Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One thing I do miss about Petrino

Started by WilsonHog, September 14, 2017, 07:34:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rtr

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 14, 2017, 08:15:43 pm
A bit of romanticizing. We didn't always. Part of the Legend of BP edited. 

But I will agree with Wilson.  He was a micromanager of his program. 
He just didn't play your brand of football. 
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Swestwill66

I wonder what Bobby could do at Florida, LSU or aTm

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rtr on September 14, 2017, 09:16:48 pm
He just didn't play your brand of football.

He did   2010 offense was a thing of beauty after he remembered the running game after Bama.  Big arm qb and good WRs pressuring the defense vertically.  Good RBs.   Excellent TE. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 14, 2017, 08:37:34 pm
do you hear the national media blasting Petrino for making mistakes ? rhetorical question, Farley...no they don't, oh you'll get the occasional article on what a bad person Petrino is, but by and large the national media along with the fans of college football have moved on...all we had to do, and remember, this was the off season, was to wait it out, let Long punish Petrino in a reasonable manner and sojourn forward...the football world wouldn't have cared less....but oh no, we had to fly off the handle and run off the best coach since JFB because he was banging his hired helper...far worse has been done, see Rick Pitino, who keeps winning ironically at the same institution Petrino does, UL...anyway, Long jumped the shark and now we are left with a coach who will never do better than 8-4...enjoy this 4-8 season, folks
excellent post 1969.  You are right on.  But like Jake the Snake said in one of his posts, many of these threads evolve into a lovefest for BP and unfortunately BP isnt coming back. Im as guilty as anyone of bringing his name up mainly because we freakin had an excellent coach who could take some decent recruits but not great and make them into something.  We had him.  We could have kept him, but in our haste to become Integrity U, we ran him off.  I get why Long did it.  I think he could have made it work out if he wanted to but he didnt, so now we have what we have.  Its just sucks that as hard as it is to find a really good coach, we had one--one of only 32 NFL coaches and he came to Ark and in 3 years had us in a BCS bowl and ranked in the Top 5 nationally.  Im sorry but I long (no pun intended) for those days.  I could care less who BP was banging.  Thats between him and his wife.  Wasnt cool that he hired her with taxpayer money but much worse has been done.   We had him and told him to hit the road for cause so we didnt have to pay him big $$$.  Now a lot of us regret it. Bobby is doing just fine.  We didnt end his coaching career.  He is doing better than we are so who showed who???

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 14, 2017, 07:34:40 pm
(And I bring it up because I hope either our current coach can develop it or our next coach has it.)

Attention to detail. I had the opportunity to watch one of our practices, and I saw him sprint 30 yards after a play to rip a player for taking a wrong step. Lou Holtz was also like that; demanding. Intense. Our secondary coach when I was a student was a guy named Rich Olson. I saw Lou stop practice one day to climb all over Olson like he was a piece of playground equipment.
Too bad banging a pretty blonde volleyball player causes one's attention to slip.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

hoglady

Well, I'm looking forward to watching Louisville and Clemson Saturday.
Not sure Bobby's got the team to beat Clemson, but it is fun to watch an offense that you know every snap could go for touchdown. There's always that anticipation of a big play - because you know he's got them in his pocket, you just don't know when they're coming.
That's what I miss.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

rtr

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 14, 2017, 09:20:22 pm
He did   2010 offense was a thing of beauty after he remembered the running game after Bama.  Big arm qb and good WRs pressuring the defense vertically.  Good RBs.   Excellent TE. 
I believe that is the offense that Bielema dreams of running.

hawgon

Quote from: hoglady on September 14, 2017, 09:24:50 pm
Well, I'm looking forward to watching Louisville and Clemson Saturday.
Not sure Bobby's got the team to beat Clemson, but it is fun to watch an offense that you know every snap could go for touchdown. There's always that anticipation of a big play - because you know he's got them in his pocket, you just don't know when they're coming.
That's what I miss.

Watching a BP game as like watching Nolan's teams where you always knew a run or two was coming.  You always knew there was at least one huge play for a touchdown coming.  2010 at MSU comes to mind where we finally got it to Wright in the 3rd quarter for a long touchdown pass.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rtr on September 14, 2017, 09:26:43 pm

Of course.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Swestwill66 on September 14, 2017, 09:19:42 pm
I wonder what Bobby could do at Florida, LSU or aTm
win an NC.  Seriously. You give him talent those schools regularly recruit and its just a matter of time.

He is a prik.  I get it, but Nick Saban is no warm and fuzzy guy to be around.  I remember when Nick took the LSU job coming out of Mich St.  He hired John Thompson to be the D Coordinator.  Thompson went to Baton Rouge and spent just a little time with Nick and after getting cursed out or watching other assistant coaches get new a-holes torn, Thompson resigned before they ever played a game and he came to Arkansas as our D Coordinator.  Being a great coach and being a great person dont necessarily go hand in hand in big time college football.  Now Im not saying Nicky Nick Saban messes around with co ed volleyball players from Bama. He probably is a better person than BP in that respect but the point is that a lot of times, its the dark side of person that drives him to being successful.

BB is a hell of a fun loving guy but as a head coach in the SEC,  he just might not be able to do it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 09:27:42 pm
Watching a BP game as like watching Nolan's teams where you always knew a run or two was coming.  You always knew there was at least one huge play for a touchdown coming.  2010 at MSU comes to mind where we finally got it to Wright in the 3rd quarter for a long touchdown pass.

This is reminiscent of our fans obsession with Hawg Ball. 

hoglady

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 14, 2017, 09:32:22 pm

Well you have to admit the ending of last year and the beginning of this year have hardly brought much excitement to the fan base. That TCU game was the most boring football game I've seen in a long time.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hoglady on September 14, 2017, 09:35:06 pm
Well you have to admit the ending of last year and the beginning of this year have hardly brought much excitement to the fan base. That TCU game was the most boring football game I've seen in a long time.

Yep. Said it multiple times this week.  Program has no momentum.   

hawgon

Except in this case Nolan didn't get stale and he is still lighting it up at another school.

Don't cry about it.  It is to be expected.  Long rolled the dice and they came up snake eyes.  He might survive this, but I'm betting that he doesn't.  He might not get fired, but he'll slink off in a few years and no matter how long he stays at Arkansas or what else he does, he'll be remembered for firing Petrino.

Swestwill66

Did PETRINO ever have a top 20 recruiting class ? You know you can't win at Arkansas without a top 10 class!

rtr

Could Jeff Brohm be in our future?  How about Ryan Mallet after he is finished with the league.  Ryan certainly knows the offense, he was the only qb who could read a defense and audible into the right play.  He could be our Steve Spurrier.

rtr

If Arkansas is doomed to be 7-8 win program in a good year, at least entertain us.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 09:37:16 pm
Except in this case Nolan didn't get stale and he is still lighting it up at another school.

Don't cry about it.  It is to be expected.  Long rolled the dice and they came up snake eyes.  He might survive this, but I'm betting that he doesn't.  He might not get fired, but he'll slink off in a few years and no matter how long he stays at Arkansas or what else he does, he'll be remembered for firing Petrino.

I don't care if Long or Bielema survive their Arkansas careers much longer. 

In the Hawg Ball case we could satisfy the obsession and someday get closure by hiring Anderson.  Nolan didn't go elsewhere and create an anchor and success to be used against our program but Mike did. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rtr on September 14, 2017, 09:37:55 pm
Could Jeff Brohm be in our future?  How about Ryan Mallet after he is finished with the league.  Ryan certainly knows the offense, he was the only qb who could read a defense and audible into the right play.  He could be our Steve Spurrier.

Started to mention Brohm earlier in thread. 

I don't know about Mallett. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Swestwill66 on September 14, 2017, 09:37:31 pm
Did PETRINO ever have a top 20 recruiting class ? You know you can't win at Arkansas without a top 10 class!

Yes

2009 class

HawgsPolo

Petrino proved that the program can be elevated to a high level and I miss it. It's as simple as that for me.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

rtr

Quote from: HawgsPolo on September 14, 2017, 09:49:13 pm
Petrino proved that the program can be elevated to a high level and I miss it. It's as simple as that for me.
Even ole Hootie almost got that elevator to the top floor at time or two, so it can be done.

Michael_E_Davis

Speaking of Petrino:  They were playing the 2010 Arkansas Georgia game last night.  I hate watching Petrino games because it reminds me of how good we were, and how far we have fallen since then.  Like at the beginning of the game, the third and one trick pass play to Chris Gragg was just brilliant. Bielema would have never tried something like that.

But, I support Bielema because that is who we have right now.  I hope he can make a good season how of what appears to be a mess.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on September 14, 2017, 09:51:12 pm
Speaking of Petrino:  They were playing the 2010 Arkansas Georgia game last night.  I hate watching Petrino games because it reminds me of how good we were, and how far we have fallen since then.  Like at the beginning of the game, the third and one trick pass play to Chris Gragg was just brilliant. Bielema would have never tried something like that.

But, I support Bielema because that is who we have right now.  I hope he can make a good season how of what appears to be a mess.
How about that 4th and short TD pass to Adams vs LSU?  If memory Is serving me right.

hawgon

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 14, 2017, 09:54:00 pm
How about that 4th and short TD pass to Adams vs LSU?  If memory Is serving me right.

Planned that play for over a year.  Remember that?

WilsonHog

Quote from: hoglady on September 14, 2017, 09:35:06 pm

The greatest currency - maybe the only currency - a football coach has is faith and hope. If faith and hope were water right now, Bret could go wading and not get his socks wet.

hoglady

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 09:14:48 pm
Now, now you heard Bert say in his PC yesterday that he doesn't like to get on his players because lots of them have tough backgrounds.

That's a little condescending.
I do think not every player responds positively to being yelled at.
But some of them do.
Not sure that rough backgrounds have much to do with it.

luke hawg

Petrino was also great at beating terrible teams during 2010 and 2011
New Mexico 1-11 W
Missouri state 2-9 W
Ole Miss 2-10 W
Vandy 2-10 W
Tennessee Tech 3-8 W
Troy 3-9 W
Ole Miss 4-8 W
Louisiana Monroe 5-7 W
Tennessee 5-7 W
UTEP 6-7 W
Mississippi State 6-7 W
Georgia 6-7 W
Vandy 6-7 W
TAM 7-6 W
Auburn 8-5 W
USC 9-5 W
TAM 9-4 W
Miss St 9-4 W
Kansas St 10-3 W
USC 11-2 W
LSU 11-2 W
Ohio State 12-1 L
Alabama 10-3 L
Auburn 14-0 L
LSU 13-1 L
Alabama 12-1 L

Overall 186-144

Bielema 2014 and 2015
Texas State 2-10 W
UTEP 5-7 W
Missouri 5-7 W
Ole Miss 5-7 W
ALcorn State 5-6 W
TCU 6-7 W
Miss St 6-7 W
Kansas St 6-7 W
Tenn Tech 7-6 W
Tenn Martin 7-4 W
Auburn 7-6 W
La Tech 9-5 W
Tennessee 9-4 W
Florida 9-4 W
LSU 9-3 W
Toledo 10-2 L
Texas Tech 7-6 L
TAM 8-5 L
TAM 8-5 L
Mississippi State 9-4 L
LSU 8-4 L
Auburn 8-5 L
VA Tech 10-4 L
Bama 14-1 L
Bama 14-1 L
Missouri 4-8 L

Overall 200-127

Petrino teams were better in year 3-4 but benefited from a weaker schedule.

rtr

Quote from: luke hawg on September 14, 2017, 09:59:56 pm
New Mexico 1-11 W
Missouri state 2-9 W
Ole Miss 2-10 W
Vandy 2-10 W
Tennessee Tech 3-8 W
Troy 3-9 W
Ole Miss 4-8 W
Louisiana Monroe 5-7 W
Tennessee 5-7 W
UTEP 6-7 W
Mississippi State 6-7 W
Georgia 6-7 W
Vandy 6-7 W
TAM 7-6 W
Auburn 8-5 W
USC 9-5 W
TAM 9-4 W
Miss St 9-4 W
Kansas St 10-3 W
USC 11-2 W
LSU 11-2 W
Ohio State 12-1 L
Alabama 10-3 L
Auburn 14-0 L
LSU 13-1 L
Alabama 12-1 L

Overall 186-144

Bielema 2014 and 2015
Texas State 2-10 W
UTEP 5-7 W
Missouri 5-7 W
Ole Miss 5-7 W
ALcorn State 5-6 W
TCU 6-7 W
Miss St 6-7 W
Kansas St 6-7 W
Tenn Tech 7-6 W
Tenn Martin 7-4 W
Auburn 7-6 W
La Tech 9-5 W
Tennessee 9-4 W
Florida 9-4 W
LSU 9-3 W
Toledo 10-2 L
Texas Tech 7-6 L
TAM 8-5 L
TAM 8-5 L
Mississippi State 9-4 L
LSU 8-4 L
Auburn 8-5 L
VA Tech 10-4 L
Bama 14-1 L
Bama 14-1 L
Missouri 4-8 L

Overall 200-127

Well beating weaker teams is important, quite important.  We have found this out recently. 

hoglady

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 14, 2017, 09:57:50 pm
The greatest currency - maybe the only currency - a football coach has is faith and hope. If faith and hope were water right now, Bret could go wading and not get his socks wet.

Lots of truth in that.

What a good thread without too many jabs and uppercuts.  Petrino was just fun to watch.  Even if it wasn't so, we were pretty sure we had a chance any time we teed it up.  We could see other teams felt that way too.  They quit marking us down as a win for them like they had when Nutt was the coach.  Even in losses, Petrino made you feel like we left it all on the field.  The only time I ever disagreed with the Petrino offense, he would sometimes bring in the big RB we got from USC.  Everyone knew he would get the ball if in the game and he almost always did.  He was keyed on often under those circumstances.

As for Bret dreaming about a smooth running offense, I believe he once wanted to dream but realized that took energy and just decided it wasn't worth it.

LRrazorback

Quote from: luke hawg on September 14, 2017, 09:59:56 pm
New Mexico 1-11 W
Missouri state 2-9 W
Ole Miss 2-10 W
Vandy 2-10 W
Tennessee Tech 3-8 W
Troy 3-9 W
Ole Miss 4-8 W
Louisiana Monroe 5-7 W
Tennessee 5-7 W
UTEP 6-7 W
Mississippi State 6-7 W
Georgia 6-7 W
Vandy 6-7 W
TAM 7-6 W
Auburn 8-5 W
USC 9-5 W
TAM 9-4 W
Miss St 9-4 W
Kansas St 10-3 W
USC 11-2 W
LSU 11-2 W
Ohio State 12-1 L
Alabama 10-3 L
Auburn 14-0 L
LSU 13-1 L
Alabama 12-1 L

Overall 186-144

Bielema 2014 and 2015
Texas State 2-10 W
UTEP 5-7 W
Missouri 5-7 W
Ole Miss 5-7 W
ALcorn State 5-6 W
TCU 6-7 W
Miss St 6-7 W
Kansas St 6-7 W
Tenn Tech 7-6 W
Tenn Martin 7-4 W
Auburn 7-6 W
La Tech 9-5 W
Tennessee 9-4 W
Florida 9-4 W
LSU 9-3 W
Toledo 10-2 L
Texas Tech 7-6 L
TAM 8-5 L
TAM 8-5 L
Mississippi State 9-4 L
LSU 8-4 L
Auburn 8-5 L
VA Tech 10-4 L
Bama 14-1 L
Bama 14-1 L
Missouri 4-8 L

Overall 200-127

Really. Petrino beat every team he was favored to beat.  Don't try and compare these two coaches, they're on totally different levels.

presidenthog

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 07:53:12 pm
Bert's habit of crapping the bed early, means that almost all of our games are meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

This. My brother was like what if we win all but lsu and bama from here. I told him all the wins don't mean crap if you lose early.

Sed76

And to further rub salt in the wound watch Louisville beat Clemson and end up in playoffs while we don't even become bowl eligible. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

jimmiewkersh

I remember one of the Warren receivers saying Petrino would make them run their route and then measure the steps and the time it took them to get to their location to catch the ball.  He expected them to keep the same steps and speed because all of the timing routes were based on this measurement.  That is attention to detail.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: rtr on September 14, 2017, 09:26:43 pm
I just can't see Coach B caring or dreaming much, if any, about any of that football related mumbo jumbo.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 14, 2017, 08:21:07 pm
Just find one of Bobby Petrino's coaches shows while he was at Arkansas and watch him break down film. The man was/is a savant of football. He may have other problems but there is not a better football mind in the college game today. Basically Long fired an A student and brought in a guy who wrote him a nice hand-written letter. You see where our program has gone and I think CBB is doing his dead-level best. This is what is sad.

Nope.

Probably the most-detailed minds in college football.

Nick Saban
Brent Venables
Dave Aranda
Gary Patterson
Jim Harbaugh

Robert Petrino is 0-4 against Saban.

Robert Petrino is 0-3 against Venables.

Robert Petrino got schooled by Aranda in the Louisville/LSU bowl game.

Razorbax

So which of those teams he lost to had lesser talent?
Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 14, 2017, 10:37:50 pm
Nope.

Probably the most-detailed minds in college football.

Nick Saban
Brent Venables
Dave Aranda
Gary Patterson
Jim Harbaugh

Robert Petrino is 0-4 against Saban.

Robert Petrino is 0-3 against Venables.

Robert Petrino got schooled by Aranda in the Louisville/LSU bowl game.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Razorbax on September 14, 2017, 10:40:39 pm
So which of those teams he lost to had lesser talent?

An argument could be made that Robert Petrino had more talent last season than Clemson and LSU.

Robert had the Heisman winning QB last season.
Robert had 6 Senior starters on offense last season.
Robert had 4 Senior starters on defense last season, each of whom were NFL draft prospects.

factchecker

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 14, 2017, 10:52:04 pm
An argument could be made that Robert Petrino had more talent last season than Clemson and LSU.

Robert had 4 Senior starters on defense last season, each of whom were NFL draft prospects.

Robert for sure had more talent than Houston and Kentucky last season.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Razorbax

Only a fool will make the argument....Louisville had 2 players drafted last year. A 6th and 7th round picks. LSU had 8. Included were 3 first round picks, a 2nd and 2 3rds. Clemson had 6 draft picks. Including 2 first round picks, a 3rd, 2 4ths and a fifth.
I will also bet you LSU and Clemson will have more draft picks in the upcoming draft.
Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 14, 2017, 10:52:04 pm

Razorbax

Kentucky had the better recruiting class in 4 of the last 5 years per 247. So no, it is not "for sure".
Quote from: factchecker on September 14, 2017, 10:56:30 pm
Robert for sure had more talent than Houston and Kentucky last season.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Sed76 on September 14, 2017, 08:12:55 pm
I miss the halftime adjustments. Remember that A&M game in 2011 where we were getting beat handily in the first half. Petrino went off in the locker room and we came back to win that game. Can't see that happening under this coaching staff.

Or the Vandy game where his adjustments caused our LB to score an 80 yard td to save our butts. Or the time he adjusted to win the Sugar Bowl. Man I miss those adjustments. Don't you?  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Razorbax on September 14, 2017, 11:02:16 pm
Only a fool will make the argument....Louisville had 2 players drafted last year. A 6th and 7th round picks. LSU had 8. Included were 3 first round picks, a 2nd and 2 3rds. Clemson had 6 draft picks. Including 2 first round picks, a 3rd, 2 4ths and a fifth.
I will also beat you LSU and Clemson will have more draft picks in the upcoming draft.

Clemson and LSU didn't have a Heisman winning QB.

As far as I know, Clemson and LSU didn't have 10 Senior starters on their starting 22.

Robert had the above, and he still didn't get the job done.

Razorbax

What good is a senior starter if he isn't very good? Only 2 players from all that talent were draft...Barely drafted. Again, only a fool will make that argument.
Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 14, 2017, 11:11:26 pm
Clemson and LSU didn't have a Heisman winning QB.

As far as I know, Clemson and LSU didn't have 10 Senior starters on their starting 22.

Robert had the above, and he still didn't get the job done.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Razorbax on September 14, 2017, 11:14:40 pm
What good is a senior starter if he isn't very good? Only 2 players from all that talent were draft...Barely drafted. Again, only a fool will make that argument.

Those 10 Senior starters Robert had last season on his starting 22 were very experienced players.

There is something that can be said about a lot of prior playing experience.  After all, that is the argument that gets used by the Bielema supporters who say Bielema needs a 6th season (the 5th year Senior aspect).

Razorbax

Experienced? The discussion was about talent.....Remember this quote: "An argument could be made that Robert Petrino had more talent last season than Clemson and LSU." Wonder who said it?....And the draft showed your statement was far from reality.
Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 14, 2017, 11:19:26 pm
Those 10 Senior starters Robert had last season on his starting 22 were very experienced players.

There is something that can be said about a lot of prior playing experience.  After all, that is the argument that gets used by the Bielema supporters who say Bielema needs a 6th season (the 5th year Senior aspect).

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Razorbax on September 14, 2017, 11:25:51 pm
Experienced? The discussion was about talent.....Remember this quote: "An argument could be made that Robert Petrino had more talent last season than Clemson and LSU." Wonder who said it?....And the draft showed your statement was far from reality.

Well, experienced players usually equates to talented players.

If they weren't talented players, then they wouldn't have got all of that prior playing experience.

Razorbax

No they don't. An example would be the Louisville senior starters.
quote author=GoHogs1091 link=topic=637441.msg10959460#msg10959460 date=1505449695]
Well, experienced players usually equates to talented players.

If they weren't talented players, then they wouldn't have got all of that prior playing experience.
[/quote]

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 08:01:12 pm
One detail that I would like corch to pay attention to, is that the season always starts around the first weekend in September not a month later.

One tiny little detail!