Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Defense Get Equal Time and Opportunity

Started by Snout team, December 31, 2017, 01:51:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Snout team

In practice??

I really hope CCM allows the defense equal time and opportunity in practice.

It seems many of the offense minded coaches in our day limit the defense in practice to improve their offense. Doing so significantly hampers a defense's quality come game time. 

I believe it hampers a team in the areas of tackling, aggression, and general coverage at game speed. 
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

lakecityhog

If he doesn't then the University is throwing away money on the defensive staff!

I know that "iron sharpens iron" and going good on good is the best practice, but if he will let the 1s go against the 2s at full speed it will give both 1st team units a better feel for the game than having the D hold back. Plus, this would give the 2s a great opportunity to get better!

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: #hammerdown on December 31, 2017, 01:51:30 pm
In practice??

I really hope CCM allows the defense equal time and opportunity in practice.

It seems many of the offense minded coaches in our day limit the defense in practice to improve their offense. Doing so significantly hampers a defense's quality come game time. 

I believe it hampers a team in the areas of tackling, aggression, and general coverage at game speed.

I believe I've read that Venables demands that at Clemson. If Morris is going to model his program on that then I'd assume he will continue that practice.

Cinco de Hogo

We will have just as many defensive coaches as offensive not counting CCM and we have two practice fields side by side.  I bet it will be equal time but as a previous poster said, how much time will the #1 defense see the #1 offense.

Snout team

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 31, 2017, 04:36:05 pm
We will have just as many defensive coaches as offensive not counting CCM and we have two practice fields side by side.  I bet it will be equal time but as a previous poster said, how much time will the #1 defense see the #1 offense.

After BP left several comments came out about him chewing on defensive players for tackling or breaking up a pass.  It wasn't related to player safety but to skill development of the offense.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: #hammerdown on December 31, 2017, 05:45:44 pm
After BP left several comments came out about him chewing on defensive players for tackling or breaking up a pass.  It wasn't related to player safety but to skill development of the offense.

Yes I remember that, and it does make you wonder how CCM will handle it.  Also I have no idea how prevalent that type coaching is in college football nor do I have any basis for an strong opinion.

racinghog

Quote from: #hammerdown on December 31, 2017, 05:45:44 pm
I cannot see this from CCM. He certainly seems to be a "what you see is what you get" type person. He knows that a good defense will go a long way to winning. By the way has anyone heard if any of his defensive coaches from SMU are coming with him?