Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sounds like we are setting up win the Trifecta!!

Started by 007 License To Squeal, November 13, 2017, 05:52:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jgcat4

Why does it seem like Gus is now the Gruden of Arkansas? I swear some of the people here used to be Tenner fans. Gus has zero reasons to come here and way more to stay there. He's in the hunt for a NC!!!! He's not leaving that.

I'll admit I'm as anti-Gus as they get, but I'm also a realist. This is a step down from Auburn. If he wants a place to draw a check and retire, then yes, I see that. I don't think that's him. I think he circles the Arkansas game on his calendar every year and wants to inflict as much punishment on this school as he can. He could beat us by 6,000 and still not like it.

Quit being the guy who dumped the ugly chick in junior high and now she's hot in college and you regret it. Jacobs is out and that was his biggest problem. If I'm wrong, I'll take my crow with ketchup after the announcement, but I'm afraid there are going to be a whole lot of disappointed Hogvillians when this is over, and the Gus bus never leaves the plains. Just my honest...bash away
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

RockyMtnHog

I can see Ken Hatfield or Jimmy Johnson being offered the AD position.  Both know how to hire coaches.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

ipigsooie

It's sad that all these people are being played by a few people that are "in the know." Gus is not coming. Jeff long or not. He just isn't. It's crazy that the national media, the auburn media and most of the nwa media know he isnt leaving auburn, but there are a few in nwa that know people on the inside that know his will take the job if he is offered it. It's funny how people in the inside at auburn aren't saying anything. They are just going to let him walk away for free? If sexton gets his way it'll become a bidding war. This is ridiculous on so many levels and so many people on here are going to be disappointed. GUS IS NOT COMING.

hog.goblin

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 13, 2017, 05:56:56 pm
Whatever your opinion on Jeff Long, firing him and Bielema both at this time of the year is not optimal.  It's going to set us back significantly. If you want Bielema gone and a decent replacement then firing Jeff long right now is not the recipe. 

I think it will set us forward.

Silent

Simple Swineman

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 13, 2017, 07:26:26 pm
Gus

2014    Auburn    8–5    4–4
2015    Auburn    7–6    2–6
2016    Auburn    8–5    5–3
2017    Auburn    8–2    6–1

With Auburn talent. How well will he do at Arkansas?
Oh and he lost 3/4 bowl games.

Just out of curiosity. How does that stack up against the rest of the league over that time period?

netteltonhog

I will be SHOCKED if Gus Malzhan is the next head coach at Arkansas....

Hawginj

rhames

Quote from: Silent on November 13, 2017, 07:37:33 pm
Correct.

So how could he have said he wouldn't work for Long when Long wasn't even here yet?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

1highhog

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 13, 2017, 05:52:08 pm
Can we really win the Trifecta?
1.  Bret fired!
2.  Jeff let go!
3.  The Gus Bus comes to NWA!!!

WPS!!!!

That would be a 2 out of 3 for me.

Hawg Life

Quote from: rhames on November 13, 2017, 07:44:11 pm

So how could he have said he wouldn't work for Long when Long wasn't even here yet?

Because all the Gus talk is a Bullsh@t!!!

rhames

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 13, 2017, 07:47:05 pm

Because all the Gus talk is a Bullsh@t!!!

I don't think it all is.

I do find it curious how Gus said he would never work for Long when he left here in January 2007 and Long wasn't here yet.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Simple Swineman on November 13, 2017, 07:39:33 pm
Just out of curiosity. How does that stack up against the rest of the league over that time period?

This is Mullen - I think its a good comparison - not Elite but not bad.

2013    Mississippi State    7–6    3–5
2014    Mississippi State    10–3 6–2
2015    Mississippi State    9–4    4–4    
2016    Mississippi State    6–7    3–5       
2017    Mississippi State    7–3    3–3

But won 3/4 Bowl Games.

1highhog

Quote from: netteltonhog on November 13, 2017, 07:39:59 pm
I will be SHOCKED if Gus Malzhan is the next head coach at Arkansas....

You're not going to be shocked, I can promise you Gus will not be coach after Bielema is let go.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Simple Swineman on November 13, 2017, 07:39:33 pm

Please only use teams with top 10 recruiting classes when comparing them to the rest of The SEC. Gus is claim to fame is having Newton & Stidham transfer to Auburn, and neither would've came here.

ricepig

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on November 13, 2017, 07:33:55 pm
I can see Ken Hatfield or Jimmy Johnson being offered the AD position.  Both know how to hire coaches.

Neither one of them wants to work what it takes the AD of a $120m athletic department.

ur

Quote from: rhames on November 13, 2017, 07:48:59 pm

I don't think it all is.

I do find it curious how Gus said he would never work for Long when he left here in January 2007 and Long wasn't here yet.
Long picked BB over Gus.

ricepig

Quote from: rhames on November 13, 2017, 07:48:59 pm

I don't think it all is.

Because Long said a big FU to Gus' supporters who tried to get him the job in 2012, his supporters haven't ever forgotten, so Gus hasn't.

oldhog63

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 13, 2017, 06:59:06 pm
The Mike Bike may be just as efficient to getting us to where we need to go as the Gus Bus.  Both modes of transportation have their +'s and -'s.

Nothing can happen until the Bert Boat is in dry dock.
Haha! Nice one!

Silent

Quote from: rhames on November 13, 2017, 07:44:11 pm

I don't know any jaw dropping details about it. But you know the rumor that petrino tried to make a phone call to Long about meeting his terms and saving his job but long wouldn't take his call? Well, Petrino isn't the only coach Long has blew off. Gus is Where I'm from (Ft Smith area) and has Razorback red in his veins. He's tried being our head coach. And I'll leave it at that.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 13, 2017, 05:56:56 pm
Whatever your opinion on Jeff Long, firing him and Bielema both at this time of the year is not optimal.  It's going to set us back significantly. If you want Bielema gone and a decent replacement then firing Jeff long right now is not the recipe.

Neither Coastal Carolina nor Toledo are on next year's schedule so there is time to rebuild.

hotdog hog

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 13, 2017, 07:15:33 pm
Many who know Gus doubt that he has a heart.
Saban has a heart? Petrino has a heart? Keep Bret if you want a heart! I want a football coach! I'm like most of you that I think Gus likely won't be able to leave that loaded squad to come here. But we would be extremely foolish not to make him the first phone call. I'd think the odds would be 80/20 he would have to stay, but even a 1 in 5 chance, you make the call.

jgphillips3

I don't think anyone with connections is saying Gus IS coming here, it seems they are saying he is at the top of the recruiting board and IF he would accept, then he is choice #1.  At least that's how I'm reading what has been said.

rhames

Quote from: Silent on November 13, 2017, 07:55:54 pm
I don't know any jaw dropping details about it. But you know the rumor that petrino tried to make a phone call to Long about meeting his terms and saving his job but long wouldn't take his call? Well, Petrino isn't the only coach Long has blew off. Gus is Where I'm from (Ft Smith area) and has Razorback red in his veins. He's tried being our head coach. And I'll leave it at that.

Sure, in 2012

But you said Gus made the comment about not wanting to work for Long when Gus left, 2007

Am I misunderstanding you?

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Hollywood870

Quote from: razorpimp on November 13, 2017, 06:40:01 pm
Want to start by saying I'm a Norvell guy!

I'm not sure you guys are giving Gus enough credit for his all around intelligence.  When he was at Ark St he started a marketing program around the state and smaller regional area to create attention for ASU.  He also did programs all over the state at high schools to try and create a buzz.  Did it work, who knows, but I have to give credit for creativity.

I think if he comes to Arkansas, he starts a larger marketing campaign in Oklahoma, Norther Louisiana, and East Texas....I think he hires a couple of staffers with great ties to Texas high school, keeps Michael Smith, and Barry Lunney.  He might be all the things so of you are saying but he isn't an idiot.
How about a marketing program aimed at getting more kids on the field an classroom for Central Arkansas.

shshark00

Anyone stopped to consider if the money is really there for all this to happen? We may have plenty of boosters with the money, but they've never really ponied up the big money to make things happen. For this scenario to happen, we have to pay (the newly speculated) buyout of about $12 million to Bret, prolly $2-$4 million to the staff, possibly the $4 million to Long, almost $9 million for Gus' buyout. Then a couple mil for the new AD contract, most likely $5+ million a year for Gus' contract, and at least $3-$4 million for the asst pool.
That's a ridiculous amount of money that the boosters of this university have never been quick to cough up before. I see no reason to think they would do it now. They'll pay to rid themselves of Bret. But I don't see them being willing to pay for all of this.

trublu4au

You guys thinking that Gus will leave his current situation to come coach at  are off your rockers. First off, it's not about the money. I'm sure  could afford Gus easily. You guys do have a lot of money. The problem with that is so does Auburn, so it's a push. You have great facilities at  but guess what so does Auburn, so again a push.

but here's the boiling question,

Why would Gus want to leave Auburn? - a place where he has won the SEC and played in the NC game, a place where he is currently in contention again for the SEC and a part in the playoffs. A place where he already has his players in place with top 10 class after class for the last 5 years. why would he leave a successful SEC program to take over a program where he would have to start over from scratch and re-recruit his guys again and get  back to competing for the SEC. He already has all of that. Going to  is just regression.

Hollywood870

Quote from: Silent on November 13, 2017, 07:55:54 pm

Hawg Life

Quote from: hotdog hog on November 13, 2017, 07:56:38 pm
Saban has a heart? Petrino has a heart? Keep Bret if you want a heart! I want a football coach! I'm like most of you that I think Gus likely won't be able to leave that loaded squad to come here. But we would be extremely foolish not to make him the first phone call. I'd think the odds would be 80/20 he would have to stay, but even a 1 in 5 chance, you make the call.

We need to go forward not backwards.. no more GOBN. Start over. Gus has had success with a bought QB and a transfer, not even with top 10 classes. Norvell is what we need and I hope we are FORTUNATE enough to call him coach.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 13, 2017, 08:01:31 pm
We need to go forward not backwards.. no more GOBN. Start over. Gus has had success with a bought QB and a transfer, not even with top 10 classes. Norvell is what we need and I hope we are FORTUNATE enough to call him coach.

One thing you might want to consider...without this "GOBN," we might well be looking at another year of Long and Bielema.

Given that, I'm all for letting those gentlemen hash this thing out.

Silent

Quote from: rhames on November 13, 2017, 07:58:28 pm

Sure, in 2012

But you said Gus made the comment about not wanting to work for Long when Gus left, 2007

Am I misunderstanding you?

My apologies I see what you mean, I went back and read my original post, I should have worded that different, I was simply referencing a vague time frame. Replace Gus With Nutt for a more accurate timeframe.

Hawg Life

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 13, 2017, 08:07:17 pm
One thing you might want to consider...without this "GOBN," we might well be looking at another year of Long and Bielema.

Bielema fired Bielema.

Arthur pigby sellers.

gus could very well be in the playoffs Jan 1 and possibly in the National championship on the 8th. The timing doesn't work out for him to be our coach. With all the other programs hiring we can't afford to wait around on a long shot to finish up his season. I guess if he lost this week to Bama then we could find out his interest without waiting too late.

BOAR_N2BWILD

I'm not sure why everyone is so high on Norvell? Not being obtuse or negative I just don't know much about what he has actually accomplished that puts him as an SEC caliber coach that would revive this program.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

hog_fan

ricepig

Quote from: shshark00 on November 13, 2017, 07:59:19 pm
Anyone stopped to consider if the money is really there for all this to happen? We may have plenty of boosters with the money, but they've never really ponied up the big money to make things happen. For this scenario to happen, we have to pay (the newly speculated) buyout of about $12 million to Bret, prolly $2-$4 million to the staff, possibly the $4 million to Long, almost $9 million for Gus' buyout. Then a couple mil for the new AD contract, most likely $5+ million a year for Gus' contract, and at least $3-$4 million for the asst pool.
That's a ridiculous amount of money that the boosters of this university have never been quick to cough up before. I see no reason to think they would do it now. They'll pay to rid themselves of Bret. But I don't see them being willing to pay for all of this.

Gus doesn't have a buyout, especially if he brings his whole staff.

Paul

Quote from: sickboy on November 13, 2017, 06:08:54 pm
Unless we have an ace up our sleeve, the only person I can imagine will take this position after Long is either fired or gracefully takes another position somewhere else will be someone with personal ties to the program. I doubt a nationally renowned AD is going to step into a program that will fire or force out an AD as well regarded nationally as Jeff Long. I'm speaking purely about perception. Not reality, necessarily. Which tells me that if Long were to leave, we're more than likely going to slide back in to the good ol' boy system. Not saying that can't work, but we know it can go south pretty quick too.

Either way, no AD is really going to have that huge of an effect on athletic programs anyway. It's up to the coaches to win games. And unless we get a good one -- it doesn't matter who the AD is. Jeff Long or Ronald Reagan's cold corpse.
u probably are underestimating the job of AD

Flighthawg

Get Nutt to repalce Long, Gus to replace Brett. I am being sarcastic of course.

Hawg Life

Quote from: ricepig on November 13, 2017, 08:15:38 pm

He'll have a buyout after he pimps us and Auburn gives him a raise and an extension.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 13, 2017, 08:18:29 pm
He'll have a buyout after he pimps us and Auburn gives him a raise and an extension.

Yep, no doubt, $7-8m salary and $20m buyout, which will be fine with me.

rtr

Look at the Arkansas/Auburn series record before Bielema got here.  Arkansas was competitive with Auburn. 
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: shshark00 on November 13, 2017, 07:59:19 pm

We have boosters that $40 Million Dollars is their pocket change.  They make that in an hour.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

MissippHog

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on November 13, 2017, 08:12:01 pm
gus could very well be in the playoffs Jan 1 and possibly in the National championship on the 8th. The timing doesn't work out for him to be our coach. With all the other programs hiring we can't afford to wait around on a long shot to finish up his season. I guess if he lost this week to Bama then we could find out his interest without waiting too late.
But, but, but it's in his heart to come back home........

::)

shshark00

Quote from: ricepig on November 13, 2017, 08:15:38 pm

Gus has to bring his entire staff or else he does have a buyout.

shshark00

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on November 13, 2017, 08:22:02 pm
We have boosters that $40 Million Dollars is their pocket change.  They make that in an hour.
Yes, very true. Yet they have never coughed up the money before to make this significant of a change happen. I'm not questioning if the money is there, I'm well aware it is. I'm questioning whether they're willing to pay for it, which their history shows they are not

ur

Quote from: shshark00 on November 13, 2017, 08:23:57 pm
Only the ones that don't come with him or don't stay with the new coach at auburn.

shshark00

Quote from: ur on November 13, 2017, 08:25:45 pm
Only the ones that don't come with him or don't stay with the new coach at auburn.
Yes that's the language in the contract. So I'm obviously assuming anyone left behind won't be retained by their new coach which means he brings his whole staff or pays the buyout for those left behind.

Hawg Life

Quote from: shshark00 on November 13, 2017, 08:23:57 pm

I'd like to roundhouse Paul Finebaum for mentioning this as a possible scenario. I can't believe so many have fallen for this nonsense. There's 0.0% chance Gus ever coaches @ Arkansas!!

theFlyingHog

We have some people seriously stuck in the past  :-\