Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chavis to be named DC after the bowl game

Started by checkraiser88, December 29, 2017, 01:24:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ceegar

If we were 63rd in defense last year we would probably still have BB as head coach.  So there is that
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

Hogwild

Quote from: The Pulse on December 29, 2017, 02:53:44 pm
Why did Chavis have to wait until after he gave up 40+ points in the Belk bowl to make a move?

I think the decision was made for him, after his last game, when his defense allowed 45 points and over 600 yards.

Torqued pork

This game should be over just in time for the Georgia/OU game.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

FATHAWG08

I love off season Football!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Atlhogfan1

Well that was awful defense.  Maybe holding them to 55 will be enough though.

RaisinHog

Didn't do us supporters any favors in this one lol

UA1985

He's a lauded DC with a reputation for putting players in the NFL. Adding him to our staff would have to make at least some positive difference in recruiting, especially the coveted DE and LB prospects.

hogcards

This reminds me of watching Randal Tex Cobb fight.  The guy would just bleed all over the ring in the hopes that whomever was pounding his face into what resembled a grapefruit, would eventually slip on his blood.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

ridgehog23

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 29, 2017, 02:37:33 pm
38 points should be a game.
And the fans are the ones who support the program. We should have a voice.

Please, don't speak for me!

hogcards

I think this could go into overtime.  Chavis may not be done imitating a bull fighter today.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Sulla

I've been a Chavis defender but 52 points and over 650 yards and we're trailing.

Good riddance.

Atlhogfan1

HighcountryHog

HAHAHAHAHA.  A&M and Chavis suck!  And that blown PI call at the end, too.  It's a conspiracy I tell ya.
no bumps, no fat chicks

hogcards

Quote from: Sulla on December 29, 2017, 04:07:43 pm
I've been a Chavis defender but 52 points and over 650 yards and we're trailing.

Good riddance.

No thank you.

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

HogFansReunited

Quote from: HighcountryHog on December 29, 2017, 04:12:40 pm
HAHAHAHAHA.  A&M and Chavis suck!  And that blown PI call at the end, too.  It's a conspiracy I tell ya.

That was a very bad no call. Not sure how the ref didn't see the guy being tackled before the ball got there.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Sulla

Quote from: HighcountryHog on December 29, 2017, 04:12:40 pm

You're not talking smack from a position of strength there, friend.

And Chavis is your problem now.  Assuming the rumors are true.

RedyorNot

Quote from: hogcards on December 29, 2017, 04:06:00 pm
This reminds me of watching Randal Tex Cobb fight.  The guy would just bleed all over the ring in the hopes that whomever was pounding his face into what resembled a grapefruit, would eventually slip on his blood.

Now that's hilarious 😂

hogcards

Quote from: Sulla on December 29, 2017, 04:15:21 pm

You're not talking smack from a position of strength there, friend.

And Chavis is your problem now.  Assuming the rumors are true.

He's not.  We're goofy, but we're not A & M goofy.

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Bash

Quote from: AP85 on December 29, 2017, 01:27:51 pm
Oh yay....getting creamed by WF sound awesome.

Doubt Chavis was very motivated to put together a game plan for a head coach who isn't retaining him.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

Bash

Quote from: hogcards on December 29, 2017, 04:18:59 pm

Goofy does not even begin to describe A&M.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

AirWarren

Quote from: hogcards on December 29, 2017, 04:18:59 pm

This crap is just weird to me.

redeye

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 29, 2017, 03:18:32 pm
My opinion of Chavis really isn't affected by the bowl game, although that doesn't help.
I'm just wondering why Chavis is so highly paid and highly regarded.
Yes, his SEC resume is long with Tenn, LSU, and A&M.
Yes, I'm sure he knows his stuff.
Yes, I'm sure he's a good coach.

But...what has he really done to make you sit up and think WOW what a great coaching job?
Let's face it, at LSU you will always have better athletes.
At his first stop Tennessee that was back in the time when Tenn had tremendous athletes like Leonard Little, John Henderson, Dwayne Goodrich, etc

I just don't see it.

I'm not opposed to his hire, I do think he's a quality coach, but I do have objections to the amount of money. He's not worth much more than Robb Smith's salary.

Back when Arkansas was flying high with Petrino, LSU was competing for national titles without much of an offense.  Of course, much of that had to do with their great talent, but I just found it incredible that LSU could be so successful with such an awful offense.  Alabama had a great defense and a pretty good offense, Arkansas had a great offense and I'd argue that our defense was better than people thought at the time.  But LSU's offense was horrible and I believe they won games when their defense outscored their offense.

That's the main thing for me.  I'm not certain that Chavis will succeed here, but he's done very well for 2 SEC teams that played for national championships. But the main thing for me is those LSU defenses, because they were nasty.  Having said that, I don't expect to see something equivalent at Arkansas, because of Morris' offense.

hogcards

Quote from: Bash on December 29, 2017, 04:19:21 pm
Doubt Chavis was very motivated to put together a good game plan for his head coach who isn't retaining him.

Yea, that's probably true. 

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

010HogFan

Quote from: Sulla on December 29, 2017, 04:07:43 pm

Good riddance.

Would you try at all knowing it's your last game after getting essentially getting let go? Bowl games are a glorified scrimmage these days.

Freebrd

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 29, 2017, 04:23:09 pm
Would you try at all knowing it's your last game after getting essentially getting let go? Bowl games are a glorified scrimmage these days.
Yes I would because I would STILL be getting paid for the bowl game.  If your not going to try, then move on

31to6

Quote from: RedyorNot on December 29, 2017, 02:09:16 pm
He's following Coach Morris and 8 of our current players on Twitter for what it's worth...
thx

010HogFan

Quote from: Freebrd on December 29, 2017, 04:25:03 pm
Yes I would because I would STILL be getting paid for the bowl game.  If your not going to try, then move on

Well, he actually is moving on, so...

LZH

Doubt Chavis was very motivated to put together a game plan for a head coach who isn't retaining him.

And if so, you want Arkansas to pay a man like that seven figures to coach here? What about those kids?

hogcards

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 29, 2017, 04:23:09 pm

Stop defending him.  They're not hiring this clown.

It makes people here look like sheep.

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

redeye

Quote from: nesjunk on December 29, 2017, 01:53:03 pm
Bowl games have become a joke.  Many teams playing without their coaches.  How is this a real comparison between these teams? Ugh.

I've been thinking the same thing and it is crazy.

I'm also not a fan of basketball on grass, but if you can't beat those teams, then you might as well join them.

010HogFan

Quote from: hogcards on December 29, 2017, 04:27:25 pm

How much you want to wager?

elksnort

I would think if you were a professional competitive and had some pride in your craft that you would care about what your defense looks like in the football game if you are defensive coordinator. But oh well what do I know

checkraiser88

Quote from: hogcards on December 29, 2017, 04:27:25 pm

I'll give you 10-1 odds that he's not hired here and you name the price

ricepig

hawganatic

No matter how some of you guys spin it, if we hire Chavis, he will be the best DC we have had here in a long time.

hawganatic

Quote from: elksnort on December 29, 2017, 04:29:30 pm
I would think if you were a professional competitive and had some pride in your craft that you would care about what your defense looks like in the football game if you are defensive coordinator. But oh well what do I know

Seriously doubt the players cared either.  Hard to put a good game plan together under those conditions.

elksnort

Quote from: hawganatic on December 29, 2017, 04:32:48 pm
No matter how some of you guys spin it, if we hire Chavis, he will be the best DC we have had here in a long time.

He will be as good as the talent he has that plays for him.

010HogFan

Quote from: hawganatic on December 29, 2017, 04:32:48 pm

People can't seem to get that through their heads. It's a really solid hire. We could hire Nick Saban to run the defense and people would still find a reason to complain.

Kevin

what defensive coordinator, consistently stops spread teams?

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

LZH

Quote from: hawganatic on December 29, 2017, 04:33:42 pm
Seriously doubt the players cared either.  Hard to put a good game plan together under those conditions.

You're outta your [CENSORED] mind if you think those seniors playing their last football game didn't care. You never played so stfu.

HawgTide

checkraiser88

Quote from: LZH on December 29, 2017, 04:37:12 pm
You're outta your [CENSORED] mind if you think those seniors playing their last football game didn't care. You never played so stfu.

I'm sure you were an all American in college football lol

elksnort

Quote from: hawganatic on December 29, 2017, 04:33:42 pm
Then they lack character.

It's a football game, it's a competition representing your school.  If you don't care and you're not trying then you got character issues.
No wonder our society in our country are going down the damn toilet.  It's not like it's the crappy ass NBA where they play hundred or rather 80-something games or the Major League Baseball where they play a hundred sixty something games

elksnort

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 29, 2017, 04:38:19 pm
I'm sure you were an all American in college football lol
what the hell does one having to be an All-American have to do about giving some effort?

Freebrd

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 29, 2017, 04:26:44 pm
Well, he actually is moving on, so...
I erroneously gave people the benefit of the doubt of understanding that 'by move on', I meant PRIOR to the bowl game since he chose not to do what he was getting paid to do.

checkraiser88

Quote from: elksnort on December 29, 2017, 04:39:54 pm
what the hell does one having to be an All-American have to do about giving some effort?

Read what I responded to, it's called sarcasm buddy

010HogFan

Quote from: Freebrd on December 29, 2017, 04:39:59 pm
I erroneously gave people the benefit of the doubt of understanding that 'by move on', I meant PRIOR to the bowl game since he chose not to do what he was getting paid to do.

We know nothing about the way his departure was handled. Hard feelings can make people behave (or coach) differently. Hard to speculate on such a fluid situation.