Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Early Impact from C.J. Jones

Started by labb, November 26, 2017, 05:43:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

labb

Several posters stated that Jones would score over  20 at some point this season. Here we are 6 games into the schedule and he puts up 19. I just became a believer...Go getum C.J. WPS

Dr. Starcs

rzrbackramsfan

I think once you see him get more comfortable on the court watch out.  He needs to improve his handle too.

HawgnCorona

If Khalil or Jalen where on the floor with this CJ it would be lights out...Develop his handles along with his all around game the NBA would take a serious look at him. He looks the part...He just needs a bit more experience. A lot to like with him
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Kevin McPherson

November 26, 2017, 06:13:17 pm #4 Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:26:12 pm by Kevin McPherson
The best thing that happened for Arkansas at PK80 -- other than going 2-1 to bolster the NCAAT resume -- was Macon's injury that bought Jones 26 mins against UNC. Look, even in big wins against Bucknell & OU, the trio of Barford, Macon, and Beard -- as good as they've been collectively -- hurt ball-movement, spacing, and flow for stretches because they are all dribble-first guys who sometimes hold onto to the ball too long. Even though they've been hot early this season, there are times the motion O gets stagnant.

Jones missed some shots early on vs UNC, but because Macon was not available, Jones stayed on the floor and ended up hitting two big 3s in that 10-0 UA run late, and he finished w/12 pts on an efficient 4-of-10 from 3. Fast-forward 2 days later, and he looked oh-so comfortable scoring 19 pts.

CJ leaves Portland avg. 11.0 pts against 3 high-major opponents ... AND, his catch-&-shoot game is a GREAT change-of-pace and alternative weapon to Barford, Macon, & Beard who ALL build their points off dribble-drive ... none has PG skill, but a guy like Jones simply needs good movemment and spacing on the perimeter to get good looks, a complement to what the others bring to the table.

Moving forward, I'd love to see Jones eat into Beard's minutes ... would like to see Beard between 24-28 minutes per game w/CJ eating most of the time that Beard is out while picking up a few more minutes when Macon and/or Barford are out.

Razorod

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on November 26, 2017, 06:13:17 pm
The best thing that happened for Arkansas at PK80 -- other than going 2-1 to bolster the NCAAT resume -- was Macon's injury that bought Jones 26 mins against UNC. Look, even in big wins against Bucknell & OU, the trio of Barford, Macon, and Beard -- as good as they've been collectively -- as dribble-first guards kills ball-movement, spacing, a flow ... though they've been hot there are times the motion O gets stagnant.

Jones missed some shots early on vs UNC, but because Macon was not available, Jones stayed on the floor and ended up hitting two big 3s in that 10-0 UA run late, and he finished w/12 pts on an efficient 4-of-10 from 3. Fast-forward 2 days later, and he looked oh-so comfortable scoring 19 pts.

CJ leaves Portland avg. 10.3 pts against 3 high-major opponents ... AND, his catch-&-shoot game is a GREAT change-of-pace and alternative weapon to Barford, Macon, & Beard who ALL build their points off dribble-drive ... none has PG skill, but a guy like Jones simply needs good movemment and spacing on the perimeter to get good looks, a complement to what the others bring to the table.

Moving forward, I'd love to see Jones eat into Beard's minutes ... would like to see Beard between 24-28 minutes per game w/CJ eating most of the time that Beard is out while picking up a few more minutes when Macon and/or Barford are out.
Agree. Next stage for this team is for CJ to emerge as a legit fourth guard option. That will allow for all the guards to get much needed breathers and have their legs going into the last ten minutes of the game. Hall getting up to 8-10 real quality minutes and getting Garland where he can play would be icing on the cake. 
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

JONAS

He played well.  Who is the PG transfer from New Mexico?  Is he eligible this year or has he been playing and I don't know who he is?

cardsNhogs

He should start over Beard and play more minutes than Beard!

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 26, 2017, 05:56:02 pm
I think once you see him get more comfortable on the court watch out.  He needs to improve his handle too.

Very talented with a beautiful shot. Athletic and confident. He will play more and more. He does need to work on his ball handling but it's good enough. I hope he takes a lot of Beards minutes.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: cardsNhogs on November 26, 2017, 06:23:47 pm
Yes! Anything that takes away minutes from Beard. I don't understand how Mike lets him play through terrible decisions. He has played better this year but still kills us at the end of the shot clock..He won't give the ball up like he's a great scorer. Macon and Barford need the ball at the end of the shot clock. But if Beard gets his hand on it he will not pass.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: JONAS on November 26, 2017, 06:22:54 pm
He played well.  Who is the PG transfer from New Mexico?  Is he eligible this year or has he been playing and I don't know who he is?

Not eligible until next season.

rude1

CJ is a valuable asset to this team,we are guard poor off the bench and it's going to be important that he continues to grow in his role. We know he can score, but has to get more involved in other aspects of the game, played 21 minutes got 1 rebound, that will get his minutes cut rather than increased.

bigred223

Quote from: Razorod on November 26, 2017, 06:17:26 pm
Agree. Next stage for this team is for CJ to emerge as a legit fourth guard option. That will allow for all the guards to get much needed breathers and have their legs going into the last ten minutes of the game. Hall getting up to 8-10 real quality minutes and getting Garland where he can play would be icing on the cake.

Hall needs 15 minutes at least in my opinion. Tons of untapped potential there.

JONAS

The_Iceman

Wrong. He needs to come off the bench to provide a scoring punch in the second unit.

Razorod

Quote from: bigred223 on November 26, 2017, 06:31:10 pm
i have no problem with that.

The_Iceman

If he played that much, you would also expose all of his shortcomings at this point.

Less can be more sometimes.

labb

Several want to see Beard's minutes cut. Ya'll do realize that he is getting more minutes per game than anyone else. Must be something that the coach sees that some fans don't.

incHOGnito

Quote from: labb on November 26, 2017, 06:36:49 pm
Several want to see Beard's minutes cut. Ya'll do realize that he is getting more minutes per game than anyone else. Must be something that the coach sees that some fans don't.

Beard has played great this year! I am very happy with his progression, especially his free throw shooting.

rzrbackramsfan

I really don't have any problem with the current rotation.  Beard is playing great.

SPAL

No

AlmaHog2011

Agree would be interested in how Kevin sees his potential? But he looks unafraid and willing to battle and he's a strong looking kid. With all kinds of ability.

AlmaHog2011

I hope Beard plays great! I really do! I just don't see how he gets to play through bad decisions and bad shots? He's just not got enough talent to play in the big games. He didn't play well today and he sure didn't play well against NC.

I guess because he is kind of a PG is the reason Mike plays him. We will just have to disagree but I hope you guys are right and he has a great year.

Breems

CJ seems like a more athletic Anthlon Bell to me. Quick trigger and streaky, but doesn't stand out on defense (yet).
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Breems on November 26, 2017, 07:54:12 pm
CJ seems like a more athletic Anthlon Bell to me. Quick trigger and streaky, but doesn't stand out on defense (yet).

With his long arms and ability he can be a good defender. Good comparison to Bell. His shot looks great he should be consistent if he shoots good shots.

Razorod

We really need Jones and Hall to continue to develop. That and getting Cook back will really help this team get even better.

The_Bionic_Pig

Um no....this is year 2 and he still (unlike Beard, Barford or Macon) can't take his man off the dribble. "Day Day" has better handles than he does at this point.

I fully expect a healthy 6'6 Khalil Garland to be the main benefactor of minute's this December if you're looking for 4th guard to bring the ball up the count.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on November 26, 2017, 07:42:09 pm
I hope Beard plays great! I really do! I just don't see how he gets to play through bad decisions and bad shots? He's just not got enough talent to play in the big games. He didn't play well today and he sure didn't play well against NC.

I guess because he is kind of a PG is the reason Mike plays him. We will just have to disagree but I hope you guys are right and he has a great year.

Their are only 3 available primary ball handler's.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

lynbug

TOUCHE OLE!!!

mhuff

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on November 26, 2017, 06:13:17 pm
The best thing that happened for Arkansas at PK80 -- other than going 2-1 to bolster the NCAAT resume -- was Macon's injury that bought Jones 26 mins against UNC. Look, even in big wins against Bucknell & OU, the trio of Barford, Macon, and Beard -- as good as they've been collectively -- hurt ball-movement, spacing, and flow for stretches because they are all dribble-first guys who sometimes hold onto to the ball too long. QEven though they've been hot early this season, there are times the motion O gets stagnant.

CJ leaves Portland avg. 11.0 pts against 3 high-major opponents ... AND, his catch-&-shoot game is a GREAT change-of-pace and alternative weapon to Barford, Macon, & Beard who ALL build their points off dribble-drive ... none has PG skill, but a guy like Jones simply needs good movemment and spacing on the perimeter to get good looks, a complement to what the others bring to the table.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: rude1 on November 26, 2017, 06:29:54 pm
CJ is a valuable asset to this team,we are guard poor off the bench and it's going to be important that he continues to grow in his role. We know he can score, but has to get more involved in other aspects of the game, played 21 minutes got 1 rebound, that will get his minutes cut rather than increased.
Way too athletic to only have 1 rebound in 21 minutes. Kids got some serious bounce off one foot or two feet.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

He's not flashy but he's a decent floor general. He calms everything down when they start getting out of whack. Notice how he's passed up quite a few shots that he wouldn't have in the past. He's become a much smarter basketball player from the looks of it. ?Trying not to force it as much and let it come to em. And he's not gambling as much on defense as he used to.

And one more thing, BTW the ball ends up in his hands with the shot clock winding down because, well, he is the point guard people. Just saying...

Youngsta71701

All of you guys that are calling for C.J. to get more minutes than Beard really don't know much about basketball. Sometimes it's the things that you don't see that keep you on the floor. Beard's game is not all about stats. He controls the game while C.J. has to rely on other people to get his shot. And the people that have read my post know how much I love C.J.'s potential.

Once he gets his handles down, defense down, and starts making some more hustle plays then he'll reach his full potential. Until then he'll just be a fast break dunker and a spot up catch and shoot player (And he can shoot it). With his athleticism he should have a lot more rebounds, deflections, and steals. Those things will come with time.

Right now C.J. is a taller more athletic Microwave player off the bench. His one role right now is to score. Potential 6th man of the year candidate no doubt.

Hawg Red

C.J. is going to be scary when he puts it all together. Rangy athlete that can stop on a dime, raise up, and pop a jumper. It's good to see him showing what we thought he might capable of based on his non-con minutes last year. Good to know we'll have a guard coming back next year who can shoulder some of the load.

niels_boar

Agree with Kevin.  Jones learning that he can score against quality competition was a significant development.  The guys on the second unit all have flaws, who doesn't really, but they all also excel in some area that they improve when they hit the floor.  We need Jones and Gafford to anchor the second unit so that scoring does not significantly drop off after the first rotation.  Hall complements them nicely.  He's a terrific defensive player with potential at the other end.  Thomas and Adrio are proving to be a nice thunder and lightning duo at the four.  If Garland could get eligible to give us another legit ballhandler and slasher, the reserves could be quite formidable at both ends by the end of the season, good enough to get the senior guards under 30 minutes.  If that happens, we could have our best five, whomever they might be on a given day, fresh for the final 8 minutes.  This team could then come in waves and play with most teams on most nights.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

rude1

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on November 26, 2017, 08:07:28 pm
Their are only 3 available primary ball handler's.
I think Day Day is good enough to be that 4th ball handler, really has nice handles for a kid his size. Now the decision making with it is a work in progress, but I really like this kids upside, always thought he would be the sleeper of his class.

razorhog52

CJ and Hall looked good today. Hall is an impressive looking athlete and the type of 4 year player you love.

hawgball40

Quote from: razorhog52 on November 26, 2017, 10:20:38 pm
CJ and Hall looked good today. Hall is an impressive looking athlete and the type of 4 year player you love.
with his athleticism, if he develops a shot and decent handles he's gone. i mean he's just too big and too athletic to play 4 years if he puts it all together.

Rawker

Elaine:  Perhaps there's more to Newman than meets the eye.

Jerry: No.  There's Less.

Rawker

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on November 26, 2017, 07:42:09 pm

THANK you.  A human with eyeballs.

Rawker

Quote from: Rawker on November 26, 2017, 10:56:40 pm
THANK you.  A human with eyeballs.

Actually, I apologize for saying this....I said how I feel, but it has no place.  I want Beard to prove me wrong on every insane spin move into three 6-10 guys.  Hit those shots Beard, and let's just win!!!

NWAHog479

What I loved was also seeing CJ run the break and finish HIGH above the rim. If he can get a pull-up jumper or a shot going to the rim each game it is only going to open up the 3 ball for him even more.

WizardofhOgZ

I actually had this discussion with my small watching group Sunday during the game.  We all agree that Beard appears to be in the best shape and playing the best ball of his career.  Good handle, does OK handling the point, and is an aggressive on-ball defender.  FT's have improved as well.  Only area that still seems lacking is outside shot.  Have not looked, but my eyeball estimate is that he's shooting 25% or so on 3's.  In other words - he only needs to be taking those as a last option.

Hawg Red

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on November 27, 2017, 12:24:16 pm
I actually had this discussion with my small watching group Sunday during the game.  We all agree that Beard appears to be in the best shape and playing the best ball of his career.  Good handle, does OK handling the point, and is an aggressive on-ball defender.  FT's have improved as well.  Only area that still seems lacking is outside shot.  Have not looked, but my eyeball estimate is that he's shooting 25% or so on 3's.  In other words - he only needs to be taking those as a last option.

26.3% from 3. He shot 35% as a freshman and close to 36% last year. We'll set aside his sophomore season given the circumstance for now. I'm okay with him shooting out of it because he does seem to hit 3s at big moments. I think he'll come around closer to that 35% this year. If he makes his next two 3-point attempts, he's at 36.8%. He'll be okay.

Hogs49ers

We just need CJ to keep progressing this year, really only need him to be an 8-10 pts per game type of player this year.  We will really need CJ to step up big time in 2018, when we lose Beard, Barford, and Macon which is about 50 pts per game between the 3 senior guards.  It is going to be tough to replace that kind of scoring and efficiency.  Will definitely need CJ to average over 15 pt/game and will really have to get about 35 pts per game between Adrio Bailey and Gafford.

Will be really interesting to see how the scoring breaks down next year.  I know it is a long ways off, but how do y'all see the scoring breaking down next year?
SCREW Vandy!

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on November 26, 2017, 07:39:14 pm
Agree would be interested in how Kevin sees his potential? But he looks unafraid and willing to battle and he's a strong looking kid. With all kinds of ability.

Darious (sp?) Hall just looks like a dude that can fight!

He may develop into really good blue collar type guy like Alandise Harris was for us his second year.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

niels_boar

Beard's assist rate and TO rate are a little better than both Macon's and Barford's.  He's not shooting as well as he can.  Not every shot he misses is a bad shot.  He took a few bad looks early in the shot clock at the PK80, but so did everybody else.  Overall his decision making has been fine, not perfect.  The belief that he's out of control on the court is just confirmation bias.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 27, 2017, 12:29:52 pm
26.3% from 3. He shot 35% as a freshman and close to 36% last year. We'll set aside his sophomore season given the circumstance for now. I'm okay with him shooting out of it because he does seem to hit 3s at big moments. I think he'll come around closer to that 35% this year. If he makes his next two 3-point attempts, he's at 36.8%. He'll be okay.

We'll see if he ends up hitting 35% - or not - this season.

But even if he does, on a team that has 3 legit options that figure to hit over 40% this year - and we do - his 3 point shots need to be relatively few and far between.  Kind of like Manny (who actually hit a nice % last season), or Corey Beck.  Play to his strengths, and let others play to theirs; shoot just enough to keep the defense honest.

Hawg Red

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on November 27, 2017, 02:20:20 pm

But even if he does, on a team that has 3 legit options that figure to hit over 40% this year - and we do - his 3 point shots need to be relatively few and far between.  Kind of like Manny (who actually hit a nice % last season), or Corey Beck.  Play to his strengths, and let others play to theirs; shoot just enough to keep the defense honest.

If Beard is open from 3, I'm fine with him taking the shot. We all should be. Like I said, he's traditionally been a better shooter from 3 than his current stats show and the sample is currently small enough that a 2/3 night from 3 has him right back at 35%. The worst shots he's taken this season have been the ones where he spun into the paint or just inside the arc and got his shot blocked. Those are the bad shots. Might be wrong but it doesn't seem like he's forcing contested 3s this season. That tells me this will self-correct. The only non-perimeter scoring options is Gafford, who is in and out of the lineup due to foul trouble, so there is plenty of ball to go around for Barford, Macon, Jones and Beard to keep their shot attempts.

niels_boar

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on November 27, 2017, 02:20:20 pm

How many contested treys have you seen Beard take this season?  Most of his poor decisions have been on drives. If three starters are on the court that the defense doesn't even have to worry about ever taking a shot, how many looks do you think that the other two guys on the court will get? Beard is 5 of 19 from the arc.  Just two more makes and he's shooting 37% for the season.  CJ was 2 of 10 before the PK80, and he shouldn't have stopped taking open looks either.   Also, Beard would probably being shooting a better average with fewer minutes, but we need him on the court for ballhandling.