Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What if?

Started by JS22, January 04, 2018, 11:34:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JS22

What if the Hogs had run a spread offense this past season? Yes, I know, CBB would NEVER do that, but I do wonder how much different the season would've been.

GuvHog

Quote from: JS22 on January 04, 2018, 11:34:03 am
What if the Hogs had run a spread offense this past season? Yes, I know, CBB would NEVER do that, but I do wonder how much different the season would’ve been.

In my opinion, if they had done that, they would have won at least 2 to 3 more games. Bret's downfall was his steadfast refusal to let go of his Big 10 style offense. A Big 10 style offense just won't work in the SEC. Even Nick Saban realized that when he accepted the LSU job and changed his offense.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

JS22

That's my feeling as well. We did run more of Power Spread in 2015, but I think that was mostly Enos.

This is also why I'm happy about the Morris hire (even though I really wanted Norvell). These kids just aren't built for the smash mouth, run the ball down your throat kind of play. Much better suited for the spread.

HoggyCat

Quote from: GuvHog on January 04, 2018, 11:45:15 am
In my opinion, if they had done that, they would have won at least 2 to 3 more games. Bret's downfall was his steadfast refusal to let go of his Big 10 style offense. A Big 10 style offense just won't work in the SEC. Even Nick Saban realized that when he accepted the LSU job and changed his offense.

We should've 2 or 3 more with the players and offense we have now.... 2 or 3 EACH SEASON for FIVE consecutive seasons. Scheme & player personnel wasn't the problem.....  I've said it since Rutgers.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

IronHog

Bret woulda ran it up the middle with a slow TB
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: IronHog on January 05, 2018, 12:15:24 pm

Bret woulda ran it up the middle with a slow TB

A delayed draw for a gain of 2.

Hawghiggs

BB was never going to change. He was Houston Nutt 2.0.

thebignasty

We still would have had a historically bad defense.

IronHog

Quote from: thebignasty on January 05, 2018, 12:25:26 pm
We still would have had a historically bad defense.

Coulda beat Mizzou, Miss St, and TCU with a functioning offense

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 05, 2018, 12:24:05 pm
BB was never going to change. He was Houston Nutt 2.0.

DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT A NUTT FAN OR APOLOGIST

By the numbers Nutt was a better coach by a fairly large margin.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Hard to say. If the team had been built to run the spread that is one thing. Having taken the team as it was and made it run the spread that is another story.

I think that the spread formations would had resulted in fewer blockers - and our QBs were already running for their lives when trying to pass the ball.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: HamboFirstBlood on January 05, 2018, 12:32:31 pm

That's fair. I was meaning by not changing his style.

Hogindasticks

It's a different scenario when the line is running with the QB to block, rather than blocking to keep people away from the QB.  You can slice the defense where you want to with a moving line instead of a stationary line like we had with CBB.  I compare the new offense to be like a knife, where CBB's offense was like a hammer.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 05, 2018, 12:41:19 pm
It's a different scenario when the line is running with the QB to block, rather than blocking to keep people away from the QB.  You can slice the defense where you want to with a moving line instead of a stationary line like we had with CBB.  I compare the new offense to be like a knife, where CBB's offense was like a hammer.

Good point. But you also need a line that can move :)

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 05, 2018, 12:40:04 pm
That's fair. I was meaning by not changing his style.

That's so true. I understand having a basic plan and going into a game with an idea on how you're going to attack your opponents offense/defense but there comes a time when what you're doing isn't working and adjustments need to be made. Those two seemed to have never grasped that concept.

IronHog

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on January 05, 2018, 12:37:26 pm
Hard to say. If the team had been built to run the spread that is one thing. Having taken the team as it was and made it run the spread that is another story.

I think that the spread formations would had resulted in fewer blockers - and our QBs were already running for their lives when trying to pass the ball.

There are actually plays that get the ball out of the QBs hands quickly

95% of what B.B. ran was deep drops, screens, end arounds, and slow handoffs that put tremendous stress on the OL

thebignasty

Quote from: IronHog on January 05, 2018, 12:49:37 pm

There are actually plays that get the ball out of the QBs hands quickly

95% of what B.B. ran was deep drops, screens, end arounds, and slow handoffs that put tremendous stress on the OL

This is true.  What we did exposes a line when its not great.   We made very little effort to help them out once it became clear it wasn't a great unit.

code red

Quote from: JS22 on January 04, 2018, 11:34:03 am
What if the Hogs had run a spread offense this past season? Yes, I know, CBB would NEVER do that, but I do wonder how much different the season would've been.
Would have been the same.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hogindasticks

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on January 05, 2018, 12:43:02 pm
Good point. But you also need a line that can move :)

True..but its much harder to try to maneuver around a moving obstacle... :)

Hogindasticks

January 05, 2018, 12:54:10 pm #19 Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:11:29 pm by Hogindasticks
Quote from: thebignasty on January 05, 2018, 12:50:43 pm
This is true.  What we did exposes a line when its not great.   We made very little effort to help them out once it became clear it wasn't a great unit.

Agree completely....which would be the HC and the OC's problem.....never was resolved.  In my opinion, it cost them their job because they never were able to see it.   I see the DL as either in attack mode or react mode....if you have a stationary line, it is easy for the DL to be in Attack mode...if you move the line, it requires them to stay in react mode....they can never T-Off on the OL.  I honestly think thats why the spread works so well....fewer in the box, easier to run on and knife thru what is left on the DL and LB.

LZH

I remember when Nutt's team was down 31-10 to Alabama and he kept running the ball with Jones and Cobbs. As we won the game in OT one of the announcers talked about the guts it took for him to stick with his gameplan by not abandoning the run.

To which my buddy turned to me and said "either that or he had no idea what else to do."

IronHog

Quote from: thebignasty on January 05, 2018, 12:50:43 pm

Line should be better this year with even decent coaching starting 4 seniors if they're healthy

2019 might be ugly...... BB left zero depth

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on January 05, 2018, 12:56:09 pm

Line should be better this year with even decent coaching starting 4 seniors if they're healthy

2019 might be ugly...... BB left zero depth

neither did BP or HDN or Hatfield or Holtz. Depth tends to be an issue at Arkansas. Ford left a lot for HDN and Broyles left a boat load for Holtz.

Was the issue this year really offense? They scored 40+ and lost to Mizzu, they scored over 30 on A&M. Better defense would have meant two more wins right there.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

tusksincolorado

Yelp....but I couldn't stand the POS.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 05, 2018, 01:01:01 pm
neither did BP or HDN or Hatfield or Holtz. Depth tends to be an issue at Arkansas. Ford left a lot for HDN and Broyles left a boat load for Holtz.

Was the issue this year really offense? They scored 40+ and lost to Mizzu, they scored over 30 on A&M. Better defense would have meant two more wins right there.

Cause big 12 teams play no defense

Should score every possession on those weak teams instead of hanging onto 1967 thinking

IronHog

Quote from: tusksincolorado on January 05, 2018, 01:04:18 pm
Yelp....but I couldn't stand the POS.

He was at least willing to ride his mules and keep kids on the team

BB uncommened himself out of a job.  He don't care with 15mil buyout

SOB did it on purpose

Hogindasticks

Quote from: IronHog on January 05, 2018, 01:07:23 pm

He was at least willing to ride his mules and keep kids on the team

BB uncommened himself out of a job.  He don't care with 15mil buyout

SOB did it on purpose

I don't doubt that really.

Bret was committed to the power run game and TOP.  He won't change.  Contrast that to Saban who will change in a minute IF he believes something is better.  Saban is a coaches coach.  He invests the time to KNOW what is going on.  He doesn't just expect effort, he demands it.  Take no plays off, leave no prisoners alive, never take your foot off the gas or their necks.  Saban knows how to ease off on a team if HE desires that be done and still have his charges going full speed. 

When coaches marry a scheme, it can often bite them unless they can always get the exact recruits they desire.  That is nearly impossible.

zorbacks06

Nutt was a slimeball. A self promoter who always had an excuse for his ignorance.
If Bret had turned total control of the offense to Enos, more games would have been won.
If you have a 15 million dollar buyout why should you give a stuff if you win or lose. It was in a win win situation and he won big time. Can't say I blame him.

King Kong

I'm sorry this whole narrative is wrong.

Running a spread offense would have fixed very little.

Now the Chad Morris spread is alittle more creative than typical spread teams

26.2Hog

That's kind of like saying Hillary Clinton is better looking than Whoopi Goldberg.

But yeah.

B Ray

Bama wasn't Bama either, during Nutts tenure

Dwight_K_Shrute

Wake me when Kurt Anderson lands another FBS job.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: zorbacks06 on January 05, 2018, 07:47:05 pm
Nutt was a slimeball. A self promoter who always had an excuse for his ignorance.
If Bret had turned total control of the offense to Enos, more games would have been won.
If you have a 15 million dollar buyout why should you give a stuff if you win or lose. It was in a win win situation and he won big time. Can't say I blame him.

I wouldn't argue with this at all but I wasn't arguing who had a better personality or was a better person, only which one was a better coach on paper.

26.2Hog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 05, 2018, 08:40:40 pm
Wake me when Kurt Anderson lands another FBS job.

Uh oh.  Gonna miss your posts.  Cause you're gonna be in a coma.  Like, forever.

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: B Ray on January 05, 2018, 08:13:34 pm
Bama wasn't Bama either, during Nutts tenure

For sure, but the Razorbacks, Ole Miss, Miss St, or Tennessee weren't the same teams either. Vandy would have kicked our ass last year and they used to be an automatic W. Like I said earlier, I'm no Nutt apologist but I try to be as objective as possible and I think one would have a hard time arguing Bielema was a better coach than Nutt. On the field optics and their records point to the contrary.

My personal feelings are that the 2 are about the same.  Bret though not bright, was still smarter than Nutt and contained his ego better.  Nutt actually understood the benefit of the Rah, rah speech and sideline antics.  Bret never cared to reach that point.  Bret cost the program more in strength, money, reputation, and damage.  Nutt may have ruined more players than Bret just because he was in position to do so longer,

opineonswine

Quote from: 12247 on January 06, 2018, 12:32:17 pm
My personal feelings are that the 2 are about the same.  Bret though not bright, was still smarter than Nutt and contained his ego better.  Nutt actually understood the benefit of the Rah, rah speech and sideline antics.  Bret never cared to reach that point.  Bret cost the program more in strength, money, reputation, and damage.  Nutt may have ruined more players than Bret just because he was in position to do so longer,

I'm believing we're going to like this coach better than all the ones post-Hatfield.