Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did no one listen to Wally!

Started by Hogs-n-Roses, October 23, 2017, 08:24:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogs-n-Roses

Go back and listen to Wally. He told you the formula. Of course it could have been smoke last week where we thought change was coming but Longs guy is Bielema.

hawgdavis

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 23, 2017, 08:24:03 am
Go back and listen to Wally. He told you the formula. Of course it could have been smoke last week where we thought change was coming but Longs guy is Bielema.

For those of us that are way out of the state would you mind giving us a recap please.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: hawgdavis on October 23, 2017, 08:27:26 am
For those of us that are way out of the state would you mind giving us a recap please.
When Wally was on Finebaum,and was asked about Jeff Longs new contract,, he sounded like it was news to him. When asked about who would have to go first, he said the AD. Aparently the AD is going nowhere.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 23, 2017, 08:34:47 am
When Wally was on Finebaum,and was asked about Jeff Longs new contract,, he sounded like it was news to him. When asked about who would have to go first, he said the AD. Aparently the AD is going nowhere.

No, the AD will have to go first.  Long will be out of the picture in due time and that means before the season is over.

hawgon

I think Long has his wagon hitched to Bert.  At this point he probably wishes that he didn't and he may try to throw Bert under the wheels, but I don't think that certain people are going to forgive or forget.

Sundog

Long will not be fired now nor even in the foreseeable future.  Bert will coach in 2018 with an improved record which will be used to justify his continuance.

rhames

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 23, 2017, 08:47:15 am
No, the AD will have to go first.  Long will be out of the picture in due time and that means before the season is over.

Well kind of running out of time for this theory.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Sundog on October 23, 2017, 08:52:13 am
Long will not be fired now nor even in the foreseeable future.  Bert will coach in 2018 with an improved record which will be used to justify his continuance.

Never gonna happen. This fanbase, the players, and the program are done with Bielema. He is gone.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 23, 2017, 09:02:29 am
Never gonna happen. This fanbase, the players, and the program are done with Bielema. He is gone.

To set the record straight, and as odd as it may sound, the players love Bielema, they are not done with him except for possibly a select few.  Even more odd to me is the oline even likes coach A. 

Disclaimer: don't take this as I'm taking up for either, I think it's time for both to go

rhames

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 23, 2017, 09:04:40 am
To set the record straight, and as odd as it may sound, the players love Bielema, they are not done with him except for possibly a select few.  Even more odd to me is the oline even likes coach A. 

Disclaimer: don't take this as I'm taking up for either, I think it's time for both to go

They sure don't play like they love him IMO

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

hawgon

Quote from: rhames on October 23, 2017, 09:05:53 am

They sure don't play like they love him IMO

Love is the worst motivator because when it comes down to it, we all love ourselves more than anyone else. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

So many act like something should be done right now... that's asinine and never helps the situation. 

Decisions should be made at the end of the season.  The lack of competitiveness should certainly be considered.  Why wouldn't it?

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: hawgon on October 23, 2017, 09:08:20 am
Love is the worst motivator because when it comes down to it, we all love ourselves more than anyone else.
Damn, that's cold. Don't you have kids??
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

hawg IQ

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 23, 2017, 08:24:03 am
the problem is coaching hires has to be right the first time. If that is not done, always, always the AD should be fired first. You fire the first guy not doing his job ( J Long). also, the AD should maintain control of his hire and evaluate he/she correctly.
  Its gonna fall on the Board to replace Long. The tea leaves don't show that now. If Long stays, Beilema stays.  BB is not going anywhere unless he resigns, which is not likely.   Here is what will take place, the fans will stop going to games (like basketball) then eventually long, BB or both will leave in  next 3-4 years. Football program will tank and be set back for 5-7 years.

I've said before on here, you can't run out and hire a coach every 4 years. too many factors such as recruiting and such. The problem was/is  that smash mouth fb won't work in sec. You have to have some type of spread/ hurry up.   There are two reasons, one is too compete offensive/defensive, the other is that's what high school teams are doing. Its like up tempo in basket ball.

go hogs go !

hawgon

Quote from: golf2day on October 23, 2017, 09:11:05 am
Damn, that's cold. Don't you have kids??

Yeah, and she won't do darn unless I threaten her with consequences and I know that she loves me.  Getting her to do her homework is a nightly struggle only accomplished with lots of threats.  But, hey, I'm sure she would do great if I asked her really nice and bought her ice cream every day.

hogcard1964

Keep in mind in 2012 the players of that year's squad wanted John L. Smith as their new coach.  Bielema is gone, but the real problem may remain if Long has a say in the next hire.

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: hawg IQ on October 23, 2017, 09:14:21 am
the problem is coaching hires has to be right the first time. If that is not done, always, always the AD should be fired first. You fire the first guy not doing his job ( J Long). also, the AD should maintain control of his hire and evaluate he/she correctly.

This is just silly...  by your logic JFB should been fired what 4 times in his tenure as AD for bad coaching hires?   Not always gonna pick the right guy, but have to put the university in a position to move on and hire someone else.  And you have do that at the right time.  From everything that has come out about the contract fine print recently it appears Long has done just that, and appears he is also ready to move on from coach B.

HotlantaHog

Of course Long is supportive of CBB -- publicly and otherwise, he likes the guy and wants him to succeed.

He is 100% behind him until he isn't.

I wouldn't read much into Long's affection for CBB. In the end, he will do what he has to do.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hawg IQ on October 23, 2017, 09:14:21 am
  Its gonna fall on the Board to replace Long. The tea leaves don't show that now. If Long stays, Beilema stays.  BB is not going anywhere unless he resigns, which is not likely.   Here is what will take place, the fans will stop going to games (like basketball) then eventually long, BB or both will leave in  next 3-4 years. Football program will tank and be set back for 5-7 years.

I've said before on here, you can't run out and hire a coach every 4 years. too many factors such as recruiting and such. The problem was/is  that smash mouth fb won't work in sec. You have to have some type of spread/ hurry up.   There are two reasons, one is too compete offensive/defensive, the other is that's what high school teams are doing. Its like up tempo in basket ball.

You don't fire the AD every time one of the coaches he hires isn't doing a good job. The AD hires football, basketball, baseball, track, tennis, softball, volleyball and on and on.  You'd have institutions firing AD's yearly.  It's the same as any business.  You don't fire the manager when he hires a bad employee.  The manager evaluates the situation and then fires the bad employee.  If he doesn't do that,  THAT's when you fire the manager, or in this case the AD.  If he keeps hiring bad employees then the manager (AD) needs to be let go.         

Seebs

So he may have been wrong?  I will alert the media.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 23, 2017, 09:20:33 am
Of course Long is supportive of CBB -- publicly and otherwise, he likes the guy and wants him to succeed.

He is 100% behind him until he isn't.

I wouldn't read much into Long's affection for CBB. In the end, he will do what he has to do.

Long is a pragmatist, He's worked with Bielema for a little less than five years he isn't going to mortgage his career for Bielema. Why would he?

Hoggish1

Right.  Players liking a coach is called being a player's coach.  That can work in the pros, but usually doesn't. 

It's always the wrong motivation for players who are in college.  Players who "like" vs. player who "respect" are diametrically opposed emotions. 

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 23, 2017, 09:17:02 am
Keep in mind in 2012 the players of that year's squad wanted John L. Smith as their new coach.  Bielema is gone, but the real problem may remain if Long has a say in the next hire.

This is a good point.  i'm sure a lot of the players do love Bielema, but as you pointed out there were a lot of stories about how much the players loved John L Smith, and how hard they were going to play for him. Just because the players love him is no indicator of success or that he should stay around.

Sundog

Yet, not a single person you mention has the authority to hire/fire; thus rendering your post to no more than wishful thinking. Unfortunately.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tusks

Fans are apprehensive about Long because he isn't known for hiring great football coaches.

When he goes after 'his guy' his history is very weak.  He doesnt seem to be able to hire with any savvy.  It's what looks good on paper, not an insightful visionary type hire.  He has no feel for a young great coach. 

Fans have an absolute right to be worried about what he will come up with.  If you hire the worst HC in 60 years then you should damn well take some heat for it.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

smb

This.
GeorgiaHOG

mckinneyhog5

Nope
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 23, 2017, 09:17:02 am

Believe me, I remember.  We had players advocating for the cool big brother type c A huge.  The one that had the team QB go to the AD to push for.  The one that didn't require the "elite" kids to even show up to film session and such.  Yes, I remember. 

I'm just telling what's coming out of the locker room

hawg IQ

Quote from: Reservoir Hogs on October 23, 2017, 09:19:53 am
This is just silly...  by your logic JFB should been fired what 4 times in his tenure as AD for bad coaching hires?   Not always gonna pick the right guy, but have to put the university in a position to move on and hire someone else.  And you have do that at the right time.  From everything that has come out about the contract fine print recently it appears Long has done just that, and appears he is also ready to move on from coach B.

The difference is with JFB, well several differences really. 1. JFB was a reliable AD that didn't need to display his ability to make important decisions.
2. completely different era now.  3.  Football program came first with JFB.  4.  Fan base mattered to coach Broyles, it doesn't to Long. 5. JFB was a SEC advocate and so on. I've already said the AD's job is to evaluate and respond accordingly to employee's job ( open hands ?? ) . Its alright if you think another way is better, I don't mind, I stand by my thoughts here.
go hogs go !

SquidBilly

The players deserve a coach that puts them in the best position to win.  Whether they love him or not is irrelevant so long as they know he'll prepare them to the best of their abilities to win.  Do that and they'll respect him.  I get a sense from some of the body language we've seen from AA and others throughout the year that the respect is waning for this staff.  I do believe they love CBB because he seems like a nice enough guy but in the words of Patty Smyth, "sometimes love just ain't enough".

HawgPound

Grizzlyfan

Most players love their coaches.  And most college players understand that their coach is making millions and you have to win. 

hawg IQ

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on October 23, 2017, 09:24:52 am
You don't fire the AD every time one of the coaches he hires isn't doing a good job. The AD hires football, basketball, baseball, track, tennis, softball, volleyball and on and on.  You'd have institutions firing AD's yearly.  It's the same as any business.  You don't fire the manager when he hires a bad employee.  The manager evaluates the situation and then fires the bad employee.  If he doesn't do that,  THAT's when you fire the manager, or in this case the AD.  If he keeps hiring bad employees then the manager (AD) needs to be let go.         
so lets just wreck the football program for next 6-8 years is your take then huh?
go hogs go !

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Kevin

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on October 23, 2017, 10:22:27 am
My "sources" can beat up his "sources".

we shall see.

lots of people putting their hogville reputation online
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

code red

Agreed no way it improves.  Do you think Enos is coming back?  LOL. No way.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Scott7703

Wally said this morning on the radio that Bret wouldn't be back.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hawg IQ on October 23, 2017, 10:21:33 am
so lets just wreck the football program for next 6-8 years is your take then huh?

No.  But you said that every time a coach is fired the AD has to be fired first, I'm just pointing out that it doesn't work that way, any where.  it does happen sometimes like at Nebraska, but it isn't a common practice, not should it be.  The AD is in charge of athletics, that is broad spectrum. Now if he continues to keep around a failing coach in one of his primary sports then he is neglecting his duties as the AD and he should probably be let go.

GuvHog

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 23, 2017, 12:18:38 pm
You people are dreaming.  Long isn’t going any where.  I believe his contract extension is in the works.  I also believe he WAS willing to fall on his sword for BB.  Anyone heard from, saw a tweet from, or read an article of JLs the last few weeks?  He has already been given his “fire BB or else marching orders.”  He tussled with the bull and got gored!  Yes Dorothy, he fought the good fight for BB but it’s clear he lost and BB is a DMW and JL is doing what all creatures on this earth do, fighting for self preservation.  He’s not going any where but BB is already gone.

The BOT is waiting until November to consider Jeff Long's future at Arkansas. There's a reason why they are putting it off so long. Let that sink in.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on October 23, 2017, 12:23:41 pm
The BOT is waiting until November to consider Jeff Long's future at Arkansas. There's a reason why they are putting it off so long. Let that sink in.

Naw....probably has more to do with it being that's when their next meeting is.

247Hog

You guys need to make up your minds.

I hear BB is Longs guy and he's going to stick with him. Then you hear Long is in it for himself. Well fellas, it can't be both. If Long is about him self, his stock is going down a little each week with what BB puts on the field. Now how do you think Long will look if he has BB for one more entire season? BB will not coach here after the season. Long will be here. Long also knows that he hired the worst coach in Arkansas history and the next hire is a career defining hire. He will not half ass the hire because those that have bleed for the hogs wont let him. When have you had past players go on the radio and blast the team like this? When have you had Arkansas media show a backbone and go on national media? This season sucks...BB won't be our coach much longer. It's not that i have 100% faith in Long, i have faith in the people that LOVE the hogs and don't see our athletic dept as just a job.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

theFlyingHog

I can't believe how much crap people are making up. Another week or so and I'll have to get the boat out, won't be any wading through it.

Pig in the Pokey

You guys are just being willfully ignorant now. I already told ya'll he is getting an extension next month and what he had to do to get that lined up.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 23, 2017, 01:02:05 pm
No, you let it sink in the last time an AD was extended and announced in the middle of a season.  The BOT is not waiting until November to consider JL's future, they are waiting until November to announce it!  The ONLY way JL is out is if he bucks the system and refuse to fire BB, which he won't.  He tried and lost.  It'll come out in the aftermath.  You can take that to the bank. I find it hilarious that Feinbaum knew more about contract talk at UA than the Editor of the largest print media sports editor in the state.  Guess how he knew?  People love being important and someone on the BOT called a nationally syndicated, and the most popular, sports TV host to hob nob!  JL ain't going nowhere!
HEY!!! Somebody who knows what the fugg he's talking about!!! Welcome to the tiny club. Prepare to be called ignorant, a liar, and schizophrenic LOL!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

GuvHog

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 23, 2017, 01:02:05 pm
No, you let it sink in the last time an AD was extended and announced in the middle of a season.  The BOT is not waiting until November to consider JL’s future, they are waiting until November to announce it!  The ONLY way JL is out is if he bucks the system and refuse to fire BB, which he won’t.  He tried and lost.  It’ll come out in the aftermath.  You can take that to the bank. I find it hilarious that Feinbaum knew more about contract talk at UA than the Editor of the largest print media sports editor in the state.  Guess how he knew?  People love being important and someone on the BOT called a nationally syndicated, and the most popular, sports TV host to hob nob!  JL ain’t going nowhere!

Wrong. They are not voting on it until November because the vote will be close and both sides are working to gain a majority of the votes on the BOT. There have been several people posting about that here on Hogville.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

sickboy

Quote from: Kevin on October 23, 2017, 10:23:24 am
we shall see.

lots of people putting their hogville reputation online

Do people take hogville reputations seriously?

snoblind

I've heard differently, but 2nd hand so who knows.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Scott7703 on October 23, 2017, 11:38:52 am
Wally said this morning on the radio that Bret wouldn't be back.
I hope Wally is right.and he needs to take Jeff Long with him.the Razorbacks are not just getting beat.they are getting destroyed almost every game.ot's a disgrace.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: snoblind on October 23, 2017, 01:19:17 pm
I've heard differently, but 2nd hand so who knows.
1st hand- many like him, some dont at all. Some consider him petty, doesn't practice what he preaches, and not up for the task at hand....