Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Questions about last night's game

Started by swinesation, December 06, 2017, 08:43:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

swinesation

I didn't get to see the game last night. Looking at the stats, I see that Gafford and C.J. were the difference makers. Also good to see the low turnovers and high assists. I have a few questions:

- It appears that teams are focusing on Macon and he's having a hard time adjusting. He's 1 for 8 from 3 pt line the last two games. Reason for concern?

- We got out-rebounded 38-31 by Colorado State. Reason for concern?

- Thomas starting? Adrio only 9 minutes? Cook back in the lineup with 15 minutes? What's up with the 4 spot? Is Adrio really going to be third string there?

- Trey and Gafford had equal minutes (16). Trey had 2 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists. Daniel had 14 points, 6 rebounds. When is Gafford going to be given a more prominent role on the team? It wasn't because of fouls last night - he only had 2.

Thanks for your comments!

Danny J

Yes...Macon is the main focus right now and just rewatch the Houston game as #5 was in his face all night.

2 things need to happen...start Jones over Beard and Gafford over Trey and the latter is a no brainer. As soon as he entered the game it was game over...

Hall needs more minutes as well

HawgHeadCheese

I personally think Thomas deserves to start over Bailey. The last 2 games he has been knocking down that mid range jumper and attacks the boards. Cook shouldn't really be getting any minutes. I honestly think Gabe is better then him.

cardsNhogs

Bailey should get most minutes at the 4 spot. We are better when he is on the floor. Let Cook take minutes from Thomas if he is going to take minutes. CJ Jones should be cutting into more and more of Beard's Minutes

labb

It is pre season. Coach is trying to work out what options he has and get players ready for the real season. That is why you will see Cook getting more minutes right now and different combinations on the floor. Always been this way ever sense I can remember.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: cardsNhogs on December 06, 2017, 09:02:01 am
Bailey should get most minutes at the 4 spot. We are better when he is on the floor. Let Cook take minutes from Thomas if he is going to take minutes. CJ Jones should be cutting into more and more of Beard's Minutes

We looked great after we got over the initial cold spell on offense and Bailey only ended up with 10-12 minutes in the game. Looks like he had better get after it in practice because that is where playing time is earned not on message boards.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogginbama

I think Macon is suffering a bit from the ankle injury. While it is healed enough to play, if there is any tenderness/weakness at all, it will impact his ability to get the shot off, lose defenders, etc.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

NWAHog479

Macon did not dominate by scoring last night that is for sure, but he did have 7 assists to go along with 9 points. Barford is the one that worries me, sometimes it seems like he is in another world and the effort level is just not there. Funny thing about that is he ended up with 19 points. Bailey obviously didn't play well with not being in the starting lineup. 0 points and 0 rebounds in only 9 minutes. Bailey got outplayed by Thomas/Cook/Gabe in this ball game, although he played well at the front of the press trapping with Hall.

HoundHog

Quote from: NWAHog479 on December 06, 2017, 09:52:20 am
Macon did not dominate by scoring last night that is for sure, but he did have 7 assists to go along with 9 points. Barford is the one that worries me, sometimes it seems like he is in another world and the effort level is just not there. Funny thing about that is he ended up with 19 points. Bailey obviously didn't play well with not being in the starting lineup. 0 points and 0 rebounds in only 9 minutes. Bailey got outplayed by Thomas/Cook/Gabe in this ball game, although he played well at the front of the press trapping with Hall.

I noticed this as well with Barford. no energy, no effort, no attacking the first 20 minutes. Poor effort against Houston as well. He turned it around in the second half, but we can't have that from a senior with his ability. Maybe he wasn't feeling well? Hopefully he'll get it turned around.

The_Iceman

The reason you can't start Gafford because of his issues with fouling. Last night he did better.

HawgHoops

Quote from: swinesation on December 06, 2017, 08:43:05 am

- Thomas starting? Adrio only 9 minutes? Cook back in the lineup with 15 minutes? What's up with the 4 spot? Is Adrio really going to be third string there?

- Trey and Gafford had equal minutes (16). Trey had 2 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists. Daniel had 14 points, 6 rebounds. When is Gafford going to be given a more prominent role on the team? It wasn't because of fouls last night - he only had 2.

Thomas moved into the starting role because of how he has crashed the boards IMO. It hasn't shown as much in the box score, but he is going to the ball about 10x harder this year. Go back and watch the OU game and you will see that. In 3 more games played, Bailey only has 6 more total rebounds than Thomas.

I believe Cook got so many minutes last night because it was a blow out. He had been reinstated for the Houston game, but didn't even play. Due to a blowout win in progress, it was an easy way for MA to get him a good amount minutes and get back the rhythm of real game action.

As far as Gafford and Thompson go, I fully expect Gafford to earn the more prominent role/minutes as time goes on, but I wouldn't be shocked if TT continues to start.

Gafford off the bench gives that unit a scoring option. Plus how often do we see young bigs get in foul trouble really early in the game because teams want to attack the basket?

I think the biggest factor in all of this is that MA's has 10 guys he can play. He is figuring out the best lineups before gearing up for conference play.

This is a fun team no doubt, but I fully expect some high highs and some low lows this season!

navyhog24

Quote from: Danny J on December 06, 2017, 08:47:23 am
Yes...Macon is the main focus right now and just rewatch the Houston game as #5 was in his face all night.

2 things need to happen...start Jones over Beard and Gafford over Trey and the latter is a no brainer. As soon as he entered the game it was game over...

Hall needs more minutes as well

We desperately miss having a true floor general on the team. Also, I really do like Gabe O. He's gonna be a good one by the team he graduates.

Dominicanhog

Thomas should start.. Gafford will get more minutes as he continues to show he can handle without fouling..

CJ is the one I'm most excited about and who could start getting even more minutes.. his floor time increases the more he stays involved on the defensive end..  he'll be the difference, along with Gafford ,in our ability to reach the next level..

Kenny Dowell Loggains

I'm sure Mike will make all kinds of lineup adjustments as the season progresses.  I hope the Houston game was just one of those games that every team has in a season.

What's nice to know is that Gafford can come off the bench, Macon can have an off night by his standards, Trey & Adrio can be completely non-existent, Barford can start off cold, we can be down by 10+ early, and one of their guys can have 31 pts....

... and still win by 26

If this was any previous season, the game would've been over when we were down by 10+

ShadowHawg

Hall, Jones, and Gafford sparked the team after a slow start.

Gafford takes himself out of the game with foul trouble. Can't play a guy if he is in foul trouble. Simple as that.

Second unit brought energy into the game.