Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When looking for a New Coach

Started by Hoggie17, September 14, 2017, 10:53:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggie17

Gen. John J Pershing once said, "A competent leader can get efficient service from poor troops, while on the contrary an incapable leader can demoralize the best of troops." The same can be said about a college football coach. Change the word troops to the word players

Hoggie17

The 3 most competent coaches we have had are Broyles Holtz and Petrino.

Hoggie17

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 14, 2017, 10:53:28 pm
Gen. John J Pershing once said, "A competent leader can get efficient service from poor troops, while on the contrary an incapable leader can demoralize the best of troops." The same can be said about a college football coach. Change the word troops to the word players
I hate to admit it, but this is the sad state of affairs now that we find the Arkansas program in, we have an incapable leader.

hogsanity

So we have the best players and a poor leader? BB may not be a great leader but we have far from the best players.

Or are we back to the old " gotta coach em up " line of thinking because we have finally given up on actually ever having the best players?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hoggie17

Quote from: hogsanity on September 15, 2017, 08:20:25 am
So we have the best players and a poor leader? BB may not be a great leader but we have far from the best players.

Or are we back to the old " gotta coach em up " line of thinking because we have finally given up on actually ever having the best players?
NO, we don't have the best players, I for one don't BB recruits well. What I was saying if he had good players he would not use them wisely or even coach them up. AA has regressed is for example.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 15, 2017, 08:33:25 am
NO, we don't have the best players, I for one don't BB recruits well. What I was saying if he had good players he would not use them wisely or even coach them up. AA has regressed is for example.

That's just supposition. As far as AA, is it possible that losing 4 of the top 5 receivers, all 4 making nfl rosters btw, and replacing them with talented but young receivers has made some of the difference?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BigE_23

Quote from: hogsanity on September 15, 2017, 09:18:57 am
That's just supposition. As far as AA, is it possible that losing 4 of the top 5 receivers, all 4 making nfl rosters btw, and replacing them with talented but young receivers has made some of the difference?

That logic works both ways...because last season was AA's first as the starter and he was therefore throwing to that group of receivers in meaningful situations for the first time.

Both this year and last year there was a "chemistry curve" (evident week 1 against LA Tech) - you don't get to use one as an excuse while ignoring the other, and you don't get to simply blame going 9 for 23 on young receivers.

I do think Austin's comments in his presser the other day were spot on. He's feeling the pressure of being a SR captain and isn't playing as loose as he did last year (which BTW could have something to do with a lack of chemistry with this new group of receivers). Hopefully he'll get it figured out during the week off.

What's most alarming to me is the play-calling and lack of creativity.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 14, 2017, 11:02:35 pm
The 3 most competent coaches we have had are Broyles Holtz and Petrino.

Ken Hatfield was 55-17-1 at Arkansas. Including 20-4 in his final 2 seasons.

solitons

Nutt won some games unexpected, BP won all games should win, BB lost games should win