Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gafford, Jones and Hall

Started by labb, December 05, 2017, 09:20:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

labb

kick started this game. We looked pretty bad untill they came into the game. Then a complete turnaround

BannerMountainMan

Gotta em all three next year, and people think we are gonna be down
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

supersaint

I couldn't watch the game cause i was busy making bank.  Did Gafford have any great dunks?
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

niels_boar

Don't forget Bailey.  Not a lot of what he did showed up in the boxscore, but he was a big part of the smothering D in that stretch.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Cmheinley

Gafford threw a few down. CJ was the ignitor. I think we've all seen by now how crucial CJ is to this team. I would dare to say he is by far the most accurate shooter we have. I'm gonna hang out here for a few days while MMQB explodes if that's alright

niels_boar

Quote from: Cmheinley on December 05, 2017, 09:57:05 pm
Gafford threw a few down. CJ was the ignitor. I think we've all seen by now how crucial CJ is to this team. I would dare to say he is by far the most accurate shooter we have. I'm gonna hang out here for a few days while MMQB explodes if that's alright

Jones, Barford, and Macon are all elite perimeter shooters.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Cmheinley on December 05, 2017, 09:57:05 pm

So far this year:

- Macon 48.6% from 3 (18/37)
- Barford 45.5% from 3 (15/33)
- CJ Jones 37.5% from 3 (12/32)
- Beard 29.2% from 3 (7/24)

So it is hard to say CJ Jones is our most accurate shooter so far, but I will say CJ Jones has the potential to be as good or better of a shooter if he keeps progressing and gaining confidence.  We have 3 legit 3pt shooters though and I think Barford surprises me the most. He obviously worked really hard on his shot in the offseason (I would imagine when he threw his name in the mix for the draft, some of the scouts came back and told him he needed to work on that, and clearly he did!

On the flip side, Beard should probably not be shooting any more 3s this season, and I would say his 24 3pt attempts have been the most wide open of all our players' 3pt attempts because teams are seriously just letting him have it and not closing on him.  I think Beard does so many other great things with his hustle plays and should have a great year for us even if he does not shoot 3s.
SCREW Vandy!

bigred223

Yeah they need to be playing more. Play the talent.

Razorod

Anderson needs to play the talent, to be sure, but he also needs to develop a solid 9-10 player rotation so they play the pace he wants with the energy he needs and not run out of steam toward the end of the season.

Moving forward the key piece, imo, is the continuing development of Hall. Even if it's just 10-12 minutes per game, they need to be solid 10-12 minutes.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

SPAL

Quote from: supersaint on December 05, 2017, 09:35:07 pm
I couldn't watch the game cause i was busy making bank.  Did Gafford have any great dunks?

He had several. A couple stand out....one, he was at the top of the key on defense and knocked the ball out of the guys hand and took it by himself for an overhead slam.

Another time....Macon was running a break and underhand lobbed one up to the big fella for an oop flush.

He had others that weren't quite as dramatic.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: bigred223 on December 06, 2017, 05:39:40 am
Yeah they need to be playing more. Play the talent.

Those are the 2nd wave energy guy's....they will be counted upon next season to educate 6 Freshmen who will most likely take their roles coming off the bench.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

bigred223

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 06, 2017, 02:27:33 pm
Those are the 2nd wave energy guy's....they will be counted upon next season to educate 6 Freshmen who will most likely take their roles coming off the bench.

Gafford and Jones are more than just energy guys. I can see Hall as an energy guy, but he should still get 15 minutes a night at the least. He is too physically gifted to ride the pine.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Razorod on December 06, 2017, 06:09:33 am
Anderson needs to play the talent, to be sure, but he also needs to develop a solid 9-10 player rotation so they play the pace he wants with the energy he needs and not run out of steam toward the end of the season.

Moving forward the key piece, imo, is the continuing development of Hall. Even if it's just 10-12 minutes per game, they need to be solid 10-12 minutes.

I agree with Razor esp. regarding Hall.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

FineAsSwine

Reporter to Gafford: "What do you think about CJ getting 19 in the last couple of games and averaging 14 or 15?

Gafford: *flashes big smile* "Uhmm, CJ can shoot. That's all I can say about that.

I love this kid. He seems so genuine and down to earth even though he is immensely talented and I'm really going to hate to see him go.
Hogs up! Covid down!

niels_boar

CMA also has to get rotations that balance offense and defense throughout the game.  We went on a run last year with Macon coming off the bench even though he was our best guard.  Winning the game in this system isn't just about throwing your five best players on the court at tipoff.  Minutes and who finishes matter more than who starts.

I love it when we punish opponents with our first rotation.  After the second wave pounds some winded starters and reserves, our fresher starters can mop up at the end of the half when we are frequently the fresher squad if the rotations are full.  Then CMA can adjust minutes according to the matchups and who is playing well in the second half. It's a distance race, not a sprint. 

Of course, you don't want to make a habit of getting down by double figures by the second TV timeout either.  When we are even 8 minutes in, we're really ahead on many nights.

Johnny Bobo

Gafford is going to be so awesome by the end of this season it's not even funny

Iwastherein1969

The long Grey line will never fail our country.

k.c.hawg

If they are all 3 here next year we will have a helluva nucleus with Bailey. Gabe looks like he can be a contributor and I think Harris is going to be a very good point for CMA. Hopefully Garlands health allows him to play and then all of the newcomers!! CMA has some momentum and it looks like he is going to keep it going.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hogfan98

Quote from: Razorod on December 06, 2017, 06:09:33 am

Ray Biggers agrees.