Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Numbers I've not heard discussed

Started by The OTR, September 14, 2017, 04:34:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The OTR

Of course I haven't read everything here so maybe it's already been discussed. I can only stand so much of this place so my apologies if someone has already pointed this out.

I've heard a lot about how CBB is 0-15 at Arkansas after trailing at the half.

He's 26-27 overall which means he's lost 12 out of 38 games, or nearly 1/3 of  our games when when tied or leading at the half.

I don't know which statistic is worse. Losing every game that we're behind in or losing 1/3 of the ones that we're either ahead or tied. What in the world are we doing at halftime of these games? I think I know but don't want this thread to turn into that discussion as some of you seem too focused on that.

thebignasty

What do you think the half time snack is and do you have any thoughts on its bearing on this trend?

The OTR

Quote from: thebignasty on September 14, 2017, 04:35:29 pm
What do you think the half time snack is and do you have any thoughts on its bearing on this trend?

Now I already said I don't want this thread to turn into a PB & J debate.  I'm just wondering if we even attempt to make any adjustments at halftime or if the coaches are so out of breath after running off the field that they don't have enough steam to do any work with the team. Or maybe the players just aren't in as good of shape as the teams we play. 

Maybe all this hot weather/cold weather favors the hogs stuff isn't true.

jabberjawls

So we have been trailing at halftime in only 15 of the 53 games?  If that's the case i would like to know how many games we were leading at halftime and subsequently lost.  Anyone know the answers?

The OTR

Quote from: jabberjawls on September 14, 2017, 04:41:05 pm
So we have been trailing at halftime in only 15 of the 53 games?  If that's the case i would like to know how many games we were leading at halftime and subsequently lost.  Anyone know the answers?

Someone with better math skill than me is going to have to figure that one up.  I guess that means we've only been behind 28% of the time. And we've lost 51% of the time.

Any way you add this up it's pretty ugly and there has to be a logical explanation for why we are so bad in the second half.  I just don't know what it is. Maybe someone in here has an idea.

The OTR

I want to say thank you for the restraint you have all shown in this thread to not let this become a debate about halftime nutrition. While that could be a part of the answer it does show maturity on the part of this board that only the big nasty has made a futile attempt to drag this thread into the seedy underworld of peanut butter sandwiches.  That's a sure way to get this one tossed into the trash.

Thanks, Hogville, for rising above. 

thebignasty

I just don't see the point in avoiding the elephant in the room here- and I don't mean Alabama.

I've played a lot of sports in my time and no winning team I was ever a part of had pbjs anywhere near the proceedings.  Just have to wonder who's job it is to evaluate these kinds of things and why they aren't looking at big league chew or sunflower seeds.  The dietary regimen of winners,  in my battle tested opinion.

jrulz83

Simple solutions, halftime adjustments I want to see:

1) Give the receivers a shot of prune juice, they'll outrun everybody.

2) Switch to Captains Wafers instead of Wonderbread.

3) Stop using Bama Jelly.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

The OTR

Quote from: thebignasty on September 14, 2017, 05:36:15 pm
I just don't see the point in avoiding the elephant in the room here- and I don't mean Alabama.

I've played a lot of sports in my time and no winning team I was ever a part of had pbjs anywhere near the proceedings.  Just have to wonder who's job it is to evaluate these kinds of things and why they aren't looking at big league chew or sunflower seeds.  The dietary regimen of winners,  in my battle tested opinion.

I've often wondered that myself, usually here on Hogville, and my musings invariably lead to trouble for me.

When you start seeing a disturbing trend such as this where the numbers are overwhelmingly horrible in terms of second half performances I do not understand why any and every subject is not on the table when it comes to this program.  To my knowledge we've never had a coach who is proponent of eating like this at halftime.  I mean maybe a half a sandwich or some orange slices but how many sandwiches are our guys eating?

thebignasty

I'd like to see one of our resident statisticians or math gurus like benny or biggus take a look at schools who serve Pepsi and their winning percentage versus schools who serve coca cola.

I have a hunch, but I don't want to be disparaging until one of those eggheads figures it out for me.

thebignasty

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on September 14, 2017, 05:55:29 pm
I've often wondered that myself, usually here on Hogville, and my musings invariably lead to trouble for me.

When you start seeing a disturbing trend such as this where the numbers are overwhelmingly horrible in terms of second half performances I do not understand why any and every subject is not on the table when it comes to this program.  To my knowledge we've never had a coach who is proponent of eating like this at halftime.  I mean maybe a half a sandwich or some orange slices but how many sandwiches are our guys eating?

No way Saban lets any of his players eat.  They get hooked up to the dietician approved feeding tube at regular intervals.  That's what winning looks like.

Rudy Baylor

not trying to call people out or anything, but this thread is just weird

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: jabberjawls on September 14, 2017, 04:41:05 pm

I think you're the only sane person is this thread so far except me

The OTR

If any of the rest of us were performing this poorly after lunch every day they'd be drug testing us and trying to figure out what was going on.

Or more likely they'd just fire us.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on September 14, 2017, 07:53:33 pm
If any of the rest of us were performing this poorly after lunch every day they'd be drug testing us and trying to figure out what was going on.

Or more likely they'd just fire us.

So, do we need to just spike the halftime jelly with 5 hr energy shots and mini thins to see what happens?
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

The OTR

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on September 14, 2017, 08:24:40 pm
So, do we need to just spike the halftime jelly with 5 hr energy shots and mini thins to see what happens?

I think a Gatorade and a couple of orange slices might be worth a try. 

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on September 14, 2017, 08:29:40 pm
I think a Gatorade and a couple of orange slices might be worth a try. 

I agree. Gotta do something different to get different results. Does anyone know if there is an anti-Indonesian Silat weapon and blow dart policy at DWRRS?
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: thebignasty on September 14, 2017, 05:36:15 pm

PB&J is for CLOSERS.!!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

thebignasty

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on September 14, 2017, 08:36:11 pm
I agree. Gotta do something different to get different results. Does anyone know if there is an anti-Indonesian Silat weapon and blow dart policy at DWRRS?

I think the state legislature is working on it but Jeff LONG ON INTEGRITY is trying to hold em' back with a pepsi in one hand and a double decker pbj in the other.

The OTR

I know when I'm exercising or it's really hot I don't feel like eating and if I do I'm going to feel like sitting down and not doing anything. 

I would think the jelly sandwiches would work better when it's cold or at the very least cool outside.  Maybe it worked for CBB in Wisconsin.  Sure isn't working here.  Nothing else is working very well either so it all fits together.

The OTR

I wish someone would ask him about it during a press conference or post game interview. I'm sure that will never happen and we will all remain in the dark about this secret and sacred halftime Razorback ritual.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: thebignasty on September 14, 2017, 08:40:17 pm
I think the state legislature is working on it but Jeff LONG ON INTEGRITY is trying to hold em' back with a pepsi in one hand and a double decker pbj in the other.

Maybe we should scale down to something more manageable, like an atlatl or a woomera. Maybe a bullroarer too, to be safe.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: thebignasty on September 14, 2017, 06:48:00 pm
No way Saban lets any of his players eat.  They get hooked up to the dietician approved feeding tube at regular intervals.  That's what winning looks like.
heck, I figure they are all cyborgs and at halftime, they get plugged into a charging facility so they wont run down in the 2nd half cause they are simply on a different level than the rest of college FB players.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on September 14, 2017, 08:44:02 pm
I know when I'm exercising or it's really hot I don't feel like eating and if I do I'm going to feel like sitting down and not doing anything. 

I would think the jelly sandwiches would work better when it's cold or at the very least cool outside.  Maybe it worked for CBB in Wisconsin.  Sure isn't working here.  Nothing else is working very well either so it all fits together.

You think the team is getting the bulk of the good French fries from the Catfish Hole during the week leaving 1) them lethargically inept on game day and 2) skimpy French fry portions on the weekend for the every man?  Seems a little too coincidental to me.

NoogaHog

Maybe he should ask Mike Anderson where he keeps the recruiting cold cut tray.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"