Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema Buyout not Final?

Started by rhog1, December 21, 2017, 12:06:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhog1

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/dec/21/bielema-s-buyout-deal-not-yet-final-ua-/
Nearly one month after his firing, former University of Arkansas, Fayetteville football coach Bret Bielema's reported $11.8 million buyout agreement with the program has not been finalized, officials said Wednesday.

A third-party agreement with the Razorback Foundation, which refuses to release that document, set Bielema's buyout at more than $11 million, according to a source close to the program. The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in October reported the buyout as $5.9 million, based on a legal analysis of Bielema's contract with the university.

Because the agreement has been categorized as "a public record related to personnel," Bielema has until today to decide whether he wants to request that Arkansas Attorney General Leslie Rutledge issue an opinion on whether it can be withheld

Sounds like the Demozette is trying to get Bret's buyout agreement with the Razorback Foundation and Bret has today to try to keep it sealed. Also seems like they are still trying to reach a deal on what we owe him.

Hoggish1

rhog1

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: rhog1 on December 21, 2017, 12:58:39 pm
Why? It is an article from today.

I vote to keep. I think this stuff is interesting and it's not like there's a lot to talk about right now.

hog of steele

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 21, 2017, 12:52:48 pm
Trash can, please

This is important here. First there is some crow to eat by a number of message board lawyers who berated those who thought that the contract was for 11 or that it wasn't exactly clear.

Second (and more importantly) it goes to the Long question. I thought that the only reason to fire long was the ridiculous buyout. At 5 million, he was in a standard kind of contract and Long had done a fine job. At 11 million, he cost us a bunch of money and he should be fired.

The size of the buyout matters. And I am curious.

Redhogs

Quote from: rhog1 on December 21, 2017, 12:06:53 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/dec/21/bielema-s-buyout-deal-not-yet-final-ua-/
Nearly one month after his firing, former University of Arkansas, Fayetteville football coach Bret Bielema's reported $11.8 million buyout agreement with the program has not been finalized, officials said Wednesday.

A third-party agreement with the Razorback Foundation, which refuses to release that document, set Bielema's buyout at more than $11 million, according to a source close to the program. The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in October reported the buyout as $5.9 million, based on a legal analysis of Bielema's contract with the university.

Because the agreement has been categorized as "a public record related to personnel," Bielema has until today to decide whether he wants to request that Arkansas Attorney General Leslie Rutledge issue an opinion on whether it can be withheld

Sounds like the Demozette is trying to get Bret's buyout agreement with the Razorback Foundation and Bret has today to try to keep it sealed. Also seems like they are still trying to reach a deal on what we owe him.
On what we owe him?? Hell, he should be giving money back..what a waste.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: hog of steele on December 21, 2017, 01:04:19 pm
This is important here. First there is some crow to eat by a number of message board lawyers who berated those who thought that the contract was for 11 or that it wasn't exactly clear.

Second (and more importantly) it goes to the Long question. I thought that the only reason to fire long was the ridiculous buyout. At 5 million, he was in a standard kind of contract and Long had done a fine job. At 11 million, he cost us a bunch of money and he should be fired.

This... We eat our own, but we should know how to say we were wrong...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

rhog1

It seems like he had a standard buyout of 5 million, plus a secondary agreement with the Razorback Foundation. It is this second agreement that is going to end up costing so much. Also seems like the Foundation and the UofA really don't want to release the terms of this second agreement.

Hoggish1

Quote from: rhog1 on December 21, 2017, 12:58:39 pm
Why? It is an article from today.

Before he was fired it was news.  Now it isn't for me, or I suspect for a vast majority on this or any other board interested in the Hogs.

We have moved on and it isn't productive—it's just a way to stir the pot, which now contains cold left overs that nobody wants to eat. 

Leave this for the legal eagles to sort out at the foundation.  I could care less what BB gets or doesn't get now that we have a new coach.

Hoggish1

I thought that the only reason to fire long was the ridiculous buyout. At 5 million, he was in a standard kind of contract and Long had done a fine job. At 11 million, he cost us a bunch of money and he should be fired.

If you think BB's contract at 11 mil was a reason to fire Long but at 5 was not then you missed a lot about Long.  The contract was the least of his problems at Arkansas.

hog of steele

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 21, 2017, 01:16:37 pm
If you think BB's contract at 11 mil was a reason to fire Long but at 5 was not then you missed a lot about Long.  The contract was the least of his problems at Arkansas.

I simply disagree with that assessment.

BearsBisonsBoars

You sure are in this thread a lot for someone who thinks it should be trashed.

razorbackfaninar

I'm still not clear on why we fired Long.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on December 21, 2017, 01:50:48 pm

Something something,  Yankee,  something something,  Pepsi

rhog1

I'm not either. I would love to hear the real reason. Other than Bret Bielema needing to be fired I thought he was doing a great job.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: rhog1 on December 21, 2017, 02:00:41 pm
I'm not either. I would love to hear the real reason. Other than Bret Bielema needing to be fired I thought he was doing a great job.
We didn't win enough football games that's why.

bob slydell

Quote from: rhog1 on December 21, 2017, 01:08:31 pm
It seems like he had a standard buyout of 5 million, plus a secondary agreement with the Razorback Foundation. It is this second agreement that is going to end up costing so much. Also seems like the Foundation and the UofA really don't want to release the terms of this second agreement.

Why would the RF have to release the terms of the second agreement?  If it is fact a thing, wouldn't that be a contract with a private entity?
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

PorkSoda

I'm guessing it had something to do with our attempt at Malzahn.  not officially of course

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

DiamondHogFan

rhog1

Quote from: Bob Slydell on December 21, 2017, 02:04:31 pm
Why would the RF have to release the terms of the second agreement?  If it is fact a thing, wouldn't that be a contract with a private entity?
The Arkansas Supreme Court ruled in City of Fayetteville v. Edmark that a private attorney working on behalf of the City of Fayetteville was working as a de facto city attorney and his records would need to be open for inspection. So a search firm or a Foundation working on behalf of the University to negotiate for a coach or pay a buyout would probably be seen in court as a de facto agent of the state and then would be required to have its records open in this private/public mush.

This is the explanation I saw on another board. It seems like maybe the Foundation isn't protected anymore by being a private entity.

hogcards

I just read the buyout was actually 5.9.  Where is this 11+ coming from?
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Tusks

If some of you guys don't like the topic then don't read the thread. 

Don't dictate to me what I find interesting or want to read about as it pertains to hog sports, the razorback foundation or any other topic.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hogcards

Firing Petrino
Hiring Smith
Hiring Bielema

Hope this helps.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

hog of steele

Quote from: hogcards on December 21, 2017, 02:29:31 pm
I just read the buyout was actually 5.9.  Where is this 11+ coming from?

It has been reported widely on national sites and in local media. This is why this should be ferreted out. I want to know how much we paid for CBB to become BB.

hog of steele

Quote from: hogcards on December 21, 2017, 02:30:53 pm

Firing Petrino
Hiring Smith
Hiring Bielema

Hope this helps.

Weird that we fired him for doing a great job.

buldozer

The university and the foundation is going to keep mixing this up with the DemGaz and refusing to turn over the documents until they get slapped down with a court order it appears.... not smart. They should be up front and transparent, because if they aren't careful the court might just deal with the constitutionality of requiring the public to donate to a private foundation as a quid pro quo to purchase athletic tickets from a public institution funded by Arkansas citizen's tax dollars......and the house might just burn down.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hogcards on December 21, 2017, 02:30:53 pm

Firing Petrino
Hiring Smith
Hiring Bielema

Hope this helps.

So we fired him for a bunch of stuff he did 5 years ago?  That's a long time to wait.

Dwight_K_Shrute

All AD's make good hires and bad hires.  Look at Jeremy Foley at Florida considered one of the best.  Hired Zook, Meyer, Muschamp, and Swamp Donkey for Football.  Only 1 out of those 4 could be considered a long term successful hire.

Jeff Long didn't kiss the right a**.  Plain and simple.  Now this is fine if your football coach is winning.  All the other stuff, the expansion project, Pepsi, not kissing up to the GOBs is noise on the periphery if BB wins 7 this year, but when the HC is such an abject failure and you act like he's the right man for the job your a** is going to get run.  Bert was his albatross.  You can talk about the rest all you want but in the end Bert brought Jeff down.   
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ricepig

Quote from: Bob Slydell on December 21, 2017, 02:04:31 pm
Because the contract was forward to the general counsel of the UofA, or somewhere amongst heir "network" , they are going to release it tomorrow if Bielema doesn't object.

ricepig

Quote from: buldozer on December 21, 2017, 02:40:08 pm
The university and the foundation is going to keep mixing this up with the DemGaz and refusing to turn over the documents until they get slapped down with a court order it appears.... not smart. They should be up front and transparent, because if they aren't careful the court might just deal with the constitutionality of requiring the public to donate to a private foundation as a quid pro quo to purchase athletic tickets from a public institution funded by Arkansas citizen's tax dollars......and the house might just burn down.

Lol, along with every other private foundation. It isn't that simple, or even that serious of a deal.

hog of steele

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 21, 2017, 03:00:59 pm
All AD's make good hires and bad hires.  Look at Jeremy Foley at Florida considered one of the best.  Hired Zook, Meyer, Muschamp, and Swamp Donkey for Football.  Only 1 out of those 4 could be considered a long term successful hire.

Jeff Long didn't kiss the right a**.  Plain and simple.  Now this is fine if your football coach is winning.  All the other stuff, the expansion project, Pepsi, not kissing up to the GOBs is noise on the periphery if BB wins 7 this year, but when the HC is such an abject failure and you act like he's the right man for the job your a** is going to get run.  Bert was his albatross.  You can talk about the rest all you want but in the end Bert brought Jeff down.

This is true. It is amazing to me how petty folks can be. But if you don't kiss the right rings, you make your road tougher.

BB brought down Jeff. If the buyout was 12 million, that is a fair result. If I cost my employer 6 million, I would be fired too.

razorbackfaninar

I know, but I enjoy the folks who like to make justifications about why he was fired.  It was a lot of fun during the time after Long was let go when we were all being told it was so we could bring in an Arkansas guy who understood Arkansas football, a guy like Yuracheck. 

rmcchris

Plus my money (and yours) helps pay for that crap, so lots of people like me are interested.

wildturkey8

Quote from: ricepig on December 21, 2017, 03:04:30 pm
Lol, along with every other private foundation. It isn't that simple, or even that serious of a deal.
Not every foundation.  Not even close.  RF is so entangled with a public entity, that it may not even be considered "private".  They have been lucky no one has pushed this issue.  That is probably going to change.

Jimbob111

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 21, 2017, 01:12:01 pm
Before he was fired it was news.  Now it isn't for me, or I suspect for a vast majority on this or any other board interested in the Hogs.

We have moved on and it isn't productive—it's just a way to stir the pot, which now contains cold left overs that nobody wants to eat. 

Leave this for the legal eagles to sort out at the foundation.  I could care less what BB gets or doesn't get now that we have a new coach.

So you vote to trash the thread because it's something you don't care about reading? You could have tried to NOT click on the thread.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

rmcchris

December 21, 2017, 03:56:30 pm #35 Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:09:52 pm by rmcchris

Relationships matter in all kinds of businesses.  Long didn't care or develop many in AR. This is correct, about the kiss the right a**.  I know a few first hand accounts.  One big donor and I mean big (with big chicken ties and not Ross Perot!) wanted a relative (U/A student) to be able to propose in the stadium on the 50 yard line. Not during a game or event mind you, just some time when no one was around. Ole Jeff L, said no way and not even nicely and with the comment,  "if I do it for you, I have to do it for everyone".  Probably something to that statement and something that I can understand to a point, but it was also how he said it. Also the counter debate is if you support and support to the tune of millions to a private foundation, is such a request just totally out of line?  Another good one involved a former Razorback BB player (who has a statute in the museum area mind you) parking place at the Bud. Ole Jeff took away his spot by the door and advised it was due to lack of donations vs. others.  Not a good PR move, right or wrong.  There is more on the relationship front from his ten years, these are just a couple of good ones. 

HogPharmer

Quote from: Jimbob111 on December 21, 2017, 03:52:28 pm
So you vote to trash the thread because it's something you don't care about reading? You could have tried to NOT click on the thread.

If only the thread title was more indicative of what the thread was actually about......
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

sickboy

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on December 21, 2017, 02:52:25 pm
So we fired him for a bunch of stuff he did 5 years ago?  That's a long time to wait.

Things move slow up in them there hills.

grayhawg

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on December 21, 2017, 02:52:25 pm
I guess it took that long for the PTB to realize he was not doing a good job, and some still don't get it.

HoggyCat

Quote from: hog of steele on December 21, 2017, 02:31:34 pm
Weird that we fired him for doing a great job.

Define "great job". What made him so great??

No one can ever answer this question.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

hog of steele

Quote from: HoggyCat on December 21, 2017, 05:16:04 pm
Define "great job". What made him so great??

No one can ever answer this question.

Hired BP.
Made the hard call to fire BP.
Hired a winning coach away from a better (currently) program.
Improved every facility
Kicked the gobn out of the athletic department
Followed a legend and made the Razorbacks run more efficiently
Had national respect
He left AR as a top athletic department nationally

Just that stuff.

ricepig

Quote from: wildturkey8 on December 21, 2017, 03:51:16 pm
Not every foundation.  Not even close.  RF is so entangled with a public entity, that it may not even be considered "private".  They have been lucky no one has pushed this issue.  That is probably going to change.

I doubt it, they can push all they want, and every university's foundations athletic and academic fall into the same category,  big rock to push uphill. They'll just do a better job on their emails, lol.

Beached

Because he fired Petrino, hired JLS, hired Bert, gave Bert more money than he was worth, and pissed off people with real money.

The last one is probably the most relevant.

It should have come a lot sooner. 

Beached

Quote from: hog of steele on December 21, 2017, 06:18:32 pm
Hired BP.  Fell into his lap
Made the hard call to fire BP.  Self-Aggrandizing move
Hired a winning coach away from a better (currently) program. Without doing any due diligence as to how or why that coach was actually winning (not due to anything he himself was doing)
Improved every facility With SEC money anyone who could fog a mirror could have accomplished this
Kicked the gobn out of the athletic department 
Followed a legend and made the Razorbacks run more efficiently  Define 'run'... and how we've become more efficient in recent years due to anything other than technology
Had national respect  Everyone in the Big Ten loves Indiana too
He left AR as a top athletic department nationally Translated - he didn't screw up Track or Baseball

Just that stuff.

hog of steele

If the one thing you didn't excuse is all he did. That is enough to appreciate his time at AR.

Beached

Quote from: hog of steele on December 21, 2017, 06:49:53 pm
If the one thing you didn't excuse is all he did. That is enough to appreciate his time at AR.

Well, the jury is out on that one... let's see how much our new AD embraces (or coerces) the Money being involved in the program.

hog of steele

Quote from: Beached on December 21, 2017, 07:06:50 pm
Well, the jury is out on that one... let's see how much our new AD embraces (or coerces) the Money being involved in the program.

LOL. There it is. If you have an excuse as to why every good thing that happened can't be credited to the guy in charge, you are not being rational.  If you can't think of at least a few good things that long did in his decade, your problem is emotional, not logical.

wachhog

The huge pot of lard that is Bret Bielema, aided and abetted by Jeff Long and his Integrity warriors,  cost our program big time. Few will move on till we start winning. Some won't move on until and unless we win as we did under Bobby.

JaketheSnake

Moved on?  Hogville never moves on. First dropped pass next year will have posters clamoring for BP again. First sack of the year and we will be hearing how we should have kept B.B. for that kind of play.  If we lose 2 in a row... CM will be Jack Crowe in a hurry.

Hogville is the wife that never forgets and brings stuff from the past up at every opportunity.

ricepig

Bielema had requested an Attorney General's opinion on whether he has to release his file/contract, so no release for a few days.