Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chavis contract.

Started by BR, December 30, 2017, 11:38:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BR

According to a current copy of Chavis' contract obtained through an open records request, the university extended Chavis through Dec. 31, 2018. Before the agreement between both sides was approved on Aug. 24, Chavis' deal was set to expire at the end of this calendar year.
A&M exercised its option to extend Chavis for an additional year. The school is set to pay him $1.6 million in 2018, matching the amount he was set to earn this season.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

lrar4hogs

Part of the problem could also be the details in the contract.  If memory serves me correctly, Chavis had some negations about using a school related plane or scholarship foundation plane for his family.  There were also some issues about whether LSU was owed money and how aTm was going to pay LSU for Chavis leaving.  This could be some of the issues being worked out . 

Inhogswetrust

IF Jimbo decides not to keep him the the contract doesn't matter.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Flrazrback

I can find any information on expectations Chavis is retained by Fisher. I would guess that if he is our guy there will take some time to hash out his contract with A&M before we can announce a hire.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 31, 2017, 12:26:57 am

Yes it does. They owe him $$ if they do not retain him.

kp72204

So will He be our DC or not? With a&m paying Fisher so much, they might want to save a few dollars.

hogcards

Quote from: BR on December 30, 2017, 11:39:16 pm
According to a current copy of Chavis' contract obtained through an open records request, the university extended Chavis through Dec. 31, 2018. Before the agreement between both sides was approved on Aug. 24, Chavis' deal was set to expire at the end of this calendar year.
A&M exercised its option to extend Chavis for an additional year. The school is set to pay him $1.6 million in 2018, matching the amount he was set to earn this season.

Great news.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

King Kong

Quote from: hogcards on December 31, 2017, 05:48:56 am
Great news.

It was signed before the season it doesn't prevent him from being our Dad. Heck Barry Lunney is following Chavis and Caldwell on Twitter now

Pork Twain

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 31, 2017, 01:15:47 am
Yes, because money is an issue for A&M
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 31, 2017, 01:15:47 am
So what. WE and a LOT of schools pay out buyouts even for assistants. Especially when there is a coaching change. Most new head coaches will not take a new job without the full authority to have the coaches they want. IF that means firing some prior assistant coaches then that's what they will do.Look around all over every year and see how many assistants are kept by incoming new coaches. It's a small percentage.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 31, 2017, 07:27:01 am

Yeah, I read a tweet or somewhere, about aTm money, it basically said, "Permian Basin oil has a $25/barrel cost, so at $50, we've got plenty of money."

Scott7703

This contract changes nothing with Chavis. If he is who Morris wants he will be hired this week.

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

texas tush hog

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 31, 2017, 07:27:01 am

Since when. Same as the teasips.

BigDrDon

I'd be happier to hire an up and comer like Matt Entz, Proven winner that deserves a chance to step up.
You gonna look me dead in the eye,hold a straight face ,and swear to me,that the forward pass is legal?

IBleedRazorbackRed

A&m wants him to leave. We/Chavis want a&M to let him go. I'm sure the 2 parties will come to an agreement where he can leave with no one paying any buyout money just to get the ball moving. The longer he is under contract with them, the worse it is for everyone.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Hoggish1

Quote from: kp72204 on December 31, 2017, 04:00:39 am
So will He be our DC or not? With a&m paying Fisher so much, they might want to save a few dollars.

That school doesn't worry about dollars.

The real Hogules

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 31, 2017, 12:26:57 am

Yeah, well except for A&M owing Chavis a years worth of salary.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

ricepig

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 31, 2017, 10:11:07 am
Yeah, we'll except for A&M owing Chavis a years worth of salary.

They fire him, we hire him, thus offsetting what they owed him. It's no different than Rhoads, Herbert, Mitchell, or Hargreaves now being employed elsewhere and their salaries offsetting what we owed them. Of course, we want Bielema and Long to get jobs, lol.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Feels like it's time to fish or cut bait.  At what point does this become too big a headache? 

ricepig

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 31, 2017, 10:40:00 am
Feels like it's time to fish or cut bait.  At what point does this become too big a headache? 

The time when Morris decides it is.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2017, 10:44:20 am
The time when Morris decides it is.
This isn't the informal advisory panel?  Sorry wrong meeting.

ricepig

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 31, 2017, 10:49:41 am
This isn't the informal advisory panel?  Sorry wrong meeting.

This is the informal informal advisory panel, we'll have to reach some consensus to push it up a level.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2017, 10:52:41 am
This is the informal informal advisory panel, we'll have to reach some consensus to push it up a level.

Reaching a consensus on hogville has happened exactly never.

BirmingHam

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 31, 2017, 11:13:07 am

I disagree...

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 31, 2017, 11:13:07 am
I think we can all agree that we do want a defensive coordinator.  After that I think it gets a little sideways.

ricepig

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 31, 2017, 11:18:40 am
I think we can all agree that we do want a defensive coordinator.  After that I think it gets a little sideways.

Are you sure.....

Hogwild

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2017, 10:14:35 am
They fire him, we hire him, thus offsetting what they owed him. It's no different than Rhoads, Herbert, Mitchell, or Hargreaves now being employed elsewhere and their salaries offsetting what we owed them. Of course, we want Bielema and Long to get jobs, lol.

I doubt we will offset what he is owed.  Why should we pay him $1.6 just because A&M did?   

Offer him a 3 year deal for $4 million. But only pay him one million the first year, (let A&M pay him the additional 600K) then $1.5 million the following two season.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogwild on December 31, 2017, 11:25:02 am

I doubt we will offset what he is owed.  Why should we pay him $1.6 just because A&M did?   

Offer him a 3 year deal for $4 million. But only pay him one million the first year, (let A&M pay him the additional 600K) then $1.5 million the following two season.

Same as the guys I mentioned above, I didn't say their salaries elsewhere were completely offsetting what we owed them, but it helps. IDK what we'll pay, but it will be north of $1m.

hoglady

If Chavis quits doesn't he owe them money??
I assume that's why he waiting to be fired.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

King Kong

Quote from: hoglady on December 31, 2017, 11:31:13 am

Yes he would owe them

Pork Twain

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 31, 2017, 09:22:27 am

Since when. Same as the teasips.
Obvious sarcasm is not obvious to all
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 31, 2017, 10:11:07 am
Yeah, well except for A&M owing Chavis a years worth of salary.

BUT if they don't want him and he wants to go elsewhere there is this thing called negotiation. Either way that small amount is not going to be a hindrance.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: hoglady on December 31, 2017, 11:31:13 am
Only if he takes another job. He could quit and retire, then no one would owe anyone anything.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

lrar4hogs

I think all parties in the Chavis negotiations are making sure no one owes any financial obligations to the other.  Just a reminder, Chavis did file a lawsuit right after going to aTm against LSU and aTm on whether he had to pay a buyout to LSU and that aTm should be obligated to pay any liquidated damages. It was about a two year legal process.  LSU countered sued and there is deposition of LSU athletic department officials, including Miles and Alleva.  Just something to think about. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on December 31, 2017, 01:24:42 pm
Only if he takes another job. He could quit and retire, then no one would owe anyone anything.
i think you got that mixed up.  The whole thing pins on whether he quits/retires or is fired. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

SooieGeneris

Lost in all this hubbub over us not having a DC- neither does A&M. BOTH schools will want to have a DC and a staff in place before the end of the dead period which ends Jan. 12 I think it is.

Every indication is Fisher wants his own guy at DC, he wants a secondary coach in that spot, he always has. Chavis has never been a secondary coach unless it was way back at Alabama A&M.

Once Fisher makes a hire at DC, the Aggies will have to do something with Chavis, freeing him to leave. Their fan base would be likely to revolt if he was retained due to the "you're only as good as your last game" mentality.

A&M was not the only Power 5 defense that got lit up by Wake Forest, just the most recent. If one bad game against a HUNH spread team was all it took to blackball a DC, there wouldn't be many left. The Knighted Kevin Steeles and Alex Grinchs of CFB would be selling insurance..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Smashmouth2004

A&M went after Aranda at LSU and he turned them down. If Jimbo's options are limited he may decide to keep Chavis. If that happens then who do we turn to?

elksnort

Why not pay for an up and comer and use the balance of money to buy some defensive talent?

LZH

Quote from: elksnort on January 01, 2018, 12:35:08 pm
Why not pay for an up and comer and use the balance of money to buy some defensive talent?

Ha!

Hawg Life

Quote from: Smashmouth2004 on January 01, 2018, 12:18:52 pm
A&M went after Aranda at LSU and he turned them down. If Jimbo's options are limited he may decide to keep Chavis. If that happens then who do we turn to?

We'll get a "Cowboy".

Hawginj

Quote from: Smashmouth2004 on January 01, 2018, 12:18:52 pm
I would hope someone like Galen Scott or Marion Hobby ( CM has history with them) or Kerry Cooks!

elksnort

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hawginj on January 01, 2018, 12:37:45 pm
I would hope someone like Galen Scott or Marion Hobby ( CM has history with them) or Kerry Cooks!

Any option with people that have actually called plays?

HogNTX

Hawginj

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 01, 2018, 01:59:51 pm
Any option with people that have actually called plays?
Scott has been DC in multiple places. Hobby has been a DC all by himself as well

Torqued pork

Quote from: elksnort on January 01, 2018, 12:35:08 pm
And risk a glorious afterlife in NCAA heaven? Out thou devil!!!

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 01, 2018, 12:36:59 pm
We'll get a "Cowboy".

So our current DC options are Cowboys and Indians?