the "don't do something, just stand there!" approach, my patience will wear out quickly.

I don't think we will see that with CM or that dumbfounded Beavis and Butthead look on the sideline like he had no idea what just happened or how to keep it from happening again.

Players whether they be HS, college or pro, look to their coaches, the HC mainly, for leadership in times of crisis or chaos. What they and we have gotten the last 6 years is that look, head scratching or arguing incessantly with officials.

I don't know that Johnell couldn't have won 11 SEC games in the last 5 years. I like where we are with this staff so far but we won't know until we see a decent sample size in terms of games..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Vantage 8 dude

February 17, 2018, 03:16:44 pm #101 Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:50:05 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: SooieGeneris on February 17, 2018, 02:51:02 pm
Cautious optimism. That is my position at the present time. No "woe is me, we're jus' poor lil' ol' Arkinsaw", "what have we done hiring a guy with a losing record as a college HC?"

No predictions of "the guy is going to revolutionize CFB and go to the playoff by year 2 or win 9-10 games next fall" either.

Coach Morris is doing just fine so far, it amazes me that anyone would either anoint him or trash him at this point, before spring practice and months before an actual game. Talk about instant gratification!

In a short amount of time to work with he convinced Billy Ferrell, LaDarrius Bishop and Nick Fulwider to sign in the early period. Ferrell was totally ignored by the previous HC, Bishop had committed to a rival due to heavy-handed tactics by the previous HC and Fulwider had been recruited earlier but had since committed to UNC.

You can say those were easy sells if you wish. However, I would ask: why were they not already committed to us if that was the case? I have seen tape of this trio and am excited about all 3.

Myles Mason, Foucha, Boyd and Alexander were not on our radar before the arrival of this staff to my knowledge, nor was Gerald an option for us.

I am impressed by a offensive minded HC picking up defensive recruits of this caliber in a short time. The defense is where our most pressing needs were. Some might say Chavis was the reason for this. Careful. The word of here by many was that Chavis could not or would not recruit..

I like that, unlike Petrino, Morris doesn't seem to think nearly 20% of the roster should be WRs. Giving that many slots to that position reduced the numbers at LB and safety in the BP era.

Morris appears to have a vision of what a great program looks like and a plan to get there. His energy and professionalism are refreshing in contrast to Captain Flipflops lounging around in his office listening to reggae, falling asleep in meetings, etc.

Bielema was emotional, but appeared to have no fire whatsoever, as if the pilot light was snuffed out when he got the big payday if he ever had one burning to start with.

I definitely won't miss taking 2-3 time outs to the locker room at halftime most games when using them could have resulted in another chance to score points.

I won't miss playing the 2nd half with no adjustments to the original game plan, no matter what :puke:

Only time will tell what kind of HC Morris will be. It will take games to figure that out. If he makes some of the same boneheaded decisions as the last guy and just takes the "don't do something, just stand there!" approach, my patience will wear out quickly.

I don't think we will see that with CM or that dumbfounded Beavis and Butthead look on the sideline like he had no idea what just happened or how to keep it from happening again.

Players whether they be HS, college or pro, look to their coaches, the HC mainly, for leadership in times of crisis or chaos. What they and we have gotten the last 6 years is that look, head scratching or arguing incessantly with officials.

I don't know that Johnell couldn't have won 11 SEC games in the last 5 years. I like where we are with this staff so far but we won't know until we see a decent sample size in terms of games..
Thanks for expressing my own beliefs and sentiments far better than I. Amazing that SOME would actually judge this guy, one way or the other, before he's even coached a game. All I hear is "well......look at the fact he didn't have a winning record in TWO YEARS at SMU". Well, duh.....it was merely a couple/ three years after the whole program had practically been placed in the trash dump by the former HC AND, as been pointed out many, many times, as nice a school as SMOOOOOOOO.... might be, it ain't exactly recruiting nirvana. So....let's sit back, at least give the guy an legitimate opportunity to see if he can get the job done. Would remind folks of two things: first of all, our previous HC actually had a winning record along with three Rose Bowls and couldn't get the job done-anyone mentioned previous HC records ???- and IF Chad can't produce given a reasonable time I suspect both the rope and the lynching mob will most certainly be lurking to take matters into their own hands.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 17, 2018, 03:16:44 pm
Thanks for expressing my own beliefs and sentiments far better than I. Amazing that SOME would actually judge this guy, one way or the other, before he's even coached a game. All I hear is "well......look at the fact he didn't have a winning record in TWO YEARS at SMU". Well, duh.....it was merely two years after the whole program had practically been placed in the trash dump by the former HC AND, as been pointed out many, many times, as nice a school as SMOOOOOOOO.... might be, it ain't exactly recruiting nirvana. So....let's sit back, at least give the guy an legitimate opportunity to see if he can get the job done. Would remind folks of two things: first of all, our previous HC actually had a winning record along with three Rose Bowls and couldn't get the job done-anyone mentioned previous HC records ???- and IF Chad can't produce given a reasonable time I suspect both the rope and the lynching mob will most certainly be lurking to take matters into their own hands.

Good post. Heck there are some on here that wouldn't be happy if we had hired Nick Saban. They would have come up with something negative no matter what.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LawyerHog50

Lots of rah rah and excitement here but at the end of the day he is still 13-22. Lots to prove but he's done everything right so far.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

The NewEra

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on February 18, 2018, 07:46:39 am
Lots of rah rah and excitement here but at the end of the day he is still 13-22. Lots to prove but he's done everything right so far.

Given that he hasn't coached one game yet, he's 0-0 at Arkansas.  I don't have the same issues with rah rah and excitement some on here do.  I actually think it's a positive thing for the program.  Exactly when has it become a bad thing to be positive on a Razorback Fan message board?

liljo

Quote from: The NewEra on February 18, 2018, 07:57:16 am
Given that he hasn't coached one game yet, he's 0-0 at Arkansas.  I don't have the same issues with rah rah and excitement some on here do.  I actually think it's a positive thing for the program.  Exactly when has it become a bad thing to be positive on a Razorback Fan message board?
+1

When has it become a bad thing to be a positive Razorback fan, period?

I don't have to wait until we win. I don't have to 'withhold judgement' until we are contending in the SEC-W. I can go ahead and enjoy watching the steps toward the goals as they unfold. I can celebrate each recruit. I can enjoy every tidbit of news from workouts. Can't wait for spring practice to start so there will be more updates. I will definitely enjoy the Spring Red-White game in which I can see the kids in person.

There is a ton of positivity here, but there is also a whole lot of people who I think would complain if we lost the NC by a 66-yard FG in the last second. They would be criticizing every mistake the Hogs made the entire game. And if the Hogs won, they'd be hollering that the West was down that year, and that we were probably the weakest champs ever.

So to ---- with those kinds of fans. If this staff went 8-4, 9-3, 10-2, and 11-1, then had a 9-3 team again, there are people here that would be 'here we go again' and want the coach fired.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

MuskogeeHogFan

February 18, 2018, 10:13:00 am #106 Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:48:46 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 18, 2018, 07:19:22 am
Good post. Heck there are some on here that wouldn't be happy if we had hired Nick Saban. They would have come up with something negative no matter what.

The good news is that Morris will inherit more talent than Bielema did. If you look at our average "stars" recruited from 2012-2017 we come in at an average of 3.18 per player.

Bielema's first class (2013) was a dismal 3.04. In 2014 it moved up to 3.12. In 2015 it moved up to 3.28 and in 2016 we moved up again to 3.32. Now in 2017 due to mis-utilizing talent and a dismal end to the season, along with the call for change picking up momentum due to the end of the 2016 season, the 2017 class fell back to 3.12. Still, the 2015 and 2016 classes were and should be, an asset to Morris.

With a staff change and a brief period to recruit and a much smaller class for 2018, Morris was able to salvage a class that averages 3.12. Contrast that to Bielema's first class that I mentioned above that came in a 3.04, and that was with a full class of 25 players.

Morris is already off to a better start than Bielema produced and with better overall talent on the team he inherited. He is working the team hard and emphasizing a focus on the small things, the details, that can make the difference between success and failure.

It's difficult to say what we will see the first year out of the chutes because he has to take Bielema's players and transition them to his style of play. Hopefully we will see a team that plays hard for a full 60 minutes and doesn't get their dobber down at the first signs of adversity. That alone should improve several outcomes during the 2018 season and hopefully, that will give everyone more hope for the future.
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Quote from: liljo on February 18, 2018, 08:49:48 am
+1

When has it become a bad thing to be a positive Razorback fan, period?

I don't have to wait until we win. I don't have to 'withhold judgement' until we are contending in the SEC-W. I can go ahead and enjoy watching the steps toward the goals as they unfold. I can celebrate each recruit. I can enjoy every tidbit of news from workouts. Can't wait for spring practice to start so there will be more updates. I will definitely enjoy the Spring Red-White game in which I can see the kids in person.

There is a ton of positivity here, but there is also a whole lot of people who I think would complain if we lost the NC by a 66-yard FG in the last second. They would be criticizing every mistake the Hogs made the entire game. And if the Hogs won, they'd be hollering that the West was down that year, and that we were probably the weakest champs ever.

So to ---- with those kinds of fans. If this staff went 8-4, 9-3, 10-2, and 11-1, then had a 9-3 team again, there are people here that would be 'here we go again' and want the coach fired.

I don't even know you, but your post history tells me you are much like me in your approach to life.  I wake every day looking forward to the challenges and I appreciate whatever beauty nature presents me.  I want to savor every minute of what may turn out to be a program turn around, just as I did the beginning of the Nutt, Petrino and Bielema era's.  I would be miserable having to wait three to five years before I allowed myself to get excited about the Razorbacks, in any sport.  I love the program that much.  If things don't work out, I've lost nothing and enjoyed a good bit along the way.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 18, 2018, 10:13:00 am
The good news is that Morris will inherit more talent than Bielema did. If you look at our average "stars" recruited from 2012-2017 we come in at an average of 3.18 per player.

Bielema's first class (2013) was a dismal 3.04. In 2014 it moved up to 3.12. In 2015 it moved up to 3.28 and in 2016 we moved up again to 3.32. Now in 2017 due to mis-utilizing talent and a dismal end to the season, along with the call for change picking up momentum due to the end of the 2016 season, the 2017 class fell back to 3.12. Still, the 2015 and 2016 classes were and should be, an asset to Morris.

With a staff change and a brief period to recruit and a much smaller class for 2018, Morris was able to salvage a class that averages 3.12. Contrast that to Bielema's first class that I mentioned above that came in a 3.04, and that was with a full class of 25 players.

Morris is already off to a better start than Bielema produced and with better overall talent on the team he inherited. He is working the team hard and emphasizing a focus on the small things, the details, that can make the difference between success and failure.

It's difficult to say what we will see the first year out of the chutes because he has to take Bielema's players and transition them to his style of play. Hopefully we will see a team that plays hard for a full 60 minutes and doesn't get their dobber down at the first signs of adversity. That alone should improve several outcomes during the 2018 season and hopefully, that will give everyone more hope for the future.

I agree with you on what Morris is inheriting.  What makes me incredibly excited is Morris' high school experience and record.  As he has mentioned.  High School coaches have to adjust every year to the talent they have on hand at that time.  I know he'll do that here as well.  The man went to six championship games and his teams won three of them.  Watching this process should be a lot of fun.  I also think we have a better group of teachers across the board than we've had in, well, possibly forever.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on February 18, 2018, 07:46:39 am
Might want to go back and actually read some of the posts on here. MOST I've read merely express optimism and enthusiasm over the POTENTIAL of the hire. I honestly haven't read anyone who thinks that CMM is going to bring us a SECC in his first year; however, many of us DO have some belief that he just MIGHT be able to begin turning the program around. And we're not going to rely on his high school coaching record, his performance as OC at Clemson, or his two years as HC at SMU to determine our outlook. A lot of the factors that led him to his performances in the past have changed with his hiring on the Hill. He will clearly succeed or not on his own merit as HC of the Hogs.

liljo

Quote from: The NewEra on February 18, 2018, 11:03:34 am
I don't even know you, but your post history tells me you are much like me in your approach to life.  I wake every day looking forward to the challenges and I appreciate whatever beauty nature presents me.  I want to savor every minute of what may turn out to be a program turn around, just as I did the beginning of the Nutt, Petrino and Bielema era's.  I would be miserable having to wait three to five years before I allowed myself to get excited about the Razorbacks, in any sport.  I love the program that much.  If things don't work out, I've lost nothing and enjoyed a good bit along the way.

I agree with you on what Morris is inheriting.  What makes me incredibly excited is Morris' high school experience and record.  As he has mentioned.  High School coaches have to adjust every year to the talent they have on hand at that time.  I know he'll do that here as well.  The man went to six championship games and his teams won three of them.  Watching this process should be a lot of fun.  I also think we have a better group of teachers across the board than we've had in, well, possibly forever.

Well, NE, maybe we can meet up at the R-W game. i'd be proud to meet some sure-nuff Hog Hollerin' Arkansas Razorbacks fans like yourself. The kind that will be patient and positive, and root for this team Right Now, ever hopeful that this staff will put together something magical--and fully convinced that it CAN happen. Folks that fully support a staff and players that give 100%, no matter what the W-L record is. I was always taught that all that was expected of me was my Best. I appreciate Effort. 

Arkansas Razorbacks: Hardest Working Team in America. The staff is showing it Right Now.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooo PIG Soueee! Go Hogs!
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

rude1

I like that we got back on track to what was shown to be able to work here, innovative offense. Really like the hire once I learned who and what CCM was all about. Now everyone knows the at the end of the day the true test comes with the product on the field, and after a long wait, I am finally excited to see what the product will look like on the field.

MuskogeeHogFan

The difference in this case is that the schools he will face in the SEC have a lot more control over the talent that they have on their teams than HS coaching staffs tend to have, most of the time. That alone, at the HS level, is a greater equalizer.

Morris and his staff are going to have to be tremendous evaluators and developers of talent because while we will certainly need to get a bigger share of the 4 star variety of players, they will also need to be able to develop 3 star players (our bread and butter for the most part) and scheme effectively against the toughest competition in the country to give those players an opportunity to have better success than we have seen the last 5 years on average.

I think they are going to have to focus on getting more 4 star talent. Undervalued 3 stars are a must (guys who are really 4 star players but haven't received the attention and publicity of their higher ranked peers), but we can't go to the lower end of the 3 stars, with few exceptions.

Just in the SEC West you see the teams who regularly compete (5 stars aside) having a lot of 4 star players. People can say player rankings and stars don't matter, but isn't it odd that the better teams seem to have more of these players than others?

2012-2017
                    4 stars          3 stars
ALA                  89                36
LSU                  89                50
AUB                  66                66
A&M                 53                80
OlM                  37                92
ARK                  30               111
MSU                 26               113

It's not impossible to win more than we have with less talent. Dan Mullen managed to do it from 2014-2017. And it is also possible to win less than a school should, even with more talent. Look at A&M. LSU and Auburn are fine examples of this.

I hope that Morris is as good as we think he can be. I'm looking forward to seeing what spring practice and the fall of 2018 brings to the table.
Go Hogs Go!

oldhawg

February 18, 2018, 12:06:37 pm #112 Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:29:03 pm by oldhawg
IMO Morris has the ability and intangibles to be a highly successful coach at Arkansas.  It is easy enough to look at his losing performance and record at SMU, and base your early opinions of the man based solely on that, even though he did show progress each year.  However a little investigative time and effort reveals that the man has a strong work ethic, appears to set high standards and expect his subordinates to strive for the same standards he has, has an eye for talent, is a good communicator, and possess intangibles that many successful leaders have. 

Looking forward to next season.   

A few "facts" about successful coaches that started off slowly:

Ken Hatfield:   26-32-1 at Air Force Academy
            55-17-1 at Arkansas (Razorbacks all-time winningest coach by percentage)

Lou Holtz:         13-20 at William and Mary
              33-12-3 at North Carolina State

Ken Ferentz:    12-21 at Maine
            143-97 at Iowa

Gene Chizik      5-19 at Iowa State
             33-19 at Auburn

Bill Snyder       18-26 his first four years at Kansas State
             192-84 since then

Barry Alvarez   11-22 his first three years at Wisconsin
            108-52-4 after that

Frank Beamer  24-40-2 his first six years at Virginia Tech
            214-81 since then 

The point being that early coaching records, viewed by themselves, are not always a good barometer to measure the effectiveness and potential of a coach.  Again, IMO, Morris is going to pleasantly surprise some of his critics.     

Vantage 8 dude

Want to bring up one fact that needs to be repeated. It has to do with CMM's record at SMU. While we can debate back and forth whether or not this is an appropriate indicator as to his abilities and likelihood (or not) of success, the real fact of the matter is none of us knows for certain. I cite one glaring fact when it comes to records as HC's as to whether or not they serve as a totally accurate barometer when it comes to future records. One Bret Bielema and his record at U of Wisconsin. Anyone remember what it was while he was in Madison? Anyone recall that he actually led his team to three Rose Bowls (although losing all of them)? Yes, different conference, different competition. However, the point still stands that based MERELY on his record most, including me, initially thought it was a great hire because he had already proven it playing "big boy" teams.

On the opposite end of the spectrum was Gene Chezik at Iowa State. Anyone remember his overall record before he was hired at Awbarn? Anyone remember what he did not too long after he took over the head guy's position down on the Plains? While he eventually "flamed out" there, for a short period he actually had some very good success.

The point being that NONE of us knows for sure what CMM can/can't do. Will he be a total "wash out", who the heck knows? On the other hand, can he actually turn this program around and begin putting the fear of the unrighteous back into the hearts of many of our opponents? Again, no one knows. However, from just the limited amount of what I've seen of the man I feel there are most certainly some positive signs: appears to have assembled a pretty good staff, obviously exemplifies a TON of enthusiasm, a LOT of energy (both on the recruiting trail and interaction with the team), an obvious desire to learn all he can about the history and passion of the program, a desire to build/rebuild relationships with fans and coaches and positive relationships with many high school head coaches in Texas and elsewhere.

So in the end while it's fine to take a "show me" approach to these new hires (as we all should), at least give the man a chance to see what he can do. Don't form judgements merely based on what he's done in the past. BTW IF your "main guy" didn't happen to be named as the HC, don't let that fact cloud either your judgement.

oldhawg did a great job of pointing out a number of other HCs who turned early struggles into eventual success. So it most certainly CAN be done under the right guy and right circumstances.

PygmalionEffect2

Quote from: hogcards on February 14, 2018, 09:25:14 am
If he's semi successful (7-9 wins per year) he'll be looked on favorably.  I do think we've learned our lesson, both as a school and fan base, not to wait 3 years in order to admit what we have.  If he doesn't turn this around big time, he'll be gone in 3 years, not 5.

I see you're about as insightful in football as you are in politics.

At least you're consistent.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on February 18, 2018, 08:43:19 pm
And to solidify my point....thanks for this post. It aint the x's and o's, it's the jimmies and joes. He may be a great coach, but he has bottom tier talent for the sec. He is not going to win in the immediate future. He will make a bowl game this year based on a softer than normal schedule, but let's be honest....we haven't won a conference title in 29 years, and we've had several coaches. They have to recruit better.
No kidding ??? :o ::) BTW can we also assume that you just might agree that based on some of the coaches listed perviously that just because CMM struggled at SMU doesn't automatically doom him to failure on the Hill. Obviously a few think so.

Porkerpower

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on February 14, 2018, 08:19:52 am
that they will be fired in 5 years. that they recruited the bottom class in the SEC. That hogville will tell you its a great class. That in 4-5 years when we are winning 6-8 games and everyone is mad and cant figure out why we aren't winning. Because according to hogville, stars dint matter....except in reality, where the teams with the best recruiting classes play for championships, and the hogs struggle to bowl eligibility.
Although I'm hopeful and like CM approach to coaching and recruiting, you can't blame a fan for expressing his frustrations.  Might not agree with him, I don't, but I don't blame him for being a little leery.

I think it takes a creative style offense to work here right now anyway.  I also think it's crazy to judge him on this recruiting class.  I believe Chavis is the biggest thing to happen to Arkansas since Bobby P. was hired.

But anyway, give bigpimpen a break.

DLUXHOG

Do any of y'all realize what a dumpster, bat shat crazy, condition that SMU was and has been in since the death penalty, over 30 years ago?   They will never recover from what the NCAA did to them, even if Tom Landry or Vince Lombardi were their coach.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

j-mann

he is not vance  joseph   

coach morris  shouild  do well  but it will be 2021 before we can judge it   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

PigPusher

Quote from: oldhawg on February 18, 2018, 12:06:37 pm
IMO Morris has the ability and intangibles to be a highly successful coach at Arkansas.  It is easy enough to look at his losing performance and record at SMU, and base your early opinions of the man based solely on that, even though he did show progress each year.  However a little investigative time and effort reveals that the man has a strong work ethic, appears to set high standards and expect his subordinates to strive for the same standards he has, has an eye for talent, is a good communicator, and possess intangibles that many successful leaders have. 

Looking forward to next season.   

A few "facts" about successful coaches that started off slowly:

Ken Hatfield:   26-32-1 at Air Force Academy
            55-17-1 at Arkansas (Razorbacks all-time winningest coach by percentage)

Lou Holtz:         13-20 at William and Mary
              33-12-3 at North Carolina State

Ken Ferentz:    12-21 at Maine
            143-97 at Iowa

Gene Chizik      5-19 at Iowa State
             33-19 at Auburn

Bill Snyder       18-26 his first four years at Kansas State
             192-84 since then

Barry Alvarez   11-22 his first three years at Wisconsin
            108-52-4 after that

Frank Beamer  24-40-2 his first six years at Virginia Tech
            214-81 since then 

The point being that early coaching records, viewed by themselves, are not always a good barometer to measure the effectiveness and potential of a coach.  Again, IMO, Morris is going to pleasantly surprise some of his critics.     

It would be good to include Frank Broyles on your list. In 1958 I believe he lost the first 5 games prior to him righting his ship. It was a slow process that culminated in a NC in 1964. Then in 1065 he barely nearly repeated that rare accomplishment.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Pork Twain

It is like a steak in the display at a fancy restaurant.  It looks really good but it is hard to say for sure until it is even cooked.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 14, 2018, 05:34:23 pm
I was being objective.  That's why i smell a rat. Do you not smell it?

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 17, 2018, 10:51:03 am
Really ;) ??? Go back and reread (if you even bothered to do so the first time around) the definition of "objectivity". If so you'll clearly see there's not an objective bone in your body. You epitomize the phrase "Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's made up?. BTW since you're obviously the president of the "Conspiracy Club of America" where did you get these indisputable "facts" as it applies to CMM's hiring and Jerry Jones' (supposed) meddling? Sit in on the negotiations did you ??? ::) :o

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PigPusher on February 19, 2018, 12:24:17 am
It would be good to include Frank Broyles on your list. In 1958 I believe he lost the first 5 games prior to him righting his ship. It was a slow process that culminated in a NC in 1964. Then in 1065 he barely nearly repeated that rare accomplishment.

This is the Hog displayed on the Helmets in 1065
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

wildhogman

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 19, 2018, 05:05:12 am
This is the Hog displayed on the Helmets in 1065

Coat of arms for our jousting pigs?  Thanks for the laugh

Al Boarland

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 18, 2018, 09:19:31 pm
Do any of y'all realize what a dumpster, bat shat crazy, condition that SMU was and has been in since the death penalty, over 30 years ago?   They will never recover from what the NCAA did to them, even if Tom Landry or Vince Lombardi were their coach.....

What kind of shape would you say the program was in when CBB took over?  What were the early results?

The NewEra

This conversation keeps going back to recruiting, and recruiting 4* and 5* talent.

So far this staff has offered 116 recruits that I could count.  Here is the makeup of the offers and how those players are rated today on Rivals:

5 - 5* / 66 - 4* / 41 - 3* and 4  / 2* or below.

No one knows who we will land, but this staff is certainly targeting recruits that can change the talent level. 

I took the information below from Muskogee's previous post on this thread.  It's worth noting to look at how some teams outperformed others with more 4 * and 5* talent on their team.  So, Morris needs to recruit better than we have in the past, but he also needs to coach the team better than the past to get us to where we need to go.  On both of those categories I have a high level of confidence Morris can get the job done.

I'll go out on a limb and predict we land eight or more players rated 4* or better from Rivals in the 2019 class.  I would suggest a person is not paying close attention if they don't think this staff is full of exceptional recruiters and relationship builders.

From Muskogee:

Just in the SEC West you see the teams who regularly compete (5 stars aside) having a lot of 4 star players. People can say player rankings and stars don't matter, but isn't it odd that the better teams seem to have more of these players than others?

2012-2017
                    4 stars          3 stars

It's not impossible to win more than we have with less talent. Dan Mullen managed to do it from 2014-2017. And it is also possible to win less than a school should, even with more talent. Look at A&M. LSU and Auburn are fine examples of this.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: The NewEra on February 19, 2018, 10:31:39 am
This conversation keeps going back to recruiting, and recruiting 4* and 5* talent.

So far this staff has offered 116 recruits that I could count.  Here is the makeup of the offers and how those players are rated today on Rivals:

5 - 5* / 66 - 4* / 41 - 3* and 4  / 2* or below.

No one knows who we will land, but this staff is certainly targeting recruits that can change the talent level. 

I took the information below from Muskogee's previous post on this thread.  It's worth noting to look at how some teams outperformed others with more 4 * and 5* talent on their team.  So, Morris needs to recruit better than we have in the past, but he also needs to coach the team better than the past to get us to where we need to go.  On both of those categories I have a high level of confidence Morris can get the job done.

I'll go out on a limb and predict we land eight or more players rated 4* or better from Rivals in the 2019 class.  I would suggest a person is not paying close attention if they don't think this staff is full of exceptional recruiters and relationship builders.

From Muskogee:

2012-2017
                    4 stars          3 stars

I'm convinced that so many tend to overlook the aspect of coaching up whatever talent a team possesses that can make a critical difference. NO DOUBT HAVING MORE TALENT IS PREFERABLE TO HAVING LESS (duh); however, it's also what you DO with the talent that can also make a HUGE difference. Absolutely MSU under Mullen is a prime example of that.

Unfortunately in our own case far too often we either squandered/misused the talent we had and/or we didn't develop the player's abilities they had. No doubt we're going to need to up our game when it comes to talent; however, in our position it's going to be just as critical to do a far better job of developing the kids once they get on campus and properly utilize them on the field.

The NewEra

+1 Vantage  I couldn't agree more.

jabberjawls

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 18, 2018, 09:19:31 pm
June Jones says hi.  (4 consecutive bowl games) But keep lying to everyone, that makes you feel better, i know.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 19, 2018, 03:24:30 pm
June Jones says hi.  (4 consecutive bowl games) But keep lying to everyone, that makes you feel better, i know.
Well since you're a strictly "stick to the facts and only the facts kinda guy" and don't let your being "butt hurt" over neither of your two choices for HC being selected get in the way of your schtick, how about Jones finishing up 5-7 in 2013 and quitting early in the 2014 season after starting 0-2, with an overall record of 36-43 (45.6%) ??? :o ::) Think that exactly left Morris with a TON of talent or momentum coming into his own tenure which went 2-10, 5-7 and 7-6? Then again, I suspect you more than already knew that. It merely didn't fit into your preconceived scenario.  :'( :'(

elviscat

Home run hire. He will be very competitive in a short period time. We will now have a chance to get good football players from Texas, it's been a long time coming.

jabberjawls

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 19, 2018, 03:43:22 pm
Well since you're a strictly "stick to the facts and only the facts kinda guy" and don't let your being "butt hurt" over neither of your two choices for HC being selected get in the way of your schtick, how about Jones finishing up 5-7 in 2013 and quitting early in the 2014 season after starting 0-2, with an overall record of 36-43 (45.6%) ??? :o ::) Think that exactly left Morris with a TON of talent or momentum coming into his own tenure which went 2-10, 5-7 and 7-6? Then again, I suspect you more than already knew that. It merely didn't fit into your preconceived scenario.  :'( :'(
Dude you need to get a life.   You might want to go back an reread the other guys post.  He said SMU never recovered.  That's okay you guys spin whatever you want to spin.   You are like politicians who lie, lie, lie and expect people not to actually do some research and catch the lies.  I will continue to expose these lies when i have time.  Unlike you, i have a life other than Hogville.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 19, 2018, 04:09:10 pm
Dude you need to get a life.   You might want to go back an reread the other guys post.  He said SMU never recovered.  That's okay you guys spin whatever you want to spin.   You are like politicians who lie, lie, lie and expect people not to actually do some research and catch the lies.  I will continue to expose these lies when i have time.  Unlike you, i have a life other than Hogville.
...And Stay Down!!!

oldhawg

Not sure what your point is anymore other than you don't like the Morris hire?  Losing record and mediocre recruiting records at SMU?  The numbers do speak for themselves, but some people see steady improvement in the won - lost record, and mitigating factors in the recruiting statistics.  While less obvious, some people see very positive character and leadership traits exhibited by Morris.  You have made your opinion abundantly clear, and it is certainly an opinion you are entitled to, just as others are entitled to theirs. 

Argument just for arguments sake?  Well I guess you have come to the right place.

One thing for sure, within three years everyone will know whether or not Morris was a good choice to lead the Razorback football program.  Someone will be able to say, "I told you so."  And others can willingly, or reluctantly, "eat crow."

Vantage 8 dude

February 19, 2018, 04:56:17 pm #134 Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:08:35 pm by Vantage 8 dude
First of all, you know absolutely nothing, nada, zero, nyet, zippo about my personal life. And personally that makes me feel very, very good. Thank the Lord you don't.

Secondly, I really have to laugh at your proclamation that you're practically the only one who does any research on here. Duh, where do you think my INCONVENIENT facts about June Jones' SMU came from. Sorry, didn't make those up. Just merely googled the subject and there is was in black and white. However, as it again doesn't fit your preconceived nature you're the very person you claim to hate-politicans who claim things that aren't or at least distort the truth.

Thirdly, you've admitted that you wanted either Norvell or little Kiffin as our next HC. Not saying they won't have been legitimate choices. However, unlike you I preferred to leave it to the folks who know best. Which brings me to one final subject.

You've alleged on several occasions that Jerry Jones' friendship with CMM practically forced the BOT and the new AD to hire Chad. I honestly don't know anything about that; however, I should bow to your innate sense of fairness and open mindedness. The only thing that's stopping me from doing so, however, is a conversation I happened to have will ole "Jerr (we long time buddies can call him that) down in Dallas over the weekend. When the subject came up about Morris, ole
"Jonsie" (another best "bud moniker) just laughed and laughed and said "Yeah, I sure pulled a fast one over on all those yokels up there on the Hill. That is except that pesky 'truth-and-justice' jabberjawls. He's the only guy I can't fool". I went to say that somehow you had the real "scoop" when nobody else did. When I asked JJ (yet another nickname) whether or not "truth-and-justice" might have actually somehow had access to the NSA/CIA double secret meeting on the hiring Jerry replied "Gosh, I don't know. Since it was held in my personal fallout bunker I can't imagine he did. Then again, perhaps he was the guy either cleaning the toilets or disguised as a urinal".  Got me to thinking.........hummmm.

Oh yeah, since you claim a life other than being on HV I would suggest "don't quit your day job". Personally I have one and still have plenty of time to post. Called multi-tasking ;) :) ;D :D 8)

wildhogman

compared to what SMU was BEFORE their "death". yes, they still have not recovered and likely never will. I don't see them ever finishing in top 25.  Remind me what their 4 year rakings were before they got hammered?
I'll help you out here,
1982: coaches poll #2
         AP #2
1983: coaches #11
         AP #12
1984: coaches poll #8
         AP #8
1985:  unranked. 6-5 (5-3 conf)
1986 unranked, same record
you can always check back further and see their level of success with big boys.  But not even close since the death penalty.

The OTR

I admit I miss all the drama of the previous coaching staff.  These guys seem like they're all business and thus far no real quirks or odd behaviors.

The OTR

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 19, 2018, 04:56:17 pm
First of all, you know absolutely nothing, nada, zero, nyet, zippo about my personal life. And personally that makes me feel very, very good. Thank the Lord you don't.

Secondly, I really have to laugh at your proclamation that you're practically the only one who does any research on here. Duh, where do you think my INCONVENIENT facts about June Jones' SMU came from. Sorry, didn't make those up. Just merely googled the subject and there is was in black and white. However, as it again doesn't fit your preconceived nature you're the very person you claim to hate-politicans who claim things that aren't or at least distort the truth.

Thirdly, you've admitted that you wanted either Norvell or little Kiffin as our next HC. Not saying they won't have been legitimate choices. However, unlike you I preferred to leave it to the folks who know best. Which brings me to one final subject.

You've alleged on several occasions that Jerry Jones' friendship with CMM practically forced the BOT and the new AD to hire Chad. I honestly don't know anything about that; however, I should bow to your innate sense of fairness and open mindedness. The only thing that's stopping me from doing so, however, is a conversation I happened to have will ole "Jerr (we long time buddies can call him that) down in Dallas over the weekend. When the subject came up about Morris, ole
"Jonsie" (another best "bud moniker) just laughed and laughed and said "Yeah, I sure pulled a fast one over on all those yokels up there on the Hill. That is except that pesky 'truth-and-justice' jabberjawls. He's the only guy I can't fool". I went to say that somehow you had the real "scoop" when nobody else did. When I asked JJ (yet another nickname) whether or not "truth-and-justice" might have actually somehow had access to the NSA/CIA double secret meeting on the hiring Jerry replied "Gosh, I don't know. Since it was held in my personal fallout bunker I can't imagine he did. Then again, perhaps he was the guy either cleaning the toilets or disguised as a urinal".  Got me to thinking.........hummmm.

Oh yeah, since you claim a life other than being on HV I would suggest "don't quit your day job". Personally I have one and still have plenty of time to post. Called multi-tasking ;) :) ;D :D 8)

You usually save these diatribes for me.  I'm jealous.

DeltaBoy

We will be fine!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TomasPistola

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on February 14, 2018, 09:10:03 am
nope. just in touch with reality.

It's cute you named it "reality".
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

root_hawg

LZH

Had an interesting conversation with a guy at the Lennox distributorship in Orlando today. Diehard gators fan, this one. So he surprised me when as we were talking he made the comment that of all of the coaches hired in the SEC this year, Morris was by far the best. I said "really?....you don't like your guy?" He said "Mullen will be OK, but he's not Urban." Said when Gus pulled his stunt he figured Morris was our man.

I've known this cat for a while now and he doesn't talk out of his rear. Thought that was a well-thought out take and was pretty nice to hear. Fwiw, he never cared for Bielema, if that matters.

Dwillhog66

I thank god every morning I wake up, those are days to celebrate life!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on February 19, 2018, 08:34:07 pm
I thank god every morning I wake up, those are days to celebrate life!!
Totally on point. Agree or disagree, the one thing all of us have is only a limited time on this earth. Health, family, faith, freedom and all the other things many of us take for granted are priceless, but never free. May we treasure each and every moment God grants us.

jgphillips3

Quote from: LZH on February 19, 2018, 08:30:37 pm
Had an interesting conversation with a guy at the Lennox distributorship in Orlando today. Diehard gators fan, this one. So he surprised me when as we were talking he made the comment that of all of the coaches hired in the SEC this year, Morris was by far the best. I said "really?....you don't like your guy?" He said "Mullen will be OK, but he's not Urban." Said when Gus pulled his stunt he figured Morris was our man.

I've known this cat for a while now and he doesn't talk out of his rear. Thought that was a well-thought out take and was pretty nice to hear. Fwiw, he never cared for Bielema, if that matters.

I agree with him.  Now, that said, ANY hire is a risk.  Heck, we could hire Nick Saban and he might not win it all here.  However, after watching this staff, reading up on Coach Morris and just observing, I think we got a steal.  Other than his record as a head coach, everything about him seems literally perfect for this job.  His background, his personality, his vision...everything seems to be exactly the right kind of guy for our program.  Only time will tell if he can get it done, but I am pumped at what I see as the potential of this man.  This could be our JFB part 2.  Looking forward to watching it play out.

GuvHog

Quote from: SooieGeneris on February 17, 2018, 02:51:02 pm

For the record, the reason Coach Morris didn't sign as many receivers as Petrino did is he didn't need to because every WR on last year's roster is returning this year. Nutt, on the other hand, left Petrino with a pretty bare cupboard at WR.

As for Coach Morris, he wasn't my first choice but I would have gladly taken him anytime over Gus Malzahn. I like what I see in this staff.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

liljo

I am impressed with the entire staff. You have what appears to be a great mix of ingenuity, energy, and experience. This mix of coaches, like many others, is completely unique. Nobody knows what the results will be, but they just might be the best we've ever had.

I'll be cheering them on, and will have been from the very beginning. I think we can expect an innovative offense that gets our best players the football in space where they can use their skills best. Defensively, I think we are going to turn our fair share of 3rd and 8s into 4th and 15s. I think Coach Chavis is loving the challenge and knows full well that Arkansas is going to pull in some talented athletes for his defense.

This particular mix of coaches and support staff have never before been  assembled. I have a lot of confidence that Coach Morris is not only going to get the very maximum out of each player, but out of each coach as well.

To all those here who have a positive outlook about this, I'm with you! To the naysayers, well, that's your legal right. But if this turns out well, it could be that you were one of the obstacles it had to overcome.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on February 19, 2018, 07:40:42 pm
You usually save these diatribes for me.  I'm jealous.
Be glad to oblige you anytime.  ;) :)

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: HogPharmer on February 16, 2018, 10:21:27 am
Then our program would have ended up being a dumpster fire again within 3 years just like it was when we fired Petrino. While I liked Petrino, I am not interested in getting into that retreaded argument... I'm ready for something new. You've got to give somebody a chance and it's time to give this program a different look from what we've had the last 6 years with a possibility of some real long-term success.

Show me where in college football Morris has had long term success....

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 14, 2018, 06:04:59 pm
I just don't get the people that continue to be negative.  Ok so he wasn't your top choice either and maybe even for a variety of legitimate reasons.  But he's not a total a$$ clown.  He's not out there embarrassing the university.  He doesn't have a history of being a jerk, and he's not just mailing it in.  He's legitimately working very hard to give the UofA a successful football program.  To continue to piss and moan about him just makes people look like miserable POS's that have miserable lives so they project it on to the program to have something to b!tch about.   I feel sorry for these people.

The negativity stems from the repetitive cycle that Arkansas has been in since joining the SEC: 5-6 years of bad followed by 1 year of almost getting to the top but failing to do so, then rinse and repeat. Couple that with the fact that I just don't think Morris can get it done based on what I have seen so far and taking into account his past.

The OP asked for an opinion. Then when people post an opinion that's different than what you want to hear (aka "negative") then this is the kind of return crap we get: ".....NOT TRUE FANS!!....KICK YOUR DOG!!........SNOWFLAKE!!......" and all the other BS you guys spew when someone disagrees with you. Its sad really.

Since you want to talk about how bad the life must be of someone that disagrees with you, I can refute that just fine. I love my life. I have a great life. I have a smoking hot, supportive wife and a good marriage. I have a great job and make good money. I have a supportive and loving family. I am very healthy. The only thing that sucks about my life (other than the Hogs over the past 8 years) is that Im in school for my Master's Degree. That sucks hardcore. Don't recommend it.

Anyways, I truly hope I am wrong about Morris and that he can get it done. But its okay that I don't believe it yet. A "prove me wrong" attitude doesn't mean we aren't true fans. I compare it to when a candidate you don't like (or hate) becomes President....you can hate him all you want, but you should want him to succeed. That's a no brainer. This is what has happened here. Morris wasn't our candidate of choice, so now he has his chance to prove all the naysayers wrong. But I don't believe he will. And that's okay