Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should we have hired Grinch?

Started by checkraiser88, December 29, 2017, 04:47:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

He gave up 42 points in the bowl and 41 the game before that. Did we miss out?

010HogFan

checkraiser88

I see he also gave up 58 to Arizona a few games prior..

WOOPIGDOOIE

He is going to Ohio St. Cant hire a guy that doesn't accept the job....

WOOPIGDOOIE

I totally missed the sarcasm in the OP. These mouth breathers got me flustered lol 

checkraiser88

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on December 29, 2017, 04:50:24 pm
He is going to Ohio St. Cant hire a guy that doesn't accept the job....

Good point lol

opineonswine

I note none of them have answered your question.

Well, you know Arkansas didn't offer cause if they would have, well, of course, us being Arkansas, he couldn't have refused a precious offer from the best of the best University.

redeye

This is a great point.  Those who don't want Chavis, can't name anyone they would like more.  I have to surmise that's because they're only paying attention to the negative points for Chavis, which our fans love to do, while ignoring the good points.  Chavis is one of the most respected DC's in the game, but they ignore that altogether.

If you don't like Chavis, please tell us who should be hired, instead.  If you can't or won't, then do everyone a favor and shut your pie hole, because you're not contributing anything useful.

010HogFan

Quote from: redeye on December 29, 2017, 04:59:07 pm
This is a great point.  Those who don't want Chavis, can't name anyone they would like more.  I have to surmise that's because they're only paying attention to the negative points for Chavis, which our fans love to do, while ignoring the good points.  Chavis is one of the most respected DC's in the game, but they ignore that altogether.

If you don't like Chavis, please tell us who should be hired, instead.  If you can't or won't, then do everyone a favor and shut your pie hole, because you're not contributing anything useful.

STICKY THIS

opineonswine

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 29, 2017, 04:47:12 pm
He gave up 42 points in the bowl and 41 the game before that. Did we miss out?

We should hire the best candidate who wants the job, which are two separate ideas. 

Grinch didn't want the job.  Maybe Chavis does.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Rudy Baylor

How do you think this thread meshes with your "Chavis haters" thread?

checkraiser88

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on December 29, 2017, 05:02:01 pm
How do you think this thread meshes with your "Chavis haters" thread?

I'm still attempting to understand their logic, I have failed

Hawginj

1. Jim Leavitt
2. Galen Scott
3.Kerry Cooks
4. Marion Hobby
5. John Chavis
I like Chief just fine I believe hes a very good coach. I just dont believe hes the fit the 4 I have listed above him are. All are available and I believe would have taken the job. Leavitt would have been an eaiser get before he resigned with Oregon.

Rudy Baylor

checkraiser88

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on December 29, 2017, 05:06:08 pm
Their logic?

I'm one of "them"

Props to you bro, who should hire? And should we have hired that mastermind grinch? I mean the guy gave up 13 less points in his bowl game! With less turnovers

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 29, 2017, 05:09:06 pm
Props to you bro, who should hire? And should we have hired that mastermind grinch? I mean the guy gave up 13 less points in his bowl game! With less turnovers

His defense was highly ranked all year

Otherwise known as, all year

checkraiser88

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on December 29, 2017, 05:10:32 pm

Ahh I got ya, looks like Ohio State got a good one!! The man was a home run!

Hogtimes

Well I would have preferred Venables....I  think he is the best DC in the country

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 29, 2017, 05:11:54 pm
Ahh I got ya, looks like Ohio State got a good one!! The man was a home run!

Yes they did

Ohio State looked at the big picture

redeye

Quote from: Hawginj on December 29, 2017, 05:05:40 pm
1. Jim Leavitt
2. Galen Scott
3.Kerry Cooks
4. Marion Hobby
5. John Chavis
I like Chief just fine I believe hes a very good coach. I just dont believe hes the fit the 4 I have listed above him are. All are available and I believe would have taken the job. Leavitt would have been an eaiser get before he resigned with Oregon.

That's the problem here.  You "think" they would have taken the job, but we don't know that.

I'm not saying Chavis is the best choice, but we don't who was a realistic option.  I'm just glad we found someone who has a history of fielding great defenses, so he knows what it takes.

I liked Grinch a whole lot, but he has no SEC experience and would probably struggle to bring quality assistants to Arkansas, which are 2 positive things for Chavis.  In fact, most of the "young and energetic" options mentioned by others likely lack these 2 positives.

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on December 29, 2017, 05:10:32 pm

Your right, you should base them off the year instead of one game... But what about an entire career?...

010HogFan

Quote from: redeye on December 29, 2017, 05:22:00 pm
That's the problem here.  You "think" they would have taken the job, but we don't know that.

I'm not saying Chavis is the best choice, but we don't who was a realistic option.  I'm just glad we found someone who has a history of fielding great defenses, so he knows what it takes.

I liked Grinch a whole lot, but he has no SEC experience and would probably struggle to bring quality assistants to Arkansas, which are 2 positive things for Chavis.  In fact, most of the "young and energetic" options mentioned by others likely lack these 2 positives.

Most reasonable poster I have seen today. There are plenty of positives to this hire and reasons to be excited, but only if that's what you are truly looking for.

Hawginj

Quote from: redeye on December 29, 2017, 05:22:00 pm

I understand what your point is. Im not doing the hiring but I can assure you that 3 of the 4 would have jumped at the job if offered. But all are realistic and obtainable.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Hogtimes on December 29, 2017, 05:12:21 pm
Well I would have preferred Venables....I  think he is the best DC in the country

Too bad we didn't offer him. I'm sure he would have jumped at the chance to leave a program that is now consistently contending for NCs to come here.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

HogPharmer

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on December 29, 2017, 05:23:01 pm
Your right, you should base them off the year instead of one game... But what about an entire career?...

Nope. Only look through a microscope with just the right amount of focus that fits your agenda.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 29, 2017, 05:27:46 pm
Nope. Only look through a microscope with just the right amount of focus that fits your agenda.
Makes sense

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on December 29, 2017, 05:23:01 pm

Entire career of coaching defense on teams with excellent offensive ball control and time of possession?

Yep let's talk about that

Rudy Baylor

opineonswine

There's only so many times you can try to reason with the unreasonable before giving up.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: opineonswine on December 29, 2017, 06:06:23 pm
There's only so many times you can try to reason with the unreasonable before giving up.

Time of possession points are unreasonable?

You sound like Nancy pelosi

opineonswine

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on December 29, 2017, 06:08:32 pm
Time of possession points are unreasonable?

You sound like Nancy pelosi

You sound like Roy Moore.

From Tusk Till Dawn

I don't have any major issues with Chavis.  His D is 37 spots better than ours (still 63 from being the best...)  Either way, if he is the hire, I would be really curious what took so long.  The staff is about to turnover, the bowl game isn't a meaningful bowl.  I'm curious if Jimbo wanted him to stay.

redeye

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on December 29, 2017, 05:29:36 pm
Entire career of coaching defense on teams with excellent offensive ball control and time of possession?

I think we'll be surprised by our TOP under Morris.  His TOP was good at SMU and good at Clemson from 2014 onward.  I don't think his offense will hinder Chavis, like Sumlin's did at A&M.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hogtimes on December 29, 2017, 05:12:21 pm

I disagree, I think Nick Saban is the best and we really missed out by no t hiring him.

Cinco de Hogo

You can stuff it in your pie hole, everybody has a right to their opinion and a right to have a preference.  Personally I know how much hiring any coach is a crapshoot and you saying he will be the greatest DC in Arkansas history doesn't mean diddly.  Chavis has been near top of my list but since I don't know who will be hired I'm still considering names.  Sorry if that's not good enough for you.  I've learned in my later years to not coach worship.

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on December 29, 2017, 05:29:36 pm

So that's why Arkansas had such a great defense with brets time of possession offense huh?

playamade76

Last I heard you have to want the job to get hired. You can't hire someone who doesn't want the job.

redeye

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 29, 2017, 08:06:55 pm
You can stuff it in your pie hole, everybody has a right to their opinion and a right to have a preference.  Personally I know how much hiring any coach is a crapshoot and you saying he will be the greatest DC in Arkansas history doesn't mean diddly.  Chavis has been near top of my list but since I don't know who will be hired I'm still considering names.  Sorry if that's not good enough for you.  I've learned in my later years to not coach worship.

I never once have said that Chavis will be the greatest DC in Arkansas history, so I'll await your apology.

And yes, of course you have a right to your opinion, but just bashing Chavis accomplishes what, exactly?  It's one thing to argue that there's a better candidate available, but another to just bash Chavis endlessly, as many here have done.  I'm not making the call and I doubt you are either, so let's keep that in mind.  We may support the program, but neither of us is likely even a part of the cornerstone.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: redeye on December 29, 2017, 08:15:40 pm
I never once have said that Chavis will be the greatest DC in Arkansas history, so I'll await your apology.

And yes, of course you have a right to your opinion, but just bashing Chavis accomplishes what, exactly?  It's one thing to argue that there's a better candidate available, but another to just bash Chavis endlessly, as many here have done.  I'm not making the call and I doubt you are either, so let's keep that in mind.  We may support the program, but neither of us is likely even a part of the cornerstone.

I used hyperbole because you did, that's all and I owe you no apology.

Inhogswetrust

Why would anybody hire Grinch...............he stole Christmas!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

WaltonCollege

You know who knows the SEC? Chives. You know who doesn't know SEC? Robb Smith and Paul  Rhoads. Chives is gonna be like a better Willy Robinson, he's already got the stache to match.

Hogtimes

December 29, 2017, 10:56:29 pm #44 Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:34:09 am by Hogtimes
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 29, 2017, 05:26:45 pm
Too bad we didn't offer him. I'm sure he would have jumped at the chance to leave a program that is now consistently contending for NCs to come here.

The poster I responded to challenged us to name some one we would want more than Chavis...I said Venables.  That is all there is to it.  IIRC Morris said we would hire the best.....

Hogtimes

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 29, 2017, 07:57:39 pm
I disagree, I think Nick Saban is the best and we really missed out by no t hiring him.

Saban has not been a  DC in decades....Venables is the best....at least according to posters on this board

Acehawg

It seems like all great coaches and players fail at A&M

So until one succeeds I'll assume it's a Aggie thing.

Hogwild

our new DC has allowed-

100 points&  1200 yards in his past two games. :-[

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Hogwild on December 29, 2017, 11:44:04 pm
our new DC has allowed-

So, he's still under the Razorback average for the last 5 years ...

SooieGeneris

December 30, 2017, 01:25:25 am #49 Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 01:36:19 am by SooieGeneris
Quote from: Hogwild on December 29, 2017, 11:44:04 pm
our new DC has allowed-

I'll admit, that looks bad. Consider this though: ANY DC that was named to the job would have people on here coming out of the woodwork with some game(s) in which his defense got lit up.

With Grinch: what about AZ, UW and Mich. St. games? 58, 42, 41 pts.

Schiano: what about giving up 93 points combined in back to back games vs PSU and Iowa and losing while giving up 55 to Iowa?

You might have to go back a few years with Kevin Steele, I don't think Auburn had any really bad games the last 2 years on defense, but in 2010-11, his Clemson defense gave up 70 big ones in a Bowl vs WVU. 70. SEVENTY.

And many of the same posters who are throwing a fit over Chavis would throw a party if CM hired Steele. In the Internet age, only what has happened in the last game or two counts it seems like.

A&M had two starters in the secondary out with injuries and Dave Clawson knows Chavis' defensive tendencies really well. If I recall correctly, Clawson was OC at TN before Fulmer was fired and of course, Chavis was still there.

I checked out Wake's schedule. Among the things I found was a 64 point outing with 734 total yards in a win at Syracuse. The same Syracuse that handed Clemson their only loss...

I guess someone should forward this immediately to the playoff committee so they can pull the plug on Clemson and yank them out of the playoff since they lost to a team that lost to Wake Forest. Replace them with the team of the Hogville experts choice ;)

http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=400937519

An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!