Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bill Walton Thread(Uconn game)

Started by checkraiser88, November 26, 2017, 02:44:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Breems

Love Bill Walton. We listen to basketball commentary all year. Fun to hear some unfiltered nonsense for a few hours.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

colavito

Well, Walton burned me out like that sticky-icky he was smoking.  Thank goodness for Watch ESPN and the above the rim camera.

hog.goblin

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 26, 2017, 04:58:12 pm
He did for me too. I enjoyed the game and me and my friend just kept laughing at his randomness. Like talking about solar panels, hot springs, Macon GA, rubber courts, the distance of rivers, etc. I don't think he's a good play by play guy but I'd take him in a heartbeat over Dickie V.

Over Dickie V all day long

98hogs

Made me turn on Chuck Barrett for the first time ever for Basketball while Hogs on TV

hawkhawg

You ever see a boar and a Dog get in a fight?

hobhog

Split screen was annoying. And thank gawd it wasn't close as we got zero info on fouls per player, ect. With the black uniforms with red numbers I couldn't tell who scored half the time because Waltons big head was on half the screen.

Dude needs a radio show. Play by play and color was the worst I have ever heard. I muted it.

BrooklynRoss

This tournament was terribly produced. No replays of calls, announcers were talking about the public lands percentage of Portland, etc. It blows my mind that they did this considering the teams invited.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Cmheinley

He reminds me of Gary Busey. Crazy as Hell and proud of it. Meanwhile, everyone else is confused as hell that he is roaming the streets and not institutionalized.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on November 26, 2017, 03:22:11 pm
I've laughed out loud 3 times at him already. Can't help it.
Enjoyed the hell out of him.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Pigasaurus

"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

rtr

I rather like Bill Walton, he is a great historian of the game.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

I don't think he had any interest in the game at all. Kind of ruined watching a great win.

hogsanity

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 26, 2017, 03:16:42 pm
This is my one Walton post and I am done.  He is horrible as a basketball color guy.  He doesn't have to be because he is incredibly knowledgeable and intelligent.  Unfortunately he doesn't understand that his purpose is to COMMENT ABOUT THE DAMN GAME! 
End of rant.

Horrible color guy but entertaining to listen to especially in a blowout game with like 500 people in the stands.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rude1

By the games end I am not sure Walton even knew who won. Never watched the game, never really said anything pertaining to what was happening on the court. Obviously a very cerebral and interesting personality, but people watch the games to hear what's going on with the game they are watching.

hogsanity

Quote from: rude1 on November 26, 2017, 07:42:49 pm
By the games end I am not sure Walton even knew who won. Never watched the game, never really said anything pertaining to what was happening on the court. Obviously a very cerebral and interesting personality, but people watch the games to hear what's going on with the game they are watching.

He commented about how far ahead the hogs were several times. My son said they should just give bw an hour long show called Walton's Ramblings and just give him a mic and let him go.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hview

He seem captivated by Garland, during warm-ups. Said he looked like Scotty Pippen, wondered why he wasn't playing.

HogMantheIntruder

Just think if this guy was in your living room saying the exact same things. How long until someone's like "dude, were trying to watch the game."
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

hog.goblin

Apparently we should be happy he shows up dressed.  Oh, and he likes to swim...

GlassofSwine

His rambling would work better during a 4 hour baseball game, it doesn't make sense in a fast paced game like Basketball with a lot of action to have him going on random rants every minute.

panhandlepig

Quote from: Poppa Tart on November 26, 2017, 08:05:13 pm
Just think if this guy was in your living room saying the exact same things. How long until someone's like "dude, were trying to watch the game."

That pretty much sums it up. Any other time I'd be asking random questions to hear his response.

hoglady

He's like a kid with ADHD or something.
I watched the NC / Mich St. game - he was engaged in the game for a while and doing a good job.
THEN - he got bored.
And off he went.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

JenksHawg

hogsanity

Quote from: tncbg on November 26, 2017, 09:39:59 pm
He could care less that there is a game in progress being watched by people who care. His stream of consciousness rambling has zero connection to the game and is of no value to the audience.

He is entertaining. He does not do many of the "big" games ( I doubt he gets NC/Duke for example ).

phadedhawg

My wife is a football fan but this year she's making an effort to learn basketball.  She said to me yesterday "yeah, I don't think I can do this if all announcers are like  Walton".  I had to assure her this wasn't the norm. 

I found him much more frustrating in the Oklahoma game because it was a tight game throughout.  Yesterday we were stomping poor UConn so bad that I didn't mind as much. 

I do think the split screen is kind of arrogant on ESPN's part.  Why would viewers want to look at the announcers during live game play?  Seems like they think they are much cuter than they are.

311Hog

throw it down big man it has to be the shoes.....

phadedhawg

Kevin

it was like he had no interest in the game
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hog golf

Bill Walton had little or no interest in the game when he was playing the game. dude has led a charmed life and is winning the game. I found him refreshing. wouldn't want him doing hog play by play all year, but I enjoyed his rambling. dude is intelligent, well-traveled and is never at a loss for words, a good story or anecdote.

do not worry. the rest of the year you will hear the same old basketball talking heads. maybe I'm in the minority but I watch a lot of games with music on just to keep from hearing the commentary- especially guys like Dickie V.
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin on November 27, 2017, 12:44:49 pm
it was like he had no interest in the game

HE was very interested in Gafford. Said his biggest weakness right now is his footwork. Walton is a big man, and was always very precise in things like footwork, positioning, etc.

Once the game got out of hand, which was pretty fast yesterday, he did what he does, went on a mental walkabout.

joeyself

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on November 26, 2017, 04:21:50 pm
Bill Walton is like Donald Trump...

You just can't believe he has the job he has. 

But unlike Trump, there must be some attractive alternatives.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

joeyself

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 26, 2017, 04:58:12 pm
I don't think he's a good play by play guy but I'd take him in a heartbeat over Dickie V.

That's not setting the bar too high there.

I didn't see the NC game, and only the last 5 minutes of the Oklahoma game, but I got enough Walton for the year in the UConn game.   Hope he isn't assigned to anything I'm wanting to watch for the rest of the season.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

MB Hog

Quote from: hog golf on November 27, 2017, 01:02:12 pm
Bill Walton had little or no interest in the game when he was playing the game. dude has led a charmed life and is winning the game. I found him refreshing. wouldn't want him doing hog play by play all year, but I enjoyed his rambling. dude is intelligent, well-traveled and is never at a loss for words, a good story or anecdote.

do not worry. the rest of the year you will hear the same old basketball talking heads. maybe I'm in the minority but I watch a lot of games with music on just to keep from hearing the commentary- especially guys like Dickie V.
I would enjoy listening to some of his knowledge about odd topics if that were my purpose for listening.  But when I'm watching a Razorback basketball game, I want to focus on the game... and the guys who are calling the game; being paid to watch the game and talk about the game should be doing just that.  An occasional tidbit can be interesting, but a game-long commentary about non-game subjects is ridiculous; certainly not refreshing.

Glad you enjoyed it, but was very irritating to me and apparently to most of the others commenting here.

BTW - I just noticed your screen name "hog golf."  Maybe your enjoyment is just coming from a different perspective of favorite sports.  I can certainly see how someone who watches a lot of golf would appreciate the more entertaining sidebars.  :)

hogsanity

Quote from: hog golf on November 27, 2017, 01:02:12 pm

I will take Walton all day every day over " Ohh baby, look at the Dukies, look at the diaper dandies " Its NC baby, the greatest program in all of history " Oh baby Calipari has another great group of ptpers baby "

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

I like Bill a great deal. He is both informative and humorous. I don't need a color man to know whats going on on the court.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 27, 2017, 01:39:50 pm
I will take Walton all day every day over " Ohh baby, look at the Dukies, look at the diaper dandies " Its NC baby, the greatest program in all of history " Oh baby Calipari has another great group of ptpers baby "

this is true, maybe replace the guy next to Walton with the girls name. They argued/teased about Cal Berkley and UCLA for more time than they actually commented on the game.

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on November 27, 2017, 01:41:17 pm
this is true, maybe replace the guy next to Walton with the girls name. They argued/teased about Cal Berkley and UCLA for more time than they actually commented on the game.

I could not blame them yesterday, that game was lousy from the jump. Nice to be on the front end of a complete beat down, but the game was not compelling at all.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 27, 2017, 01:45:38 pm
I could not blame them yesterday, that game was lousy from the jump. Nice to be on the front end of a complete beat down, but the game was not compelling at all.

well i like watching the hogs crush other teams so it was compelling to me =), but i think what made all of this worse was the side by sides i do not want to look at these people doing commentary for the game....ever....

especially not while the game is actively going on.

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on November 27, 2017, 01:47:43 pm
well i like watching the hogs crush other teams so it was compelling to me =), but i think what made all of this worse was the side by sides i do not want to look at these people doing commentary for the game....ever....

especially not while the game is actively going on.

yea that was kind of weird. I really cant imagine, that very many people were watching at all. NFL was on, holiday weekend, 2:45pm game in a gym that had maybe 500 people in it.

No, would not want to hear him every Hog game, but for what it was it did not bother me.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 27, 2017, 01:55:11 pm
yea that was kind of weird. I really cant imagine, that very many people were watching at all. NFL was on, holiday weekend, 2:45pm game in a gym that had maybe 500 people in it.

No, would not want to hear him every Hog game, but for what it was it did not bother me.

the effect was also cumulative.  first game it was mildly irritating, second game it was pretty bad, by the last game i hated his voice and had it on mute most of the time.

MB Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 27, 2017, 01:45:38 pm
Even so, we had some young guys making nice plays all the way to the end.  Darius Hall had a couple of inside baskets that were really nice.  I would have liked an observation from the commentators on those plays... instead, there wasn't even an acknowledgement that we scored.  They were probably talking about a park, a river, or "Shoe Dog."

10thPlanet

Sed76

He was terrible when he called NBA games and seems to have gotten worse if that's possible. That garbage that was passed off as commentary yesterday was embarrassing. No one gives a rat's furry behind what kind of rice Bill Walton likes or any of that other nonsense that came out of his mouth.

hogsanity

Quote from: Sed76 on November 27, 2017, 02:37:16 pm
He was terrible when he called NBA games and seems to have gotten worse if that's possible. That garbage that was passed off as commentary yesterday was embarrassing. No one gives a rat's furry behind what kind of rice Bill Walton likes or any of that other nonsense that came out of his mouth.

well there is always the option of turning the sound on the tv off and the radio on. Why do you need commentary on garbage baskets in a 45 pt blowout? And he did comment when the walkon/bench warmer scored the last basket.

gmarv

Quote from: hogsanity on November 27, 2017, 03:07:29 pm
well there is always the option of turning the sound on the tv off and the radio on. Why do you need commentary on garbage baskets in a 45 pt blowout? And he did comment when the walkon/bench warmer scored the last basket.
Thats the option i used with out the radio thou.

hogsanity

Quote from: gmarv on November 27, 2017, 03:11:50 pm

again, I would not want to listen to Walton every game, but I had no problems with his rambling for a holiday tourney in Portland. I thought he was very engaged the entire OU game on Thursday.

gmarv

Quote from: gmarv on November 27, 2017, 03:11:50 pm
By the way the split screen s##ked also.

Sed76

Quote from: hogsanity on November 27, 2017, 03:07:29 pm

Sure, that's an option but one shouldn't have to do that. I get the game wasn't exciting but the guy was horrible in every game he commented on not just the Arkansas ones. I had to get up and walk out of the room at one point when Walton couldn't figure out 1977 was 40 years ago.

Ex-Trumpet

How many on here love Mike Leach but hate Bill Walton?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?