Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One thing I do miss about Petrino

Started by WilsonHog, September 14, 2017, 07:34:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cstrickl21

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 14, 2017, 07:34:40 pm
(And I bring it up because I hope either our current coach can develop it or our next coach has it.)

Attention to detail. I had the opportunity to watch one of our practices, and I saw him sprint 30 yards after a play to rip a player for taking a wrong step. Lou Holtz was also like that; demanding. Intense. Our secondary coach when I was a student was a guy named Rich Olson. I saw Lou stop practice one day to climb all over Olson like he was a piece of playground equipment.

I saw Petrino rip a crew of volunteer SEC refs for a blown PI call during a scrimmage where no one was in the stadium but the team....

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 14, 2017, 09:21:28 pm
excellent post 1969.  You are right on.  But like Jake the Snake said in one of his posts, many of these threads evolve into a lovefest for BP and unfortunately BP isnt coming back. Im as guilty as anyone of bringing his name up mainly because we freakin had an excellent coach who could take some decent recruits but not great and make them into something.  We had him.  We could have kept him, but in our haste to become Integrity U, we ran him off.  I get why Long did it.  I think he could have made it work out if he wanted to but he didnt, so now we have what we have.  Its just sucks that as hard as it is to find a really good coach, we had one--one of only 32 NFL coaches and he came to Ark and in 3 years had us in a BCS bowl and ranked in the Top 5 nationally.  Im sorry but I long (no pun intended) for those days.  I could care less who BP was banging.  Thats between him and his wife.  Wasnt cool that he hired her with taxpayer money but much worse has been done.   We had him and told him to hit the road for cause so we didnt have to pay him big $$$.  Now a lot of us regret it. Bobby is doing just fine.  We didnt end his coaching career.  He is doing better than we are so who showed who???
I agree with everything you said except the money and hiring thing. Petrino had to get the approval of one Jeffie Long to hire the woman. If Petrino didn't hire her who was cutting her the checks with the UA logo on them ? Another rhetorical question, because Jeffie Long HAD to have put his stamp of approval on the hiring or she doesn't get paid by the UA. Now Bobby did loan her or give her some of his money but IMO that's his business. Bad business, but his business none the less. Oh well, as you say we are yearning for days that will never come again. We have become the RICE of the old SWC and have taken Mississippi State's place as the decent but always beatable team in the SEC. It's really a sad situation.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 14, 2017, 09:17:03 pm
Fatass Bert falls asleep during film sessions.

Can you imagine Saban falling asleep during a film session?

I hate Internet cowards who call the staff names, yet don't have the manhood to travel to the Hill and call them out.

Go get'em big fella! You be the man!  8)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 09:27:42 pm
Watching a BP game as like watching Nolan's teams where you always knew a run or two was coming.  You always knew there was at least one huge play for a touchdown coming.  2010 at MSU comes to mind where we finally got it to Wright in the 3rd quarter for a long touchdown pass.

Yah! Yah! You are right. Man he could do that magic. I remember that great comeback in the Sugar Bowl where we won... oh wait.

Or that year where we had Saban figured out. We almost beat him the year before and this was going to be the year. Ole CBP was a genius and he was going to show Saban a thing or two. His mastery of the offense was going to confuse that vaunted Bama defense. We didn't need Willie to pull out a miracle because we were going to run over the Bama D.

What was that score? I forget, but it was amazing how his genius worked. Just like his offensive genius worked at Vandy.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HawgsPolo on September 14, 2017, 09:49:13 pm
Petrino proved that the program can be elevated to a high level and I miss it. It's as simple as that for me.

Again would you morons look at the in-state recruits from that team. How often does that happen for our State?

Hollywood_HOGan45

Porkchop#1

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 15, 2017, 05:43:28 am
Again would you moron look at our last three games, outscored 70-0 in the 2nd half?
FIFY

Razorbax

I am guessing you already know the answer.....How many 1st and 2nd round talent from that team? Hell, how many 3rd rounders? How many made any impact in the NFL once they were out of the CBP's system?. How does a QB go from being a Heisman candidate, was considered at worst, the second best QB in the country in CBP's offense to a fourth round pick and out of the NFL in 2 seasons without that system? How does a coach from 2008~2011 have only 9 total players drafted and still win 10 and 11 games in 2010 and 2011? They were not the "once in a generation" type players you keep pressing to minimize the impact of CBP. Rather, they were good players in a great system. The system made them great and once they left the system, they reverted to just being good.

Again would you morons look at the in-state recruits from that team. How often does that happen for our State?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Razorbax on September 15, 2017, 06:43:39 am
I am guessing you already know the answer.....How many 1st and 2nd round talent from that team? Hell, how many 3rd rounders? How many made any impact in the NFL once they were out of the CBP's system?. How does a QB go from being a Heisman candidate, was considered at worst, the second best QB in the country in CBP's offense to a fourth round pick and out of the NFL in 2 seasons without that system? How does a coach from 2008~2011 have only 9 total players drafted and still win 10 and 11 games in 2010 and 2011? They were not the "once in a generation" type players you keep pressing to minimize the impact of CBP. Rather, they were good players in a great system. The system made them great and once they left the system, they reverted to just being good.

See your love for this coach causes you to have faulty thinking. Since those guys have left how many WRs and QBs have come to their level?

And let's not minimize the knee injuries that ended Child career before it started. Wright made a team, Mallett, Adams, etc.. all made NFL teams.

That is the formula that has worked for EVERY great Razorback team -  high numbers of in state players with talent. Happened with Broyles, Nutt, and Petrino. We have yet to have that kind of class with CBB.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on September 15, 2017, 06:34:56 am
FIFY

I came off the CBB bandwagon after this last game. I am only going after these morons who think CBP is the end all be all.

Torqued pork

Bielema's recruiting classes have ranked at least as good or better than Petrino's classes and the retention has been better. The differences in the two are that Bobby's teams   didn't lose games they should've won while the expectations continue to be lowered to accommodate Bret.

The obvious difference between the coaching intensity of the two doesn't inspire confidence  that Bret will ever maximize the talent available to him. He often seems like a only slightly interested bystander.

JaketheSnake

Remember the time Bobby Petrino showed up at halftime and the mud dogs won the Bourbon Bowl?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Torqued pork on September 15, 2017, 06:59:21 am
Bielema's recruiting classes have ranked at least as good or better than Petrino's classes and the retention has been better. The differences in the two are that Bobby's teams   didn't lose games they should've won while the expectations continue to be lowered to accommodate Bret.

The obvious difference between the coaching intensity of the two doesn't inspire confidence  that Bret will ever maximize the talent available to him. He often seems like a only slightly interested bystander.

The difference is also the recruiting rankings from the other teams in the West.

But I do have my doubts he is the guy to get it done.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 14, 2017, 09:54:00 pm
How about that 4th and short TD pass to Adams vs LSU?  If memory Is serving me right.
You mean this one?
<===
Cobi.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Hoggie17

What I miss about Petrino is the 10 and 11 win seasons.

Torqued pork

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 15, 2017, 07:08:09 am
The difference is also the recruiting rankings from the other teams in the West.

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 15, 2017, 07:08:09 am

That would be a relative statement if we weren't losing to Mizzou, Toledo and Miss. St. four out of the last five years. Let's not forget the Va. Tech collapse either. The TCU loss had a depressing feel of normalcy to it in the Bielema era.

hogcard1964

Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 14, 2017, 08:18:17 pm
Either stone face or this

I always think back fondly of his rant at one of the sideline judges during I believe a South Carolina game, when after a blown call Bobby was screaming "if you stand by that f*&%$ng bulls*&t call, have the guts to look my player in the face."

LRrazorback

You mean like Joe Adams who was committed to USC before CBP got him to switch. Or are you talking about jarious wright who was headed to tx tech and got him to switch. Or Ryan mallet who was at a different school and he convinced him to transfer.  Add in the other two from warren and that's five total guys from AR who were heavy contributors. It takes more than 5 to make a bcs worthy team so, where did the others come from? 

Think before you disprove your own point. To disparage anything the guy did on the field proves your ignorance

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: LRrazorback on September 15, 2017, 08:13:58 am
You mean like Joe Adams who was committed to USC before CBP got him to switch. Or are you talking about jarious wright who was headed to tx tech and got him to switch. Or Ryan mallet who was at a different school and he convinced him to transfer.  Add in the other two from warren and that's five total guys from AR who were heavy contributors. It takes more than 5 to make a bcs worthy team so, where did the others come from? 

Think before you disprove your own point. To disparage anything the guy did on the field proves your ignorance

He didn't convince Mallett to transfer.  Rich Rod getting hired did.  This is what I'm talking about in the Legend of Bobby from the cult members. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GuvHog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 14, 2017, 08:25:07 pm
I miss the wins. 

I also miss the times that every thread in MMQB didnt morph into lost lovers of Bobby P.

He was a great coach and I love winning.  He's not here anymore and the fanbase needs to quit being the girlfriend that cannt get over him.

It's not Bobby that some can't get over, it's the winning. There is nothing wrong with wanting to win again like the Hogs did in 2010 and 2011. It's hard to forget those years with the mess we have now.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hawgon

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 15, 2017, 08:15:56 am
He didn't convince Mallett to transfer.  Rich Rod getting hired did.  This is what I'm talking about in the Legend of Bobby from the cult members.

Well, I can tell you for a fact that Ryan Mallett would not have transferred to Arkansas if Houston Nutt had still been the coach.

jgphillips3

I miss the will to win and the absolute hatred of losing.  Also, at least back then I knew we were prepared.

jkstock04

Quote from: GuvHog on September 15, 2017, 08:45:30 am
It's not Bobby that some can't get over, it's the winning. There is nothing wrong with wanting to win again like the Hogs did in 2010 and 2011. It's hard to forget those years with the mess we have now.
These people don't get that. Whoever our coach is they worship like a God no matter who it is. Bret Bielema could walk midfield 50 yard line in the middle of the next home game, bite the head off of a live chicken and swallow it whole, and these same guys would make excuses for it.

These coaches are as temporary as it gets. Rarely even from Arkansas. When they are long gone we will still be here calling the Hogs. Ive never understood this notion of putting outsider coaches on a pedestal above the university. That's what you see though. I enjoy WINNING. I don't care who the coach is if he can win.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

JaketheSnake

Quote from: LRrazorback on September 15, 2017, 08:13:58 am

Yeah... bc what athletes like those would not want to commit to a program that had no coach at the time?

Those guys were likely headed to Arkansas in the end, but  no one can every prove or disprove that.

Arkansas' best seasons have always been built around in-state talent.  There are always going to HAVE to be out of state guys in the mix.

jkstock04

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 15, 2017, 09:00:01 am

Those guys were likely headed to Arkansas in the end, but  no one can every prove or disprove that.

This is hilarious. To see you guys bend over backwards, sideways, and forwards in order to discredit someone winning here because Bielema cant is hilarious.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

EastexHawg

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 15, 2017, 05:27:15 am
I hate Internet cowards who call the staff names, yet don't have the manhood to travel to the Hill and call them out.

So now the criterion is who could beat up Bielema?  "Bret would stomp a mudhole in you if y'all sumo wrestled, so your point is invalid." 

Bielema gets paid $4.4 million to be on the big stage, and being critiqued by the fans comes with the territory.  Besides, Stevie Wonder could tell you that he looks like he swallowed a Toyota since he was announced as our coach five years ago.

Razorbax

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 15, 2017, 06:54:51 am
See your love for this coach causes you to have faulty thinking. BS....In those 4 years, he averaged a little more than 2 players a year drafted. Now compare it to the other SEC schools during the same period. Since those guys have left how many WRs and QBs have come to their level? Exactly....Since CBP was gone it hasn't happened...Why not? You and your fellow cheerleaders been pushing CBP couldn't recruit and at the same time, ramming the "CBB has taken us to unknown heights in recruiting crap" for the last 5 years.

And let's not minimize the knee injuries that ended Child career before it started. Injury in college.....We do not know what might have been. Therefore, lets not "maximize" his impact without injuries. Wright made a team,  Mallett, Adams, etc.. all made NFL teams. made the team.....Wright averages 28 catches a year and is a now the 5th receiver on the Vikings. A cut candidate going forward. Mallett was not in the same class. But even if he was included, he averaged less than 40 completions a year should tell you all you need to know. A perpetual backup. Adams.......He got cut after his first year and cut by every other team that took a chance. That includes 2 CFL teams. Joe is the prime example of a CBP'system player. A receiver with average speed, average size, bad hands and a problem with fumbles. Joe even being drafted is a miracle.

That is the formula that has worked for EVERY great Razorback team -  high numbers of in state players with talent. Happened with Broyles, Nutt, and Petrino. We have yet to have that kind of class with CBB. That class, based on pure talent, is the most overrated class. It is overrated because your hatred for CBP  means minimizing the accomplishments of those teams and minimize the impact of CBP's coaching. That is why you and your "friends" gleefully mention we didn't beat OSU in the Sugar, excitedly meantion the losses verses Alabama and celebrate any misstep during 2008~2011.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 15, 2017, 09:03:27 am
This is hilarious. To see you guys bend over backwards, sideways, and forwards in order to discredit someone winning here because Bielema cant is hilarious.
Please tell me where I have discredited anyone.  I've give all the credit that was due to BP.  In this thread, I talked about one of my favorite plays when he was here.  I have not taken anything away from CBP.  He was a great coach and I'd give anything to go back in time keep him away from that blonde. 

But he isnt our coach anymore.  And those guys grew up RAZORBACK fans.  They had every opportunity to go to another program and in the end still chose to be Razorbacks.  That likely had little to do with who our coach was at that time. 

I agree with Hawgon above, that if we still had Nutt then we would not have got Mallett back.  The rest of those guys may have still been hogs. 

So go ahead and "bend over backwards, sideways, and forwards in order to discredit" that.  Or "bend over backwards, sideways, and forwards in order to" give someone more credit than they may actually deserve bc you are currently unhappy.

Razorbax

He did convince him to come to Arkansas.
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 15, 2017, 08:15:56 am

Razorbax

I think you misunderstood Ex....Surf was calling out Chitown for calling people morons.
Quote from: EastexHawg on September 15, 2017, 09:06:52 am
So now the criterion is who could beat up Bielema?  "Bret would stomp a mudhole in you if y'all sumo wrestled, so your point is invalid." 

Bielema gets paid $4.4 million to be on the big stage, and being critiqued by the fans comes with the territory.  Besides, Stevie Wonder could tell you that he looks like he swallowed a Toyota since he was announced as our coach five years ago.

Sho Nuff

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 14, 2017, 07:45:19 pm
When he was at Notre Dame, Holtz had a receiver named Pat Terrell. Great athlete, terrible hands. Tony Rice threw Terrell a pass in practice one day that was dropped. Holtz never said a word to Terrell. Instead, he walked up to Rice, stuck his finger in Rice's chest, and said, "That's your fault for throwing him the ball. I don't care if Terrell is so open you could walk over and hand him the ball. If he's your only option, throw the damn ball away."

Terrell subsequently became one helluva fine DB for the Irish.
I saw that recently while watching "Catholics vs. Convicts"  That is best 30 for 30 I have seen!  I loved the part where Lou, after a pre-game brawl between the Miami and Notre Dame players, told his team that h better not catch them acting like that during the game.  But, if they wanted to fight they were welcome to meet the Miami players in the parking lot after the game, but they had to save Jimmy Johnson's ass for him!

Gonzo

Two posts and 16 minutes apart. Ironic much?

Go Hogs!

Gonzo

Quote from: Razorbax on September 15, 2017, 06:43:39 am

Glad to see I'm not the only one making this argument.

Go Hogs!

Gonzo

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 15, 2017, 07:06:35 am
Remember the time Bobby Petrino showed up at halftime and the mud dogs won the Bourbon Bowl?

Well played sir ;)     BP could coach him some foosball

Go Hogs!

tbhogfan

Bobby up 3-0

Bobby up 63-7

My greatest regret is that I cannot warp time, go back and flatten both tires on his motorcycle.
Go Hogs!

JaketheSnake

Quote from: tbhogfan on September 15, 2017, 09:58:20 am
Bobby up 3-0

Bobby up 63-7

My greatest regret is that I cannot warp time, go back and flatten both tires on his motorcycle.
Or cut his balls off!

hoglady

All you have to ask yourself is if you were a happier Hog fan in 2010 and 2011 / or now 2016 and 2017 (to date).
Don't even consider who the head coach was.
I personally prefer 2010 and 2011 - so yes no matter the coach I miss those years.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogfanincajunland

Long time lurker here. Mostly because people have their own opinions and there's no point trying to change them. Just wanted to be the person, on here, with the lowest post count.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: hoglady on September 15, 2017, 10:49:54 am
All you have to ask yourself is if you were a happier Hog fan in 2010 and 2011 / or now 2016 and 2017 (to date).
Don't even consider who the head coach was.
I personally prefer 2010 and 2011 - so yes no matter the coach I miss those years.
Pretty simple isn't it.

Bebop

In my book, Petrino is not a perfect coach but he sure is a lot better than what we have now.

I would get mad at the bend-don't-break defense that we had with Petrino, but it was better than what we had last year with Bielema. I would get mad at the 3rd and Broderick running play being predictable and not working at times, but at least it seems like we had more success in the red zone than with Bielema. I would get made mad at Petrino for not running the ball enough, but at the passing game seemed to make up for it (except Sugar Bowl).

The only thing that is comparable to Petrino and Bielema is the running game, in my opinion. Williams and Collins were a great tandem. Davis and Johnson were also good backs for Petrino.

HardCore

I miss the Sugar Bowl vs. the Belk and Liberty Bowls
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

porkrindjimmy

I guarandamntee I got the manhood to travel to the hill and call him out.....

PRJ

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 15, 2017, 09:34:09 pm

PRJ
Well, hit that line...
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 15, 2017, 09:36:03 pm
Well, hit that line...

It's coming...can I count on you being there in your Bret Mascot suit?

PRJ

ronmahony

That's the thing, I keep waiting for halftime for the B.P. adjustments and we don't ever make them. Even at times when everyone on  hogville, in the stands, the announcers, even the cheerleaders know what is going wrong and needs to be changed. I mean seriously what do they do at halftime? With Bobby I always felt like we had a chance after halftime.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

870hogfan

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 15, 2017, 09:34:09 pm

PRJ

Oh gosh you're back....

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 15, 2017, 09:38:18 pm
It's coming...can I count on you being there in your Bret Mascot suit?

PRJ
If I'm there it will be for comedy relief....
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

porkrindjimmy

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 15, 2017, 09:41:35 pm
Split a gut hoss....

PRJ
I did the first time, I can only hope the second act is as good.