Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#12 Minnesota vs #10 Miami on ESPN2 tonight 8:15pm

Started by Hogs49ers, November 29, 2017, 07:57:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogs49ers

Will be interesting to watch Minnesota tonight and see how they play against a tough opponent since we play them in about 10 days.

On a side note, Alabama losing 37-38 to LaTech at halftime, I know they have some good young talent, but I think they are being overhyped a bit because of it.  I think our senior guards will make them look like rookies when we play them.
SCREW Vandy!

Hogs49ers

Houston barely beating New Orleans (1-4) at home 44-41, I think they are extremely overrated right now.

UConn had to go to OT to beat a 1-5 team tonight so they might not be as good as we thought they were unfortunately.  (Oregon must be absolutely terrible - PAC10 sucks) and Bucknell lost by 13 to St Josephs...
SCREW Vandy!

BannerMountainMan

La Tech beating overrated Alabama by 9 in 2nd half right now
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 29, 2017, 08:35:06 pm
La Tech beating overrated Alabama by 9 in 2nd half right now
and Alabama wins by 3, Sexton had a rough game.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 29, 2017, 09:15:13 pm
and Alabama wins by 3, Sexton had a rough game.
stratch that, he had 22 points but went 6-19 from the floor

Hogs49ers

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 29, 2017, 09:18:30 pm
stratch that, he had 22 points but went 6-19 from the floor

Yah they are definitely not a top 25 team and I was happy to see them struggle tonight, but glad they got the close win for SOS purposes only.  This Minnesota team looks great, going to be a really good test at home.

BTW - I was really taking a hard look at our SEC schedule today and as it is shaping up so far, looks like we are going to have one of the easiest schedules in the SEC.  LSU, Mizzou, Auburn, and Ole Piss appear to be some of the weakest teams in the SEC (scary, bc they are all capable of winning), but we luckily got all of them twice.  Then only got some of the tougher teams like Fla, UK, Bama, Tenn only scheduled once.  A&M really only tough team we got twice.
SCREW Vandy!

Breems

Minnesota lost at home tonight to #10 Miami.

I watched most of the 2nd half. They have a lot of talent but were fairly undisciplined. They attack the hoop well on offense, and their bigs are pretty darn good. We'll struggle to contain their bigs without fouling. On defense, they were a little undisciplined which led to a lot of easy buckets for Miami. Let's hope Bud Walton can shake 'em up.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: Breems on November 29, 2017, 10:25:56 pm
Minnesota lost at home tonight to #10 Miami.

I watched most of the 2nd half. They have a lot of talent but were fairly undisciplined. They attack the hoop well on offense, and their bigs are pretty darn good. We'll struggle to contain their bigs without fouling. On defense, they were a little undisciplined which led to a lot of easy buckets for Miami. Let's hope Bud Walton can shake 'em up.

Thanks for the recap. They will give us trouble, but we have a chance.

Re-reading this thread, I think there is a lot of good wisdom in it. Some posters (like FCJ) have already crowned this team to the Final Four cause we beat UCONN by 30 when they had clearly given up 5 mins into the 2nd half.

Some of these teams we have beaten aren't that good, and UNC isn't as good as advertised either.

We have good teams coming up such as Minny. And we will see who we really are once we get into SEC play. SEC basketball is salty this year

Hawg Red

My takeaway from this thread: no one is really that good.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 30, 2017, 05:31:10 am

Virginia is looking pretty good right now. Duke is up and down but they keep winning. They remind me of how the Hogs dug a deep hole for themselves in the first half of many games last year and then got back in the game late in the first half or early in the second. Probably won't be long before Duke takes a tumble.

Breems

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 30, 2017, 05:31:10 am

Minnesota is. They'll be very tough to beat.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hawg Red

SouthTulsaHog

I watched the majority of the second half. On D, Minnesota couldn't contain Miami's guards. I think our guards should be able to take advantage of them off the dribble (especially Barford). Inside will be tough. Murphy and Lynch are big. It will be a tough test for Gafford. I think we could go small and take their bigs away from the basket.

Should be a really good test and I think a high scoring game.

Also, their freshman point guard (Washington) looked a little out of control at times. Could be prone to some turnovers and quick shots.

WPS

Hogs49ers

Quote from: SouthTulsaHog on November 30, 2017, 11:27:07 am
I watched the majority of the second half. On D, Minnesota couldn't contain Miami's guards. I think our guards should be able to take advantage of them off the dribble (especially Barford). Inside will be tough. Murphy and Lynch are big. It will be a tough test for Gafford. I think we could go small and take their bigs away from the basket.

Should be a really good test and I think a high scoring game.

Also, their freshman point guard (Washington) looked a little out of control at times. Could be prone to some turnovers and quick shots.

WPS

Yes, I really like this matchup actually!  I think this will be the perfect top 20 opponent for us to get a nice resume win at home against, same with OSU.  We played both those teams on the road last year, and now get both at home and feel like we are much improved and they both stayed about the same.  These 2 games will be crucial in deciding our seeding this year, had we won those 2 games last year, we would had likely been a 5 seed.  I see it as highly unlikely that we go 0-2 in those 2 games this year and feel that we probably have slightly better odds of going 2-0 over going 1-1 this year.
SCREW Vandy!

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Hogs49ers on November 29, 2017, 08:33:24 pm
Houston barely beating New Orleans (1-4) at home 44-41, I think they are extremely overrated right now.

UConn had to go to OT to beat a 1-5 team tonight so they might not be as good as we thought they were unfortunately.  (Oregon must be absolutely terrible - PAC10 sucks) and Bucknell lost by 13 to St Josephs...

While a lot of the teams under-performed, most still had the expected outcome. Our opponents were slated to go 8-5 on the night, and we got 9-4. #SOSbump

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

blu

Quote from: Hogs49ers on November 29, 2017, 09:25:07 pm
Yah they are definitely not a top 25 team and I was happy to see them struggle tonight, but glad they got the close win for SOS purposes only.  This Minnesota team looks great, going to be a really good test at home.

BTW - I was really taking a hard look at our SEC schedule today and as it is shaping up so far, looks like we are going to have one of the easiest schedules in the SEC.  LSU, Mizzou, Auburn, and Ole Piss appear to be some of the weakest teams in the SEC (scary, bc they are all capable of winning), but we luckily got all of them twice.  Then only got some of the tougher teams like Fla, UK, Bama, Tenn only scheduled once.  A&M really only tough team we got twice.

Mizzou is going to be a tough out. Even without Porter Jr., they will be MUCH improved. They are in dire need of a PG though. WV turned it around against them once they started pressing.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16