Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transfer eligibility rules changing very soon

Started by navyhog24, January 17, 2018, 03:02:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

navyhog24

https://247sports.com/Bolt/ESPN-host-hints-at-radical-change-to-transfer-eligibility-rules-113838655

ESPN host Matt Schick put a tweet out today: I spoke w/ an NCAA official this week who was "95% certain" transfers will soon be allowed to play immediately in basketball & football. Could be a one-time freebie, plus grad transfer option. So in theory, a student-athlete could play for three different schools w/o sitting out.

Razorfox

So does that help or hurt a program like ours? 

I could theoretically see the possibility for a lesser recruited athlete doing well at a school like Arkansas as a freshman/sophomore and then transferring to a school like Alabama just to win a championship. 

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

navyhog24

I'm sure the parent schools will still be able to tell the player what other schools said player can't transfer to. So, they will still have a little control.

thebignasty

Quote from: Razorfox on January 17, 2018, 03:05:48 pm

I could theoretically see the possibility for a lesser recruited athlete doing well at a school like Arkansas as a freshman/sophomore and then transferring to a school like Alabama just to win a championship.

No doubt that the big fish will be the ones who find a way to make it benefit them.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

RME

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 17, 2018, 03:07:07 pm
Chaos.

No doubt, but from what I've read, there won't be any vote on it this year.

Bash

Or a great athlete buried in the depth chart at Alabama coming to Arkansas to get playing time.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

King Kong

Meh. Probably a wash. We would get some guys that would help. But someone like Bama would probably end up with a Carson Wientz

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Bash on January 17, 2018, 03:18:23 pm
Or a great athlete buried in the depth chart at Alabama coming to Arkansas to get playing time.

Or a great player at Arkansas leaving to go to Bama for a ring.

hawgfan4life

Pay them enough and they will come or stay.  Operate a program that players want to be a part of and it will diminish the issue of transfers out and help bring transfers in.  Crappy program and no incentive means a transfer rate.  Competition at its best.

bennyl08

A ring in college isn't as important as the draft for a player with a strong NFL future.

I.e. would a player with division 1 scholarship aspirations in HS risk being a backup his senior year in order to get a state HS championship, or would they want to ball out their senior year in hopes of attracting maximum attention for the college level?

Further, it isn't just about talent. New playbook that you'll have to learn, new players that you'll have zero chemistry with and will have to develop. Even if you are physically better than the other players, mentally, you could be relegated to the second string because you simply don't have the timing down with the qb on your routes yet, and you don't know the playbook well enough yet.

If you weren't good enough to go to some place like Bama, USC, Ohio St, etc... before, they probably aren't going to take you after your freshmen year either, you are going to need 2 years of showing what you have before the big boys will take you, at which point, you only have one year to play before you are going pro anyways, unless you are just really loyal to your college program, in which case, you probably aren't the type to transfer to chase a ring anyways.

Somebody mentioned Carson Wentz above, and that type of situation is textbook of what would really impact this. An Arkansas player isn't going to have any better a shot at the NFL leaving here for another school, but some of the small school players will. For them, they have enough to show the NFL from their small school days to risk a year as a backup and still get into the NFL while hoping for some starting experience at the big boy level to boost their draft stock. Arkansas benefited from this with Cameron Jefferson who spent a handful of years in the NFL, transferring to us from one of the SW schools for a year. Didn't start for us on the OL, but got some reps in as a 6th OT.

The other factor in ring chasing would be like what Oregon State experienced with Conner Hammlett (sp?). Really good TE but not groundbreaking, for the beavers, did a graduate transfer for his 5th year to Bama and wasn't a star player there, but saw decent playing time. Ended up either as a late round draft pick or a high priority UDFA, can't remember which. Players in that category are also a threat to transfer for a ring chase. Maybe like a Javontee Herndon might have here. However, I doubt a Greg Childs or Mallett would have.

For the big boys, I agree they'll find a way to benefit from this, especially getting those smaller school first round picks to transfer to them, but I think they would be hurt as well. They already seem to lose about a third of their players to transfers to other schools. Might be highballing that a bit, but they lose a significant chunk. If it became even easier, I imagine even more would transfer out seeking playing time over bench rings.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Snout team

Quote from: navyhog24 on January 17, 2018, 03:08:19 pm
I'm sure the parent schools will still be able to tell the player what other schools said player can't transfer to. So, they will still have a little control.

This
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

Hoggish1

Just allow a kid to transfer to any school if his coach gets a job after he signs a LOI (maybe that's now the case, anyhow...) at that school.

PorkSoda

Quote from: thebignasty on January 17, 2018, 03:09:05 pm
No doubt that the big fish will be the ones who find a way to make it benefit them.
they have the same scholarship limit as anyone else, so its not like half the country is going to tranfer to alabama in december to get a ring in january.

I would guess that they might be hurt more as they can only start so many blue chips, and some will inevitably sit on the bench and want to transfer somewhere where they will actually be able to play.

the only real concern would be if school are allowed to recruit players at other schools.  I would hope there are rules against that.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

thebignasty

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 17, 2018, 05:24:18 pm
they have the same scholarship limit as anyone else, so its not like half the country is going to tranfer to alabama in december to get a ring in january.

I would guess that they might be hurt more as they can only start so many blue chips, and some will inevitably sit on the bench and want to transfer somewhere where they will actually be able to play.

the only real concern would be if school are allowed to recruit players at other schools.  I would hope there are rules against that.

Should the rules change in this way, I figure we'll see even more non-contributors pushed out of the likes of Alabama etc, so that Alabama can get a new 5 star to develop, or the best underclassmen out of the non power 5- or cellar dwellars or coaching change programs in the p5.

It'll be easier to push them out because they don't have to sit, and easier to get a stud at UCF that didnt qualify in the SEC out of high school and now wants to play for titles in the fold.

BTW

I'm not sure that I'm against it.  If the coaches can dick these kids around like this and then take off the day after signing day, the kids I think deserve some semblance of similar mobility.   

Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

PorkSoda

Quote from: thebignasty on January 17, 2018, 05:41:18 pm

Should the rules change in this way, I figure we'll see even more non-contributors pushed out of the likes of Alabama etc, so that Alabama can get a new 5 star to develop, or the best underclassmen out of the non power 5- or cellar dwellars or coaching change programs in the p5.

It'll be easier to push them out because they don't have to sit, and easier to get a stud at UCF that didnt qualify in the SEC out of high school and now wants to play for titles in the fold.

BTW

I'm not sure that I'm against it.  If the coaches can dick these kids around like this and then take off the day after signing day, the kids I think deserve some semblance of similar mobility.   

I agree that the focus on the rule should be allowing player initiated mobility, and that there needs to be regulations discouraging schools from taking advantage of the rules to dump kids and recruit from other schools.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

LawyerHog50

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 17, 2018, 05:24:18 pm

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 17, 2018, 04:47:59 pm
A ring in college isn't as important as the draft for a player with a strong NFL future.

I.e. would a player with division 1 scholarship aspirations in HS risk being a backup his senior year in order to get a state HS
If you weren't good enough to go to some place like Bama, USC, Ohio St, etc... before, they probably aren't going to take you after your freshmen year either, you are going to need 2 years of showing what you have before the big boys will take you, at which point, you only have one year to play before you are going pro anyways, unless you are just really loyal to your college program, in which case, you probably aren't the type to transfer to chase a ring anyways. 

Good points. This rule change is most likely to hurt the better programs who consistently have all that 4 and 5 star backup talent waiting around at 2-3 on the depth chart. Those players might have a shot at the NFL if they could get a decent amount of playing time.

And...the only teams with that much depth would be Alabama, Ohio State, maybe Clemson and maybe Oklahoma. This levels out the playing field a bit. I like it.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

SooieGeneris

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on January 17, 2018, 06:31:36 pm
Good points. This rule change is most likely to hurt the better programs who consistently have all that 4 and 5 star backup talent waiting around at 2-3 on the depth chart. Those players might have a shot at the NFL if they could get a decent amount of playing time.

And...the only teams with that much depth would be Alabama, Ohio State, maybe Clemson and maybe Oklahoma. This levels out the playing field a bit. I like it.

Saban will find a way to make it work to his advantage like he does every other rule until he retires or dies in office. Any time there is any question about ethics, the NCAA will put on the pompoms and cheer them on to victory because Alabama = ratings and ratings = more money. Same thing with Kentucky, Duke and UNC in basketball.

They finally took off their blinders to the crooked Pitino but only after the program had slipped. One of the biggest scandals is the way they slapped UNC on the wrist for academic fraud going back 2 decades. 'Bama could take back a player who didn't make it in the NFL and change the name in the program and might get away with it. Same with UK basketball. It's a wonder Calimari hasn't tried it... yet.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

HawgHeadCheese

The coach still will be able to deny a transfer with in the conference.

bennyl08

damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

I believe the biggest thing that would happen is that teams would feel more comfortable pulling scholarships from marginal players at the end of any particular year, knowing the Kid could catch on with another FBS school with no penalty.  Then if say Arkansas had 5 scholarships to fill, Kids could let the school know their interest and/or the staff could show their interest in any Kid free of their old school.

I do not agree with the thought that a Kid leaving a particular school cannot go anywhere he chooses.  The school he just left should not have any say in that.

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

hoglady

Quote from: RazorPiggie on January 17, 2018, 03:50:05 pm

Or he could go to Bama and never see the field.
Some of our best players would still be maybe's Bama.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hogindasticks

Wooohooo....jalen can start for us next year...lol

Hogindasticks

Problem with this, is....Alabama will be recruiting the players of the other team as they play.....come on..we got a spot for ya next year.......then  you will have kids quitting a team in the middle of the season to transfer to another school next semester....It will be ugly.

Hogindasticks

Thought of something else.......lets not recruit much for next year...we can pick up players from other schools this year.....smh

hamARchy in the USA

In a free market one would think the best coaches would benefit the most as players gravitate to where they can get the most out of their ability and have opportunities to win championships.

The worst coaches might in some cases be left without enough players to put a team on the court or field as players bail out.  A new coach would have to take over.

After the dust settles the quality of coaching would likely rise significantly across the board.

Hogindasticks

Everyone wants to win a NC......since Bama beat us by 40....lets join the winner side......You think recruiting is cut throat now......you haven't seen anything yet.

ChicoHog

This a terrible rule if it comes to fruition.  Every entitled athlete who thinks they should be playing and are not will just move on to another school instead of fighting for their position.  It already happens at the QB position where only one can play.  That is somewhat understandable.   I don't want to see it everywhere else.  I think there are way too many transfers already and this will make it much worse. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 17, 2018, 09:03:22 pm
This a terrible rule if it comes to fruition.  Every entitled athlete who thinks they should be playing and are not will just move on to another school instead of fighting for their position.  It already happens at the QB position where only one can play.  That is somewhat understandable.   I don't want to see it everywhere else.  I think there are way too many transfers already and this will make it much worse. 
if they are that entitled, then they are probably a drain on team morale anyway.

the current transfer rules punish the athlete for transferring. 

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

bennyl08

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

jkstock04

Quote from: Wildhog on January 18, 2018, 12:25:45 pm
Bad for us, IMO.
I think it's more of a threat to the blue chip schools than programs like ours.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Wildhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 18, 2018, 12:39:47 pm
I think it's more of a threat to the blue chip schools than programs like ours.

Disagree, but it's not like there's a clear-cut answer.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

its not like schools have to give kids a one year notice if they are going to pull their scholarship.

fair is fair.  it may change the game to some extent, but there needs to be some of amount of equality between student and school.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 18, 2018, 12:50:33 pm
its not like schools have to give kids a one year notice if they are going to pull their scholarship.

fair is fair.  it may change the game to some extent, but there needs to be some of amount of equality between student and school.

Pretty sure they can't just pull a scholarship anymore.  They can encourage you to leave, but I don't think they can force it anymore.
1909/1964/1965/1977

greenie

Lots of good points, but I think it's going to be hard to tell what this will turn into.  Changes of this sort make me nervous, but I do see the argument from a player's pov..."coaches move around freely, why can't I?"

RME

Quote from: greenie on January 18, 2018, 12:59:31 pm
Lots of good points, but I think it's going to be hard to tell what this will turn into.  Changes of this sort make me nervous, but I do see the argument from a player's pov..."coaches move around freely, why can't I?"

To me, that's where it snowballs as well.

Wildhog

Totally agree on the fairness to players part.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

lol, can you imagine if coaches had to sit out a year...

ChicoHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 17, 2018, 09:13:28 pm
if they are that entitled, then they are probably a drain on team morale anyway.

the current transfer rules punish the athlete for transferring. 
I don't think it punishes them. It makes them think before doing something drastic and there is a price to pay in that you must sit our a year.  if the HC gets fired or leaves on his own then maybe I could be more forgiving.  I just think kids will take the easy way out if they don't get their way and there really is no consequence if they can transfer and not sit out a year.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 18, 2018, 02:13:05 pm
I don't think it punishes them. It makes them think before doing something drastic and there is a price to pay in that you must sit our a year.  if the HC gets fired or leaves on his own then maybe I could be more forgiving.  I just think kids will take the easy way out if they don't get their way and there really is no consequence if they can transfer and not sit out a year.
they can transfer, that doesn't mean they will start right away at a new school under a new coach/scheme

I'm not going to sit around and judge athletes on their reasoning for wanting to transfer.

there are a lot of factors that can affect such a decision and arbitrary rules shouldn't be one of them.

sickboy

Or a great player at Bama getting buried on the depth chart to get playing time at Arkansas.

PonderinHog

I'm against that!
Quote from: sickboy on January 18, 2018, 02:36:59 pm
Or a great player at Bama getting buried on the depth chart to get playing time at Arkansas.
I'm for that!

PorkSoda

how many players drafted last year had a NC ring?  how many drafted didn't have a nc ring?

which is greater?

hogcards

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

HF#1

Start paying them and we will have full blown College Football Free Agency.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin