Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What I want in our Next Coach

Started by WilsonHog, October 23, 2017, 04:22:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

I want a man who values and emphasizes attention to detail in all things. A man who demands every day that his players strive for perfection in everything they do. A guy who, if you run the wrong route, take the wrong angle, step the wrong way, he's going to (a) notice it and (b) immediately crawl your ass about it. Down 31-0 or up 31-0, do it right or have him in your face giving you pure hell. Lou Holtz was like that. Bobby Petrino was like that. I suspect strongly that Wilson Matthews was like that.

dalefromspringdale

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 23, 2017, 04:22:37 pm
I want a man who values and emphasizes attention to detail in all things. A man who demands every day that his players strive for perfection in everything they do. A guy who, if you run the wrong route, take the wrong angle, step the wrong way, he's going to (a) notice it and (b) immediately crawl your ass about it. Down 31-0 or up 31-0, do it right or have him in your face giving you pure hell. Lou Holtz was like that. Bobby Petrino was like that. I suspect strongly that Wilson Matthews was like that.

Sounds a lot like Gus Malzahn.

Kevin

yes
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Cotton

"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

cosmodrum

Quote from: Cotton on October 23, 2017, 04:28:30 pm
Kristi, is that you?

I'd go ahead and ignore the single post panty stains that clamor for Gus with a Springdale handle. Just me though.
Go away, batin'

ricepig

Bigmac2

Good OP. Not demanding the perfection visually or loud enough for others to hear and know you mean business is either mental inability or apathy whether your are up 31 or down 31. I to want someone who shows that and expects that. Even Hatfield was like that to an extent. Even Nutt had his assistant coaches do the bad cop while he was the good cop. Holtz showed it.  Petrino definitely showed it.

Look at the successful coaches now. Any coach in the top 10, they show it.

WilsonHog

Quote from: cosmodrum on October 23, 2017, 04:30:13 pm
I'd go ahead and ignore the single post panty stains that clamor for Gus with a Springdale handle. Just me though.

I'd take Malzahn this afternoon, and I've never lived in Springdale a day in my life. He hasn't done anything in my mind that a couple of winning seasons wouldn't wash away.

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 23, 2017, 04:32:35 pm
I'd take Malzahn this afternoon, and I've never lived in Springdale a day in my life. He hasn't done anything in my mind that a couple of winning seasons wouldn't wash away.

We've had 3 consecutive winning seasons until this year, raise your sights.....

RazorPiggie

Definitely want a coach that gets in top 10 talent yet goes 8-5 7-6 8-5. Sign me up for that. But yes I agree with your OP.

tolerati

I agree with you WilsonHog. I also want a man who values RESPECT.  He demands respect from his players. He respects the values and traditions of the University.  He respects the players but always demands that his players stay focused and give their best efforts in respect to the team. He respects himself, his family and community.  He always coaches a team that has to be respected by Hog opponents on the field and off.  He also respects his opponents.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Tusks

Or don't fire the 'attention to detail' coach the UA already had.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

seasonhog

Today;.......to many are hung up on personality then winning Football games......we may have a long road ahead to right this ship if ever........this program has fell off a cliff.

Redhogs

Quote from: dalefromspringdale on October 23, 2017, 04:27:41 pm
Sounds a lot like Gus Malzahn.
Hell no...we need new blood in here. Norvell, Campbell, Fuentes...no more Ar. retreads...ever.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

bennyl08

From 2014-2016, he won a single more game at Auburn than Bielema won here. 1-2 bowl record in that span compared to a 2-1 bowl record under Bielema. All that despite having a major recruiting advantage.

Not sure you'd get those couple of winning seasons with Gus, at least if your definition of winning includes more than we've been doing lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

GWFan

I agree and will add that at this rate, a couple of wins period.

WilsonHog

Petrino was known as an ass. Knew it before he ever came to Arkansas. I can't honestly say that ever crossed my mind when we were winning 21 games in two years. I once saw Lou Holtz verbally abuse his secondary coach in front of players because he wasn't performing up to Holtz's standard. I don't need a nice guy. I don't need a guy who everyone loves.

I need a coach who will hold himself, his coaches, and his players to the highest possible standard. If that single-minded focus makes him an ass to deal with, that's a small price to pay.

Because on the flip side of that, when I was walking back to my truck after watching us get our **** pushed in by Auburn Saturday night, what a great guy Bielema is never crossed my mind.

cosmodrum

If we want the political drama from Nutt's last couple of years th...aw hell, let's get weird. It's who we are.
Go away, batin'

hobhog

Be nice to have someone who is at least vaguely familiar with Hog history and tradition. Long led us astray, and coach B and BP had no clue who were were until stepped on campus. Gus is not the answer- we have enough division in program now without his drama.

Is there any young coach from the region that is worth taking chance on....?

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on October 23, 2017, 04:57:17 pm
Be nice to have someone who is at least vaguely familiar with Hog history and tradition. Long led us astray, and coach B and BP had no clue who were were until stepped on campus. Gus is not the answer- we have enough division in program now without his drama.

Norvell would be my guess, he should know something about Arkansas....

The_Iceman

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 23, 2017, 04:37:11 pm
Definitely want a coach that gets in top 10 talent yet goes 8-5 7-6 8-5. Sign me up for that. But yes I agree with your OP.

Exactly. He is already in this conference not getting it done with superior talent. He would do much worse here. We need some new blood, like Chad Morris.

WilsonHog

I am by no means hung up on Malzahn.

But other than Art Briles, I can't think of a coach I wouldn't consider if I thought he would help us win more football games.

bennyl08

Quote from: hobhog on October 23, 2017, 04:57:17 pm

Why? What benefit does that have?

Sure, all else being equal, that person would be more likely to have relations with HS coaches in the area and be more likely to stay here longer if things work out. However, that's all else being equal which isn't likely. If the guy is a good coach and a good recruiter, it won't matter if he doesn't know arkansas HS coaches.

If given a choice between a B+ coach with no Arkansas ties whatsoever and a B- coach with deep ties, hands down choose the better coach.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 23, 2017, 05:03:00 pm

But other than Art Briles, I can't think of a coach I wouldn't consider if I thought he would help us win more football games.

So, outside of Art, it's anything to get a win, how about Freeze?

bennyl08

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 23, 2017, 05:03:00 pm

I'm with you there. I'd certainly give Malzahn a look. However, a look at his resume would pretty easily remove him from the list of possibilities.

Swestwill66

Quote from: bennyl08 on October 23, 2017, 04:46:02 pm
From 2014-2016, he won a single more game at Auburn than Bielema won here. 1-2 bowl record in that span compared to a 2-1 bowl record under Bielema. All that despite having a major recruiting advantage.

Not sure you'd get those couple of winning seasons with Gus, at least if your definition of winning includes more than we've been doing lately.
I would agree with you.He won a natty there but what has he done since with quality talent ? You are what your record says you are. With that said, he probably would be an upgrade over what we have now.
Is there a hard nosed, detail oriented coach out there that we could get?

ricepig

Quote from: Swestwill66 on October 23, 2017, 05:06:36 pm
I would agree with you.He won a natty there but what has he done since with quality talent ? You are what your record says you are. With that said, he probably would be an upgrade over what we have now.
Is there a hard nosed, detail oriented coach out there that we could get?

Pretty sure Chizik won the NC.

hobhog

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 23, 2017, 05:08:20 pm
I hate to break the news to you, but if you limit your search to that criteria, success is a long way off.  I don't care if the coach doesn't know crap about Arkansas or It's FB prowess, oh wait, we haven't had FB prowess!  All of that crap can be googled, it's 2017, everyone within a cell signal can tell you that.  Folks, I don't care where the next HC is from, all I care about is getting to 9-3, 10-2, 11-1 and at least challenge Saban every once in a while!  Screw 7-6 and a garbage bowl!  Top 10 or bust but it starts with a consistent 9-3 record!

Just sad it would be nice. I realize it's been so long since we have been consistently relevant that no young coach remembers it. Just don't want to be a steppingstone. But agree I'll take a winner no matter region as long as committed to us. Preferably below Maaon Dixon line for recruiting reasons .

Swestwill66

Quote from: ricepig on October 23, 2017, 05:08:09 pm
Yeah,he was still oc . and Chizek is outta coaching. My bad.

ricepig

Quote from: Swestwill66 on October 23, 2017, 05:15:39 pm
Yeah,he was still oc . and Chizek is outta coaching. My bad.

So, Auburn may do the same to Gus, lol.

WilsonHog

October 23, 2017, 05:21:02 pm #30 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 05:42:28 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: ricepig on October 23, 2017, 05:05:34 pm
So, outside of Art, it's anything to get a win, how about Freeze?

I think you know the answer to that, and the point I am making.

Yeah, I'm a little frustrated. Probably started yesterday, when it occurred to me that I had more fun spending $200 bucks on a great dinner and a movie last Friday night that I did dropping about $700 (prorating the RF contribution, ticket cost and concessions) to watch us get embarrassed (again, for the third year in a row) by a guy we're too good to take.

hogsanity

What I want is someone that can recruit enough LEGIT SEC talent to maybe oh I don't know win a div title. Is that asking too much?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg414

Quote from: hogsanity on October 23, 2017, 05:27:49 pm
What I want is someone that can recruit enough LEGIT SEC talent to maybe oh I don't know win a div title. Is that asking too much?

such a person doesnt exist when the best team in the country over the past decade also resides in your same division.  and shows no signs of slowing down any time soon.  but it sure would be nice to be 2nd every once in a while... which is usually good for also being top 5 ranked.

but your stance is if we cant win the SEC and the NC, then why not just be happy with 7 or 8 wins.

HiggiePiggy

So how do you expect to do that?  We have recruited about the same since joining the sec.  I believe the last few years our average has been a little better than our normal.   How about get a damn coach that knows what they are doing and I bet this team wins at least 8 next year with a good coach.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Hog Pharm

It's hard to know if a person emphasizes attention to detail without being around him everyday. Plus I think you can be a successful coach without being an a** to everyone. I don't think anyone can point to one reason it isn't working with Bielema. It's just apparent that for whatever reason it isn't.

3Scoreand10

I agree with you but would add----
A coach that does not try to put square pegs in round holes.  By that I mean to look at the players you have and scheme and plan to fit their abilities. 
It's great if you can recruit to your system, but if not change the system to fit the talent.

Boardon Hamsay

So, you're a man that can be bought? Fair enough. Explains a lot of the "tennis match" your posts tend to play, depending on the hour.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

hog of steele

One thing I loved about BP was that his playbook had extensive instructions about getting into and out of a huddle. The level of thought that went into each movement was impressive. I agree. I want that back. I just want it with a side of character.

ballinhog

Not only that but also must value speed speed speed! Even if we have to be undersized at some spots we have to have the speed. TCU and Gary Patterson is our model. They don't have top 10 classes every year but they have speed to burn

ChicoHog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 23, 2017, 05:40:40 pm
So how do you expect to do that?  We have recruited about the same since joining the sec.  I believe the last few years our average has been a little better than our normal.   How about get a damn coach that knows what they are doing and I bet this team wins at least 8 next year with a good coach.
Because we've never hired any great recruiters as head coaches with the possible exception of Danny Ford but that was before the internet and following recruiting was an every day deal.  Nutt, Petrino and aren't great recruiters.  BB probably the best among them but still not great.  Swinney, Meyer and Saban are the best recruiters and Franklin and Harbaugh aren't far behind.    We won't get them but maybe Brent Venables or Joe Moorhead or Jeremy Pruitt-guys that work under the best recruiters and know how to do it. 

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

BrianG

Chizik doesn't win that without Mahlzan.  Not even close.

DOGALUM

Quote from: BrianG on October 23, 2017, 07:08:47 pm
Chizik doesn't win that without Mahlzan.  Not even close.
neither of them win it without Cam Newton.  Not even close.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: DOGALUM on October 23, 2017, 07:17:56 pm
neither of them win it without Cam Newton.  Not even close.

They might have won with Nick Marshall that year also. Let's not forget he did go to another NC game and almost won that with someone other than Cam Newton. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

ipigsooie

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 23, 2017, 07:35:05 pm
They might have won with Nick Marshall that year also. Let's not forget he did go to another NC game and almost won that with someone other than Cam Newton.
Belichik doesn't win it without Brady.  JJ doesn't win it without Aikman.....oooohhh this game is fun.

lakecityhog

Please, tell us the coach that can do that right now????? You are so hung up on Bama and being Bama that maybe you should consider making yourself happy by becoming a Bama fan. I'm pretty sure it would make some of us happy too!

Hoggie17

Exactly

Hog fans need to stop this silly bickering and get behind a winner. Gus is a winner, this is his home he would stay here, he would be more than a hired gun. He would win 8 or more games a year.  Wouldn't you Hog fans like that.

parallaxpig

Pretty sure Cam "The $120,000 Man" Newton won the NC
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 23, 2017, 07:54:42 pm
Exactly

Hog fans need to stop this silly bickering and get behind a winner. Gus is a winner, this is his home he would stay here, he would be more than a hired gun. He would win 8 or more games a year.  Wouldn't you Hog fans like that.

His last three years he's won 8, 7, and 8 respectively.  With all that Awbarn talent.  What.  Makes.  You.  Think.  He'd. Win.  Eight. Or. More. A. Year. Here???????
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: The Chief on October 23, 2017, 08:01:23 pm
His last three years he's won 8, 7, and 8 respectively.  With all that Awbarn talent.  What.  Makes.  You.  Think.  He'd. Win.  Eight. Or. More. A. Year. Here???????
Long will probably hire Jim Grobe anyway.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***