Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are we currently still 30 program?

Started by Hogwild, December 12, 2017, 08:55:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

If we aren't a top 30 program how what to we need to do to get there? What areas, aside from winning, are we lacking? Recruiting and geography have been discussed on this board, but are we that worse off than Nebraska, BYU, Ok State, Washington?

The Houston Chronicle ranked the top 20 programs currently:

The top 10 was based on the following criteria

1. Facilities.

2. History (recent and past).

3. Money (that a school spends -and not on recruits).

4. Recruiting (the area from which to draw).

5. Conference.

6. Attendance/game day atmosphere/campus geography.

7. Brand name/prestige.

8. Exposure/TV.

9. NFL draftees.

10. Coaching (stability)
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/college-football/article/Rating-the-country-s-top-20-college-football-12419219.php?utm_campaign=twitter-premium&utm_source=CMS%20Sharing%20Button&utm_medium=social

The top 10 were
1. Alabama (146)
2. Ohio State (133)
3. Texas (100)
4. Oklahoma (97)
4. Southern Cal (97)
6. Michigan (90)
6. Notre Dame (90)
8. Clemson (78)
9. LSU (68)
10. Texas A&M (59)
11. Florida State (54)
12. Florida (39)
13. Georgia (37)
14. Auburn (31)
15. Miami (26)
16. Oregon (25)
17. Penn State (18)
18. Wisconsin (6)
19. Nebraska (5)
20. UCLA (4)

Also receiving votes: Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Louisville, BYU, Boise State and Washington.

Wooderson

We have not won a conference championship in 29 years.  That is all that needs to be said.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Wooderson on December 12, 2017, 08:59:50 am
We have not won a conference championship in 29 years.  That is all that needs to be said.

Correct I was 22 years old and Hatfield was the Coach.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DukeOfPork

I can't really argue with that list.  Nebraska and UCLA are the only schools that you could even debate whether we should be ahead of them.

Recruiting, demographics, and lack of a winning tradition in the modern era are our main shortcomings. 

RME

Quote from: Wooderson on December 12, 2017, 08:59:50 am

Is that the only criteria for being a top 30 program? Winning a conference championship in the last 29 years?

That out of the way, I don't disagree with the Chronicle's rankings or rationales.

Wooderson

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 12, 2017, 09:05:00 am
Is that the only criteria for being a top 30 program? Winning a conference championship in the last 29 years?

That out of the way, I don't disagree with the Chronicle's rankings or rationales.

If you are not relevant in your conference then how can you be relevant nationally?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogwild on December 12, 2017, 08:55:54 am
If we aren't a top 30 program how what to we need to do to get there? What areas, aside from winning, are we lacking? Recruiting and geography have been discussed on this board, but are we that worse off than Nebraska, BYU, Ok State, Washington?

1. Facilities.

5. Conference.

7. Brand name/prestige.

8. Exposure/TV.

9. NFL draftees.

10. Coaching (stability)
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/college-football/article/Rating-the-country-s-top-20-college-football-12419219.php?utm_campaign=twitter-premium&utm_source=CMS%20Sharing%20Button&utm_medium=social

The top 10 were
1. Alabama (146)
2. Ohio State (133)
3. Texas (100)
4. Oklahoma (97)
4. Southern Cal (97)
6. Michigan (90)
6. Notre Dame (90)
8. Clemson (78)
9. LSU (68)
10. Texas A&M (59)
11. Florida State (54)
12. Florida (39)
13. Georgia (37)
14. Auburn (31)
15. Miami (26)
16. Oregon (25)
17. Penn State (18)
18. Wisconsin (6)
19. Nebraska (5)
20. UCLA (4)

Also receiving votes: Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Louisville, BYU, Boise State and Washington.

Based on this criteria, our problem areas:

2.  recent history - as you said winning would take care of
4.  recruiting - can't fix but some dream Texas is the answer
6.  campus geography although Fay games have improved greatly
7.  somewhat faded - win more
10. although we've only had 3 full time coaches since 1998 and gave BB 5 seasons, perception with the BP to JLS to BB to CM is one of instability - CM needs to win

Ok St - higher because of lesser competition leading to more recent success, coaching stability

Nebraska - history, brand from it and stadium/gameday - we can't make up for the difference in history, can't change our geography for gameday atmosphere - NU is a has been program whose only real hope is they play in a division with other programs who recruit in the upper MW wasteland

Washington - history, very recent success, great stadium/gameday, we can't build a lake outside the NEZ, brand right now

BYU - history, brand - not better than ours, stadium setting - doesn't get much better but smaller - this is a program which has really faded

VT - biggest frauds in college football, but ESPN built them a strong brand and hyped their gameday atmosphere

Boise - second biggest frauds, brand will fade, must have put a lot of weight on their recent "success" and maybe the blue field

Lou - another product of schedule, new stadium being expanded, good brand

We start winning again, these will be easy to pass if this poll is done again with this criteria with the exception of Nebraska because people will weigh their (fading) history so much and Washington as they'll keep winning in the PAC 12 North and have the other categories mostly covered.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RME

Quote from: Wooderson on December 12, 2017, 09:15:42 am
If you are not relevant in your conference then how can you be relevant nationally?

You're only relevant in your conference if you win the conference championship?

Hugo Bezdek

1. Facilities.

5. Conference.

7. Brand name/prestige.

8. Exposure/TV.

9. NFL draftees.

10. Coaching (stability)

The top 10 were
1. Alabama (146)
2. Ohio State (133)
3. Texas (100)
4. Oklahoma (97)
4. Southern Cal (97)
6. Michigan (90)
6. Notre Dame (90)
8. Clemson (78)
9. LSU (68)
10. Texas A&M (59)
11. Florida State (54)
12. Florida (39)
13. Georgia (37)
14. Auburn (31)
15. Miami (26)
16. Oregon (25)
17. Penn State (18)
18. Wisconsin (6)
19. Nebraska (5)
20. UCLA (4)

Financially we are. Ten years ago Darren McFadden was a two-time Heisman finalist and Doak Walker Award winner and eleven years ago we played in the SEC championship game. We've also had a Top 5 finish, a Sugar Bowl and a Cotton Bowl prior to our most recent coach so I'd say it depends on what timeline you're looking at. And it's easy to forget given how we finished in 2016, but we were even ranked in the Top 25 most of the season in 2016 before collapsing. Our lows have been pretty low though and that's where we are now so we're easy to discount.

Wooderson

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 12, 2017, 09:17:24 am
You're only relevant in your conference if you win the conference championship?

Pretty much.  You're either first, or you're last.  I guess you could say we get a participation trophy every year with that big ole' SEC check.  Does so much for us fans.  16 conference championships in our history, and yet not one in the last 29 years.  Very little to be proud of except we are "Long on integrity".  It gets us so much.

Pig in the Pokey

1. Facilities.

5. Conference.

7. Brand name/prestige.

8. Exposure/TV.

9. NFL draftees.

10. Coaching (stability)

The top 10 were
1. Alabama (146)
2. Ohio State (133)
3. Texas (100)
4. Oklahoma (97)
4. Southern Cal (97)
6. Michigan (90)
6. Notre Dame (90)
8. Clemson (78)
9. LSU (68)
10. Texas A&M (59)
11. Florida State (54)
12. Florida (39)
13. Georgia (37)
14. Auburn (31)
15. Miami (26)
16. Oregon (25)
17. Penn State (18)
18. Wisconsin (6)
19. Nebraska (5)
20. UCLA (4)

any list that has A&M as a top 10 program is a tainted list.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

RME

Quote from: Wooderson on December 12, 2017, 09:46:43 am
Pretty much.  You're either first, or you're last.  I guess you could say we get a participation trophy every year with that big ole' SEC check.  Does so much for us fans.  16 conference championships in our history, and yet not one in the last 29 years.  Very little to be proud of except we are "Long on integrity".  It gets us so much.

I do agree with you on the "S-E-C!" mindset, and I will never pull for our opponents (who want to kick our head in every year) to have success.

But I don't think you have to win your conference championship to be nationally relevant.

RME

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 12, 2017, 09:47:56 am
any list that has A&M as a top 10 program is a tainted list.

A&M checks off highly on 8 if not 9 of the 10 items on that list.

Facilities
Money
Recruiting
Conference
Attendance
Brand Name
Exposure
NFL Draftees

Hoggish1

Just wondering why you didn't use my poll of top 30 programs?

pghawg1

I would say we were relevant when we went 21-5 in Petrino's last 2 years.# 5 in the nation before the motorcycle wreck.

hogsanity

Quote from: DukeOfPork on December 12, 2017, 09:04:15 am

Recruiting, demographics, and lack of a winning tradition in the modern era are our main shortcomings. 

And recruiting and demographics have directly lead to no winning tradition in the modern era.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

NaturalStateReb

1. Facilities.

5. Conference.

7. Brand name/prestige.

8. Exposure/TV.

9. NFL draftees.

10. Coaching (stability)

The top 10 were
1. Alabama (146)
2. Ohio State (133)
3. Texas (100)
4. Oklahoma (97)
4. Southern Cal (97)
6. Michigan (90)
6. Notre Dame (90)
8. Clemson (78)
9. LSU (68)
10. Texas A&M (59)
11. Florida State (54)
12. Florida (39)
13. Georgia (37)
14. Auburn (31)
15. Miami (26)
16. Oregon (25)
17. Penn State (18)
18. Wisconsin (6)
19. Nebraska (5)
20. UCLA (4)

Nebraska, UCLA, Tennessee, Louisville, BYU, and Washington shouldn't have spots on that list.  VT and Wisconsin are marginal and Notre Dame, as usual, is too high.  Michigan State probably should be on this list near the bottom.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 12, 2017, 09:17:21 am
Based on this criteria, our problem areas:

2.  recent history - as you said winning would take care of
4.  recruiting - can't fix but some dream Texas is the answer
6.  campus geography although Fay games have improved greatly
7.  somewhat faded - win more
10. although we've only had 3 full time coaches since 1998 and gave BB 5 seasons, perception with the BP to JLS to BB to CM is one of instability - CM needs to win

Ok St - higher because of lesser competition leading to more recent success, coaching stability

Nebraska - history, brand from it and stadium/gameday - we can't make up for the difference in history, can't change our geography for gameday atmosphere - NU is a has been program whose only real hope is they play in a division with other programs who recruit in the upper MW wasteland

Washington - history, very recent success, great stadium/gameday, we can't build a lake outside the NEZ, brand right now

BYU - history, brand - not better than ours, stadium setting - doesn't get much better but smaller - this is a program which has really faded

VT - biggest frauds in college football, but ESPN built them a strong brand and hyped their gameday atmosphere

Boise - second biggest frauds, brand will fade, must have put a lot of weight on their recent "success" and maybe the blue field

Lou - another product of schedule, new stadium being expanded, good brand

We start winning again, these will be easy to pass if this poll is done again with this criteria with the exception of Nebraska because people will weigh their (fading) history so much and Washington as they'll keep winning in the PAC 12 North and have the other categories mostly covered.

Don't tell me I have to educate Hogville on how Virginia Tech was a national power for well over a decade again

hog of steele

If we aren't a top 30 program how what to we need to do to get there?

Win games. Get top 25 finishes. Its simple enough, even if it isn't easy.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Wooderson on December 12, 2017, 09:46:43 am

Alabama didn't win a conference championship this year, and could win the national championship. By your logic they are not relevant this year.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: steveaustin69 on December 12, 2017, 10:29:17 am
Don't tell me I have to educate Hogville on how Virginia Tech was a national power for well over a decade again

You aren't alone in this argument, Steve. VT was, in fact, a national power for many years under Beamer.

Cinco de Hogo

All one can say about this discussion is it makes me sick!!!  Look we can blame coaches all we want but the problem is with the administration and always has been.  Terrible terrible job they have done for a long time now and since it's business as usual I'm not getting excited about a coach until he does something special and the administration doesn't fire him with (be)cause...he wins!

hawgdavis

The list will also change a lot over the next 5-8 years, most of the names that are on there will remain but what I noticed is some names that moved into that list that would not have been there 10 years ago. My point being is that if you put together a consistent run over a period say the next 7-10 years you will be on the list and let's say Saban retires and USC falls back off LSU keeps Coach O they will fall way down or off a list like this. History repeats itself in sports big time so we do have a shot.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 12, 2017, 10:17:08 am
And recruiting and demographics have directly lead to no winning tradition in the modern era.

Yeah, because football was integrated in 1992.   :puke: :puke:

You force your schtick into every thread.  Atlanta is pretty close on this one.  Some of the teams on this list have no business being ranked ahead of Arkansas, but it is the grand culmination of the opinions of 10 employees of the Houston Chronicle.  Texas number 3?  Texas A&M number 10?  Right.

Arkansas has had one head coach since 1992 equal to the three it had from 1958-1989.  He had the Hogs at 5 to end his last season.  They were ranked 8 in preseason after he was fired.  It has been about coaching.  Arkansas won 10 straight with Malzahn as OC.  It's about coaching. 

Arkansas has the potential to be a top 20 program based on the HC's criteria.  It would have been 5 years ago.  You don't judge college football programs based on the most recent five years. 

Arkansas needs to win more.  We will.  That is all.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Uncommon

I think we're a Top 20 program. Top 25 at worst. Just need the right leader to get us there and stop making excuses.

Beached

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 12, 2017, 10:58:22 am

You force your schtick into every thread.  Atlanta is pretty close on this one.  Some of the teams on this list have no business being ranked ahead of Arkansas, but it is the grand culmination of the opinions of 10 employees of the Houston Chronicle.  Texas number 3?  Texas A&M number 10?  Right.

Arkansas has had one head coach since 1992 equal to the three it had from 1958-1989.  He had the Hogs at 5 to end his last season.  They were ranked 8 in preseason after he was fired.  It has been about coaching.  Arkansas won 10 straight with Malzahn as OC.  It's about coaching. 

Arkansas has the potential to be a top 20 program based on the HC's criteria.  It would have been 5 years ago.  You don't judge college football programs based on the most recent five years. 

Yes, and

Quote from: Uncommon on December 12, 2017, 10:58:59 am
I think we're a Top 20 program. Top 25 at worst. Just need the right leader to get us there and stop making excuses.

Yes. 

Razorstubble

5 years of Bert and Long hurt us bad. Real bad.  Hopefully we can change that with the new regime.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 12, 2017, 10:58:22 am

I did not say I agreed with the list, but I agree Arkansas is not a top 30 program. Have not won a conf title in almost 30 years, and the last one was in a dying swc. Have only played for the sec title 3 times, and were blown out in tow of those 3 seccg appearances. Played in one bcs bowl ( 50 other fbs programs played in at least one fbs bowl ). And are coming off the worst 5 year stretch in the program in my lifetime ( I am 47 ).

I also did not say it could not become a top 25 or top 20 program, but I have serious doubts it can be maintained at that level.

You can try to act like the recruiting problems are not real, and I suspect you do so because you know they are very real and are not going to be overcome in the near future, but your denial of those things does not mean they do not exist.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

a program is not a top 20 or 25 program just because the fans think it is. A program becomes a top 20, 25 program by winning games and being in the top 25 every year for several seasons.

carolinahogger

If these teams are currently in the teens then we are way outside the top 30:
11. Florida State (54)
12. Florida (39)
13. Georgia (37)
14. Auburn (31)
15. Miami (26)
16. Oregon (25)
17. Penn State (18)
18. Wisconsin (6)

Beached

Quote from: hogsanity on December 12, 2017, 11:05:28 am
I did not say I agreed with the list, but I agree Arkansas is not a top 30 program. Have not won a conf title in almost 30 years, and the last one was in a dying swc. Have only played for the sec title 3 times, and were blown out in tow of those 3 seccg appearances. Played in one bcs bowl ( 50 other fbs programs played in at least one fbs bowl ). And are coming off the worst 5 year stretch in the program in my lifetime ( I am 47 ).

I also did not say it could not become a top 25 or top 20 program, but I have serious doubts it can be maintained at that level.

You can try to act like the recruiting problems are not real, and I suspect you do so because you know they are very real and are not going to be overcome in the near future, but your denial of those things does not mean they do not exist.

I can just envision the day to day unhappiness that just follows you around. 

hogsanity - generally characterized as a pessimistic, gloomy, depressed, anhedonic, old grey bitch on Hogville.

Personality: Negative, Dismal, Pessimistic, Sarcastic, Depressed, Gloomy, Cynical

247Hog

Quote from: carolinahogger on December 12, 2017, 11:08:20 am
11. Florida State (54)
12. Florida (39)
13. Georgia (37)
14. Auburn (31)
15. Miami (26)
16. Oregon (25)
17. Penn State (18)
18. Wisconsin (6)

I think Miami is crap on the list. This was the first year they have done anything in football in a LONG time. Even being in the top 25 this year, the fan turn out still sucked.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

hogsanity

Quote from: Beached on December 12, 2017, 11:10:42 am
I can just envision the day to day unhappiness that just follows you around. 

hogsanity - generally characterized as a pessimistic, gloomy, depressed, anhedonic, old grey bitch on Hogville.

Personality: Negative, Dismal, Pessimistic, Sarcastic, Depressed, Gloomy, Cynical

Ah the tried and true "cant dispute what he said so lets just call him names" approach.

Uncommon

Quote from: hogsanity on December 12, 2017, 11:06:40 am
a program is not a top 20 or 25 program just because the fans think it is. A program becomes a top 20, 25 program by winning games and being in the top 25 every year for several seasons.
It's not my opinion, it's a fact. Our program has a value in the Top 20. We should be there. Petrino proved it. Just because there was incompetence here for the last two seasons doesn't mean our program is less valuable. So that means Tennessee and Texas have lower values as well then with their mediocrity the last 5 seasons too. Well that's pure BS.

HotlantaHog

Clemson seems underrated at 8th compared to Michigan, Southern Cal, Texas and Notre Dame... what have any of those schools done lately?

Texas A&M at 10? Ahead of Florida State, which won a championship not long ago and is regularly in the top 4-5? Give me a break...

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: carolinahogger on December 12, 2017, 11:08:20 am
11. Florida State (54)
12. Florida (39)
13. Georgia (37)
14. Auburn (31)
15. Miami (26)
16. Oregon (25)
17. Penn State (18)
18. Wisconsin (6)

Not based on the criteria for this ranking. We are strong or at least good in multiple areas. 

Quote from: steveaustin69 on December 12, 2017, 10:29:17 am

http://www.tiptop25.com/overrated_ap_poll_era.html

"#2 Virginia Tech is the better threat to one day supplant Brigham Young at the top. VT was actually underrated 4 times in the 1990s, when Frank Beamer first built them up, but ever since they played in the national championship game for the 1999 season, they have been overrated 7 times. Of course, maybe their problem was joining the ACC-- that conference has 3 teams on the list, and #11 Maryland was also in the ACC for most of its history. Whatever the reason, since 2000, Virginia Tech has been the king of overrated teams."

They were a great underdog story for ESPN in the 1990s and willing to play weeknight games to help ESPN build an audience for those broadcasts.  In turn, ESPN helped greatly in promoting and inflating their brand.  One season in 1999 does not make a national power.  Our fans thought two did (2010 and 11) so I can understand some would be confused by the concept.  VT has been a consistently good, competitive program playing in weak conferences.  Not a national power.  A good story from where the program once was and a narrative that has been oversold. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Uncommon on December 12, 2017, 11:25:50 am
It's not my opinion, it's a fact. Our program has a value in the Top 20. We should be there. Petrino proved it. Just because there was incompetence here for the last two seasons doesn't mean our program is less valuable. So that means Tennessee and Texas have lower values as well then with their mediocrity the last 5 seasons too. Well that's pure BS.

So now it is a top 20 program because it has a top 20 value? Funny since so many absolutely hated Jeff Long for always emphasizing the business side of college athletics, and talked about how winning games was all that really mattered to them, but now they want to say we are a top 20 program because we have a top 20 value.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 12, 2017, 11:27:38 am
Clemson seems underrated at 8th compared to Michigan, Southern Cal, Texas and Notre Dame... what have any of those schools done lately?

Texas A&M at 10? Ahead of Florida State, which won a championship not long ago and is regularly in the top 4-5? Give me a break...

History,brand and TV exposure of those programs. 

Probably inflating the worth of A&M's SEC brand is why they are just ahead of FSU.  Money and facilities perhaps as well. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 12, 2017, 11:28:13 am
Not based on the criteria for this ranking. We are strong or at least good in multiple areas. 

http://www.tiptop25.com/overrated_ap_poll_era.html

"#2 Virginia Tech is the better threat to one day supplant Brigham Young at the top. VT was actually underrated 4 times in the 1990s, when Frank Beamer first built them up, but ever since they played in the national championship game for the 1999 season, they have been overrated 7 times. Of course, maybe their problem was joining the ACC-- that conference has 3 teams on the list, and #11 Maryland was also in the ACC for most of its history. Whatever the reason, since 2000, Virginia Tech has been the king of overrated teams."

They were a great underdog story for ESPN in the 1990s and willing to play weeknight games to help ESPN build an audience for those broadcasts.  In turn, ESPN helped greatly in promoting and inflating their brand.  One season in 1999 does not make a national power.  Our fans thought two did (2010 and 11) so I can understand some would be confused by the concept.  VT has been a consistently good, competitive program playing in weak conferences.  Not a national power.  A good story from where the program once was and a narrative that has been oversold. 

VT in the 90's was the Boise of the 2000's. A team not in one of the main conferences, a cinderella story that tv could use to push weeknight or late Sat night games. Both in leagues with maybe one other good team, at most.

IronHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 12, 2017, 09:53:34 am
A&M checks off highly on 8 if not 9 of the 10 items on that list.

Facilities
Money
Recruiting
Conference
Attendance
Brand Name
Exposure
NFL Draftees

And football on par with Arkansas

Talk about less with more
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: DukeOfPork on December 12, 2017, 09:04:15 am
I can't really argue with that list.  Nebraska and UCLA are the only schools that you could even debate whether we should be ahead of them.

When does the modern era begin..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 12, 2017, 11:25:06 am
Ah the tried and true "cant dispute what he said so lets just call him names" approach.

Your little man syndrome is obvious

RME

Quote from: IronHog on December 12, 2017, 11:34:44 am

And football on par with Arkansas

Talk about less with more

While I don't disagree with you, the Chronicle writers who did this looked at all of the criteria, not just wins and losses.

IronHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 12, 2017, 11:54:39 am
While I don't disagree with you, the Chronicle writers who did this looked at all of the criteria, not just wins and losses.

Getting your teeth kicked in by LSU every Thanksgiving was obviously not a criteria

They have Texas #3.

While that is true historically currently Texas is playing zero relevant football and hasn't for some time.

Busta_Nutt

I think we're a potential Top 20 program. Top 25 at worst. Just need the right leader to get us there and stop making excuses.

FIFY

Uncommon

Quote from: hogsanity on December 12, 2017, 11:31:03 am
So now it is a top 20 program because it has a top 20 value? Funny since so many absolutely hated Jeff Long for always emphasizing the business side of college athletics, and talked about how winning games was all that really mattered to them, but now they want to say we are a top 20 program because we have a top 20 value.
How am I a "many fan"? I'm my own person. I wanted Long fired only because he had us in cuffs over Bielema's buyout and giving a more than generous contract extension for a mediocre 6-6 season when we should've won more games than that. Long was the best business AD we might ever had. But he was poor with coaching contracts.

We're absolutely a Top 20 worthy program. The media has just driven us down because we're from a small southern state to make us think we don't have the ability to produce a consistent winner. Again, does Texas's last 5 or 6 years make them less of a valuable program?

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 12, 2017, 11:31:03 am

Teams outside the top 20 can't pay 7million per for a coach

Arkansas can be as high on that list as it's boosters want it to be

mizzouman

1. Facilities.

5. Conference.

7. Brand name/prestige.

8. Exposure/TV.

9. NFL draftees.

10. Coaching (stability)

The top 10 were
1. Alabama (146)
2. Ohio State (133)
3. Texas (100)
4. Oklahoma (97)
4. Southern Cal (97)
6. Michigan (90)
6. Notre Dame (90)
8. Clemson (78)
9. LSU (68)
10. Texas A&M (59)
11. Florida State (54)
12. Florida (39)
13. Georgia (37)
14. Auburn (31)
15. Miami (26)
16. Oregon (25)
17. Penn State (18)
18. Wisconsin (6)
19. Nebraska (5)
20. UCLA (4)

The criteria is crap.  What matters is wins, losses and championships.  Everything else is junk.

Wmhog

How can you take a poll seriously that says Texas is the 3rd Best Program in the country.  What have they done lately.